What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Forte - to be more relevant again (1 Viewer)

Bayhawks said:
Run It Up said:
They offered Vereen around 3.5m expecting to be fine with White+FA if they couldn't retain him. I think 30 year old Matt Forte is better for the next two years than 2014 Shane Vereen.
Did they? How many years?

I think if Forte can get that over 2 years (maybe not "guaranteed" but likely years/money), that might do it.

If they did that, how would that leave them, cap-wise? Would they be able to improve their O-line, get another WR, tie-up some of the defense guys? 1 of these 3? 2?

If they're able to get him & address some of these other areas, they obviously look good for next year.

Also, assuming that happens, would you agree that it will lessen the FF impact of Forte AND Lewis?
In terms of the cap, they should be able to clear up about 20m. The bigger concern is 2017 when virtually the entire NE defense enters FA, they will probably start restructuring this offseason. Their biggest Oline issues were that they started off hurt and not only didn't recover everyone else slowly got hurt as well, the interior is fine and has depth, at tackle they have a great/elite LT and RT, but no depth. The Pats will likely be losing a WR, TE and RB through cuts or FA (Lafell, Chandler, Blount). I think they will look to fill all three of those vacancies, and hope to have around 5m to play with in the season.

As far as the FF impact, I think the easy answer is yeah it probably will reduce both of their ff impact - or at least Fortes production could take a hit from its ridiculous levels. If NE managed to sign him I think they would offer a unique 1-2 punch. A duo that share and compliment each other. We've seen it with TEs in the past in NE, I think its entirely possible with RBs as well.
Don't agree at all that a unique 1-2 punch is a good plan. Pats like to mix up the game plan depending on the D. They need the bruiser back for that.

I was certain the Bears would figure out a way to keep him with all of the cap space. I guess they really are rebuilding the entire team. Alshon only player on team drafted before 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
Bayhawks said:
Run It Up said:
They offered Vereen around 3.5m expecting to be fine with White+FA if they couldn't retain him. I think 30 year old Matt Forte is better for the next two years than 2014 Shane Vereen.
Did they? How many years?

I think if Forte can get that over 2 years (maybe not "guaranteed" but likely years/money), that might do it.

If they did that, how would that leave them, cap-wise? Would they be able to improve their O-line, get another WR, tie-up some of the defense guys? 1 of these 3? 2?

If they're able to get him & address some of these other areas, they obviously look good for next year.

Also, assuming that happens, would you agree that it will lessen the FF impact of Forte AND Lewis?
In terms of the cap, they should be able to clear up about 20m. The bigger concern is 2017 when virtually the entire NE defense enters FA, they will probably start restructuring this offseason. Their biggest Oline issues were that they started off hurt and not only didn't recover everyone else slowly got hurt as well, the interior is fine and has depth, at tackle they have a great/elite LT and RT, but no depth. The Pats will likely be losing a WR, TE and RB through cuts or FA (Lafell, Chandler, Blount). I think they will look to fill all three of those vacancies, and hope to have around 5m to play with in the season.

As far as the FF impact, I think the easy answer is yeah it probably will reduce both of their ff impact - or at least Fortes production could take a hit from its ridiculous levels. If NE managed to sign him I think they would offer a unique 1-2 punch. A duo that share and compliment each other. We've seen it with TEs in the past in NE, I think its entirely possible with RBs as well.
Don't agree at all that a unique 1-2 punch is a good plan. Pats like to mix up the game plan depending on the D. They need the bruiser back for that.
I don't follow NE beyond my general interest in football, and FF (stats-wise). I'd defer to guys like Run it up & Anarchy with regards to game plan, cap, team make-up, etc.

That being said, I don't think they "NEED" a bruiser back, per se. Forte can fill that role when their game plan calls for more of a traditional RB. He may have lost a step, but I think he should still be adequate if they design a game-plan that calls for that.

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini believes Matt Forte could see some time out of the slot as a pass catcher.
Cimini referenced C.J. Spiller, who has a similar pass-catching skill set to Forte, catching 115 passes between 2011 and 2013 under Gailey in Buffalo. Gailey uses a ton of four-wide sets, which could lead to Forte and Eric Decker inside and Brandon Marshall and Devin Smith out wide. It'd also be a way to get both Forte and Khiry Robinson on the field. Forte has big PPR potential in 2016.

