What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

★ Darrelle Revis - Released by Jets. Soon to be Safety? (2 Viewers)

BigSteelThrill

Footballguy
Source: Jets to shop Darrelle RevisPessimistic about his chances of re-signing Darrelle Revis before he becomes a free agent next year, New York Jets owner Woody Johnson is open to trading the star cornerback, a person familiar with Johnson's thinking said Wednesday night.Revis' contract will void after the 2013 season, and there is a clause in the deal that prohibits the Jets from using the franchise tag.If they don't sign Revis to an extension, the Jets could lose him as a free agent.By following the money, it is not a surprise that the Jets may consider shopping star cornerback Darrelle Revis this offseason, writes James Walker.The fact that Revis is just three months removed from major knee surgery complicates the matter. There also are salary-cap ramifications that could hinder a potential trade.Johnson has "no confidence" in the Jets' ability to re-sign Revis, the person familiar with his thinking said. Despite the knee injury, he could seek more than $16 million per year, which could be prohibitive for the cap-strapped Jets. They're already $19.4 million over the 2013 salary cap.Revis is due to make $6 million in 2013, including $3 million in base pay and the rest in various bonus money.The Jets could gauge interest around the league, hoping to receive fair-market value for Revis. But that will be difficult, considering the nature of his injury and his steep contract demands.CBSSports.com first reported that Johnson wants to explore a possible trade involving Revis.The development came on the eve of John Idzik's formal introduction as the Jets' new general manager. The former Seattle Seahawks executive has the final say on personnel matters, and the Revis showdown looms as one of the most pressing items on his offseason agenda.The Jets consider Revis one of the best players in team history, but they've previously engaged in two acrimonious negotiations with his agents.Revis sat out the 2010 preseason in a contract dispute, eventually signing what was described as a short-term, "Band-Aid" deal. It was a one-year extension to the remaining three years -- a total of $46 million.Coming off a 6-10 season, the Jets need to replenish their roster and solve their salary-cap issues. Johnson may see Revis as a bargaining chip that could accomplish those goals.Despite his contract issues, Revis never has expressed a desire to play elsewhere."I definitely want to be here," Revis said the day after the season. "This is where I live, this is the team I got drafted by."In recent days, however, Johnson has talked privately about life without Revis, expressing concern about what it would cost to keep him.
Wonder what the going rate would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be interesting to watch. He was a shutdown corner for several years. Is he considered one now, injuries-and-all? I would expect that he would still command a decent amount intrade value, but will teams consider it? Unless they can sign him to an extension and not risk losing him after 2013, yes. But he will likely still want top $$. Will a team bewilling to still do that?

Really sucks, but its probably the best thing for the franchise. With the way the NFL is today (tons of passing options all over the field) a stud CB isn't worth what Revis is going to ask for (at least not on a re-building team) Gotta blame Tannenbuam on this one. His contracts put the Jets in a situation where it will be impossible to win a bidding war to keep Revis. Their cap situation also makes it pretty impossible to sign him to an extension this year.Best player the franchise has ever had is going to walk (in his prime) while Sanchez and Holmes rake in a combined 25.3 Million this year. :wall:I have no idea what they're going to be able to get for him. He's probably worth multiple first rounders plus a couple of a mid-round picks to a team looking to get over the hump, but I have a really ####ty feeling that the Jets are going to get bullied into taking something much less (maybe a 1 and a 4). They have no leverage here at all.

Not concerned about the knee, but any team trading for him really needs to lock him into a deal so he doesn't hold out again every other year when he hits a low salary year like he did in New York.

The Jets don't want to commit a ton of money to a player coming off of major knee surgery who they're not certain will return to form... Not sure why any other team would want to either.

I'll be surprised if a trade happens, I can't imagine he'll sign a favorable extension with the acquiring team so the Jets likely won't get an offer that they'll be happy with. If they do move him it'll probably be for peanuts (3rd rounder at best?) and to a championship caliber team (NE, DEN, ATL?) who would only be counting on him for 2013.

The Jets don't want to commit a ton of money to a player coming off of major knee surgery who they're not certain will return to form... Not sure why any other team would want to either.

