Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
whitem0nkey

Matt Forte - to be more relevant again

People seriously think Forte is going to the bench when he comes back?

Yeah, I don't see that either - Fox does seem to value experience. Langford really showed his stuff, but if there were a more proven vet behind Forte, I am not sure Langford would have gotten his chance.

I could see Langford becoming the full time third down back. Way more electric in the passing game. Forte has good hands and will still catch passes on first and second down, but bringing Langford in for third downs is a logical way to still get him quality touches while presenting a coverage issue for defenses. I could see two or three series for Forte, followed by one for Langford. Plus the full time third down role for Langford.

Cant say I have studied it closely enough to feel strongly about it...but isnt Forte kind of a perfect RB for 3rd down? Very reliable and savvy in the pass game, plus able to pass block.

He's steady with good hands. Yes. But Chicago obviously needs to get a playmaker like Langford in the game. Third downs would be a perfect way to do that. Forte doesn't have the speed to take one 70 yards to the house like Langford did on Sunday. If they use Langford on third downs, Forte will still get his receptions.

I can see Forte ceding 3rd downs. Forte is a great pass-catching back, but Langford just has youth on his side. Plus, Langford has proven more than capable on blitz pick ups and the coaches already said that they took nothing out of the playbook for him.

Yeah, I don't see that either - Fox does seem to value experience. Langford really showed his stuff, but if there were a more proven vet behind Forte, I am not sure Langford would have gotten his chance.

I could see Langford becoming the full time third down back. Way more electric in the passing game. Forte has good hands and will still catch passes on first and second down, but bringing Langford in for third downs is a logical way to still get him quality touches while presenting a coverage issue for defenses. I could see two or three series for Forte, followed by one for Langford. Plus the full time third down role for Langford.

Cant say I have studied it closely enough to feel strongly about it...but isnt Forte kind of a perfect RB for 3rd down? Very reliable and savvy in the pass game, plus able to pass block.

Yes. Langford is good for 2nd/3rd and long. 3rd and 4, Forte is still in there.

Langford had 140 and 180 yards of offense in two games. That's more than Forte had in his best two games this year. Let's not pretend there's some huge talent difference. This timeshare could go a lot of ways. The chances of them resigning a 30 year old back to a big contract in the offseason is very slim. Especially with a backup as good as Langford, who is 8 years younger. So they can phase Forte out and see what they really have in Langford. Or they can use them both to keep them both fresh. Or, they can run Forte into the ground, knowing he won't be on the team next year. It's really anyone's guess. I think it's pretty obvious that they're both very talented.

Langford had 140 and 180 yards of offense in two games. That's more than Forte had in his best two games this year. Let's not pretend there's some huge talent difference. This timeshare could go a lot of ways. The chances of them resigning a 30 year old back to a big contract in the offseason is very slim. Especially with a backup as good as Langford, who is 8 years younger. So they can phase Forte out and see what they really have in Langford. Or they can use them both to keep them both fresh. Or, they can run Forte into the ground, knowing he won't be on the team next year. It's really anyone's guess. I think it's pretty obvious that they're both very talented.

I agree that he has been impressive in his 2 games, but I think it is extremely premature to start comparing their talent levels. Forte has proven to be elite over a long period. Langford has been elite for 2 games.

And honestly, I am guessing that 70% or more NFL tailbacks score on this 83 yard play (Link below). There was nothing but open field after he caught the ball. Perfect play call, and perfect execution...but the player did nothing noteworthy aside from catching the ball and heading upfield. Not trying to take away from what he has done in 2 games, but I would temper the expectations that he is clearly just as talented as Matt Forte. Thats bold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p315WTL4cw

Edited by ChuckLiddell
  • Like 1

I agree that he has been impressive in his 2 games, but I think it is extremely premature to start comparing their talent levels. Forte has proven to be elite over a long period. Langford has been elite for 2 games.

And honestly, I am guessing that 70% or more NFL tailbacks score on this 83 yard play (Link below). There was nothing but open field after he caught the ball. Perfect play call, and perfect execution...but the player did nothing noteworthy aside from catching the ball and heading upfield. Not trying to take away from what he has done in 2 games, but I would temper the expectations that he is clearly just as talented as Matt Forte. Thats bold.

I saw the play. That sounds like a "Take away his long run and he didn't do much' argument. Adrian Peterson had a similar 80 yard run last week. Certain playmakers tend to get them a lot.

