BigSteelThrill

★ Darrelle Revis - Released by Jets. Soon to be Safety?

1,184 posts in this topic

I hope he goes nowhere, he's been awesome to watch game in and game out and I really want the new gm to work out a long term contract, i can only imagine the lack of a franchise tag is the reason for this rumor...Another fine job by Tanny

Tanny takes a lot of heat, but Rex had just as much input on these decisions as Tanny. And while you could say "Tannenbaum was the GM, it's his call", that's fine, but the fact is the Jets were in a narrow window and Tannenbaum mortgaged the future to try to win a Super Bowl. That's a defensible strategy, and perhaps Rex failed the team by not getting them there. The Jets made back to back AFCCGs but couldn't get over the hump (the one obvious place to blame Tannenbaum is the Sanchez pick). But trader Mike brought in people like Cromartie, Holmes, Revis, Harris, and put the Jets in position to go to a SB. It ended up not working out.With Revis, they basically won the holdout with him but the concession was made that they wouldn't franchise him if he reported in '10. Again, they nearly made the SB, so I can't say that was a bad move. And Houston lost Mario Williams and Chicago lost Peppers for nothing, so this sort of stuff happens.I think the Jets are just as likely to trade Cromartie as they are Revis. But the big thing is the Jets need to trade someone. They have way too many holes to fill without stacking the deck. This is a two-year rebuilding project, at a minimum.When you think to 2014, the Jets have only four players that I would say are more likely than not to be starters/key contributors: Mangold, Ferguson, Hill, and Kerley. That's it. On defense, it's just as bleak: Coples, Wilkerson, and Harris (if he isn't cut). Sure, a bunch of teams live year to year, but on the Jets, the cupboard is just really bare. They need draft picks because they sure haven't developed the ones they've made. Had players like Ducasse, Ellis, Kyle Wilson, Sanchez, and any of the running backs they've drafted worked out, the situation wouldn't be so bad. But considering the huge hole at quarterback and everywhere else, I can't really argue against trading Revis or Cromartie.
I agree the cupboard is bare, but Revis is on of the best players the franchise has had, from a pure football watching perspective, me as a Fan do not want to see this guy on another team, he is amazing to watch game in game out.I get it about the superbowl window, but as GM Tanny has used this "No Franchise" tag as a weapon of mass destruction. He used it again with Landry this off season when they signed him to a one year deal. The leverage is gone with Revis, in normal circumstances you can at least figure you can negotiate a contract or franchise him. Taking that away from the GM and teams tool aresenal was just bad football management. As much as I would like to Blame Rex for another thing, I can't pin contract strategy on him, this one is all Tanny.I hope this is a smoke screen and they choose to unload Cromartie instead based off his excellent year. Im not sure if he wouldnt bring the same amount due to the injury concerns of Revis.I know the team has a ton of work to do, but I just dont want to see this guy in another uniform.

The Eagles need to trade for him so he can be exposed for the fraud he is!

Mike Tannenbaum can simply be hired. The Eagles need not trade for him.

I'm really not sure why his availability was leaked/in the news. The Jets are backed into a corner with some roster decisions and with an incoming GM, all of the leverage is on Revis's side.

well, the media is 90% anti-jet right now, so its not beyond them to "invent" a leak to create a good tabloid story...

Is anyone buying this rubbish? http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130789/article/darrelle-revisnew-york-jets-trade-talk-heating-upI seriously doubt the Packers are "highly interested" (or even remotely interested) in making a move for Revis. Hayward performed at an all-pro level last year, House was improving significantly before his injury, and Shields has been serviceable.I would be pissed if the Packers gave up a first rounder and a huge contract to bring in a guy fresh off an ACL tear. That money needs to go to locking up Matthews and an extension for Rodgers. The first round pick could be used on a cheap contract for talented young lineman, either OL or DL. The issue on the defense is still the pass rush and athletic linebackers, not coverage.

Edited by meyerj31

49ers are said to be suitors. Perhaps their #1 and Alex Smith for Revis?

Edited by netnalp

According to Rotoworld, the Pats, Broncos, 49er's, Seahawks, Packers & Bills are all early suitors in what is shaping up to be "one of the biggest potential trade markets for a player ever".

So if that's true, looks like I was right in that he'd land with a contender and WAY off on what kind of interest he'd get coming off the ACL. Should be interesting to see what happens. Biggest story of the offseason hands down.