Source: ESPN.com
May 29 - 10:29 AM

The New York Post's Brian Costello reports the Jets will give Matt Forte "plenty of rest" this season.

The implication being Bilal Powell and Khiry Robinson will see their fair share of work as part of a rotation. ESPN's Rich Cimini had a similar report earlier this week, saying the Jets plan to use a "time-share system." It has become clear Forte's touches will be limited, but he is still being drafted as a top-15 running back. There is a good chance he disappoints at that draft cost.

Source: New York Post

Matt Forte hasn't practiced since injuring his hamstring early in training camp.
This has gone beyond the point of a minor bump or bruise. Forte hasn't practiced in two weeks and coach Todd Bowles has been noncommittal about his status, calling him "day-to-day or week-to-week." He has little chance of suiting up for Friday's second preseason game against the Redskins. Bilal Powell has been working with the first-team offense during Forte's absence.

Source: ESPN.com 
Aug 14 - 8:52 AM

Matt Forte (hamstring) returned to team drills at Jets camp on Wednesday.
It's progress after Forte opened the week participating only in individual work. Per beat writer Ralph Vacchiano, Forte took hits with the first team on Wednesday, "flashed some speed" after catching a pass over the middle from Ryan Fitzpatrick, and "look(ed) fine" in practice. Opinions vary on Forte's fantasy outlook this season. We've seen him start to fall into the fifth round.

Source: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter
Aug 17 - 5:10 PM

Jets coach Todd Bowles wants Matt Forte to "get a few snaps in" during Saturday night's regular season dress rehearsal.
The fact that Forte is scheduled to play at all is a positive after he missed a big chunk of practices with a hamstring injury. It seems the Jets were simply being cautious with their new lead running back. Forte has reportedly looked sharp in practice since returning to full-squad drills last week.

Source: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter 
Aug 21 - 8:24 PM

but it can happen for one trick pony Chris Ivory who finished 7th in standard scoring last year in the exact same offense?
One trick pony?  Ivory had been great for them but they didn't really use him until last year.  Ivory had also been on the team for a few years.  This will be Forte's first year.  If you look at the history of aging RBs on new teams you'll see that it's not very impressive.  I know what Forte can do as a life long Bears fan but the odds are stacked against him.  This doesn't mean he can't but I'm not betting on it.

One trick pony?  Ivory had been great for them but they didn't really use him until last year.  Ivory had also been on the team for a few years.  This will be Forte's first year.  If you look at the history of aging RBs on new teams you'll see that it's not very impressive.  I know what Forte can do as a life long Bears fan but the odds are stacked against him.  This doesn't mean he can't but I'm not betting on it.
I agree he has major risks, but it is factored into the price.  For a fourth round pick you get one of the most consistent RB's in the last 5-6 years on a team that runs quite a bit and also throws to their backs.  I think the upside is worth the risk in the fourth and if you started WR heavy he gives you the chance to have an RB1.  I don't think there are many other guys drafter near him or after him that have as clear of a path to solid RB1 numbers.  Personally I like getting him with Anderson in the third and Mathews in the 5th/6th as my all risk back field.  Maybe add Gore in the 7th to help with the floor. 

I agree he has major risks, but it is factored into the price.  For a fourth round pick you get one of the most consistent RB's in the last 5-6 years on a team that runs quite a bit and also throws to their backs.  I think the upside is worth the risk in the fourth and if you started WR heavy he gives you the chance to have an RB1.  I don't think there are many other guys drafter near him or after him that have as clear of a path to solid RB1 numbers.  Personally I like getting him with Anderson in the third and Mathews in the 5th/6th as my all risk back field.  Maybe add Gore in the 7th to help with the floor. 
I've enjoyed taking another player in the 4th round and getting Powell at the very end of the draft.

I've enjoyed taking another player in the 4th round and getting Powell at the very end of the draft.
Powell does seem like a good late pick this year weather you take Forte or not.  I've heard a couple places that Bowles likes to use the committee approach to RB's and probably wont go away from it.