I'll be surprised if a trade happens, I can't imagine he'll sign a favorable extension with the acquiring team so the Jets likely won't get an offer that they'll be happy with. If they do move him it'll probably be for peanuts (3rd rounder at best?) and to a championship caliber team (NE, DEN, ATL?) who would only be counting on him for 2013.
I think they could get more than a 3rd. Premium position, arguably the best player at his position, people recover from this injury with better success rates than before...just need to find a team with cap space, need, and a want to pony up for Revis.

if they get a load of picks for him then do it, the guy is great but comes with a bad attitude. He demands and holds out for a new contract every 2 yrs and will surely holdout again before hes 30.

I seem to recall the Jets not wanting to invest in Jonathan Vilma after knee reconstruction. Aside from the bounty BS, looks like they were wrong to err on the side of caution. Not that I could run a team better, but maybe invest in a new team doctor and evaluation staff before making big moves like this?

Not concerned about the knee, but any team trading for him really needs to lock him into a deal so he doesn't hold out again every other year when he hits a low salary year like he did in New York.
Revis held out with THREE years left on his rookie deal. There is no contract that is safe for this guy.

Will never happen, but would LOVE for Haslem and the new front office to make a splash in trading for this guy. Can't imagine Haden and Revis in the same defensive backfield. :drools:

I seem to recall the Jets not wanting to invest in Jonathan Vilma after knee reconstruction. Aside from the bounty BS, looks like they were wrong to err on the side of caution. Not that I could run a team better, but maybe invest in a new team doctor and evaluation staff before making big moves like this?
The Jets didn't want to keep Vilma because he was a bad fit for the 3-4 defense that they were moving to. He was an elite 4-3 LB his first few years in the league, (since he was very good in space and had above average closing speed). but his relative lack of strength and inability to shed blocks was exposed once he moved to ILB.

wow....the Jets are already over the cap by $19 mill for next year and essentially they need help all over the roster....who is sucking up all the money? They have a couple good players and they're looking to deal their best one....

Revis held out with THREE years left on his rookie deal. There is no contract that is safe for this guy.
IIRC he holds out whenever he has a lower annual salary year coming, whoever signs him can't give him one of those deals. Make sure he is making $ each year, at least until the team wants the option of moving on anyway.

Will never happen, but would LOVE for Haslem and the new front office to make a splash in trading for this guy. Can't imagine Haden and Revis in the same defensive backfield. :drools:
If we had a 2nd round pick I'd consider it a possibility, don't though so I think it'd be difficult. Can't trade the 1, a 3 (plus) won't be enough. Have the cap room and adding Revis would make this defense borderline unfair.

Detriot should be interested. They could then use their 1st round pick on a DE or OT.
detroit has no cap room
There is usually away to squeeze a player under the cap. They could always offer Titus Young Sr. as part of the deal. I am sure he will love playing with the Jets QBs. :sarcasm:
well I think that Stafford has to restructure already, Suh's deal is coming up soon. Im sure about 31 teams would love him but revis island comes with injury concerns and fitting him under the cap will be a big issue

wow....the Jets are already over the cap by $19 mill for next year and essentially they need help all over the roster....who is sucking up all the money? They have a couple good players and they're looking to deal their best one....
they'll clear a lot of space by cutting dead weight. Jason Smith alone saves 12 million. I believe Scott and pace are like 8 million each.

I think they could get more than a 3rd. Premium position, arguably the best player at his position, people recover from this injury with better success rates than before...just need to find a team with cap space, need, and a want to pony up for Revis.
They might get more than a third, but I don't think it'll be much more – which is why I doubt he gets traded. Just don't see anyone wanting to commit that kind of money to a guy coming off the injury, let alone give up valuable picks/players to get him.The Jets are prepared to bail on him for a reason, it's not just the money. They know they have a premium asset that will likely be less premium when he comes back... They're trying to cash in their chips while they can, but if they're expecting anything near value for him I think they're going to be disappointed.

They might get more than a third, but I don't think it'll be much more – which is why I doubt he gets traded. Just don't see anyone wanting to commit that kind of money to a guy coming off the injury, let alone give up valuable picks/players to get him.The Jets are prepared to bail on him for a reason, it's not just the money. They know they have a premium asset that will likely be less premium when he comes back... They're trying to cash in their chips while they can, but if they're expecting anything near value for him I think they're going to be disappointed.
Great posts above. I don't think there's any way the NYJ gets anywhere near what they're looking for. The injuries, knee and cap hit are not a big deal by themselves individually but, when you add up all three, you have a big problem.

I agree. A team that trades for him might just do it on his current 1 year deal and wait and see how his rehab is going before deciding to do an extension. It might be the only safe way to do it.

