What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Official Pittsburgh Steelers Off & ON Season Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Godsbrother

Footballguy
Okay it is time to start up the 2013 offseason thread. First up: what the heck are they going to do at RB? It seems unlikely the Steelers will re-sign Mendenhall and as we all know the Dwyer/Redman combo did not work out too well in 2012. Personally I think the Steelers should let Mendenhall test the FA waters because I don't think the is going to be offered much more than league minimum as a backup. While Mendenhall has some baggage he is only 26 and better than any RB on the team. If he comes cheap then I don't see much of a downside in signing him. If the Steelers don't re-sign Mendenhall then I would like to see them spend a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a RB and bring in Justin Forsett or Lagurette Blount.Here is what Ed Bouchette has to say about the RB situation:

Steelers Sunday Spotlight: Running back / Help wantedJanuary 20, 2013 1:07 amBy Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-GazetteThe once-proud Steelers running game ground to a crawl in 2012, producing its fewest yards since the "Tommy Gun" offense failed so miserably in 2003.And it's only getting worse.The Steelers have one halfback under contract for 2013, Baron Batch, whose broken forearm is mending. Rashard Mendenhall is an unrestricted free agent. Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman are restricted free agents. The Steelers announced they would cut Chris Rainey hours after the half-pint halfback was arrested in Florida on charges of domestic battery; that will become official after the Super Bowl.They have no true feature halfback if they do not sign Mendenhall, who had a terrible 2012 season because of injuries and a mistake in judgment that cost him a one-game suspension and perhaps a chance to return for 2013.Their priority must be either to re-sign Mendenhall or bring in another feature back, most likely through the draft. They cannot go into their next season without one. Dwyer and Redman are complementary backs and they have value in that. Batch can be a good role player, one similar to that played by Mewelde Moore from 2008-11."I can say collectively that group wasn't as good as we anticipated," general manager Kevin Colbert said Wednesday.If they are serious about improving their running game, they must find a runner to do so. The odds of Mendenhall returning are not good. First, do the coaches and/or his teammates want him back after he failed to show up for their game Dec. 9 against San Diego after he was informed he would be inactive? And does Mendenhall want to return to a team and a coach who did not start him again after he fumbled twice in four carries Nov. 25 at Cleveland?It is the second time coach Mike Tomlin benched his former first-round draft choice. He did not play him at halfback Sept. 27, 2009 at Cincinnati, because he felt his preparation that week did not warrant it. Mendenhall played only on special teams that game.Yet through it all, Mendenhall has been a good back when not injured. He ran for 1,108 yards and a 4.6-yard average per carry in 2009 and 1,273 yards and a 3.9-yard average with 13 touchdowns in 2010. He had 928 yards and a 4.1-yard average when his 2011 season ended early in the final game at Cleveland with a torn ACL.Mendenhall missed the first three games of this past season because of that injury. He started in the fourth game and looked like the old Mendenhall, running for a 13-yard touchdown with a lateral that was later ruled a pass reception and picking up 68 yards on 13 carries.But early in the next game at Tennessee, his achilles was hurt after his sixth carry, and he would miss the next four games.Mendenhall managed only 182 yards rushing on 51 carries and scored no touchdowns on the ground. He is young, turning 26 in June. He is 5 feet 10 inches, 225 pounds and has the combination of speed, quickness and enough power to make him a dangerous runner, as he