Forte is alot better than ivory.  Just draft powell to guard vs. Injury
Looking at last year's stats they both had exactly the same total yards but Ivory had one more TD.  I agree that Forte has been more athletic than Ivory but Ivory still gets the job done and scores rushing TDs.

Looking at last year's stats they both had exactly the same total yards but Ivory had one more TD.  I agree that Forte has been more athletic than Ivory but Ivory still gets the job done and scores rushing TDs.
Forte played 2 less games though.  Forte 13.1 ppg vs Ivory 11.8 ppg.  Both averaged about 16.5 carries per game but Forte's extra 1.5 receptions per game and 1.5 extra ypr seem to be the main difference.  I expect Forte to still get 15-16 carries per game and 3 or so receptions.  Seems like a good shot for RB1 numbers.

The high workload backs falling apart at age 31 theory yields mixed results. Here are all the players that had 2,500 touches and how they performed at age 31:

Code:
Player	FPts	Rank
Emmitt Smith	182	19
Walter Payton	277	4
Curtis Martin	278	4
L Tomlinson	  164	16
Jerome Bettis	134	26
Marcus Allen	58	54
Marshall Faulk	136	28
Edgerrin James	14	100
Thurman Thomas	91	40
Tony Dorsett	236	6
Eric Dickerson	99	33
Franco Harris	178	18
Steven Jackson	122	22
Warrick Dunn	161	24
John Riggins	DNP	DNP
Eddie George	76	41
Ricky Watters	240	9
Frank Gore	  148	17
Thomas Jones	230	6
Ottis Anderson	75	50
Corey Dillon	169	16
Fred Taylor	  156	18
Tiki Barber	  243	7
Ricky Williams	118	38
Earnest Byner	36	69
O.J. Simpson	95	52
Roger Craig	  79	43

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivory was a far more dominant goal line back then Forte has been. I think Powell may take some looks around the red zone that he didn't get before and it will be a more even split between him and Forte. 

I I don't like Forte at his current price but I love Powell's at around round 10-11

Ivory was a far more dominant goal line back then Forte has been. I think Powell may take some looks around the red zone that he didn't get before and it will be a more even split between him and Forte. 

I I don't like Forte at his current price but I love Powell's at around round 10-11
I think there is some misconception of Forte's and Ivory's TD rate.  Last three years TD/Touch

Forte - .027, .027, .033

Ivory - .027, .032, .016

Powell - .026, .023, .005

They seem pretty similar to me in TD's per touch.  I guess I'm not as worried as you about the TD's.  

I think there is some misconception of Forte's and Ivory's TD rate.  Last three years TD/Touch

Forte - .027, .027, .033

Ivory - .027, .032, .016

Powell - .026, .023, .005

They seem pretty similar to me in TD's per touch.  I guess I'm not as worried as you about the TD's.  
I was more referring to carries as opposed to passes. With Ivory/Powell you had a back in Ivory that took just about all the carries near the goal line. Powell a pass catching back. 

Now you you have Forte/Powell both good pass catching backs. I'm envisaging that Powell takes some of those Ivory goal line carries away from Forte ( who I believe had a terrible conversion rate from carries near the goal line last season ).

Of course Forte will eat into Powell catches from last season that Ivory didn't get. 

Maybe be it all adds up to the same but I prefer the value of a well liked back who's been at the club for a while and was given a similar contract to Forte. 

I was more referring to carries as opposed to passes. With Ivory/Powell you had a back in Ivory that took just about all the carries near the goal line. Powell a pass catching back. 

Now you you have Forte/Powell both good pass catching backs. I'm envisaging that Powell takes some of those Ivory goal line carries away from Forte ( who I believe had a terrible conversion rate from carries near the goal line last season ).

Of course Forte will eat into Powell catches from last season that Ivory didn't get. 

Maybe be it all adds up to the same but I prefer the value of a well liked back who's been at the club for a while and was given a similar contract to Forte. 
Forte has always seemed to struggle with goal line TDs, not just last year.  Not sure if it's him or if it's been the OL.

