Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

matttyl

Been offered 5 2014 1st rounders for Rodgers

29 posts in this topic

My dynasty league trades future rookie draft picks like they are baseball cards. I've been hoarding 2014 1st round picks for 2 years now, I currently have 4 of them. Another owner came to me saying he can get 5 of the 6 remaining, and would trade me all of them for Aaron Rodgers. This would give me 9 of first 10 players off the board next year, with the only remaining one likely mid to late.My backup QB is Flacco or Tanny. I'd hate to lose Rodgers, but literally owning an entire first round might change my mind.

How many draft picks do you think you'll be able to roster? You can try to package the 2014 picks to upgrade other positions during the season, but you'll have little leverage when the other owners realize you'll have to cut legit assets to use your picks.

My dynasty league trades future rookie draft picks like they are baseball cards. I've been hoarding 2014 1st round picks for 2 years now, I currently have 4 of them. Another owner came to me saying he can get 5 of the 6 remaining, and would trade me all of them for Aaron Rodgers. This would give me 9 of first 10 players off the board next year, with the only remaining one likely mid to late.My backup QB is Flacco or Tanny. I'd hate to lose Rodgers, but literally owning an entire first round might change my mind.

How is your league when it comes to trading current rookie picks come draft time? If there is a market in a typical year, I would be inclined to take the 5 1sts to nail down the entire draft. With no one else being able to participate in the first round, there will be good demand for a pick (assuming a typical league's market for 1st rounders at draft time).

How many draft picks do you think you'll be able to roster? You can try to package the 2014 picks to upgrade other positions during the season, but you'll have little leverage when the other owners realize you'll have to cut legit assets to use your picks.

We have 3 practice squad slots, and I could likely roster 3 other rookies. I could trade off the rest at the draft for 2015 picks. This does allow me to roster one other player now as well, as Rodgers wouldn't be on my roster. I'd be rolling with Flacco and Tanny and Vick.

How is your league when it comes to trading current rookie picks come draft time? If there is a market in a typical year, I would be inclined to take the 5 1sts to nail down the entire draft. With no one else being able to participate in the first round, there will be good demand for a pick (assuming a typical league's market for 1st rounders at draft time).
That's kinda my thought as well. It's an odd 10 team league where 6 teams make the playoffs (2 get byes). So we're really only playing for weeks 14-16 assuming you have a half way decent team. Aside from Rodgers I also have Calvin, Ray Rice, Spiller, D Thomas, Nicks, V Jax and some solid IDPs including Watt and Suggs. I'm not worried about not making the playoffs. If I'd like some QB help next year (Flacco just isn't getting it done), I can trade something to get an older QB for the playoffs like Peyton or maybe Brady."Owning" the entire first round, though, would be epic! And from everything I've seen the 2014 rookies are going to be a great group (maybe not quite as good as the 2012s, though).

Do you think you can win it all next season? If so, don't do this.If you're anything else, even close but not confident you will win, do the deal. Those 2014 picks are money in the bank, and will reach peak value just before next years draft. Everyone will be drowning in hype, especially after what looks to be a poor 2013 class. I'm sure you can bring a few top quality players for the 2014 league.I'd say the attraction of this deal is the sell on value rather than actually drafting anyone from the class.

Do you think you can win it all next season? If so, don't do this.

I do think I can win it all, possibly even without Rodgers (I don't mean for that to sound cocky or anything). I won it all in 2009 and 2010, and in 2011 I went 13-0 in the regular and then lost week 15 in the playoffs (pure dumb luck, was 2nd in points for the week, happened to play the only guy who could beat me). This year I was 2nd in overall points for the regular season, but due to very crazy scheduling I was 6-7. I don't see that happening again. I honestly see my team as a 9-10 win team over our 13 week regular season...so it will all depend on if I get a bye, or who I'll play weeks 14-16.That said, even at 8 wins instead of 9-10 due to starting Flacco instead of Rodgers, I'll still make the playoffs and still have a shot at winning it all, but it will be based on pure luck of who I'm matched up against those 3 weeks. If I don't like what I see at that time from Flacco, I'll make a move to get another QB with great matchups those weeks, possibly with one of those nine 1st round picks I'd have.Of course best case scenario is winning it all AND having 9 of the first 10 picks in the following draft. That would be crazy.

Consider also that your hit rate on getting impact players with those picks is less than 50%. I only guessing here but I believe the goal of your league is to win championships.I think you can do better than 5 unknowns for Rodgers.

My dynasty league trades future rookie draft picks like they are baseball cards. I've been hoarding 2014 1st round picks for 2 years now, I currently have 4 of them. Another owner came to me saying he can get 5 of the 6 remaining, and would trade me all of them for Aaron Rodgers. This would give me 9 of first 10 players off the board next year, with the only remaining one likely mid to late.

My backup QB is Flacco or Tanny. I'd hate to lose Rodgers, but literally owning an entire first round might change my mind.