A "simple" ACL tear for a corner back isn't really a concern. It happened early in the season and he's already running on it. The Jets are only considering moving him because they will not be able to resign him and they will be terrible next season with or without him.The injury probably hurts the Jets leverage but it will not scare off anyone.

No. They traded Vilma because the team swicthed to a 3-4 defensive scheme and he struggled in it - he's a true 4-3 MLB.

Great posts above. I don't think there's any way the NYJ gets anywhere near what they're looking for. The injuries, knee and cap hit are not a big deal by themselves individually but, when you add up all three, you have a big problem.
Aren't the knee and the injuries the same?

This guy is like an extra defender on the field, completely different than 99% of defenders in the league. He has a bigger impact on the game than arguably anyone coming out in the draft this year. His financial commitment (against the cap) and age will lower his price some, but a value less than a late 1? No, nor should it.And I don't put too much stock into the reasons the Jets make decisions, the only thing consistent about it is their inconsistency. Given the success rate of players returning from ACL tears lately I'm much less concerned about returning full strength than I was a few years ago.

Only legit reason to be worried about bringing him in is financial...and not from the paying him standpoint, but from a future holdout standpoint. He's worth every penny when he's out there.

Really sucks, but its probably the best thing for the franchise. With the way the NFL is today (tons of passing options all over the field) a stud CB isn't worth what Revis is going to ask for (at least not on a re-building team)

Gotta blame Tannenbuam on this one. His contracts put the Jets in a situation where it will be impossible to win a bidding war to keep Revis. Their cap situation also makes it pretty impossible to sign him to an extension this year.

Best player the franchise has ever had is going to walk (in his prime) while Sanchez and Holmes rake in a combined 25.3 Million this year. :wall:

I have no idea what they're going to be able to get for him. He's probably worth multiple first rounders plus a couple of a mid-round picks to a team looking to get over the hump, but I have a really ####ty feeling that the Jets are going to get bullied into taking something much less (maybe a 1 and a 4). They have no leverage here at all.
Not even close. You think he's worth MULTIPLE first rounders PLUS a couple of mid-rounders when they also have to give him a huge contract extension? This is a CB coming off a majory injury who only has 1 year left with the NYJ...they can't even Franchise Tag him next season.I agree with your 1 and a 4 for him though, that sounds about right.

Really sucks, but its probably the best thing for the franchise. With the way the NFL is today (tons of passing options all over the field) a stud CB isn't worth what Revis is going to ask for (at least not on a re-building team)

Gotta blame Tannenbuam on this one. His contracts put the Jets in a situation where it will be impossible to win a bidding war to keep Revis. Their cap situation also makes it pretty impossible to sign him to an extension this year.

Best player the franchise has ever had is going to walk (in his prime) while Sanchez and Holmes rake in a combined 25.3 Million this year. :wall:

I have no idea what they're going to be able to get for him. He's probably worth multiple first rounders plus a couple of a mid-round picks to a team looking to get over the hump, but I have a really ####ty feeling that the Jets are going to get bullied into taking something much less (maybe a 1 and a 4). They have no leverage here at all.
Not even close. You think he's worth MULTIPLE first rounders PLUS a couple of mid-rounders when they also have to give him a huge contract extension? This is a CB coming off a majory injury who only has 1 year left with the NYJ...they can't even Franchise Tag him next season.I agree with your 1 and a 4 for him though, that sounds about right.
These kinds of trades just don't happen in the NFL. Revis isn't going anywhere. No team is giving up a first rounder plus a huge contract to the healthiest CB in the league, let alone one coming off major knee surgery. Nothing to see here.

Acl injuries mean almost nothing now. Revis will be the same elite player he's always been. If all the jets can get is one draft pick, (even a 1) I'd rather they just close up shop so I can get on with my life. He's one of the top 5 defensive players in the league and he's in his prime. I get that he's not a qb, but he's worth multiple high picks.

they'll clear a lot of space by cutting dead weight. Jason Smith alone saves 12 million. I believe Scott and pace are like 8 million each.
yeah, looks like you nailed it -- those 3 guys = 27m in savings if straight up cut.jason smith, in particular, is apparently due an $11m roster bonus.edit: of course, if cutting those 3 guys only puts them 7m under, they've got a lot of work to do.

