What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Official Philadelphia Eagles - NFC EAST CHAMPS*** (1 Viewer)

Great article about Kelly's influence on the Patriots (record-breaking) offensive system:http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/10/08/patriots-huddle-relies-power-one/nHTapuVnBOwfFlffwTrN6J/story.html

@JayGlazer: I'm told after Brian Kelly flirtation Eagles and Chip re-started talks but never got serious until last 24 hours@JordanRaanan: As I said from beginning, Chip Kelly was #Eagles' No. 1 or 1a choice. Also, don't necessarily see him needing running QB as most suggest.@willbrinson: Chip Kelly on Nick Foles in 2011: "Hell of a football player. That kid’s a warrior. He’s as good as anyone in the country.”@SheilKapadia: Here's the story from @GregABedard about Kelly's influence on the Patriots' offense: http://t.co/ThQyskTc

Here's Chip Kelly on his offense in the NFL: “There's a lot of ways to play football. Trends go one way and the other. … If you weren't in the room with Amos Alonzo Stagg and Knute Rockne when they invented this game, you stole it from somebody else.“Any coach is going to learn from other people and see how they can implement it in their system. Anything you do has to be personnel driven. You have to adapt to the personnel you have. There's a lot of great offenses out there, but does it fit with the personnel you have? The key is making sure what you're doing is giving your people a chance to be successful.”
@espn_macmahon: RT @LanLocker: Chip Kelly's offense averaged 601 yards and 50 points per game against Monte Kiffin's Tampa 2 defense. (2-1 record)
@AlbertBreer: Big thing on Chip Kelly -- NFL's pursuit of him isn't about offensive scheme, it's about his ability to innovate, adapt and build a program.
Getting to know Chip Kelly
@JasonLaCanfora: Eagles and Kelly could not get together last time due to issues of power. Will be interesting to see if Kelly has final say in personnel

It should be interesting. I am hoping he can get a proven DC on board. Lovie Smith would be great.

Potential defensive coordinator hires:Rob Ryan -- NOT AT ALL my choice, but he's not yet official in STL and would probably love a chance to stick it to the BoysLovie Smith -- The dream choice, but I doubt he'll take a DC job but instead sit out a year and do media until next year's HC optionsRay Horton -- If he doesn't get Cardinals HC job (and it appears he won't), I would love to have his aggressive style in PhillyTodd Grantham -- Eagles have already identified him as a possibility if we hired Bradley, so we have to keep him in mindI'm sure there are a ton of capable defensive assistants out there, just not sure how plugged in Chip Kelly would be with those guys.

I'll just post it here too, from Ian Rapoport a few minutes ago:Names to watch for #Eagles DC: UGA's Todd Grantham, UF's Dan Quinn. Both schooled in stopping spread offenses, both with NFL experienceIf they took Grantham, could make Jarvis Jones an interesting pick at #4 if he's there.

Wonder if this means Vick has a chance of returning now as the QB to run Kelly's style of offense.

Potential defensive coordinator hires:

Rob Ryan -- NOT AT ALL my choice, but he's not yet official in STL and would probably love a chance to stick it to the Boys

Lovie Smith -- The dream choice, but I doubt he'll take a DC job but instead sit out a year and do media until next year's HC options

Ray Horton -- If he doesn't get Cardinals HC job (and it appears he won't), I would love to have his aggressive style in Philly

Todd Grantham -- Eagles have already identified him as a possibility if we hired Bradley, so we have to keep him in mind

I'm sure there are a ton of capable defensive assistants out there, just not sure how plugged in Chip Kelly would be with those guys.
I'm OK with Chip but I do NOT want an entire college staff if possible.

Wonder if this means Vick has a chance of returning now as the QB to run Kelly's style of offense.
I think it's important to remember that Kelly doesn't believe he has to have a mobile QB to succeed. If you look at the impact his scheme had in New England, it's a perfect illustration of that point.In any event, it certainly raises the likelihood he could stay. I gave Vick a 0% chance of staying before the Kelly hire. Still below 50% though.

Rob Ryan -- NOT AT ALL my choice, but he's not yet official in STL and would probably love a chance to stick it to the Boys

Lovie Smith -- The dream choice, but I doubt he'll take a DC job but instead sit out a year and do media until next year's HC options

Ray Horton -- If he doesn't get Cardinals HC job (and it appears he won't), I would love to have his aggressive style in Philly

Todd Grantham -- Eagles have already identified him as a possibility if we hired Bradley, so we have to keep him in mind

I'm sure there are a ton of capable defensive assistants out there, just not sure how plugged in Chip Kelly would be with those guys.
I agree, but Grantham was an NFL coach.1999-2001 (Colts DL coach)

2002-2004 (Texans DL coach)

2005-2007 (Browns DC)

2008-2009 (Cowboys DL coach)

Fwiw, Ian rappaport was just on nfl network saying he expects lovie to take a year off and get his name back into the head coaching mix and that he doesn't have any interest in being a coordinator.