According to Rotoworld, the Pats, Broncos, 49er's, Seahawks, Packers & Bills are all early suitors in what is shaping up to be "one of the biggest potential trade markets for a player ever".

So if that's true, looks like I was right in that he'd land with a contender and WAY off on what kind of interest he'd get coming off the ACL. Should be interesting to see what happens. Biggest story of the offseason hands down.

Rubbish. They're just trying to drum up interest to raise the asking price. I still contend that not one of those teams will give up a first-round pick AND a huge contract for him. Certainly not the Packers.

maybe its a smokescreen for cromartie being traded instead...

Detriot should be interested. They could then use their 1st round pick on a DE or OT.

Detroit is cap strapped. They can't afford Revis or the draft picks it would take to get him.

$9ers are said to be suitors. Perhaps their #1 and Alex Smith for Revis?

Oooh I like this. But who's the odd man out - Brown, Rogers or Culliver? Edited by Wingnut

$9ers are said to be suitors. Perhaps their #1 and Alex Smith for Revis?

Oooh I like this. But who's the odd man out - Brown, Rogers or Culliver?
I'd think Rogers. He'll be 32 in July. Revis turns 28 in July. Rogers has some trade value still if not cut. Gaining Revis and losing Smith and Rogers looks like it would free up $1 million in cap for the 49ers.

I don't understand all the negativity toward Revis. What 2 rookies would you rather have? I would be thrilled if my team spent a first and a pricey contract to bring him in.

Edited by LuckyOne

Speculation with Denver media that Denver might give up Dumervil for Revis. Seems like a relatively fair deal

Speculation with Denver media that Denver might give up Dumervil for Revis. Seems like a relatively fair deal

Not for Dumervil

Detriot should be interested. They could then use their 1st round pick on a DE or OT.

Detroit is cap strapped. They can't afford Revis or the draft picks it would take to get him.
Soo 18 hours ago.

According to ESPN New York, Darrelle Revis is "believed" to be seeking $16 million annually and $60 million guaranteed on his next contract.

7/22/2010: Signed a six-year, $61.5 million contract. The deal contains $43.156 million guaranteed, including a $3 million signing bonus and Dumervil's first, second, and third years' base salaries. 2013: $12 million,

I don't understand all the negativity toward Revis. What 2 rookies would you rather have? I would be thrilled if my team spent a first and a pricey contract to bring him in.

There's no value in doing that. The salary cap is all about value.Taking the chances on one of the 32 most talented individuals in college (and really, the first round has a low complete bust rate) where you get a top player for $1-2M per year is a way better value than trading that pick for Revis and paying him $60M guaranteed. Even if he's 100% health that's not a good move. It's asinine with him coming off a major injury.I don't get how fans don't understand the salary cap and implications. Even people on so called "pro" boards don't get it. Edited by meyerj31

There's no value in doing that. The salary cap is all about value.Taking the chances on one of the 32 most talented individuals in college (and really, the first round has a low complete bust rate) where you get a top player for $1-2M per year is a way better value than trading that pick for Revis and paying him $60M guaranteed. Even if he's 100% health that's not a good move. It's asinine with him coming off a major injury.I don't get how fans don't understand the salary cap and implications. Even people on so called "pro" boards don't get it.
Many teams are in a very good cap situation. I don't know how fans don't understand that using that cap space for an elite player of Revis' caliber is necessary to build a great team. Even people on so called "pro" boards don't get it.

According to ESPN New York, Darrelle Revis is "believed" to be seeking $16 million annually and $60 million guaranteed on his next contract.

He's nuts. I could see him fetching $45 or $50 mil in guaranteed money, but $60 is crazy coming off knee surgery. There would only be a handful of teams who could realistically even pursue him at that price.

He's nuts. I could see him fetching $45 or $50 mil in guaranteed money, but $60 is crazy coming off knee surgery. There would only be a handful of teams who could realistically even pursue him at that price.
He only needs one team.

The only question I have in this thread is...how do you do that STAR thingy in the title? That's super cool.

There's no value in doing that. The salary cap is all about value.

Taking the chances on one of the 32 most talented individuals in college (and really, the first round has a low complete bust rate) where you get a top player for $1-2M per year is a way better value than trading that pick for Revis and paying him $60M guaranteed. Even if he's 100% health that's not a good move. It's asinine with him coming off a major injury.

