What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Official Philadelphia Eagles - NFC EAST CHAMPS*** (1 Viewer)

People automatically write off Foles as a bust and I don't get it. The guy was thrown into a starting role in the middle of his rookie year where he hadn't played a meaningful snap for about 3 months at that point. First couple games were rusty but then he started to pick it up as he went. All reports show the kid is ridiculously football smart. I'd like to see what he can do with Kelly's offense. All these people saying Kelly NEEDS a running QB just aren't paying attention. We didn't bring Chip here to carbon copy his offense from Oregon. We brought him here because he's an innovator. He didn't have a prototypical rushing QB in New Hampshire with Santos and he set school records and won awards a division 1-AA. Lets see how he adapts his scheme to fit his players. If he decides Foles can't play, then so be it. I'm not ready to write the guy off yet though.
Thank you. Chip basically summed everything up when he said "there's perception and then there's reality." I think he's going to build a offense around the strengths of Foles and the rest of the skill players. Anyone thinking otherwise is just being ignorant. Foles outplayed Tannihill and Weeden, I could also manipulate the numbers where his starts were better than Luck's. Just because he wasnt touted during the draft he's having a tough time shaking the "I need to see more" label. If Chip Kelly can't use a young QB who can complete over 60% of his passes idk what to say. Three games vs Chip Kelly, Foles only has about 1,200+ yards, 10 TD's and 2 INTs, I think he knows who he's dealing with before he signed on the dotted.
Kelly's offense doesn't need a "running quarterback" what he needs most is a QB that can make quick decisions and get rid of the ball.
I think Foles is capable of that.

Former Browns HC Pat Shurmur is expected to join Chip Kelly's coaching staff in Philadelphia, likely as Eagles' offensive coordinator.And from FootballScoop Staff, Bob Bicknell (former Bills WR coach) and Boston College LB coach Bill McGovern will also join the staff.EDIT - the Shurmur news is from Schefter.

Last edited by a moderator:
@AdamSchefter: Eagles made Kelly one of 10 highest paid NFL coaches, giving him a 5-yr deal worth right around $32.5 million, an average of $6.5m per year.

@AdamSchefter: Eagles made Kelly one of 10 highest paid NFL coaches, giving him a 5-yr deal worth right around $32.5 million, an average of $6.5m per year.
This is crazy that he is being paid so much, but 1. To a fan, who cares what they pay a coach. It doesn't affect our cap so let them give him 10m/year for all I care. 2. It probably was going to/and did take this much to lure him back from Oregon. So I'm ok with the deal. In terms of Shurmur, it does seem like an odd hire considering the differences between Kelly and Shurmers styles. But considering its going to be Kellys offense anyways, he is just going to be a sheep. The experience is nice, so now I'm a little more okay with grabbing a d-coord with little nfl experience.

This is crazy that he is being paid so much, but 1. To a fan, who cares what they pay a coach. It doesn't affect our cap so let them give him 10m/year for all I care. 2. It probably was going to/and did take this much to lure him back from Oregon. So I'm ok with the deal. In terms of Shurmur, it does seem like an odd hire considering the differences between Kelly and Shurmers styles. But considering its going to be Kellys offense anyways, he is just going to be a sheep. The experience is nice, so now I'm a little more okay with grabbing a d-coord with little nfl experience.
What any coaches make doesn't bother me at all. If I were an NFL owner I would spare no expense on coaches so long as I got the ones I wanted. I like the Shurmer hire and I would like go get a young up and comer for DC if possible who has NFL experience if possible. Maybe someone from Baltimore or SF.

It was reported that Kelly would likely target a passing-minded OC. Makes sense. Chip knows the running game, Shurmur knows the WCO game plus has experience in the NFL. I think some people are under the assumption Chip Kelly's going to hand the playcalling to Shurmur. He's not.

