What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Favorite Mock (1 Viewer)

Donnybrook

Footballguy
My Favorite Mock: 2013 NFL Mock Draft: How Senior Bowl Is Affecting Draft Board

Although contraversal the logic behind these picks is undeniable IMO.

I pasted some of the more interesting picks below

8. Buffalo - Ryan Nassib - first QB off the board. Can they get him in the second with the QB demand?

9. NY Jets - Geno Smith - How can they pass on him?

18. Dallas - Tyler Wilson - Jimmy Jones was promising big changes. He just seems to fit the profile of a Dallas QB and Tony Romo contract status makes it intriguing IMO.

30. Atlanta - Eddie Lacy - I'm on board.

33. Jacksonville - Matt Barkley is arguable the most pro ready QB in this class. A departure from Gabbert and Tebow (not that he was a real option).

34. KC - Tyler Bray - Would Reid want a pure pocket passer? Hey, he did give Nick Foles a shot?

44. Carolina - Travon Austin - move over Steve Smith

45. San Diego - Giovani Bernard - I not on board but interesting none the less.

Have to love his Packer pick
What do you think about his 2nd and 3rd round projections? 1. Sharrif Floyd2. Montee Ball3. Sean Porter
For me, I like Porter if he can play inside. Like others in a few other mock threads...just don't see them going OLB too early in any draft with Perry and Matthews already there unless there simply was a can't miss type guy. So thinking maybe for inside here would make sense.My guess though is you see a WR or TE out of Thompson around round 3-4 to replace Jennings. Yes, its not "needed"...but even when it does not seem needed (Jordy), he pulls the trigger on one of his guys and gets good results.On Ball...the Badger fan in me would love cheering for him more. But a Wisc. RB always scares me. They are productive behind those big O lines and seem to get eaten alive in the NFL. Id like to see what he does at the combine as Ball seems like a bit of a different back obviously than Dayne and such. Faster and a bit leaner but still strong between the tackles. But a big difference between running for Wisconsin with that huge OL that is usually that much bigger than the D fronts...and behind this Packer OL.IMO they go RB later and add an OL in round 1 or 2. Love that first round pick though given their problems up front on D this past year especially against SF and MIN (in week 17).

8. Buffalo - Ryan Nassib - first QB off the board. Can they get him in the second with the QB demand?

18. Dallas - Tyler Wilson - Jimmy Jones was promising big changes. He just seems to fit the profile of a Dallas QB and Tony Romo contract status makes it intriguing IMO.

33. Jacksonville - Matt Barkley is arguable the most pro ready QB in this class. A departure from Gabbert and Tebow (not that he was a real option).

34. KC - Tyler Bray - Would Reid want a pure pocket passer? Hey, he did give Nick Foles a shot?

I think many people are missing something when trying to figure out the Eagles pick.This is what the above draft has for Philly.

--------------------------------------------

4. Philadelphia Eagles: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama (Jr.)

The Philadelphia Eagles invested heavily two offseasons ago in the starting cornerback tandem of Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. The Eagles’ secondary has seriously underperformed each of the past two seasons, however, which could have them moving on from either or both of them and looking for new talent at the position.

With very good size and length, quickness, physicality, instincts and ball skills, Milliner is the best cornerback prospect in the 2013 draft class. It is unclear what defensive scheme the Eagles will use as they have not yet hired a defensive coordinator, but Milliner can fit any system.

You can make a solid case for drafting a CB especially someone like Dee Milliner but consider the past three drafts by the Eagles and pay attention to the top picks.

1st round pick 12 DT Fletcher Cox

2nd round pick 46 ILB Mychal Kendricks

2rd round pick 59 DE Vinny Curry

3rd round pick 88 QB Nick Foles

4th round pick 123 DB Brandon Boykin

Four of the first five draft picks were devoted to the defense.

1at round pick 22 OL Danny Watkins

2nd round pick 54 DB Jaiquawn Jarrett

3rd round pick 90 DB Curtis Marsh

4th round pick 116 LB Casey Matthews

4th round pick 120 K Alex Henery

1st round pick 13 DE Brandon Graham

2nd round pick 27 DB Nate Allen

3rd round pick 86 DE Daniel Te'o-Nesheim

4th round pick 105 DB Trevard Linely

4th round pick 121 LB Keenan Clayton

All five of the first five draft picks were devoted to the defense.