I don't get how fans don't understand the salary cap and implications. Even people on so called "pro" boards don't get it.

Many teams are in a very good cap situation. I don't know how fans don't understand that using that cap space for an elite player of Revis' caliber is necessary to build a great team. Even people on so called "pro" boards don't get it.
The Pats have been to 5 super bowls over the past 10 years. What's the biggest free agent signing they have had? I doubt it is 20% of the number Revis is requesting.

The 49ers are one of the (if not the single) best all-around team in the league. How many massive free agent signings have they done in the past five years?

Your argument is grossly incorrect. I would venture to say that it is MORE likely a team will NOT win consistently and will have trouble with the cap making moves like that. Look at Buffalo's situation this year. Look at what Haynesworth did to the Skins. For every time it works out there are three that don't work out.

Edited by meyerj31

Taking the chances on one of the 32 most talented individuals in college (and really, the first round has a low complete bust rate) where you get a top player for $1-2M per year is a way better value than trading that pick for Revis and paying him $60M guaranteed. Even if he's 100% health that's not a good move. It's asinine with him coming off a major injury.

I don't get how fans don't understand the salary cap and implications. Even people on so called "pro" boards don't get it.

The Pats have been to 5 super bowls over the past 10 years. What's the biggest free agent signing they have had? I doubt it is 20% of the number Revis is requesting.
I'll say adalius thomas.

eta contract details

On March 3, 2007, Thomas signed a 5-year contract with the New England Patriots worth $35 million, including $20 million in guaranteed money.

Edited by Kool-Aid Larry

It doesn't matter how good Revis is. If he's not on the field from holding out every other year, he's on the sideline from injuries due to holding out. No way is he worth even a fraction of his asking price. Whoever ends up with him, will be regretting it.

The only question I have in this thread is...how do you do that STAR thingy in the title? That's super cool.

:D

Copy/paste

★ Darrelle Revis★★★★★★

Edited by =Smackdown=

The 49ers are one of the (if not the single) best all-around team in the league. How many massive free agent signings have they done in the past five years?

Your argument is grossly incorrect. I would venture to say that it is MORE likely a team will NOT win consistently and will have trouble with the cap making moves like that. Look at Buffalo's situation this year. Look at what Haynesworth did to the Skins. For every time it works out there are three that don't work out.

How about a more recent example of a SB winning team. The Giants basically gave the world (in picks & salary) to get Eli (an unproven rookie). By your logic, they should have have been frugal and stayed put. Instead, this storied franchise paid to get the guy that got them two trophies. Fact is teams need free agents and solid drafts to compete. GMs know that, which is why some team will pay to have Revis as a franchise player.

There's no value in doing that. The salary cap is all about value.Taking the chances on one of the 32 most talented individuals in college (and really, the first round has a low complete bust rate) where you get a top player for $1-2M per year is a way better value than trading that pick for Revis and paying him $60M guaranteed. Even if he's 100% health that's not a good move. It's asinine with him coming off a major injury.I don't get how fans don't understand the salary cap and implications. Even people on so called "pro" boards don't get it.
You're obviously the one who doesn't get it.You're the guy in my keeper league who kept Jamaal Charles at $65 this past offseason when he could have re-drafted him for less, aren't you? :lmao:It's all about getting a competitive advantage in the Salary Cap era, and paying top dollar/full value for a stud CB is only going to help so much. Most teams recognize that there's far better value and benefit for their team if they can buy low or draft a cheap rookie who can do almost as well as Revis.By your logic, Revis should cost teams 3+ 1st round picks because you're only looking at talent. Hint hint...the Jets would be asking for far less than that because they realize there's little or no value in trading for Revis and the mammoth contract he'll tie his new team into for years after coming off major surgery.This isn't Baseball, guy. Edited by Warrior

Your counterexample is a qb?Really?

Yes. Oh wait, you know Eli is a qb. Do you have anything to add to the discussion?

Yes - using a trade of first rounders as example in a free agency discussion is somewhat stupid and fairly pointless.Do you have something relevant to add?

Easy. Go back to this thread and cut and paste the ★ from it :)-QG

I'm just jumping in here and haven't read the whole thread, but remember when the Vikes traded their 1st for Jared Allen? Worked out pretty well I think. Would they have gotten anyone near the caliber of player had they kept the pick?

In summary, something worked at some point, and then at another time, some other thing didn't work. Case closed.