I think Kelly's NFL offense is going to evolve over a couple of years. There's quite a bit of info out there on the Oregon running game (check out the really good tutorials on fishduck.com) but the passing game isn't explained in any more detail than bubble screens if they play off and play action off the zone read run plays.Makes sense then that he brought in somebody with a good NFL background in the passing game. Don't forget Shurmur was pretty well thought off in the league before coaching the Browns (which is generally what happens). I don't love it particularly, but it does make a lot of sense from the NFL HC and pro passing game experience Shurmur will be able to provide.I think the zone read principles will be part of it, but not sure how much. I'm not convinced the running QB route leads to long term success, maybe 3-4 years at most. Hard to see guys having 8-10 yr careers getting beat up like RG3 did this year. In college a coach probably has a few guys with equal talent, just a difference in experience. In the NFL there are probably only 20 of the 32 QBs in the league who can execute consitently & competently in the passing game. If you don't have one of those 20 you're not going to win much and if you do, you're nuts to risk him by having him run as a core part of the offense. I'm expecting those read principles to show up differently than a QB run/handoff choice. Maybe a choice between handoff or high/low choice throw to a TE stick or flanker post based on the SAM and Safety reactions, or handoff strongside vs throw weakside based on how aggressive the WLB plays, something along those lines. The principle is to use the threat of the alternate choice play to keep a defender out of the action and maintain a numerical advantage playside, the option choice is a counter against over aggressive pursuit against the primary choice.Really interested to see what it's going to look like.

I really hope Shurmur isn't the OC. That makes absolutely zero sense to me. He's one of Andy's assistant coaches, versed in a classic WCO, that has shown zero ability as a play-caller and head man since being given those chances.

I really hope Shurmur isn't the OC. That makes absolutely zero sense to me. He's one of Andy's assistant coaches, versed in a classic WCO, that has shown zero ability as a play-caller and head man since being given those chances.
I think he's being brought in just to help get Kelly's feet wet as a 1st time head coach. Plus, Shurmur can also help Kelly learn the ropes within the organization, the fan base, and the local media. I believe Kelly will be calling the plays.

He won't be calling any plays.
Didn't say he would be, but I see no value in bringing in one of Andy's 3rd tier right hand men, either.
I can see the value in bringing in a guy with his experience. He hasn't been "one of Andy's" for a while now and having any ex-HC on your staff can only help IMHO. I try to keep things in perspective as much as I can. Sean Peyton was stripped of play-calling duties by two teams before being a HC. I'm hoping Shurmers "failures" had more to do with where he was after leaving here.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's the QB coach and given the title of "offensive coordinator" but come on, Chip Kelly is calling the plays. Make no mistake about it.

I'm more worried about the DC anyway. Whoever he is, he's going to be on an island coaching his own half of the team with no interference from Kelly. It needs to be someone who has experience doing this and doing it relatively well.

I would like bringing Shurmur in. He brings a lot of experience, and I think he takes too much heat for his time in Cleveland. He showed some good things in StL, & can hopefully help Kelly with the transition.

I'm more worried about the DC anyway. Whoever he is, he's going to be on an island coaching his own half of the team with no interference from Kelly. It needs to be someone who has experience doing this and doing it relatively well.
Agreed. I was hoping someone from Baltimore or SF but that's not going to happen now. Any chance Nolan gets axed?

Agreed. I was hoping someone from Baltimore or SF but that's not going to happen now. Any chance Nolan gets axed?
I wouldn't mind Nolan. I know Atlanta fell apart but the guy has Head coaching and DC experience. As long as he's not the head coach, I think I can tolerate him.Weird random tidbit I just saw on his profile. Education: University of Oregon. :popcorn:

I like the Shurmer hiring as well, usually ex-HC's are pretty damn good assistant coaches since that's usually the way they get to become HC's in the first place. I agree that the DC just is much more important and I really hope they find the right guy.

Everyone rips on Marty when he was here cause of the play calling, when we know damn well it was a mix of him and reid from reids gameplan ( same #### going to happen in KC ). Yet are liking the Shur hire as OC? QB coach..fine, id be happy with that and OC is just in title but him just touching a playsheet has my face palming hand warming up.

Everyone rips on Marty when he was here cause of the play calling, when we know damn well it was a mix of him and reid from reids gameplan ( same #### going to happen in KC ). Yet are liking the Shur hire as OC? QB coach..fine, id be happy with that and OC is just in title but him just touching a playsheet has my face palming hand warming up.
I agree. It just wouldnt make sense to make sure you have an offensive HC and then have someone else call the plays.