So over the past three drafts the Eagles have devoted THIRTEEN of their top fifteen picks to the defense.

Last year's defensive collapse was widely viewed as a coaching failure.

The Eagles just broke the bank to hire a college coach and are paying him over $6 million per year. They hired him due to his offensive system. The Eagles don't currently have a QB on their roster who is a good fit for his system.

I'm thinking the top pick is very ripe for the Eagles to take an offensive player and if they identify a QB who fits Chip Kelly's offensive system then I think its a pretty good guess that is the player who they take with their top pick.

Ofcourse they could keep going down the road and use the FOURTEENTH of their last top fifteen picks on defense.

Um yeah, I don't think anyone could claim that they've had a lot of success with that philosophy.

Have to love his Packer pick
What do you think about his 2nd and 3rd round projections? 1. Sharrif Floyd2. Montee Ball3. Sean Porter
Ball does ok on blocking, and can catch, although as Waldman points out, sometimes double clutches on the catch. If he got to round 2, I think he is too high value not to pick - i have seen some mocks with him in the first (crazy, imho)Same really with Porter - very high value late in the 3rd. He is very athletic - just what you want/need at lb these daysPersonally, I think it more likely the packers would reverse those two picks - LB is a bigger need for the Pack (in TT opinion)

The Cowboys love Romo, Jerry included. Look at his stats, including big games, over the last 5 years. Drafting Romo is blowing everything up and they don't need to do that. Give Romo some time and protection and he's one of the best in the league.

The Saints' stated determination to switch to a 3-4 is going to turn the draft in some new directions. I think unless there's a NT who moves to New Orleans in free agency, Jonathan Jenkins is going to start going at 15 in a lot of mocks.

OT Eric Fisher is my pick to go to the Cardinals as well. I don't view many mocks, but haven't seen another yet that's slotted him to the Cards.

Positionally I love this draft for the Pats...it's what they need...add another crop of young defenders to last year's haul of Dennard, Jones, Hightower and Wilson (he's still a maybe) and they may get a little closer to having a D that can win in the playoffs...

Last edited by a moderator:
'Bracie Smathers said:

I think many people are missing something when trying to figure out the Eagles pick.This is what the above draft has for Philly.

4. Philadelphia Eagles: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama (Jr.)

The Philadelphia Eagles invested heavily two offseasons ago in the starting cornerback tandem of Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. The Eagles’ secondary has seriously underperformed each of the past two seasons, however, which could have them moving on from either or both of them and looking for new talent at the position.

With very good size and length, quickness, physicality, instincts and ball skills, Milliner is the best cornerback prospect in the 2013 draft class. It is unclear what defensive scheme the Eagles will use as they have not yet hired a defensive coordinator, but Milliner can fit any system.

You can make a solid case for drafting a CB especially someone like Dee Milliner but consider the past three drafts by the Eagles and pay attention to the top picks.

1st round pick 12 DT Fletcher Cox

2nd round pick 46 ILB Mychal Kendricks

2rd round pick 59 DE Vinny Curry

3rd round pick 88 QB Nick Foles

4th round pick 123 DB Brandon Boykin

1at round pick 22 OL Danny Watkins

2nd round pick 54 DB Jaiquawn Jarrett

3rd round pick 90 DB Curtis Marsh

4th round pick 116 LB Casey Matthews

4th round pick 120 K Alex Henery

1st round pick 13 DE Brandon Graham

2nd round pick 27 DB Nate Allen

3rd round pick 86 DE Daniel Te'o-Nesheim

4th round pick 105 DB Trevard Linely

4th round pick 121 LB Keenan Clayton

All five of the first five draft picks were devoted to the defense.

So over the past three drafts the Eagles have devoted THIRTEEN of their top fifteen picks to the defense.

Last year's defensive collapse was widely viewed as a coaching failure.

The Eagles just broke the bank to hire a college coach and are paying him over $6 million per year. They hired him due to his offensive system. The Eagles don't currently have a QB on their roster who is a good fit for his system.

I'm thinking the top pick is very ripe for the Eagles to take an offensive player and if they identify a QB who fits Chip Kelly's offensive system then I think its a pretty good guess that is the player who they take with their top pick.

Ofcourse they could keep going down the road and use the FOURTEENTH of their last top fifteen picks on defense.