was for several seasons.Good runners, as the Houston Texans have shown with Arian Foster and the Steelers did with another undrafted player in Willie Parker, can be found anywhere. But the best still go high in the draft.The Steelers have a choice: Sign Mendenhall or draft one, and scouts have identified no back as a great prospect this year. One or two might be drafted in the first round, but early on, no back is rated a first-round prospect. Alabama's Eddie Lacy is rated as the top back by NFLDraftScout.com, but that site gives him a second-round grade.Dwyer led the Steelers with 623 yards, their lowest leading rusher since Merrill Hoge topped Chuck Noll's final team in 1991 with 810. Dwyer averaged 4.0 yards a carry and scored twice, as did Redman, who came in second with 410 yards and a 3.7-yard average.Those two combined for three consecutive individual 100-yard games at midseason. Dwyer ran for 122 at Cincinnati and 107 the following game against Washington. But he did not play in the next game because of a thigh injury, and Redman ran for 147 at the New York Giants. The Steelers won all three games.They did little on the ground the rest of the way.There is no question that Dwyer and Redman are big enough, but they are not quick enough to avoid hits or tackles, and their consistency was not good. They also had various injuries throughout the season that curtailed them and a constantly shifting offensive line.Neither is seen as a back the Steelers want to have as their top runner in 2013.Batch, who missed his entire rookie season with an ACL injury that occurred in training camp, came back with a limited role in 2012. He had only 25 carries for 49 yards and caught four passes. That role should expand next season, especially with Rainey out of the picture.The Steelers had plans for Rainey and thought he could develop into a role player as well with his speed. They did not release him because they did not believe in his playing ability, as some might suggest.Adding a feature back should lift all boats in this backfield because the three remaining halfbacks are all capable complementary backs.For the first time in years, the Steelers also counted a fullback among their backfield. Will Johnson served primarily as a blocker and an occasional receiver. He caught 15 passes for 137 yards and one touchdown and carried only twice for 7 yards. They believe he will only get better at a position that was new to him in his first year in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are options in this draft other than Lacy at RB too. Marcus Lattimore is obviously the big X factor - there's virtually no way he gets drafted in round 1 and maybe not round 2 either with his injuries, but if you can wait a year and you get lucky, you could get a franchise back in the 3rd round. Without injuries, I believe he's easily the top RB drafted. Kenjon Barner is a guy that could be there in the 3rd if they want to hang on to Redman and have a speed complement in the backfield. If they want a new bruiser, Le'Veon Bell from Michigan State is a big back without a ton of niftiness, kind of like a Brandon Jacobs or Michael Bush. This is, if they don't spend an early pick on a guy like Ball, Bernard, or Lacy.Two other possible draft-day sleepers are another guy coming off a terrible injury history - Knile Davis, and Rutgers back Jawan Jamison. Jamison is a guy that reminds me a lot of Ray Rice, aside from the fact that they both went to my alma mater. Jamison lacks Rice's top-end speed, so he doesn't run away from tacklers like Rice did, but he's got a very similar build and running style - he uses his blockers well to set up and he stays low and grinds out extra yards. He's not really a "Steelers" type running back, but he's a guy that could be effective in the right offense. Davis is a guy I like more than most, his size/speed and his productivity in the nation's toughest conference are tough to overlook, but like Lattimore, the injuries are a major drawback.Finally, Ray Graham the local kid will probably get a look on day 3.