You're right, two games is a small sample size. But Forte is getting older. After his big week one, he's only averaged 3.6 yards per carry this season. 30 is a bad number for running backs. Comparing Langford to 2010 Forte might be premature. Comparing him to current day Forte isn't.

I saw the play. That sounds like a "Take away his long run and he didn't do much' argument. Adrian Peterson had a similar 80 yard run last week. Certain playmakers tend to get them a lot.

You're right, two games is a small sample size. But Forte is getting older. After his big week one, he's only averaged 3.6 yards per carry this season. 30 is a bad number for running backs. Comparing Langford to 2010 Forte might be premature. Comparing him to current day Forte isn't.

I was not taking away his big run, but merely pointing out that it probably looked more impressive in a box score than in reality. It was a great play call, and perfect execution, but did not require an elite RB to make the play. Forte likely would have scored on the play as well. Adrian Peterson has a bit more of a resume, so the same argument would not be made as a result of his big run.

Odd that you would take out Forte's "big week one" after just kind of accusing me of a similar cherry pick, but thats cool. Langford averaged 3.65 YPC last week though, so...

Personally, I think comparing Langord's talent level after 2 games to anyone other than someone similar like Charcandrick West is premature, but it is certainly natural to try to do it in this situation. We havent seen enough to make such bold statements with any level of certainty in my opinion. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

It's John Fox. I'd be very surprised if Forte doesn't get his job back when healthy, but he will be spelled by Langford. 75% forte, 25% Langford.

Fox: "We're just trying to get Matt Forte legitimately healthy." Fox spent the day receiving treatment at Halas Hall. #Bears

Limited practice today

Actually missed practice today after limited yesterday. Interesting.

I think that meant to say Forte. Not looking good for this week. No practice today

Limited practice today

Yeah that was from yesterday

Limited practice today

Sorry - I should get reading comprehension lessons.

Limited practice today

Thanks for the update. Sounds like he isn't ready yet if he went from limited in practice to not practicing.

Matt Forte said he didnt practice today because of the #Bears indoors. He felt fine after Wednesdays limited session.

Forte expects to be back "soon" but will have to be careful because #Bears have quick turnaround next week on Thanksgiving.

Complete speculation but I bet he returns on Thanksgiving

Complete speculation but I bet he returns on Thanksgiving

I'm thinking the following game. Giving him an extra ten days recovery time.

Unless Fox has Forte on his Fantasy roster, why would Fox rush Forte back? It's pointless...

Why wouldn't he? The whole season is pointless.

Limited practice today

Thanks for the update. Sounds like he isn't ready yet if he went from limited in practice to not practicing.

They didn't want him/Alshon on turf. I wouldn't read into it too much, he's a veteran. It's not like he needs practice. Goes without saying, tomorrow will be key if the winds die down.

Oh just stop. Dude is human. He didn't say anything inappropriate. He gets asked questions about the situation constantly. The guy answers honestly and people want to criticize him for it. He's put in a lot of hard years for a team that was never very good. He's earned the right to say whatever he likes. Forte will never be a "diva."

Not sure why Forte would rush back given his contract situation.

That's exactly why I am sure he *would* want to play sooner rather than later if he's healthy enough.

He's playing for his next - and likely last - contract and it's a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately situation he's facing more than his great track record.

Edited by zamboni

Maybe because he wants to play

Sure, guys like to play. They also like to get paid. Being a free agent, I'm not sure a game or two is worth it given the big picture.

A serious injury costs him last big contract, right?

Not sure why Forte would rush back given his contract situation.

That's exactly why I am sure he *would* want to play sooner rather than later if he's healthy enough.

He's playing for his next - and likely last - contract and it's a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately situation he's facing more than his great track record.

The fantasy community is what-have-you-done-lately, but I think Forte's resume speaks for itself. He does not have to rush back to prove himself.

Edited by DropKick

Sure, guys like to play. They also like to get paid. Being a free agent, I'm not sure a game or two is worth it given the big picture.

Of course it would. Hard to say what each guy is thinking. I can't imagine his likelihood of getting injured is that much higher coming back Sunday or Thursday. I have no doubt he's weighing his options on what's best for him. Maybe he's motivated more by money or not. He's made quite a bit in his career. He could just want to get back out there and play as soon as possible. He's been as humble of a guy as they come and has always kept his head down and worked.

Of course it would. Hard to say what each guy is thinking. I can't imagine his likelihood of getting injured is that much higher coming back Sunday or Thursday. I have no doubt he's weighing his options on what's best for him. Maybe he's motivated more by money or not. He's made quite a bit in his career. He could just want to get back out there and play as soon as possible. He's been as humble of a guy as they come and has always kept his head down and worked.

