What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Official Philadelphia Eagles - NFC EAST CHAMPS*** (1 Viewer)

I hope everyone learned from this coaching search not to trust a damn thing the media puts out there, since none of them know what's going on. Random sources and tweets aren't news.I'm very excited and optimistic about this hire. As for his system and the right players for it, it's my understanding both are fallacies. He won't plug and play his Oregon playbook to the Eagles and force the players to fit into it. That was Andy's style. I think Kelly will adjust to the player's strengths. My only concern now is who runs the defense? That decision can make or break this team.
It will for sure make or break this team. Needs someone with nfl experience... horton would be a dream come true.

I hope everyone learned from this coaching search not to trust a damn thing the media puts out there, since none of them know what's going on. Random sources and tweets aren't news.

I'm very excited and optimistic about this hire. As for his system and the right players for it, it's my understanding both are fallacies. He won't plug and play his Oregon playbook to the Eagles and force the players to fit into it. That was Andy's style. I think Kelly will adjust to the player's strengths. My only concern now is who runs the defense? That decision can make or break this team.
:goodposting:

I hope everyone learned from this coaching search not to trust a damn thing the media puts out there, since none of them know what's going on. Random sources and tweets aren't news.I'm very excited and optimistic about this hire. As for his system and the right players for it, it's my understanding both are fallacies. He won't plug and play his Oregon playbook to the Eagles and force the players to fit into it. That was Andy's style. I think Kelly will adjust to the player's strengths. My only concern now is who runs the defense? That decision can make or break this team.
It will for sure make or break this team. Needs someone with nfl experience... horton would be a dream come true.
We never even interviewed him to be a HC and I'm pretty sure Arizona let it me known that they would not let him go unless he got a HC job

@Jeff_McLane: Some more detail on Chip Kelly hiring: If the #Eagles didn't get him they were going to make an offer to Gus Bradley, I'm told.@Jeff_McLane: Eagles and Chip Kelly began talking again on Jan. 8 in Nashville. A mutual friend of Roseman's and Kelly's helped hook them back together.@Jeff_McLane: Roseman continued to casually keep in touch with Kelly and his agent, David Dunn, for the next several days until talks heated up on Sat.@Jeff_McLane: Discussions really started cooking in the last 36-24 hours and a deal was agreed upon late last night after Gus Bradley meeting.@Jeff_McLane: Chip Kelly's hiring was not finalized until this morning after he told his players at Oregon that he was leaving to take the #Eagles job.

We never even interviewed him to be a HC and I'm pretty sure Arizona let it me known that they would not let him go unless he got a HC job
I don't think interviewing someone as a HC helps.. i think if anything it hurts. Someone like Lovie or Bradley who got turned down by us for HC job, isn't going to come to us as D-coord. I can see Horton not wanting to stay in Zona if they don't make him their head coach (which it sounds like they're not going to)

I don't think interviewing someone as a HC helps.. i think if anything it hurts. Someone like Lovie or Bradley who got turned down by us for HC job, isn't going to come to us as D-coord. I can see Horton not wanting to stay in Zona if they don't make him their head coach (which it sounds like they're not going to)
I agree. The main issue with Horton is that Arizona wants him (he's under contract) to be their DC if he doesnt leave to be a HC. We showed no interest in him at all so I'm assuing he's not even on their radar.

'Jason Wood said:
'skillz said:
Wonder if this means Vick has a chance of returning now as the QB to run Kelly's style of offense.
I think it's important to remember that Kelly doesn't believe he has to have a mobile QB to succeed. If you look at the impact his scheme had in New England, it's a perfect illustration of that point.In any event, it certainly raises the likelihood he could stay. I gave Vick a 0% chance of staying before the Kelly hire. Still below 50% though.
I still feel Vick is gone. A combination of money and health are going to make it very easy to cut him before Feb 6th. The quotes from Kelly on Foles from 2011 lead me to believe he's going to try it with Foles at least for 1 year. Then if it doesn't work, he'll see what's out there. I personally think Foles can do it. He's not mobile but he's shown this year at least he can move in the pocket and understands where the pressure is coming from. He's really smart when it comes to the playbook, so I have no doubt he can learn Kelly's offense. His arm is big despite the few off deep throws we've seen. I like his potential in this style of offense. I think Foles can be a good QB in this league with the right coach. I'm hoping Kelly can be it.

@Jeff_McLane Kelly prefers to have an agressive, attacking defense and will likely switch the #Eagles to a 3-4 scheme, the source said.