IMHO, Revis has more value than all but a few players in the league. I still think it nay be hard for the Jets to get a 1st, much less a 1st+

yeah, looks like you nailed it -- those 3 guys = 27m in savings if straight up cut.jason smith, in particular, is apparently due an $11m roster bonus.

edit: of course, if cutting those 3 guys only puts them 7m under, they've got a lot of work to do.
Surely. On top of only being $7MM under the cap after cutting those guys they only have 11 starters from last season currently under contract (and one of them is Mark Sanchez :cry: ).Notable FAs:

Matt Slausen and Brandon Moore (neither are oustanding OGs, but both are solid and the team has little depth behind them)

Dustin Keller (arguably their best weapon in the passing game)

Shonn Green (easily replaceable)

LeRon Landry (had a very solid season for the team and likely priced himself out of being retained)

Mike DeVito (workman like lineman that maybe can be brought back cheaply)

Trading Revis makes sense if they can get a late first round/early second round pick since they evry likely can not afford to keep him after this season. There's a lot of holes that need to be filled and rookies can fill them much more econimically - which is obviously a concern to a team that is cap strapped.

I'm far from a cap expert, but I have to believe there's some way to lower David harris' cap number. He's a good player, but 13 mil for a ILB is absurd

I'm far from a cap expert, but I have to believe there's some way to lower David harris' cap number. He's a good player, but 13 mil for a ILB is absurd
there's always ways to lower it.I'm copying this from rotoworld

8/2/2011: Signed a four-year, $36 million contract. The deal contains $29.5 million guaranteed, including an $8 million signing bonus. Another $5 million is available via an escalator. 2013: $10.9 million, 2014: $4.9 million, 2015: Free Agent

the way it works is that the 8m signing bonus gets prorated over the 4 yr contract for a hit of 2m/yr + his 2013 salary of 11m = 13m.

the standard approach is to take the 11m in salary, give him, say, 10m of that right now as a desperation bonus, and extend him out 4 yrs (let's say).

so, that 10m now gets prorated over the extension, and you end up with a cap hit of the remaining 1m in salary, plus the prorated chunk of the 10m, and a couple mil from the original signing bonus -- so, maybe you knock it down to 5-6m from 13m.

he'll generally do this because he's getting 10m up front, but you still have to work out an extension, be willing to pay out 10m in cash today, and this is all assuming you aren't kicking in more cash as as another signing bonus on the extension.

edit: so,if they cut 3 guys, and are able to restructure/extend 3 others, they can maybe get to around ~20m under pretty quick.

but that's handing out a lot of cash --- isn't there some kind of cash cap in the new cba?

also, bell is gone, too, right?

there's always ways to lower it.I'm copying this from rotoworld

8/2/2011: Signed a four-year, $36 million contract. The deal contains $29.5 million guaranteed, including an $8 million signing bonus. Another $5 million is available via an escalator. 2013: $10.9 million, 2014: $4.9 million, 2015: Free Agent

the way it works is that the 8m signing bonus gets prorated over the 4 yr contract for a hit of 2m/yr + his 2013 salary of 11m = 13m.

the standard approach is to take the 11m in salary, give him, say, 10m of that right now as a desperation bonus, and extend him out 4 yrs (let's say).

so, that 10m now gets prorated over the extension, and you end up with a cap hit of the remaining 1m in salary, plus the prorated chunk of the 10m, and a couple mil from the original signing bonus -- so, maybe you knock it down to 5-6m from 13m.

he'll generally do this because he's getting 10m up front, but you still have to work out an extension, be willing to pay out 10m in cash today, and this is all assuming you aren't kicking in more cash as as another signing bonus on the extension.
Harris is 31-32 and slowing down quite a bit. Their team is going to be terrible next season so they're better off letting him eat up the cap space next season and letting his contract run it's course. In 2014 it's manageable and then let him walk in 2015.If they play their cards right - in 2014 they will be in much better shape. Hopefully the new GM is allowed to play it smartly rather than gviing in to Rex' desire to save his job by fielding a "good" team next season.

Aren't the knee and the injuries the same?
DOH!That should have said : The hold outs, knee and cap hit are not a big deal by themselves individually but, when you add up all three, you have a big problem.

The Jets didn't want to keep Vilma because he was a bad fit for the 3-4 defense that they were moving to. He was an elite 4-3 LB his first few years in the league, (since he was very good in space and had above average closing speed). but his relative lack of strength and inability to shed blocks was exposed once he moved to ILB.
When Vilma went down Harris blew up

Users who are viewing this thread