a quick search yields a fair number of cast-offs that could produce and at a cheap price. not sure of the status of most of these players but i imagine the steelers might look to a low-priced free agent: Roy Helu, Javon Ringer, Da'rel Scott (i loved him coming out of college, myself), Johnny White, Bernard Scott, DJ Ware, Brandon Jackson, Chris Ivory. i would love to see a 2nd or 3rd round Marcus Lattimore selection along with one of these scrubs to redefine the backfield. big fan of Ivory and/or Da'rel Scott for some depth and experience.

There are options in this draft other than Lacy at RB too. Marcus Lattimore is obviously the big X factor - there's virtually no way he gets drafted in round 1 and maybe not round 2 either with his injuries, but if you can wait a year and you get lucky, you could get a franchise back in the 3rd round. Without injuries, I believe he's easily the top RB drafted. Kenjon Barner is a guy that could be there in the 3rd if they want to hang on to Redman and have a speed complement in the backfield. If they want a new bruiser, Le'Veon Bell from Michigan State is a big back without a ton of niftiness, kind of like a Brandon Jacobs or Michael Bush. This is, if they don't spend an early pick on a guy like Ball, Bernard, or Lacy.Two other possible draft-day sleepers are another guy coming off a terrible injury history - Knile Davis, and Rutgers back Jawan Jamison. Jamison is a guy that reminds me a lot of Ray Rice, aside from the fact that they both went to my alma mater. Jamison lacks Rice's top-end speed, so he doesn't run away from tacklers like Rice did, but he's got a very similar build and running style - he uses his blockers well to set up and he stays low and grinds out extra yards. He's not really a "Steelers" type running back, but he's a guy that could be effective in the right offense. Davis is a guy I like more than most, his size/speed and his productivity in the nation's toughest conference are tough to overlook, but like Lattimore, the injuries are a major drawback.Finally, Ray Graham the local kid will probably get a look on day 3.
The Steelers obviously have an immediate need for RB so I doubt they go for Lattimore. I really like Giovani Bernard if he's there for the Steelers #2 pick but he probably won't be. I would have no problem using a 4th on Jamison and/or a 5th on Graham.

The Steelers obviously have an immediate need for RB so I doubt they go for Lattimore. I really like Giovani Bernard if he's there for the Steelers #2 pick but he probably won't be. I would have no problem using a 4th on Jamison and/or a 5th on Graham.
Lattimore would be the home run play and the potential long-term solution if they pick up a guy on a one year deal (like a Ben Tate, Beanie Wells, etc..) and give Lattimore a year to rehab and get some reps with an eye towards his being the feature back in 2014 and forward. I, for one, don't think Redman is so useless that they couldn't run the ball effectively with a speed guy in a platoon backfield. Redman is so damn hard to get on the ground, he runs with purpose and fights for extra yards, there's always room for a guy like that on my team.

What about backup QB? Batch is going to retire and Leftwich has proven he cannot be relied upon. So do the Steelers sign a veteran QB to backup Ben or spend a 3rd or 4th in the draft and roll with a rookie backup?

What about backup QB? Batch is going to retire and Leftwich has proven he cannot be relied upon. So do the Steelers sign a veteran QB to backup Ben or spend a 3rd or 4th in the draft and roll with a rookie backup?
Developmental pick in the mid-rounds (maybe) and sign Tebow for the minimum.

I know its not a great option, but Matt Cassel may be out there after KC releases him -- wouldnt be a bad backup and has experience in Haley's offense.

My guess is that they go defense (linebacker or end) in the first round. Hopefully Lacy is there in the 2nd but if not, they could go a number of ways with that pick.

My guess is that they go defense (linebacker or end) in the first round. Hopefully Lacy is there in the 2nd but if not, they could go a number of ways with that pick.
I think they go defense, but maybe look at S and see if Vacchario from Texas is still there.

I know its not a great option, but Matt Cassel may be out there after KC releases him -- wouldnt be a bad backup and has experience in Haley's offense.
I wouldn't cry over it. The guy's not great, but I'd still rather have him than Sanchez or any of Arizona's QBs, for example. He's shown he can play adequately and win a few games in a decent offense.

I think they go defense, but maybe look at S and see if Vacchario from Texas is still there.
They have needs all over the defense. They need a NT unless they're sold on McClendon as the guy going forward, they definitely need more pass rushers as Harrison is nearing the end and Woodley fell off big-time. They could use another corner for sure, and both safety spots are manned by older guys. I wouldn't be surprised if we see them take a G, a RB, and a WR between rounds 3-6 and spend all the rest of their picks on defense.

They have needs all over the defense. They need a NT unless they're sold on McClendon as the guy going forward, they definitely need more pass rushers as Harrison is nearing the end and Woodley fell off big-time. They could use another corner for sure, and both safety spots are manned by older guys. I wouldn't be surprised if we see them take a G, a RB, and a WR between rounds 3-6 and spend all the rest of their picks on defense.
I am down with this although I do like McClendon. I also would like to see them re-sign Starks or Foster or both for depth.