@Jeff_McLaneKelly will likely hire an offensive coordinator that will focus heavily on the passing game, I'm told by someone familiar with his thinking.

@Jeff_McLaneKelly will likely hire an offensive coordinator that will focus heavily on the passing game, I'm told by someone familiar with his thinking.
Before anyone freaks out, I think this makes sense. Kelly has built a great running offense over his career. Bringing in someone who's good with the other half of offensive playcalling seems smart.

I would like to see Foles give it a try. I don't think you need a running QB. I do not want Vick. Now if we can get a mobile QB that's great but it's not a must.

Before anyone freaks out, I think this makes sense. Kelly has built a great running offense over his career. Bringing in someone who's good with the other half of offensive playcalling seems smart.
I agree. I am an Oregon fan and being on the West Coast get to see a lot of Ducks games. He will run the ball.

:lol: Good point about freaking out. What if he brings in a couple WRs and they use a Patriot like offense? Could be fun.

I agree. The main issue with Horton is that Arizona wants him (he's under contract) to be their DC if he doesnt leave to be a HC. We showed no interest in him at all so I'm assuing he's not even on their radar.
Ah I see. I wasn't sure how the contracts with coaches worked and if they were allowed to leave for another similar job if they wanted. Heard people talking about Horton as D coord so I assumed it was an option.

I agree. I am an Oregon fan and being on the West Coast get to see a lot of Ducks games. He will run the ball.
He will try to space and exploit whatever advantage he sees. Had great passing offenses at New Hampshire. Any ideas that he has a particular style in mind are flawed, IMO, from everything that's been written about him.

Turned into 610 for the first time in ages expecting to hear nothing but excitement and most calls were upset by the hire. Thank god for Sirius.

@Jeff_McLane Kelly prefers to have an agressive, attacking defense and will likely switch the #Eagles to a 3-4 scheme, the source said.
So is Trent Cole the Rush linebacker or is he odd man out? Too small for a 3-4 DE.
Assuming they go to the 3-4 I guess it would depend on if they feel like he could play in space or not. If not (and this is a long shot) maybe they deal him to get more picks or a better fit for the 3-4?

@Jeff_McLane: Again, I'm told Kelly prefers a 3-4 scheme, will likely switch #Eagles to one. Not saying it's a lock. He could look at roster/change mind.

'CYP said:
'shader said:
First thing Eagles have to fix is the Oline. I don't care who plays QB and who calls the plays, that has to be fixed!Either way, it's got to be exciting for Eagles' fans right now! Congrats guys. I might adopt the Eagles into my "top 5" favs just to watch the fun.If Chip Kelly can adjust to the NFL, you have to imagine he's salivating over the prospect of Maclin, Jackson, McCoy and Bryce Brown. Getting those guys into position to make plays is paramount. Kelly also knows how to run the ball, something that has been missing in Philly for a long time.
O-Line is nearly a automatic fix next year when players are back from injuries. Question is it the type of O-Line Kelly needs for the offense. I have no clue.
Not at all really. Have Peters coming back from a VERY BAD injury and have no idea how he will perform. Mathis was solid. No clue on Kelce and his injury along with a new coach even seeing him as a starter. Whose the RG? Herremans at RT was not successfull in my eyes & he is coming off an injury ( seems to have been hurt alot the past few seasons ). Their depth is pretty shoddy at best. Sadly I think Reid is going to do the right thing & take Joeckel, cept doing it for the freaking Chiefs.

hahahah these are hilarious...http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h460/ZooWithRoy/chipreid_zps5bdf932b.pnghttps://twitter.com/sportspickle/status/291620164053647360/photo/1

hahahah these are hilarious...http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h460/ZooWithRoy/chipreid_zps5bdf932b.pnghttps://twitter.com/sportspickle/status/291620164053647360/photo/1
The small pic they were using on ESPN looked like Andy as well. Lets hope Chip can keep the weight down. Will be nice to not have a coach in a 5x coverall every game.

'Skeletore Eh said:
Hearing about the Florida defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, who I know next to nothing about
Quinn is an excellent coach. THough I;m being a bit biased being a florida fan but he has a lot of NFL Experience. Made some NFL stops and his final was Sea D line Coach from 2010-11 before moving to Florida.

A couple of things:If Reid does take Joeckel then maybe Albert or Bowe would be FA'sIf we switch to a 3-4 we are in prime position at #4 to land what should be an impact player. If Foles doesn't fit what Kelly wants to do, any chance Reid would be interested?