That's kinda my thought as well. It's an odd 10 team league where 6 teams make the playoffs (2 get byes). So we're really only playing for weeks 14-16 assuming you have a half way decent team. Aside from Rodgers I also have Calvin, Ray Rice, Spiller, D Thomas, Nicks, V Jax and some solid IDPs including Watt and Suggs. I'm not worried about not making the playoffs. If I'd like some QB help next year (Flacco just isn't getting it done), I can trade something to get an older QB for the playoffs like Peyton or maybe Brady.

"Owning" the entire first round, though, would be epic! And from everything I've seen the 2014 rookies are going to be a great group (maybe not quite as good as the 2012s, though).

You just confirmed by initial suspicions. How much of this is the novelty of cornering the first round vs. a sound decision? You already have 4 picks. How high are they? How many rookies can you work into your team?

You already have a solid team plus 4 picks. Why compromise that for a gimmick?

I would do it, 2014 looks decent talent wise and you'll be able to continue moving the picks for the future5 1sts is good haul for Rodgers

nope. bad idea. you can still make the same trade at this time next year. I wouldn't move rodgers for a bunch of "I won't be in the league in 3 years" players. you already own 4 picks. picking up 5 more is about novelty.

I think it is just a bad offer. I don't care about having to manage 9 draft picks in 2014. Give me the elite QB now and forget those extra picks.

Here are the first 10 picks of the last few years, just for consideration..2012Trent RichardsonRobert Griffin IIIDoug MartinDavid WilsonJustin BlackmonAndrew LuckMichael FloydKendall WrightIsiah PeadAlshon Jeffrey2011Mark IngramRyan WilliamsAJ GreenJulio JonesDaniel ThomasRoy HeluMichael LeshoureCam NewtonShane VereenGreg Little2010Ryan MatthewsCJ SpillerJahvid BestDez BryantBen TateMontarrio HardestyDemaryius ThomasSam BradfordToby GerhartGolden Tate2009Knowshon MorenoBeanie WellsDonald BrownMichael CrabtreeLeSean McCoyShonn GreenePercy HarvinHakeem NicksJeremy MaclinDarrius Heyward Bey

My dynasty league trades future rookie draft picks like they are baseball cards. I've been hoarding 2014 1st round picks for 2 years now, I currently have 4 of them. Another owner came to me saying he can get 5 of the 6 remaining, and would trade me all of them for Aaron Rodgers. This would give me 9 of first 10 players off the board next year, with the only remaining one likely mid to late.

My backup QB is Flacco or Tanny. I'd hate to lose Rodgers, but literally owning an entire first round might change my mind.

That's kinda my thought as well. It's an odd 10 team league where 6 teams make the playoffs (2 get byes). So we're really only playing for weeks 14-16 assuming you have a half way decent team. Aside from Rodgers I also have Calvin, Ray Rice, Spiller, D Thomas, Nicks, V Jax and some solid IDPs including Watt and Suggs. I'm not worried about not making the playoffs. If I'd like some QB help next year (Flacco just isn't getting it done), I can trade something to get an older QB for the playoffs like Peyton or maybe Brady.

"Owning" the entire first round, though, would be epic! And from everything I've seen the 2014 rookies are going to be a great group (maybe not quite as good as the 2012s, though).

You just confirmed by initial suspicions. How much of this is the novelty of cornering the first round vs. a sound decision? You already have 4 picks. How high are they? How many rookies can you work into your team?

You already have a solid team plus 4 picks. Why compromise that for a gimmick?

You won't be dismissing this as a gimmick if two of the 5 remaining picks take down the 1.1 and 1.2. Those two picks alone next year will be more valuable than one Aaron Rodgers. Taking down 9 out of the 10 to guaranty the top 6 is an insurance policy of sorts, a worthwhile one imo.

Here are the first 10 picks of the last few years, just for consideration..2012Trent RichardsonRobert Griffin IIIDoug MartinDavid WilsonJustin BlackmonAndrew LuckMichael FloydKendall WrightIsiah PeadAlshon Jeffrey2011Mark IngramRyan WilliamsAJ GreenJulio JonesDaniel ThomasRoy HeluMichael LeshoureCam NewtonShane VereenGreg Little2010Ryan MatthewsCJ SpillerJahvid BestDez BryantBen TateMontarrio HardestyDemaryius ThomasSam BradfordToby GerhartGolden Tate2009Knowshon MorenoBeanie WellsDonald BrownMichael CrabtreeLeSean McCoyShonn GreenePercy HarvinHakeem NicksJeremy MaclinDarrius Heyward Bey

Well, he already has HALF of the 1st round next year. I would strongly consider it. But go find a better QB from someone else first. Shouldnt be too hard in a 10 team leagues.I say make the deal, and then go get a guy ranked around 11 or 12 (which is still a very good QB right now) from a team who can spare their backup QB.

