Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dewmass

Rookie Draft pick trade offer

9 posts in this topic

I have 1.04 and have been offered 3 2nds (1 mid, 2 late) a 3rd and a 4th. I have a strong team but the 1.04 is the only pick I have in the rookie draft. Whats the strategy on rookie drafts, is this a deal worth taking?

Someone with a trade calculator might disagree, but I wouldn't take the deal. You are giving up the 4th best player in the draft for a lot of mediocre picks (and that assumes you have the roster space to keep them all).Traditionally the 1.04 is the second tier of the rookie class, while a 2.06 is late third tier at best and probably fourth. Quite a drop off in potential talent from the 1.04 spot.Getting a bunch of picks is fine if you are in a rebuilding mode and are a very good judge of rookie talent. The problem is though, that you can end up with a bunch of nothing. Yes, you might still end up with nothing with the 1.04 but I imagine that in the worst case scenario you could trade the pick shortly before the draft for a fairly decent player if none of the rookies available at that juncture strike you.

Someone with a trade calculator might disagree, but I wouldn't take the deal. You are giving up the 4th best player in the draft for a lot of mediocre picks (and that assumes you have the roster space to keep them all).Traditionally the 1.04 is the second tier of the rookie class, while a 2.06 is late third tier at best and probably fourth. Quite a drop off in potential talent from the 1.04 spot.Getting a bunch of picks is fine if you are in a rebuilding mode and are a very good judge of rookie talent. The problem is though, that you can end up with a bunch of nothing. Yes, you might still end up with nothing with the 1.04 but I imagine that in the worst case scenario you could trade the pick shortly before the draft for a fairly decent player if none of the rookies available at that juncture strike you.

Thanks very much for that. It sums up what I was thinking myself but wanted the opinion of someone with more experience than me. The owner has offered that to everyone up to 1.09 so I'm sure someone at 1.08/09 will get a good deal but I felt like you that I'd end up with a load of nothing.I've just revoked a counter I made 0f 1.04 for 1.06 and 2.06 as well, as I think a whole tier of difference between 4th pick and 6th is worth me keeping.Thanks again, very helpful

Have you looked at this draft class yet? The difference between the 4th pick and 14th pick is not remotely CLOSE to as big as most years, or any other year really.Depending on if you have a developmental squad, I take the picks.If not, if you have smaller roster, of course keep pick 4

I would rather get a higher rated prospect at 1.04 than to have all those later picks and try to manage the roster spots tied up with those later pick gambles. I would just rather take the high pick and use those roster spots on someone else.

Someone with a trade calculator might disagree, but I wouldn't take the deal. You are giving up the 4th best player in the draft for a lot of mediocre picks (and that assumes you have the roster space to keep them all).

Traditionally the 1.04 is the second tier of the rookie class, while a 2.06 is late third tier at best and probably fourth. Quite a drop off in potential talent from the 1.04 spot.

Getting a bunch of picks is fine if you are in a rebuilding mode and are a very good judge of rookie talent. The problem is though, that you can end up with a bunch of nothing. Yes, you might still end up with nothing with the 1.04 but I imagine that in the worst case scenario you could trade the pick shortly before the draft for a fairly decent player if none of the rookies available at that juncture strike you.

Thanks very much for that. It sums up what I was thinking myself but wanted the opinion of someone with more experience than me. The owner has offered that to everyone up to 1.09 so I'm sure someone at 1.08/09 will get a good deal but I felt like you that I'd end up with a load of nothing.

I've just revoked a counter I made 0f 1.04 for 1.06 and 2.06 as well, as I think a whole tier of difference between 4th pick and 6th is worth me keeping.

Thanks again, very helpful

I don't see much difference between the 1.04 and 1.06 this year. Unless you are sold on a certain guy at 1.04 I think it's worth picking up the 2.06 to move down.

I have 1.04 and have been offered 3 2nds (1 mid, 2 late) a 3rd and a 4th. I have a strong team but the 1.04 is the only pick I have in the rookie draft. Whats the strategy on rookie drafts, is this a deal worth taking?

Wait. People will say it's a draft that unlike last year is not top heavy but is deep so in that respect if you believe it to be true it's better to make the trade. But players, guys like Doug Martin last year, who may be considered good but not top heavy kind of talent might emerge.So at a minimum I'd wait for the combine. Might be a few guys who pick up stock. Meanwhile you can start narrowing down your top 4 and top 6 and weighing how much of an impact it would be to drop back.Also if you wait it allows other owners to start falling in love with players. Thinking they are about to find the next young so and so. In my experience as the draft approaches the value of the picks increases as other owners become increasingly in love with prospects.If you can wait all the way until you are OTC even better because the most valuable pick of any draft is one that's OTC.

1.04 for me

thisno way I drop from the top 4 pick to the mid 2nd for a couple of extra 2ndsthey gotta throw in a 2014 1st and deals done