They could do a lot worse than Cassel at backup but I have a feeling even his price tag will be too high. Matt Moore might not be a bad option either.

Draft: Stepfan Taylor wouldn't make me sad were he able to be had in the third, but wonder if he isn't pretty much more of what they already have(good complement, but not a guy to rely on to be "the man"). I just don't see any guy they'd get burning their first rounder on that is really head and shoulders above the next run in this class of runners. I like Lacy well enough, but he's not worth the 17. Certainly not with the needs they have on defense.FA: Goodson, K. Smith, F. Jones all have talent. They also all get injured a bunch, but when healthy have looked the part. Someone like that is about as good as they can probably expect as a FA. They ain't bringing back Mendenhall, IMO.I expect they're going to attempt to go at RB via both FA and the draft. They'll bring in a boring seeming free agent, of the type mentioned above, and they'll spend a mid-rounder on an attempt to replace the "gimmick" back they lost in Rainey. Just my guess.

Draft: Stepfan Taylor wouldn't make me sad were he able to be had in the third, but wonder if he isn't pretty much more of what they already have(good complement, but not a guy to rely on to be "the man"). I just don't see any guy they'd get burning their first rounder on that is really head and shoulders above the next run in this class of runners. I like Lacy well enough, but he's not worth the 17. Certainly not with the needs they have on defense.FA: Goodson, K. Smith, F. Jones all have talent. They also all get injured a bunch, but when healthy have looked the part. Someone like that is about as good as they can probably expect as a FA. They ain't bringing back Mendenhall, IMO.I expect they're going to attempt to go at RB via both FA and the draft. They'll bring in a boring seeming free agent, of the type mentioned above, and they'll spend a mid-rounder on an attempt to replace the "gimmick" back they lost in Rainey. Just my guess.
Taylor would be better than anybody we suited up last year. If he can be had with our 3rd (not likely), I'd love that pick. I think we really need to look at a pass rusher, DL, ILB (if Teo falls) or OL with the 1st round pick. None of the safeties are good enough to be #17. If one of the 3 good TEs make it to our 2nd pick, I wouldn't mind that either. Miller is no spring chicken and coming off a late-season injury. Some nice WR depth to take advantage of in the 3rd/4th. I think our needs meet up with this year's draft nicely, and it'd be hard to screw this one up.

Good riddance-- the Steelers special teams was a disaster last year

Special teams coach Jones leaves Steelers

January 27, 2013 12:29 am

Pittsburgh Post Gazette

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin now has three openings to fill on his staff after Amos Jones accepted a job to become the special teams coordinator with the Arizona Cardinals.

Tomlin hired Jones as his assistant special teams coach when he became head coach in 2007. Jones took over all special teams duties last season when Tomlin fired special teams coordinator Al Everest in the preseason.

Jones, 53, was hired by his friend and new Arizona coach Bruce Arians, a former Steelers offensive coordinator whose contract was not renewed a year ago. The two worked on the Steelers staff together for five years and both were on Bear Bryant's Alabama coaching staff together in the early 1980s.

Jones, a native of Aliceville, Ala., also played for Bryant at Alabama.

The Tuscaloosa News first reported the hiring, and it has been confirmed by the Post-Gazette. The Cardinals are expected to announce Jones' hiring this week.

Jones is the third assistant coach to leave the Steelers. Besides Everest's firing, offensive line coach Sean Kugler left after the season to become head coach at UTEP.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/special-teams-coach-jones-leaves-steelers-672220/#ixzz2JHGbqeCL

