What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Forte - to be more relevant again (1 Viewer)

Please trade him to a real team!!!

The high school talent that surrounds him now kills his value.
Be patient. He's going to be the guy to have in the second half of the season as Bears get their players back and the schedule gets much easier. Very tough first few games.

Least talked about elite rb of his generation. He's putting up hall of fame numbers if he continues for a couple more years and it looks like he will.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Rotoworld:

Matt Forte rushed 25 times for 91 yards and caught 4-of-4 targets for 64 yards Week 4 against the Raiders.

Forte put on a show in the first half, constantly bouncing off would-be tacklers on his way to 117 total yards before the break. He was bottled up in the second half, however, and could not punch in his one goal-line look. Forte also lost a fumble early in the third quarter. It could have been a better day, but with Jay Cutler back and Alshon Jeffery on the way, things are looking up for Forte and the Bears' offense. He will be a high-end RB1 next week against the Chiefs. After four game, Forte is on pace for 388 touches for 2,000 yards and four total touchdowns. He may not reach those touch and yardage numbers, but the touchdown total will certainly be higher.

Oct 4 - 6:44 PM

Least talked about elite rb of his generation. He's putting up hall of fame numbers if he continues for a couple more years and it looks like he will.
Tell it to MJD

Those two a very similar in my mind. Do you think MJD will be in the hall of fame? If not then Forte is out as well.

Now Forte could secure his place if he pulled an AP in the next 2 years pulling his team to the playoffs otherwise I think he loses out partly because he has been on terrible teams for what will be a majority of his career likely.

1 Playoff game is what really hurts him I think.

Probably some playoff success will be necessary but it doesn't look likely for the Bears. He would still need at least another 3 years of production. Doesn't show any signs of slowing down, though.

Probably some playoff success will be necessary but it doesn't look likely for the Bears. He would still need at least another 3 years of production. Doesn't show any signs of slowing down, though.
Think it will be a cliff, Pro Bowl one year and horrible year the next followed by retirement.

Could be right. I just think he's a different kind of back. Always light on his feet and doesn't take a lot of punishment. We'll see but I don't see him falling off a cliff like a lot of the guys who play this long.

Any more updates? All I can find is Fox saying he "won't speculate" about the injury in the presser after the game.

Reading MCL/multi-week absence in a few places on Twitter, but not sure how accurate.

If nothing else, almost certainly eliminates any chance of him being traded.

with the bears injury reporting... about the only thing we will know is if he isnt put on IR this week it was not a torn ACL

Fox just said in his presser that Forte doesn't need surgery and it isn't season ending. Not specific on timeline of return but I'll take this as good news.

Widbil83 said:
Fox just said in his presser that Forte doesn't need surgery and it isn't season ending. Not specific on timeline of return but I'll take this as good news.
Could be good only if Langford craps the bed and they try to get Forte back to spark the team. But if Langford is doing well and the team is sitting at 2-10, there may not be much need to rush Forte back when they probably aren't planning on re-signing him anyway.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen indicated on NFL Insiders Monday that Matt Forte (knee) is likely to miss at least two weeks.

Specifically, Mortensen stated Forte "obviously" won't be ready to play "this week or the week after." Rookie Jeremy Langford will take over as the Bears' lead back, while the team is reportedly considering signing free agent Montee Ball. Owners of Forte should try to stay optimistic that he will only miss a couple of weeks. A return by late November still seems likely.

Nov 2 - 3:42 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen indicated on NFL Insiders Monday that Matt Forte (knee) is likely to miss at least two weeks.

Specifically, Mortensen stated Forte "obviously" won't be ready to play "this week or the week after." Rookie Jeremy Langford will take over as the Bears' lead back, while the team is reportedly considering signing free agent Montee Ball. Owners of Forte should try to stay optimistic that he will only miss a couple of weeks. A return by late November still seems likely.

Nov 2 - 3:42 PM
NFL.com has this blurb that says it's possible he misses no time.

"The veteran back is still being evaluated, but NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that Forte's injury is a knee sprain and is not expected to be a long-term deal. Forte might not even miss any time, Rapoport added. The Bears are set to play next Monday night on the road against the Chargers."