@FOX5Sports: FOX 5 Sports has learned that UGA D-Coordinator Todd Grantham is a "serious candidate" for the Philadelphia Eagles DC job.

I dont think they would switch completely this season just because they don't have enough players I could see fitting the scheme. Could the 3-4 happen NEXT season? yea I could see it then. Think we will find out what they are going to do when they take their 1st pick.

'CYP said:
'shader said:
First thing Eagles have to fix is the Oline. I don't care who plays QB and who calls the plays, that has to be fixed!Either way, it's got to be exciting for Eagles' fans right now! Congrats guys. I might adopt the Eagles into my "top 5" favs just to watch the fun.If Chip Kelly can adjust to the NFL, you have to imagine he's salivating over the prospect of Maclin, Jackson, McCoy and Bryce Brown. Getting those guys into position to make plays is paramount. Kelly also knows how to run the ball, something that has been missing in Philly for a long time.
O-Line is nearly a automatic fix next year when players are back from injuries. Question is it the type of O-Line Kelly needs for the offense. I have no clue.
Not at all really. Have Peters coming back from a VERY BAD injury and have no idea how he will perform. Mathis was solid. No clue on Kelce and his injury along with a new coach even seeing him as a starter. Whose the RG? Herremans at RT was not successfull in my eyes & he is coming off an injury ( seems to have been hurt alot the past few seasons ). Their depth is pretty shoddy at best. Sadly I think Reid is going to do the right thing & take Joeckel, cept doing it for the freaking Chiefs.
Seriously. I mean how long have we suffered from Reid's draft day gaffes and now he's going to take the one guy I've been screaming for since October. Still have time though. There might be someone at the combine that shines enough for Reid to fall in love. Maybe Geno Smith blows up at the Senior Bowl and Combine and Reid has to have him. I think Joeckel is a stud but some of the other tackles might be worth it at 4.

A couple of things:If Reid does take Joeckel then maybe Albert or Bowe would be FA'sIf we switch to a 3-4 we are in prime position at #4 to land what should be an impact player. If Foles doesn't fit what Kelly wants to do, any chance Reid would be interested?
Despite all the pleasantries on the way out, I can't see KC and Philly having many trade talks with one another.

'Jason Wood said:
Potential defensive coordinator hires:Rob Ryan -- NOT AT ALL my choice, but he's not yet official in STL and would probably love a chance to stick it to the BoysLovie Smith -- The dream choice, but I doubt he'll take a DC job but instead sit out a year and do media until next year's HC optionsRay Horton -- If he doesn't get Cardinals HC job (and it appears he won't), I would love to have his aggressive style in PhillyTodd Grantham -- Eagles have already identified him as a possibility if we hired Bradley, so we have to keep him in mindI'm sure there are a ton of capable defensive assistants out there, just not sure how plugged in Chip Kelly would be with those guys.
Regardiing Smith and Horton, Chip prefers an attacking 3-4 so those guys likely will not fitETA: didnt read rest of this thread. I guess someone posted that already

Last edited by a moderator:
this feels like Steve Spurrier with the Redskinsgood luck w that!
Don't understand why people think this. If you think Kelly won't put in any effort and golf more than prepare or will stubbornly stick to a system, then yes, you're right. But all reports about him are to the contrary.

I'm psyched about the Chip Kelly era in Philly. I would've been content with Gus Bradley but Kelly was the guy I wanted all along.The Eagles would be a really interesting candidate for Hard Knocks this year. Andy would never let that fly under his regime...Chip doesn't seem like the type either, but I'd love it. Though it would probably lead to me hating some of the knuckleheads on our squad (Desean) even more.

I don't think there's any way Chip would allow ANYBODY filming his practices, ever.Also, it's only fair that the Kelly greens become our new home uniforms, right? Please?

Even if he flames out, I like the Kelly hire - it's a shot at something. Sure, might not work. Those questions will be there for anyone, though.

Right now I just hope he's in for the long hall. Lurie talked of hiring a coach for the next 10+ years. A guy who backed out of Tampa last year, and took over a week to come around this year has me a little worried that he's not 100% sure.

I noticed some football people talking about Kelly & how he creates gameplans and offenses for his personnel. He doesn't try to force his players into a system they don't fit. This is HUGE considering the past 14 year it was the complete opposite with Reid. No more square peg round hole.

One thing I'm curious about. I've read his practices at Oregon are extremely fast paced. I wonder if he will try and bring that philosophy with him and how veteran players would react to it. I could see a lot of whining and complaining. Desean, I'm looking at you.

