BigSteelThrill

★ Darrelle Revis - Released by Jets. Soon to be Safety?

1,188 posts in this topic

lol - Just like Mevis treated the Jets with class holding out for every dollar he could make - sorry it goes both ways....

3 people like this

37 minutes ago, Kiddnets said:

lol - Just like Mevis treated the Jets with class holding out for every dollar he could make - sorry it goes both ways....

Yep, absolute :lol: 

And isn't he getting torched by just about every receiver he is lined up aginst these days?

40 minutes ago, Kiddnets said:

If I were the Jets, I might have cut him already, on principle.  Does he not recognize the irony of what he said?

2 people like this

Seriously.....#### this guy. The Jets owe him nothing. Held the franchise hostage multiple times.

When you act like a mercenary,  you get rightfully cast aside when you can't play anymore. And it's not just a decline in ability,  it's effort as well. Doesn't even try to tackle anymore.

Good riddance 

3 people like this

Agree with everybody in here. Goodbye.

"Would I love to be here? Yes," Revis told the New York Post. "Will I be back? That's a great question. My thing would be this: Do the New York Jets want to treat my situation with class or no class? With me being one of the best players in the history of this franchise, do they want me to retire here or not retire here?

"That's the biggest question. It's black and white. It's not very complicated."

Yeah, it's not complicated at all. Revis played the business side as well as anyone has. He made himself a ton of money and won a ring in the process. But he sucks now, and if he wants to retire a Jet, I'm certain that the Jets would love for him to retire after this year. If he doesn't retire a Jet, it's solely because he chose to chase more money.

To pretend that any team or fans owe him even a bit of loyalty is a joke. A mercenary can't pretend to have friends.

22 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

This board's quote function now is so dumb.

Awful. Like Revis this year.

No way I'm trusting this guy not to get beat deep. But in the Redzone, Revis would still be my guy.

Play to his talent. Duh.

Edited by The Busy The Tired

Well...he certainly is keeping his robbery streak alive.  Last year, he robbed the Jets...this year, some dude's cell phone.

He's being charged with 4 felonies. Wow.

On 12/30/2016 at 1:20 PM, Faust said:

"Would I love to be here? Yes," Revis told the New York Post. "Will I be back? That's a great question. My thing would be this: Do the New York Jets want to treat my situation with class or no class? With me being one of the best players in the history of this franchise, do they want me to retire here or not retire here?

Because he used to be one of your best players, pay the man elite corner money to play safety ... to the old guy that doesn't like to tackle.

Sometimes there is more to it than building the best team possible. It's about being classy. Unlike that classless team in NE ....they don't get it.

Revis probably freaked out when he saw 2 guys jogging 7 yards behind him. That's usually his job

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

He's being charged with 4 felonies. Wow.

Typical police over-charging procedure.  It's easier to bargain down to something realistic when you start off higher than any reasonable person would expect. IMO, robbery is way off base--in order to be a robbery, there has to be a theft or attempted theft.  Theft requires taking property with an "intent to deprive" the owner thereof.  Grabbing a cell phone and tossing it aside doesn't seem to me to be an intent to deprive the owner of his property. Conspiracy?  Where's an agreement with another person to commit a crime? Nothing the police say supports that.

Edited by apalmer

Revis' biggest mistake here was being in the South Side at 2:30AM.  This was probably only one of a half dozen or so incidents that night.  Pittsburgh fan boys with beer muscles are the worst.

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Sounds to me like Revis was the victim in this.

That was the consensus on the morning sports talk shows.

That ship has sailed, from Revis Island to Rikers Island. 

Edited by medstudent

anymore when you're threatened and you beat someone unconscious you're going to be the bad guy regardless

gotta love the liberal world we live in that defending yourself is a crime

1 person likes this

Regardless of if Revis is in the right or not....this is a serious issue and distraction that is not going away for a while.....Jets can save $9M by cutting him.....the question was whether it was worth keeping Revis around for the $6M to see if he could play safety, a position which he has never played.  Now the question is both that and why have such a distraction for an overplayed player learning a new position.

Jets should have moved on before this incident - now its a no brainer.  

Darrelle Revis hinted that he'd be willing to take a pay cut to stay with the Jets.

Interacting with fans on Instagram, Revis admitted he no longer deserves top-10 cornerback money. Now facing multiple charges for his alleged role in a Pittsburgh brawl, the Jets may simply move on regardless of how big of a pay cut he's willing to take. If Revis' career continues, there's a good chance he'll have to convert to safety after losing his vertical speed last season.

Source: ESPN.com
Feb 26 - 9:21 AM

Jets released CB Darrelle Revis.

Signed to a "five-year, $70 million" contract in March 2015, Revis returned to New York as a conquering hero, and turned in a solid 2015. Things have been very Jets-y since, with Revis' play falling off a cliff last season before a February arrest on felony assault charges. The move creates $7.33 million in cap space, but leaves behind a whopping $8 million in dead money. With his legs seemingly toast, the former fiercest corner in the league might have to convert to safety in his age-32 season. That's if he doesn't retire.
Related: Jets

Feb 28 - 7:59 PM

I hear that Revis stands to make $6m this year regardless of if he plays.

I can't imagine too many teams willing to pay him much more than that to play.

Not sure how it works ....

> if he signs with another team Is NY off the hook for the $6m they owe him as his new team would pay his full salary?

> or does his new team just pay the difference of his new salary less what NYJ are paying him? This would mean his new team is only on the hook for $1m or $2m a year should he sign for $7m or $8m.

> Does his new team pay him in addition to what NYJ owe him? So he would get his new $7m a year deal PLUS the $6m the NYJ owe him.

:shrug:

38 minutes ago, Bossman said:

> if he signs with another team Is NY off the hook for the $6m they owe him as his new team would pay his full salary?

> or does his new team just pay the difference of his new salary less what NYJ are paying him? This would mean his new team is only on the hook for $1m or $2m a year should he sign for $7m or $8m.

> Does his new team pay him in addition to what NYJ owe him? So he would get his new $7m a year deal PLUS the $6m the NYJ owe him.

I read it was this part:

He can sign for whatever he wants, but the Jets can deduct up to $6 mill whatever he is paid in regard to the cap.

The fact that he is facing suspension, looks old and disinterested, I'm not sure the Jets are gonna recoup much

2 hours ago, Bossman said:

Only if there is "offset" language in the contract he signed, and that's unlikely with a player of Revis' caliber (at the time this contract was signed).  Offset clauses remove the opportunity for players to double-dip, getting paid guaranteed money left from a previous contract as well as a salary with the new team.  It's usually offered to risky draft picks - Justin Blackmon had a lot of offset money in his rookie deal.

New team pays him whatever they agree to, and Jets pay him what he's owed in guarantees unless there's offset language.

Last I saw, the Jets were going to try to withhold pay out of the guaranteed $6 million by invoking a conduct detrimental to the team clause which would void his contract. Not sure if that is still a working theory for them or not. 

I did hear that his Jets contract has the salary offset language which means the Jets would be off the hook for whatever Revis is paid by his new team.

... so if you are Revis, do you want to put your body thru the grind of a training camp and full season of practices / games when you can sit out the season and make $6m?

... now lets say some team thinks that they can resurect Revis Island ... or convert him to safety. They would need to pay Revis $8m just so he would be willing to get off the couch. Revis would stand to make an extra $2m to play this season. Would that be worth it for him?

... and I don't think anyone is willing to pay Revis $8m. Maybe the Browns? A team could land a very good CB or top S for that kind of money. 

I don't see a scenario where he plays this season.