'scratcher said:
How much control does chip have with his deal? Draft? Free agent signings? Is he making the draft picks?
Maybe DH's buddy would know?
DH's buddy is moving to Indy.
ya but i assume hes there now
He is. He still hears thing from friends, but they moved to Indy last month, about two weeks before Christmas. Don't know when his contract officially ran out (I guess he had a contract, he wasn't fired) but he hasn't done anything for the Eagles for almost two months. He's still pissed that he hasn't sold the house yet though. ;)

'scratcher said:
How much control does chip have with his deal? Draft? Free agent signings? Is he making the draft picks?
He is. He still hears thing from friends, but they moved to Indy last month, about two weeks before Christmas. Don't know when his contract officially ran out (I guess he had a contract, he wasn't fired) but he hasn't done anything for the Eagles for almost two months. He's still pissed that he hasn't sold the house yet though. ;)
Tough market and tough time of year to sell. Unless he wants to eat a lot of money which I doubt he does.

@TomRock_Newsday: Jim Herrmann has informed the Eagles that he is withdrawing from their DC search after weekend interview. He'll stay with the NYG.Damn you, Howie lol

I find it disconcerting that one of the most important decisions to be made by a prospective new Eagles' HC, who will be the new DC, apparently wasn't a significant factor in the hiring of Kelly.

'scratcher said:
I would have expected the eagles to retain his services until the draft is over.

I find it disconcerting that one of the most important decisions to be made by a prospective new Eagles' HC, who will be the new DC, apparently wasn't a significant factor in the hiring of Kelly.
Maybe they are waiting on the Super Bowl. No idea who the Bal LB coach is but I would love to have some of that coaching ability on our team.

If Welker becomes a FA, what are folks thoughts on his addition to the Eagles? Would make our WR still scrawny with DJax, Maclin, and Welker. But the thought of CK making space for all of them has me intrigued.I have to be honest, watching the Pats hurryup yesterday was exciting. I would LOVE to see our team be so coordinated in our movements. Such a change to what we have had of AR and his "system"

'scratcher said:
I would have expected the eagles to retain his services until the draft is over.
Yeah, I don't know the entire story (frankly, most of it is none of my business), but that struck me as odd too. I'm not even sure if he's 'officially' started with Indy yet. He's been pretty hush, hush about everything, so I haven't asked.

Not sure if this was discussed yet, but I'll bring it up if not. My friends and I were talking last night and one of them brought up Alex Smith as a possible QB for the Eagles since it's pretty clear that SF won't keep him. I don't think he's all that bad, but I'd rather let Foles get his shot.What do you all think?

Not sure if this was discussed yet, but I'll bring it up if not. My friends and I were talking last night and one of them brought up Alex Smith as a possible QB for the Eagles since it's pretty clear that SF won't keep him. I don't think he's all that bad, but I'd rather let Foles get his shot.What do you all think?
I'd take Smith in a heartbeat over Foles. Smith can be very mobile and I think has struggled with having soooo many coordinators and different systems thrust upon him. Get rid of Vick and sign Smith and let Foles learn. Sounds good to me!

If Welker becomes a FA, what are folks thoughts on his addition to the Eagles? Would make our WR still scrawny with DJax, Maclin, and Welker. But the thought of CK making space for all of them has me intrigued.I have to be honest, watching the Pats hurryup yesterday was exciting. I would LOVE to see our team be so coordinated in our movements. Such a change to what we have had of AR and his "system"
No thanks on Welker, strikes me as a guy that will age very quickly. I like the pace of the NE offense but much like we've seen here over the last 14 years, as soon as they got hit in the mouth by a tough defense they curled up like a little girl and were dominated. Look at SF, everyone focuses on Kaepernick but they were getting blown out and regained control of the game by running the ball and controlling the LOS and playing physical defense. It completely opened the field for play action to Davis. BAL in much the same way.