2005-2007 (Browns DC)

Then I stand corrected. I never knew that and wouldnt mind him since he has some experiance.

Was totally shocked when I saw Brandon Graham's tweet. I'm a little sceptical but very excited! Lovie Smith as DC would be amazing, ditto with Ray Horton.

First thing Eagles have to fix is the Oline. I don't care who plays QB and who calls the plays, that has to be fixed!Either way, it's got to be exciting for Eagles' fans right now! Congrats guys. I might adopt the Eagles into my "top 5" favs just to watch the fun.If Chip Kelly can adjust to the NFL, you have to imagine he's salivating over the prospect of Maclin, Jackson, McCoy and Bryce Brown. Getting those guys into position to make plays is paramount. Kelly also knows how to run the ball, something that has been missing in Philly for a long time.

Agreed. Looks like Lovie is out of the equation, but that's not surprising. I wasn't as excited about Gus Bradley as most were, I think Kelly could be a great hire after reading some stuff about his influence at the NFL level.

2005-2007 (Browns DC)

An apparently he runs a 3-4 so I like him even more now :excited:

First thing Eagles have to fix is the Oline. I don't care who plays QB and who calls the plays, that has to be fixed!Either way, it's got to be exciting for Eagles' fans right now! Congrats guys. I might adopt the Eagles into my "top 5" favs just to watch the fun.If Chip Kelly can adjust to the NFL, you have to imagine he's salivating over the prospect of Maclin, Jackson, McCoy and Bryce Brown. Getting those guys into position to make plays is paramount. Kelly also knows how to run the ball, something that has been missing in Philly for a long time.
O-Line is nearly a automatic fix next year when players are back from injuries. Question is it the type of O-Line Kelly needs for the offense. I have no clue.

@MoveTheSticks: RT @jimdunaway: Chip Kelly' top target as DC at Eagles could be Georgia's Todd Grantham per @MattLombardo975 > I've heard 3-4 switch likely@MoveTheSticks: RT @tgilb2007: do the Eagles really have the D players for a 3-4 though? > Graham @ Curry could play OLB. Cox could easily play 5 tech

Last edited by a moderator:
More on Chip's comments about Foles:http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildcatreport/2011/09/25/oregon-coach-chip-kelly-on-nick-foles-i-watch-in-awe-sometimes/

2005-2007 (Browns DC)

And Grantham's defense has had success against spread offenses, correct?

@RapSheet: When did #Eagles know they got Chip Kelly? Around 10 a.m. How did they get it done? Two words from Eagles source: Howie Roseman.

@RapSheet: Heard the same. Kelly has never asked for that. RT @Jeff_McLane: To repeat what I was told weeks ago, Kelly didnt want full authority.

@RapSheet: What method did Howie Roseman use? Recruiting 101, per source. Push, push, pull away, give them time to think… push again. #Fundamentals

**Howie is the man now lol

Last edited by a moderator:
'jsharlan said:
Any ideas on what this scheme would mean for each of the skill players?
Well nobody knows how much of the scheme will be picked up but McCoy should be bumped up. I'm not sure how far he fell but his value should be higher with Chip and even Bryce Brown should have value b/c Chip has shown an ability to use 2 RBs.

Lovie isn't going to be our D coord after being turned down and having to work under a young college coach after being a hc for so many years. I am indifferent on the Kelly signing... woulda been happy with Gus or Chip. But I think the biggest thing is our D-Coordinator. Everyone on here was jacked about going back to dominant defenses and we still need that. The O-coord is obviously not that important, but we need a d-coord with nfl experience. If we get Horton I'd be doing backflips. That's what will make our team.

'Bigboy10182000 said:
'Awful Waffle said:
'Bigboy10182000 said:
'Jason Wood said:

2005-2007 (Browns DC)

An apparently he runs a 3-4 so I like him even more now :excited:
And he knows Jarvis Jones pretty well. So he COULD be in play at #4 if he's there.

I hope everyone learned from this coaching search not to trust a damn thing the media puts out there, since none of them know what's going on. Random sources and tweets aren't news.I'm very excited and optimistic about this hire. As for his system and the right players for it, it's my understanding both are fallacies. He won't plug and play his Oregon playbook to the Eagles and force the players to fit into it. That was Andy's style. I think Kelly will adjust to the player's strengths. My only concern now is who runs the defense? That decision can make or break this team.

Users who are viewing this thread