'Jason Wood said:
Potential defensive coordinator hires:Rob Ryan -- NOT AT ALL my choice, but he's not yet official in STL and would probably love a chance to stick it to the BoysLovie Smith -- The dream choice, but I doubt he'll take a DC job but instead sit out a year and do media until next year's HC optionsRay Horton -- If he doesn't get Cardinals HC job (and it appears he won't), I would love to have his aggressive style in PhillyTodd Grantham -- Eagles have already identified him as a possibility if we hired Bradley, so we have to keep him in mindI'm sure there are a ton of capable defensive assistants out there, just not sure how plugged in Chip Kelly would be with those guys.
Rob Ryan is awful. If his last name wasn't Ryan he'd no longer be a DC in the NFL. 9 years and none of his teams have ever had a winning record and his units rarely rank above 20 in points or yards (only 3 times in 9 years over #20 in points or yards). No thanks.Lovie Smith, absolutely. Doubt it will happen though, think he will hold out for another HC job in 2014 if he doesn't get one now.Ray Horton, I have mixed opinion on. Cards D was pretty good, but not super. They actually have some pretty good personnel, so not sure I'd say they've overachieved.

One thing I'm curious about. I've read his practices at Oregon are extremely fast paced. I wonder if he will try and bring that philosophy with him and how veteran players would react to it. I could see a lot of whining and complaining. Desean, I'm looking at you.
Read my post above yours.Overall I think a new coach of this magnitude will be a huge change for the players overall. In a good way that is. Its no coincidence that alot of the players whom come in the past few seasons played like they don't belong in the league. 1 player that could happen too but not a bunch of them at the same time. That leads me to believe it wasn't just the players but the entire coaching staff also. ( which is why I am not giving up on Cole Jenkins Awesomeguy or DRC ) Think of it like addition by subtraction. With a new staff now, you SHOULD see a revived team. May not have put this into words the way I want it but hope some can understand what I was trying to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
So is Trent Cole the Rush linebacker or is he odd man out? Too small for a 3-4 DE.
Assuming they go to the 3-4 I guess it would depend on if they feel like he could play in space or not. If not (and this is a long shot) maybe they deal him to get more picks or a better fit for the 3-4?
For mine, Cole would become a situational guy if he stays on the roster, which I wouldn't guarantee after a down year last year. If they do switch, he'd probably be a reasonable chance of being moved on, not much upside for a 30yo guy trying to learn a new position he probably isn't suited to. Would be kind of a shame to see it end that way for him.There was a bit of discussion in the 2012 thread on the 3-4 and I've been thinking about it since and I think Graham would actually work better as a DE than a LB even in the 3-4. He doesn't have great speed, not sure if it's still picking up after the injury but his game is mostly based on his great lower body power and bull rush which might work out. He'd have to put some weight back on (he trimmed down a bit for Washburn's system), but if they run a 1-gap 3-4 I'd like to see how Graham goes at DE.

I don't think there's any way Chip would allow ANYBODY filming his practices, ever.Also, it's only fair that the Kelly greens become our new home uniforms, right? Please?
I honestly don't get the infatuation with the Kelly Green. To me the midnight green is better. Our best era of football occurred with the midnight green. Why would we want to go back to the days of Rich Kotite and Buddy Ryan?

Roster Breakdown - Offensive Line

Been thinking about how I'd like to see the team put together for next year, who stays who goes etc. I'm going to do some breakdowns by position, to help me sort out what I think as much as anything else. Hopefully they're interesting and would like to hear others thoughts.

Jason Peters - One of the top the linemen in the league pre-injury, even with the brain explosion penalties that sometimes happen with him. Some of the things the Eagles had him do by design on run plays and screens to the left were just extraordinary. Could routinely account for 2 defenders on the same play. There was talk he could have returned from his injuries in time if the Eagles had made the

. That kind of leads me to believe he'll be functional next year at least. Probably not realistic to expect he'll be back to pre-injury form but even if he's only 80% of what he was I still think he'd be a Top 10 LT. Will be 31 when the season starts, probably good for another 2-3 years at least if he wants to play that long.Evan Mathis - Arguably the team MVP this year. Not a flashy guy, pancaking people in the run game or anything like that but incredibly consistent and mistake free. Always gets his job done (Bradley would have liked that). At his best on the move, excellent 2nd level blocker. Will turn 32 during next season. Doesn't have a lot of mileage on him, but still getting up there.