I think you're more likely to injure yourself if you come back at less than 100%.

I agree with you on Forte's character and work ethic... He doesn't come off as a "I gotta feed my family guy".

The fact that the Bears are playing well and could make some noise this season is probably the main reason to return at less than 100%.

I can agree with that. Tough decision to make when trying to come back from an injury I'm sure.

He seemed close last week as he was running on the field before the game. Short week this week and they had Langford splitting carries before Carey got hurt....If Forte plays can he be relied on vs. GB on Thanksgiving night? Tough call.

Here is latest rotoblurb:

Bears OC Adam Gase indicated Friday he intends to maintain a near-even touch split between Matt Forte and Jeremy Langford.

Forte played 37 of the Bears' offensive snaps in their Thanksgiving win at Lambeau, while Langford handled 30 downs. "We can keep them fresh and we should only get better from here on out and those guys will get in the flow of it," Gase said. Forte sounded fine with his reduced work: "I was fresh pretty much the (whole) game." Forte will be an RB2 play Sunday against the 49ers. Langford will be a mid-range to high-end flex.
I don't trust Roto to report facts without inserting a little of their own opinion. I tried to read the article but it won't let me without registering for the Chicago Tribune which I don't care to do. I'd like to know exactly what Gase is saying.
I would like to ask if anyone has access to that full article if they could please copy the article or at least let us know exactly what Gase said. TIA.

Bears OC Adam Gase indicated Friday he intends to maintain a near-even touch split between Matt Forte and Jeremy Langford.

Forte played 37 of the Bears' offensive snaps in their Thanksgiving win at Lambeau, while Langford handled 30 downs. "We can keep them fresh and we should only get better from here on out and those guys will get in the flow of it," Gase said. Forte sounded fine with his reduced work: "I was fresh pretty much the (whole) game." Forte will be an RB2 play Sunday against the 49ers. Langford will be a mid-range to high-end flex.
I don't trust Roto to report facts without inserting a little of their own opinion. I tried to read the article but it won't let me without registering for the Chicago Tribune which I don't care to do. I'd like to know exactly what Gase is saying.
I would like to ask if anyone has access to that full article if they could please copy the article or at least let us know exactly what Gase said. TIA.

tribune is weird like that... typically if you go to the reporter's twitter account they link their stories on twitter and those twitter links dont have a paywall... which is the case with this one. im not going to violate their paywall... but there isnt much more said other than what roto quoted. this seems about as even a RBBC as you are going to see.

tribune is weird like that... typically if you go to the reporter's twitter account they link their stories on twitter and those twitter links dont have a paywall... which is the case with this one. im not going to violate their paywall... but there isnt much more said other than what roto quoted. this seems about as even a RBBC as you are going to see.

Thanks and I was able to read the article earlier from the writers twitter account.

Nothing in the article suggest it won't be a RBBC, so nothing newsworthy but also at no point does Gase say it's going to be a near even split as roto reported. Article just states that Gase indicated the timeshare will continue but that's not even a direct quote. Not that I have much doubt it's a timeshare, but with Forte getting 10 days off from his first game back from injury and not playing on a wet field I had wondered if he might get more in the range of 60-65% but no information I can find supports that usage.

I was also hoping this week to get some type of news or information that indicated they might involve the RB's more in the passing game since Forte is an elite receiver as RB's go and Langford has looked really good in this department and with the injuries to Zach Miller, Wilson and Royal this might be a bigger part of the game plan. But again, nothing.

So yea this looks like a RBBC all the way and one that so far does not have clearly defined roles such as Forte is main passing down back and Langford primary or sole goal line back. Which I think both should be but not what I saw last week.

Right now, I have him benched behind Freeman, West, and Buck Allen. Splitting touches/opportunities is the highest factor.

You expect West to split less with Ware than Forte with Langford?

Right now, I have him benched behind Freeman, West, and Buck Allen. Splitting touches/opportunities is the highest factor.

I do.

I think West is in a better situation than Forte. At the very least, he will be in a 50/50 split with Ware. Nothing suggests that Reid will do anything less than that. There is also the possibility that goes back to West as the workhorse. He chose West over both Davis and Ware initially.

I keep going back and forth with Forte and West. Fantasypros has an overwhelming 78-22% in favor of Forte. I see it as 50-50 for both RBBC's so it may end up being a moot point but West is coming off of not playing last week and Forte has now had 10 days off since his last game.