Here's my concern with Alex Smith...I don't believe he is a big time QB that can make a team a title contender unless everything else is in place. He is a very good, fairly safe QB, that is better than most people used to think. However, I trust Harbaugh's judgment and if he felt that Kaepernick with his limited experience was a better choice (and so far it looks right) then why do we think Smith is the answer for us? I'd rather Kelly get a good look at Foles and decide if he is a guy we can do real long term damage with (in a good way) and I think the best way to get that answer is to play him. Smith is a good choice if that is one of the last pieces to help you go far in the playoffs. I don't believe we are there, unfortunately.If we had a more decisive and impactful defense, and a good OL we could trust, I could get behind the Alex Smith idea. Right now though it seems we don't. (And hell, going back to my first statement, it seems that SF has that and he STILL wasn't "the guy.")

I want no parts of Smith. He'll be 29 in May and will have another OC and system to learn and we're not talking about a guy who will set the world on fire. His career YPG sits at 178.5 and peaked at 215.5. IMHO his name is way bigger then the production you'll get. I'd much rather stick with Foles and see what we have in him and maybe draft a guy like Ryan Nassib in round 2 or 3.I have more confidence in Foles then most though. He showed me a lot last year and I think he can improve and run the no-huddle for us.

No thanks on Welker, strikes me as a guy that will age very quickly. I like the pace of the NE offense but much like we've seen here over the last 14 years, as soon as they got hit in the mouth by a tough defense they curled up like a little girl and were dominated. Look at SF, everyone focuses on Kaepernick but they were getting blown out and regained control of the game by running the ball and controlling the LOS and playing physical defense. It completely opened the field for play action to Davis. BAL in much the same way.
The most important thing was the D's on Sunday IMO. Both shut out the opponent in the second half. This is the NFL and you will need a D that can stop ANY team when it's crunch time.

Here's my concern with Alex Smith...I don't believe he is a big time QB that can make a team a title contender unless everything else is in place. He is a very good, fairly safe QB, that is better than most people used to think. However, I trust Harbaugh's judgment and if he felt that Kaepernick with his limited experience was a better choice (and so far it looks right) then why do we think Smith is the answer for us? I'd rather Kelly get a good look at Foles and decide if he is a guy we can do real long term damage with (in a good way) and I think the best way to get that answer is to play him. Smith is a good choice if that is one of the last pieces to help you go far in the playoffs. I don't believe we are there, unfortunately.

If we had a more decisive and impactful defense, and a good OL we could trust, I could get behind the Alex Smith idea. Right now though it seems we don't. (And hell, going back to my first statement, it seems that SF has that and he STILL wasn't "the guy.")
If we had that I think a lot of QB's could get the job done.

WR is far from the problem. With DJax, Maclin, Avant, Cooper, Damaris, and McNutt all having looked like they can contribute and signed through next season no need to do anything but bring in UDFA types or vet min on tryout basis

I'd take Smith in a heartbeat over Foles. Smith can be very mobile and I think has struggled with having soooo many coordinators and different systems thrust upon him. Get rid of Vick and sign Smith and let Foles learn. Sounds good to me!
Nah. I'd rather have Foles in there to see if he can play at all. Smith does nothing for this team next year. We're going to be 7-9 at best. Paying Smith a ton of money for that is a waste. See if Foles can play this year so you know if you need to spend a high pick in 2014 on a QB.

WR is far from the problem. With DJax, Maclin, Avant, Cooper, Damaris, and McNutt all having looked like they can contribute and signed through next season no need to do anything but bring in UDFA types or vet min on tryout basis
I don't know that I agree with this. I won't say that they're the "problem" but I think they're part of the problem.D-Jax and Maclin are both injury prone and even when healthy both have not lived up to their potential and they're non-existent in the red-zone. I don't know what their deals are like but if theyre somewhat friendly I would take a guy like Bowe in an instant. We had the most money under the cap out of ANY team in football last season and I'm sure Howie could make it work. After watching how Baltimore used Boldin yesterday we need a guy like that with how bad we are in the red-zone.

@RoobCSN: From the Senior Bowl, my colleague @GeoffMosherCSN reports 49ers secondary coach Ed Donatell in mix to become Eagles defensive coordinator.

Users who are viewing this thread