Chargers are a tasty matchup but I won't be at all heartbroken if he misses the Rams and Broncos.

With Blount being a free agent and Dion Lewis having an ACL tear midway through this season, it wouldn't surprise me if New England makes Forte an offer in the offseason. He's an all-around back and seems like a good character guy. I could see Belichick hoping to get two more good years out of him.

With Blount being a free agent and Dion Lewis having an ACL tear midway through this season, it wouldn't surprise me if New England makes Forte an offer in the offseason. He's an all-around back and seems like a good character guy. I could see Belichick hoping to get two more good years out of him.
that could be huge.....great wr out of the backfield which they like to do and it would give Forte a legit shot at a SB.

JuniorNB said:
Chances of that happening are very slim imo. Pats essentially have two roles to fill: a bruiser back and a receiving scat back type. Forte is a little of both but doesn't fill either role well enough.

CHI - Matt Forte confirms MCL injury - Fri Nov 13, 04:11 PM

Chicago Bears RB Matt Forte (knee) confirmed that he's dealing with a sprained medial collateral ligament in his knee, which is the 'same injury' he dealt with in 2011.

Have to think there is no way is he playing this week, and who knows how long beyond.

Corey Dillon, Part II

Chances of that happening are very slim imo. Pats essentially have two roles to fill: a bruiser back and a receiving scat back type. Forte is a little of both but doesn't fill either role well enough.
I think BB is smart enough to exploit a guy's skills rather than try to fit them into predetermined needs.

I think BB is smart enough to exploit a guy's skills rather than try to fit them into predetermined needs.
exactly. As effective as the Blount/Lewis combo has been, think about the added confusion caused with having one back who can both run and catch. It's a longshot, but i'm sure Forte would love to be on a championship caliber team. And if the price is right, he seems like a Patriots-type of player.

Also smart enough not to pay any real money to a rb that has declining skills. I'm sure he'd take him but another team will pay a lot more.

I'm hoping it becomes a McCoy and K. Williams scenario. One leads touches but both are productive. And the latter being an excellent fill in if the starter goes down.

Keep in mind that the Bears are still in the playoff mix -- maybe not likely, but there are a bunch of mediocre teams hanging around for the 6 spot. That would seem to favor Forte getting his job back, since they're not exclusively focused on next year. It's not like he had been bad before the injury.

I'm sure Langford has earned himself a few more touches. But I see it being similar to 2014 Lacy/Starks, or, as Loipz said, McCoy/Karlos this year.

People seriously think Forte is going to the bench when he comes back?
Yeah, I don't see that either - Fox does seem to value experience. Langford really showed his stuff, but if there were a more proven vet behind Forte, I am not sure Langford would have gotten his chance.

Yeah, I don't see that either - Fox does seem to value experience. Langford really showed his stuff, but if there were a more proven vet behind Forte, I am not sure Langford would have gotten his chance.
I could see Langford becoming the full time third down back. Way more electric in the passing game. Forte has good hands and will still catch passes on first and second down, but bringing Langford in for third downs is a logical way to still get him quality touches while presenting a coverage issue for defenses. I could see two or three series for Forte, followed by one for Langford. Plus the full time third down role for Langford.

I could see Langford becoming the full time third down back. Way more electric in the passing game. Forte has good hands and will still catch passes on first and second down, but bringing Langford in for third downs is a logical way to still get him quality touches while presenting a coverage issue for defenses. I could see two or three series for Forte, followed by one for Langford. Plus the full time third down role for Langford.
Cant say I have studied it closely enough to feel strongly about it...but isnt Forte kind of a perfect RB for 3rd down? Very reliable and savvy in the pass game, plus able to pass block.

Cant say I have studied it closely enough to feel strongly about it...but isnt Forte kind of a perfect RB for 3rd down? Very reliable and savvy in the pass game, plus able to pass block.
Yeah that's kind of his thing. He did have 102 receptions just last year.

He's steady with good hands. Yes. But Chicago obviously needs to get a playmaker like Langford in the game. Third downs would be a perfect way to do that. Forte doesn't have the speed to take one 70 yards to the house like Langford did on Sunday. If they use Langford on third downs, Forte will still get his receptions.

Users who are viewing this thread