Taylor would be better than anybody we suited up last year. If he can be had with our 3rd (not likely), I'd love that pick. I think we really need to look at a pass rusher, DL, ILB (if Teo falls) or OL with the 1st round pick. None of the safeties are good enough to be #17. If one of the 3 good TEs make it to our 2nd pick, I wouldn't mind that either. Miller is no spring chicken and coming off a late-season injury. Some nice WR depth to take advantage of in the 3rd/4th. I think our needs meet up with this year's draft nicely, and it'd be hard to screw this one up.
I don't want Te'o. Ogletree if he's there at #17 (good luck) or move on from ILB is my opinion.I'm curious to see if they'll take a NT in this draft. Hampton is on his way out, and I doubt they wait until he's finished to draft a replacement. I like McClendon as much as the next guy, but they have no one behind him except Ta-Amu, whose future with the team is tenuous at best. If they don't draft a bonafide nose, I have to believe that they still think Ta'Amu could contribute down the road. I want to hold out hope that he can, because I saw some of him in college and his size/quickness combination was very intriguing. I think given an NFL weight-room regimen to bulk up his lower half and some technique refinement, he could be a starting NT in the NFL.

Good riddance-- the Steelers special teams was a disaster last year

Special teams coach Jones leaves Steelers

January 27, 2013 12:29 am

Pittsburgh Post Gazette

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin now has three openings to fill on his staff after Amos Jones accepted a job to become the special teams coordinator with the Arizona Cardinals.

Tomlin hired Jones as his assistant special teams coach when he became head coach in 2007. Jones took over all special teams duties last season when Tomlin fired special teams coordinator Al Everest in the preseason.

Jones, 53, was hired by his friend and new Arizona coach Bruce Arians, a former Steelers offensive coordinator whose contract was not renewed a year ago. The two worked on the Steelers staff together for five years and both were on Bear Bryant's Alabama coaching staff together in the early 1980s.

Jones, a native of Aliceville, Ala., also played for Bryant at Alabama.

The Tuscaloosa News first reported the hiring, and it has been confirmed by the Post-Gazette. The Cardinals are expected to announce Jones' hiring this week.

Jones is the third assistant coach to leave the Steelers. Besides Everest's firing, offensive line coach Sean Kugler left after the season to become head coach at UTEP.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/special-teams-coach-jones-leaves-steelers-672220/#ixzz2JHGbqeCL
Just heard a report the Steelers have gotten permission from the Washington Redskins to talk to special teams coach Danny Smith.From the Redskin's website:

In 2011, Smith’s special teams unit ranked first in the NFC in kick return average allowed (20.8 yards) for the second consecutive season. Additionally, the unit ranked fifth in the NFC in opponents’ average starting position (21.8-yard line on kickoffs).

He also helped Brandon Banks become one of the league’s most consistent return specialists. Banks finished the season with career highs in kick returns and kick return yards with 51 kick returns for 1,174 yards, which led the NFL in both categories.
Smith is originally from Pittsburgh and is interested in returning to his hometown.

ld be better than anybody we suited up last year. If he can be had with our 3rd (not likely), I'd love that pick. I think we really need to look at a pass rusher, DL, ILB (if Teo falls) or OL with the 1st round pick. None of the safeties are good enough to be #17. If one of the 3 good TEs make it to our 2nd pick, I wouldn't mind that either. Miller is no spring chicken and coming off a late-season injury. Some nice WR depth to take advantage of in the 3rd/4th. I think our needs meet up with this year's draft nicely, and it'd be hard to screw this one up.
I think this is definitely their first order of business. From all the pressers we've heard from Tomlin/Colbert since the season ended, we know they ain't happy with the lack of pressure. I'm leaning toward the "I want Dion Jordan" camp, if his shoulder checks out okay. If they don't go OLB, Jesse Williams wouldn't make me the least bit upset either. Aussies rock.They'll clearly be addressing RB too, given how they've talked, I just expect it's going to be mid-rounder in an effort to replace Rainey rather than dropping a first or second on anyone. That said, I think Taylor COULD be a guy they see in round three because I don't think he's going to run that well. Maybe not very likely, but it wouldn't be totally shocking to me either.

They absolutely need to be looking for a serviceable or better TE, at least for '13, whether it's as a FA or a draftee. Miller may not be 100% for a while and, as you say, he's not getting any younger. I kind of like Kelce and Escobar as mid-rounders there.