So 6 out of 27 put up RB1 numbers.  One of those guys didn't even play.
I don't really have a dog in this fight or have a demonstrative opinion on this one, but if there are 32 NFL teams and 12 fantasy RB1s, that's a rate of 37.5%. 6 out of 27 is a rate of 22.2%. Overall, it probably boils down to what role each RB was slated for at the time they were 31. If we knew before the season started that the 31 year old back was going to be a back up, timeshare, or in a RBBC, that would obviously limited his chances of having a great fantasy season.

Looking at the last two seasons for the jets the carries and receptions for RB's is below.

2014 - 393 carries and 57 receptions

2015 - 386 carries and 94 receptions

So lets say this year they rush around 390 times and have 90 receptions.  I see the breakdown as (assuming both play 16 games)

Forte - 240 carries and 50 receptions

Powell - 120 carries and 30 receptions

Others - 30 carries and 10 receptions

Given Forte's career TD rate is similar to that of the Jets RB's from last couple years, I project 8 Td's  for Forte given the above work load.

I think there is an valid argument that Forte won't see 15 carries a game but I think Forte is getting 200 carries if he plays the whole season at a minimum.  I think there is also an valid argument that Forte will catch more than 50 balls this year.  Like I said before, there is a path to solid RB1 numbers for Forte while still having a pretty reasonable floor for a 4th round pick.  

Powell is garbage, that is all.
He was definitely an underperformer prior to last year, but the light seemed to go on for him last year. He's actually a pretty good all-around player, and the Jets thought enough to give him the same money as Forte.

He was definitely an underperformer prior to last year, but the light seemed to go on for him last year. He's actually a pretty good all-around player, and the Jets thought enough to give him the same money as Forte.
Far from apples to apples, but Powell averaged 0.75 fantasy points per touch vs. 0.65 for Forte (0 ppr leagues).

That's fine and all but he's a one-trick pony in the running game. He excels in 3rd downs out of shotgun draws, that's all.

He's one hell of a pass catching threat but that's about where it ends. He will never be a 3-down threat. There's a reason he only got 70 carries to 47 receptions last year.

...the money is nice but we know that's not the end all, if that were the case Spiller would be a Top 5 fantasy back.

Far from apples to apples, but Powell averaged 0.75 fantasy points per touch vs. 0.65 for Forte (0 ppr leagues).
This means nothing when you consider Forte touched the ball 262 times last year and Powell touched the ball 113 times.

It actually becomes a positive for Forte who despite having more than twice as many touches (2.32x) he was only marginally less effective than a guy who runs almost exclusively from shotgun.

Is this how you do your rankings?  Just base it off certain opinions?  I don't think Powell is great but he certainly gets the job done and is a great value in drafts right now.
No. It's called I actually watch these games. Bilal Powell is a 3rd down back. He can't run from behind center. Most of those carries Ivory had last year came from under center.

Those carries will go to Forte not Powell. Forte is actually an incredible pass catching back and does well out of shotgun himself. Everything Powell does well, Forte does well too.

I don't see how Powell can realistically improve on his touches from last year when he's not going to see increased carries from under center and arguably a better pass catching back just came into town.

Here are his highlights from last year, I dare you to find me one quality run from anything other than a shotgun draw.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NQhQMnUUMBg

No. It's called I actually watch these games. Bilal Powell is a 3rd down back. He can't run from behind center. Most of those carries Ivory had last year came from under center.

Those carries will go to Forte not Powell. Forte is actually an incredible pass catching back and does well out of shotgun himself. Everything Powell does well, Forte does well too.

I don't see how Powell can realistically improve on his touches from last year when he's not going to see increased carries from under center and arguably a better pass catching back just came into town.

Here are his highlights from last year, I dare you to find me one quality run from anything other than a shotgun draw.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NQhQMnUUMBg
But what happens if Forte gets hurt which he has a tendency to miss a couple games a year?  What if he hits that wall that so many RBs over 30 do?  Are you saying that Powell is such a crappy RB that he couldn't give you high RB2 numbers?  That is the value I'm looking for in a late round pick.

Users who are viewing this thread