Jason Kelce - Coming back from a torn MCL. Another guy who is at his best on the move, does great work at the 2nd level. Doesn't hold up as well as Mathis inline though, and can struggle to deal with better DTs. Not unusual to see Kelce on skates getting pushed into the backfield, happens at least a few times per game. At this point, IMO he's probably slightly overrated and for me, no guarantee a new staff doesn't look at him and think they can do better. If he can find a way through more weight / strength or better technique to hold up better with a DT over him he'd be very good. Seems to do a good job with the mental side of C, both pre snap and with his decisions on where he goes with chips and double teams. Will turn 26 during next season.

Danny Watkins - Ugh. Functional run blocker, and had some games where he looked pretty good in that area but he's a disaster in pass pro. Seems to have no football sense at all, doesn't pick up line stunts or see blitzers coming. There were 2 plays in the Steelers game early in the year where Watkins stood with his arms extended in space looking (the wrong way) for someone to block while free rushers broke through right beside him. Always a chance a new staff turns an underachiever around, but hard to see a big future for Watkins. My bet is he sticks around for another year or so as a reserve and then is quietly released as a TC cut next year. Will turn 40 during next season (I think)

Todd Herremans - Has played RT the last two years, and was OK to good there in 2011, but was struggling last year. Got easily beaten in pass protection on some critical plays that really stood out. Will turn 31 early next season. Bottom line is I think he was very good as a G, and is only decent as a T. Particularly with the injury recovery I think relying on him to play T is probably a risky move. Not sure why, but for some reason I think he is the guy most likely to suffer/struggle with his recovery.

Dallas Reynolds - Started off pretty badly, but improved over the rest of the season, both due to his picking up experience in his first real playing time, and the team I think figuring out what he could and couldn't do. What he can't do is move laterally. Struggles to keep up with the quicker DTs and can't reach block or pull and make it to the corner. This in particular hurts the outside zone running plays. He actually does fairly well when he can just go straight ahead, as the season wore on you did see Reynolds really driving guys off the ball both inline and at the 2nd level, particularly in Brown's two big games. He's not a starter, but I think he's a decent backup. Has limitations but I think enough talent to work with in that capacity. Will turn 29 by next season, so not exactly a youngster.

Dennis Kelly - Started a couple of games at G and looked bad on the execution side, just wasn't comfortable there. It did stand out to me he had much better awareness of what was going on around him than Watkins though. Generally did a good job picking up stunts and blitzers even when it wasn't telegraphed where they were coming from. Execution was up and down though, didn't really look good there. Looked much better at RT after Herremans went down though. Kelly has good footwork and surprising agility for a guy his height. Is able to get to the second level effectively and does a good job mirroring rushers and staying between them and the QB. When he does get beaten in pass pro, doesn't get totally blown away, is usually able to stay with his guy and ride him upfield even if he doesn't have him under control. Guys do get off Kelly's blocks though, he seems to get into position and wall off rather than drive through and finish his blocks in the run game. Seems reluctant to use his hands in pass pro as well. Right now I think Kelly is a solid backup but if he can improve his strength or technique (or get angrier) so that he sustains and finishes his blocks, I think he has starting potential.

Jake Scott - Big indictment on Watkins that a guy can get off his couch on during the week and start for us on Sunday and play better than Watkins ever did. Was generally solid and seemed to help Kelly. Did a good job for us, but would be surprised if they brought him back.

King Dunlap - Doesn't belong on an NFL roster. Slow, heavy feet. Gets consistently beaten in pass pro, and doesn't have the athletic ability to get into position to make blocks in the run game. See ya.

Demetress Bell - Best thing about Demetress is we won't see him on the field again in Eagles gear.

I'm sure they'll add to this group before the season starts even if just for competition, but right now the line I would put on the field is: Peters, Mathis, Kelce, Herremans, Kelly. RT is the weak spot, but I like Herremans/Kelly better than Watkins/Herremans.

:popcorn:

I think you're pretty much dead on with all your thoughts. I do think Kelce is solid. The biggest mark of improvement should be from a player's first year to their second. He got hurt early on so I'm not ready to throw in the towel. Kelly likes athletic linemen with good lateral quickness so Kelce's a pretty good fit schematically.No clue how Peters will do. The fact he might have been able to come back if they made the playoffs is encouraging, but I have no clue about Achilles tears, especially on big guys. Ideal scenario is taking Joeckel and playing at RT for a year or two and then moving to the left side when Peters retires/is cut.

You also have to think if we do move to a 3-4, a NT or rush linebacker might be more appealing at the #4 pick. Plus the secondary was awful. Maybe better coaching will help, but this team definitely has some holes on its roster.

Users who are viewing this thread