Draft: Stepfan Taylor wouldn't make me sad were he able to be had in the third, but wonder if he isn't pretty much more of what they already have(good complement, but not a guy to rely on to be "the man"). I just don't see any guy they'd get burning their first rounder on that is really head and shoulders above the next run in this class of runners. I like Lacy well enough, but he's not worth the 17. Certainly not with the needs they have on defense.

FA: Goodson, K. Smith, F. Jones all have talent. They also all get injured a bunch, but when healthy have looked the part. Someone like that is about as good as they can probably expect as a FA. They ain't bringing back Mendenhall, IMO.

I expect they're going to attempt to go at RB via both FA and the draft. They'll bring in a boring seeming free agent, of the type mentioned above, and they'll spend a mid-rounder on an attempt to replace the "gimmick" back they lost in Rainey. Just my guess.
really?OL and QB are the only spots that I am confident they will not use a first round pick on.

Draft: Stepfan Taylor wouldn't make me sad were he able to be had in the third, but wonder if he isn't pretty much more of what they already have(good complement, but not a guy to rely on to be "the man"). I just don't see any guy they'd get burning their first rounder on that is really head and shoulders above the next run in this class of runners. I like Lacy well enough, but he's not worth the 17. Certainly not with the needs they have on defense.

FA: Goodson, K. Smith, F. Jones all have talent. They also all get injured a bunch, but when healthy have looked the part. Someone like that is about as good as they can probably expect as a FA. They ain't bringing back Mendenhall, IMO.

I expect they're going to attempt to go at RB via both FA and the draft. They'll bring in a boring seeming free agent, of the type mentioned above, and they'll spend a mid-rounder on an attempt to replace the "gimmick" back they lost in Rainey. Just my guess.
really?OL and QB are the only spots that I am confident they will not use a first round pick on.
I agree. The Steelers used high draft picks on Maurkice Pouncey, Marcus Gilbert, David DeCastro and Mike Adams recntly and seem to be happy with the idea of moving Beachum to guard so there is your starting offensive line. They are still going to need depth at O-line since Starks, Legursky and Foster are all UFAs and it sounds like Colon is going to be cut, but you don't spend a high draft pick on a backup. My guess no higher than a 4th will be spent on o-line.

ld be better than anybody we suited up last year. If he can be had with our 3rd (not likely), I'd love that pick. I think we really need to look at a pass rusher, DL, ILB (if Teo falls) or OL with the 1st round pick. None of the safeties are good enough to be #17. If one of the 3 good TEs make it to our 2nd pick, I wouldn't mind that either. Miller is no spring chicken and coming off a late-season injury. Some nice WR depth to take advantage of in the 3rd/4th. I think our needs meet up with this year's draft nicely, and it'd be hard to screw this one up.
I think this is definitely their first order of business. From all the pressers we've heard from Tomlin/Colbert since the season ended, we know they ain't happy with the lack of pressure. I'm leaning toward the "I want Dion Jordan" camp, if his shoulder checks out okay. If they don't go OLB, Jesse Williams wouldn't make me the least bit upset either. Aussies rock.They'll clearly be addressing RB too, given how they've talked, I just expect it's going to be mid-rounder in an effort to replace Rainey rather than dropping a first or second on anyone. That said, I think Taylor COULD be a guy they see in round three because I don't think he's going to run that well. Maybe not very likely, but it wouldn't be totally shocking to me either.

They absolutely need to be looking for a serviceable or better TE, at least for '13, whether it's as a FA or a draftee. Miller may not be 100% for a while and, as you say, he's not getting any younger. I kind of like Kelce and Escobar as mid-rounders there.
If they want a pass rusher (and I agree, they do), this is the year. Draft is very deep with pass rushers and they actually have a decent pick for a change. Jarvis Jones, Werner, and Moore will be long gone by the time they pick, but guys like Mingo, Jordan, and Ansah are possibilities - all three are intriguing.