Um yeah, I don't think anyone could claim that they've had a lot of success with that philosophy.

I think Philly will draft one of 3 players: Star Lotulelei, Jarvis Jones or Luke Joeckel.Since they are probably moving to a 3-4, Lotulelei seems like the perfect choice if he's still there at 4.

The Cowboys love Romo, Jerry included. Look at his stats, including big games, over the last 5 years. Drafting Romo is blowing everything up and they don't need to do that. Give Romo some time and protection and he's one of the best in the league.
When Green Bay took Aaron Rodgers, Brett was the reigning ironman and they had won three straight division championships. I am sure Dallas has other needs but Wilson could end up too much value to pass on at this point in the draft. Wilson could provides insurance in case Romo wants too much money next year. People were surprised, me included, when 49ers let Alex Smith, after a career year, explore free agency. They wanted him back but only at their price.

... Last year's defensive collapse was widely viewed as a coaching failure.

I'm thinking the top pick is very ripe for the Eagles to take an offensive player and if they identify a QB who fits Chip Kelly's offensive system then I think its a pretty good guess that is the player who they take with their top pick...
I think Philly will draft one of 3 players: Star Lotulelei, Jarvis Jones or Luke Joeckel.Since they are probably moving to a 3-4, Lotulelei seems like the perfect choice if he's still there at 4.
The Eagles do have a need of a starting 3-4 NT and Star is a possibility.Just saw this today that mentions that if the Eagles switch to the 3-4 that they don't have anyone on their current roster to fill the critical nose tackle position and they mention Star Lotulelei as a perfect fit.

My link

... Graham, Cole and Curry being able to fit a 3-4 would help immensely, because the Eagles will definitely need some help up front.

Cox, a tackle in a 4-3, almost certainly would be an end in a 3-4. Same with Cullen Jenkins. In fact, of all the defensive tackles on the roster, it would seem none fit the classic description of a nose tackle in a 3-4, including Antonio Dixon, who ironically has finally slimmed down to the weight they wanted but may now need to add pounds in order to properly clog the middle of something other than a 4-3.

Like Graham, Dixon believes he can fit into any system.

Jenkins, who played in a 3-4 at Green Bay before coming to the Eagles, already has proved he can. The question is whether the Eagles will bring him back at age 32 and $5.5 million.

Even if Graham, Cole, Cox, Curry, Jenkins and Dixon return, this is an area that will need to be addressed by the Eagles this offseason, because the contracts of Darryl Tapp and Derek Landri have expired, Phillip Hunt is not likely to fit into their plans, and Mike Patterson, who's due more than $4 million in 2013, is likely to become a salary cap casualty.

So who's out there? The NFL Draft is rich with defensive line talent this year.

Utah defensive tackle Star Lotulelei, at 6-3, 320, has the dimensions and skills to play inside or outside in a 3-4, but probably projects as more of a nose tackle...
I don't think any mock can overlook Star Lotulelei as a possible pick by the Eagles, if he falls to them with the fourth pick.

Seahawks1. Robert Woods, WR, USC (Jr.)2. Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina3. Alvin Bailey, G, Arkansas (Jr.)With Jason Jones and Alan Branch not under contract for 2013 it's tough for me to think there is a greater need than DT for the Seahawks. I can't help but think there is no way they would pass on Floyd for a WR instead. This year's WR class seems to be somewhat deep (just not top heavy) and I think they can get a similar (enough) player in round 2, and maybe even round 3. On top of that, the assertion that Pete Carroll picks player he has recruited is pretty false--at least over the last three drafts.Another option for the Seahawks is Margus Hunt, who this mock has going at 32 to the 49ers. Since Chris Clemons isn't going to be ready for the start of the season and Bruce Irvin not looking good enough in run support there is a definite need for a DE. But even if that were the case, we'd need to sign one (or both) of Jones and Branch back as that is an overall higher need.The Seahawks do need to address the WR position, I just don't see it in the first round.I like the G call in this draft, although with us having gone O-line 3 times in the past three years in the first three rounds I'm not certain it will be anything other than a last day pick.I'd rather go DT in the first, then WR and DE in the next two depending on the draft.

I see some terrible picks clearly only made to be 'different' and not make a lot of actual sense.