Well, he already has HALF of the 1st round next year. I would strongly consider it. But go find a better QB from someone else first. Shouldnt be too hard in a 10 team leagues.I say make the deal, and then go get a guy ranked around 11 or 12 (which is still a very good QB right now) from a team who can spare their backup QB.
That's what I'm thinking. I don't quite own half of the first round next year, but I do have 4 of the top 10. I image 3 of those pick will be decent, but you really don't know where a team will end up. One that I thought was a "bottom 3" team this year got very lucky on scheduling and ended up in the championship game. My team with the roster above due to horrible scheduling luck went 6-7. Because of that it's hard to say where the picks will end up, but if I had 9 of them it doesn't matter where any one of them ends up being, I'll have all the other ones around it. Worst case I end up with picks #2-10, but more than likely I'll have #1-6, and then 3 of the last 4 if I had to guess. I'd be "dropping" from Rodgers to Flacco...but I might have the ability to buy either Matt Ryan, Kaep, Wilson or Freeman as they are all rostered by the same team, and he's trying hard to sell one. If I can take 2 of the 5 picks I'm getting in the Rodgers deal and buy Ryan with it, it would be like trading Rodgers for Ryan a three 1sts next year.

Oh my god yeah, get Ryan, Kaepernick, or Wilson.Screw Freeman

The guy with all the QBs is really falling for the Kaepernick/Crabtree combo. Since Crab was a top 10 WR with Kaep, he's thinking that trend will continue, and he's pretty weak at WR (Wallace and Britt). He's very much considering trading me Ryan for Crabtree straight up and then rolling with Kaepernick and Crab as weekly starters.Crabtree in theory is my #5 WR behind Calvin, D Thomas, V Jax and Nicks. I still have Josh Gordon as well for "depth"."Downgrading" from Rodgers to Ryan, but picking up half of the first round next year to go along with the 4 picks I already have...and I only have to pay some of my WR depth that I haven't really ever needed? Sounds like a no brainer to me!

So knowing that I might be selling Rodgers off, another owner has offered me Luck and McCoy for him (no picks).

So knowing that I might be selling Rodgers off, another owner has offered me Luck and McCoy for him (no picks).

That's a huge offer, if you're a slut you could go back to the picks guy and tell him to up his game as you've received an offer of that calibre.

That's a huge offer, if you're a slut you could go back to the picks guy and tell him to up his game as you've received an offer of that calibre.
But if he doesn't up it, I'm very tempted to get Luck and McCoy. This would give me the dynasty roster of:Luck, Flacco, TannyRice, McCoy, Spiller, J STew, D Will, Ingram, McGahee, B PowellCalvin, D Thomas, V Jax, Nicks, Crabtree, J GordonFinley, F DavisTynesWatt, Suggs, Charles JohnsonPoz, Greenway, Bishop, D'QwellBurnett, R Harper, T Branch, E Berry

Uh, Ive been one of the biggest backers here for the picks, but even I would take Luck and McCoy instead. Take it.

yeah, wow, what a stupid offer in a 10 team league (or any league) giving Mccoy and Luck for ROdgers.Get Mccoy, then deal Luck for a few future 1sts if you want. wow, bad

yeah, wow, what a stupid offer in a 10 team league (or any league) giving Mccoy and Luck for ROdgers.Get Mccoy, then deal Luck for a few future 1sts if you want. wow, bad

Doing that 2nd part would only leave me with Flacco at QB in a 10 teamer. It's a full 6 points for a passing TD, and I can't see Luck scoring anywhere near Rodgers, and I'd only be getting the "upgrade" from Spiller to Mccoy...unless I roll with Rice and McCoy and Spiller and only 2 WRs.

Doing that 2nd part would only leave me with Flacco at QB in a 10 teamer. It's a full 6 points for a passing TD, and I can't see Luck scoring anywhere near Rodgers, and I'd only be getting the "upgrade" from Spiller to Mccoy...unless I roll with Rice and McCoy and Spiller and only 2 WRs.
I meant deal Luck if you were able to do that other deal for Ryan or Kapernick or Wilson or whatever.Either way, you do the ROdgers for Luck and Mccoy deal, easily

Do you think you can win it all next season? If so, don't do this.

I do think I can win it all, possibly even without Rodgers (I don't mean for that to sound cocky or anything). I won it all in 2009 and 2010, and in 2011 I went 13-0 in the regular and then lost week 15 in the playoffs (pure dumb luck, was 2nd in points for the week, happened to play the only guy who could beat me). This year I was 2nd in overall points for the regular season, but due to very crazy scheduling I was 6-7. I don't see that happening again. I honestly see my team as a 9-10 win team over our 13 week regular season...so it will all depend on if I get a bye, or who I'll play weeks 14-16.That said, even at 8 wins instead of 9-10 due to starting Flacco instead of Rodgers, I'll still make the playoffs and still have a shot at winning it all, but it will be based on pure luck of who I'm matched up against those 3 weeks. If I don't like what I see at that time from Flacco, I'll make a move to get another QB with great matchups those weeks, possibly with one of those nine 1st round picks I'd have.Of course best case scenario is winning it all AND having 9 of the first 10 picks in the following draft. That would be crazy.
I'd do it and trade for a QB mid-season if I needed one.

That's insane, take it and run.