Steelers name Jack Bicknell Jr. Offensive Line coachBicknell was most recently the Offensive Line coach for Kansas City 2012.

What about Chris Johnson as the starting RB?
He's been very inconsistent in the past couple of years but he is world's better than what they have. I know there is speculation that the Titans may release him but I would think he is still going to want more $$$ than the Steelers would be willing to pay.

Would like to see them go for Beanie Wells. Wouldn't take much to get him and he doesn't make much (1.4 M). Also wouldn't mind Blount at the right price.

'Ben Stiller said:
I think their top two orders of business on draft day should be OLB and safety. Deep class for both.
While I like Worlids, Woodley and Harrison, the drop off from those guys to the next LB up is rather precipitous. The same could be said at S

I would like to see them at least try swapping Ziggy and McClendon. Ziggy is reportedly the strongest guy on the team and may be better at NT. I think McClendon has shown some nice pass rushing ability in the limited snaps he and I think he can be a very good NT but Ziggy at NT and Steve at DE may be a better DL.

I would like to see them at least try swapping Ziggy and McClendon. Ziggy is reportedly the strongest guy on the team and may be better at NT. I think McClendon has shown some nice pass rushing ability in the limited snaps he and I think he can be a very good NT but Ziggy at NT and Steve at DE may be a better DL.
I have no problem with this at all. Pretty sad that Heyward has been such a bust though...

Hood gets washed out with regularity playing DE. I have no idea how he could be counted on to absorb, and control, double teams at NG. I don't care how strong he is, he lets guys get under his pads and control him waaaaay too much.I'm no real fan of McClendon either, but I think Hood on the nose is whistling past the graveyard. The "next great Steelers NT" very likely isn't on the team yet, unfortunately.

Saving my spot & subscribing to this thread. :towelwave:I wounder if Brandon Jacobs might be an option at RB. It would take a pretty narrowly-overlapping set of circumstances to make it work, though -- he'd have to be willing to contribute in a platoon system after being toolish enough about that this year to drop his salary demands to league minimum. And he'd have to remain healthy and productive enough after (effectively) a year off to maintain the 1 or 2 spot in the rotation.LeGarrette Blount would be intriguing if the price is reasonable.

Saving my spot & subscribing to this thread. :towelwave:

I wounder if Brandon Jacobs might be an option at RB. It would take a pretty narrowly-overlapping set of circumstances to make it work, though -- he'd have to be willing to contribute in a platoon system after being toolish enough about that this year to drop his salary demands to league minimum. And he'd have to remain healthy and productive enough after (effectively) a year off to maintain the 1 or 2 spot in the rotation.

LeGarrette Blount would be intriguing if the price is reasonable.
No.

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan) — 93-7 The Fan Steelers insider and Post-Gazette writer Ed Bouchette joined The Fan Morning Show on Friday to look forward to the Steelers’ off-season.He felt that the Steelers have to be open to talking to grizzled veterans such as Troy Polamalu and James Harrison about adjusting their contracts so the team can deal with its big-time salary cap space issues.He also looked into the market value of free agent cornerback Keenan Lewis, noting that Lewis performed well, but took a while to get a starting job and didn’t grab an interception this season.
Listened to Ed Bouchette this morning on 93.7 and he was saying that James Harrison and Troy Polamalu are going to need to restructure their deals for the Steelers to get under the cap. No surprise there but he said it was also possible that either, but especially Harrison, could be asked to take a pay cut or be released. It would be hard to imagine either one of those guys playing on another team but the Steelers have shown they would rather get rid of a guy a year or two earlier than keeping them a year or two too late.He also felt the Steelers should make their best contract offer to Lewis before he becomes a FA rather than let the market determine his price.On the offense side he said the Steelers will likely not sign one of the higher profile RBs like Bradshaw or Bush but will take one early in the draft (probably not with their first pick). Yesterday Gerry Dulac was saying they could use their #1 pick on WR Kennan Allen to make up for the loss of Mike Wallace.