When Green Bay took Aaron Rodgers, Brett was the reigning ironman and they had won three straight division championships. I am sure Dallas has other needs but Wilson could end up too much value to pass on at this point in the draft. Wilson could provides insurance in case Romo wants too much money next year. People were surprised, me included, when 49ers let Alex Smith, after a career year, explore free agency. They wanted him back but only at their price.
Rodgers was BPA by a good margin. I don't know if Wilson will be BPA in the draft unless he falls to the 3rd round.

After a less than impressive performance by the QBs in the Senior Bowl, I will admit that many picks don't look very likely.

I know one thing, the following have to be the oddest first names ever projected in the top 6 : Bjoern- Damontre- Barkevious. Are these guys Bulgarian?

This mock is awful enough at times to skew my whole view on it. Nassib going top 10?! Milliner at 4? T'eo at 17? C'mon, the guys descriptions don't really scream of logic like you point out. He mentions T'eo was a sure fire top 5 pick before the NC, which I don't think was that likely.

Can't see Star Lotulelei falling to 10. But as a Titans fan, I'd be thrilled.Don't know much about Dallas Thomas but OL is a need. Stepford Taylor in the 3rd seems a good choice.Overall I'd be happy with this haul.

I know Nassib has the Syracuse connection, but I just can't see Buffalo taking him over Geno Smith. I would be furious if they took Nassib in the 1st at that position with Smith still available.

I don't think Datone Jones makes into the third, and if is there in the second and the Broncos take Jefferson I may go ballistic.And I would be just as furious if they pass on Chase Thomas for Khaled Holmes. Broncos drafted a center last year and already have Walton.This mock sucks!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if the Rams burn another high pick on a TE, the city riots.
Because Kendricks is so special and they drafted Joe Klopfenstein in the 2nd round in 2006?Have St. Louis fans taken notice how important the TE position has become in the NFL?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if the Rams burn another high pick on a TE, the city riots.
Because Kendricks is so special and they drafted Joe Klopfenstein in the 2nd round in 2006?Have St. Louis fans taken notice how important the TE position has become in the NFL?
Neither are special. Neither was Dominique Byrd, a 3rd rounder in 2006. Yes, it would appear that the Rams PREVIOUS brass realized how important TEs are. But we're talking two 2nds and a 3rd that have been wasted, and with the Rams needing so many other things, this draft is advocating using another high pick on a TE. Mikell might be cut, meaning the Rams will need not just one, but two safeties. They need a big play threat at WR, more than one offensive lineman, and a LB.

Neither are special. Neither was Dominique Byrd, a 3rd rounder in 2006. Yes, it would appear that the Rams PREVIOUS brass realized how important TEs are. But we're talking two 2nds and a 3rd that have been wasted, and with the Rams needing so many other things, this draft is advocating using another high pick on a TE. Mikell might be cut, meaning the Rams will need not just one, but two safeties. They need a big play threat at WR, more than one offensive lineman, and a LB.
There are no big play threats that will be on the board at the Rams' picks. The only one available is Allen and he'll be long gone.Safeties can be found in later rounds - indeed this mock has them taking Matt Elam with the #46 pick. And then it has them taking Kyle Long in the 3rd. Which is about right since Fisher has never, ever taken an offensive lineman in the 1st.That's the thing about drafting. Teams that say "our pick is whoever the best player available is at our greatest need" are ones that aren't very successful. What good teams (which is what I think the Rams are turning into) do instead is look for opportunities to grab great players even if it's not the greatest need simply because it makes them a better team. Fans need to remember that there are 7 rounds in the draft.

'Andy Dufresne said:
'Brady Marino said:
There are no big play threats that will be on the board at the Rams' picks. The only one available is Allen and he'll be long gone.Safeties can be found in later rounds - indeed this mock has them taking Matt Elam with the #46 pick. And then it has them taking Kyle Long in the 3rd. Which is about right since Fisher has never, ever taken an offensive lineman in the 1st.That's the thing about drafting. Teams that say "our pick is whoever the best player available is at our greatest need" are ones that aren't very successful. What good teams (which is what I think the Rams are turning into) do instead is look for opportunities to grab great players even if it's not the greatest need simply because it makes them a better team. Fans need to remember that there are 7 rounds in the draft.
Good points here. I do like that the mock at least had Elam going in the 2nd. I've got faith that Fisher and Snead will do the right thing. The 2012 draft is already wildly successful.

Users who are viewing this thread