If they're going to sign a FA back, I like Chris Ivory. Should come relatively cheap, has proven he can be effective in the NFL and is only 24 with 256 career carries. For all intents and purposes, he's a second-year back (age/mileage wise) but with 3 training camps under his belt already. I'd much rather see them sign him on the cheap than draft a back in the 1st or 2nd round and pay him just as much.

More on Ivory : he's bigger (6', 225#) than Mendenhall (5' 11", 210#) has similar second-level speed (4.46 40-yd-dash at his Pro Day to 4.45 at the combine for Mendenhall) and despite the limited sample size we have to work with, has been VERY effective when given opportunities. Among backs with 250+ carries over the last 3 years, Ivory, C.J. Spiller, A. Peterson, and Jamaal Charles are the only 4 that have averaged over 5 yards per carry. And among that group, 22% of Spiller's carries have resulted in first downs, Peterson is at 24%, Charles 25%, and Ivory 28%.Not saying he belongs in a group with those guys at the moment, but these numbers bear out that at the very least, the upside is there if the guy can handle 250-300 carries per year. If he's willing to sign for a reasonable price, I'd be willing to give him a shot and use the early draft picks for secondary, OLB, or NT help.

my gut says that the steelers will not draft a RB in the first three rounds, and instead roll with a good free agent acquisition (big fan of Chris Ivory, myself, too), and maybe a later second-day drafted RB. for whatever reason, the steelers seem to do well enough with less than marquee names at the RB position. maybe it is a league wide trend, just because there are so many serviceable RBs and we are in the age of the WRs.

For the first time in forever, you will not hear me clamoring for a lineman in this year's draft. At least not early.

For the first time in forever, you will not hear me clamoring for a lineman in this year's draft. At least not early.
First time since I've been posting here, that's for sure.I have, however, seen Chance Warmack dropping to the Steelers pick in some mocks, if he's around, I wouldn't cry if they took him. They would have the makings of a completely dominant line.

All of this talk of RB and not one mention of Stephen Jackson. I am assuming you all think he'd just cost way to much to even consider as an option?

All of this talk of RB and not one mention of Stephen Jackson. I am assuming you all think he'd just cost way to much to even consider as an option?
I'd rather have Ivory, he's younger, will be cheaper, and has more upside. I love Jackson, don't get me wrong, but he's going to command too much money and is a short-term option at best. Guy's got a lot of miles on him.Ivory career carries : 256SJax career carries : 2,395Jackson leads all active NFL players in rushing attempts by over 400 carries. He's currently #28 on the all-time rushing attempts list and with an average workload this upcoming season will move up to #16 all-time.

More on Ivory : he's bigger (6', 225#) than Mendenhall (5' 11", 210#) has similar second-level speed (4.46 40-yd-dash at his Pro Day to 4.45 at the combine for Mendenhall) and despite the limited sample size we have to work with, has been VERY effective when given opportunities. Among backs with 250+ carries over the last 3 years, Ivory, C.J. Spiller, A. Peterson, and Jamaal Charles are the only 4 that have averaged over 5 yards per carry. And among that group, 22% of Spiller's carries have resulted in first downs, Peterson is at 24%, Charles 25%, and Ivory 28%.Not saying he belongs in a group with those guys at the moment, but these numbers bear out that at the very least, the upside is there if the guy can handle 250-300 carries per year. If he's willing to sign for a reasonable price, I'd be willing to give him a shot and use the early draft picks for secondary, OLB, or NT help.
I like Ivory as well, but so far this guy can't stay healthy even as part of a 3-4 rb rotation.

@Gil_Brandt: In 2011, 1st 30 picks in 1st round of #NFLDraft became starters. Only @Steelers (Heyward) and @Packers(Sherrod) failed to yield starter.

Users who are viewing this thread