What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The cocktail thread (1 Viewer)

Nice day, did some running and walking, some yard work....time for a little Vodka, OJ, and Crystal Light Raspberry Lemonade.

Was just going with Vodka and Lemonade (and there is a great joke about that in Patton Oswalts new special)...but the only lemonade we have is Crystal Light Raspberry Lemonade...and it needed some extra tanginess to it...so a splash of OJ did the trick.

On what I presume is a sunny late spring evening, I would go Tom Collins. Can't miss with a classic 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222511/tom-collins-cocktail/
If you want a simple four ingredient cocktail for a warm evening, then The Fitzgerald is your boy

2 oz Beefeater (what I use)

1 oz fresh Lemon Juice

3/4 oz honey simple syrup

Dash of Angostura Bitters

Shake all ingredients over ice until well chilled. Pour over large ice rock and garnish with a nice Lemon Twist 

Trust me, I've been knocking around this world for a very long time. The Fitzgerald uses simple syrup, not honey syrup, in my experience. Honey syrup makes it a Bee's Knees. I don't think adding a dash of bitters makes it an entirely different drink. If it does, I'm going to mix vodka and orange juice and then add a dash of Peychaud's and call it a McKigney. :lol:
Honey simple syrup is all I use to make simple syrup. The guy who showed me is pretty good at what he does

I love a Boulevardier. I love New Orleans too, introduced me to a drink I can't ever find at bars, probably because it's a PITA, the Ramos Gin Fizz. Man, I dig those. Love a Vieux Carre as well, a Cocktail a la Louisiana, an Absinthe Frappe, of course, the Sazerac. New Orleans is the best drinking town in America for cocktails, IMOm
There are only a few major American cities that are still truly cool and have maintained that for decades. New Orleans tops the list. 

On what I presume is a sunny late spring evening, I would go Tom Collins. Can't miss with a classic 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222511/tom-collins-cocktail/
I got blackout drunk on these at my wife’s friends wedding in Ann Arbor.  Basically we knew hardly anyone there, and my wife was busy talking with the people she knew.  So I was left mostly with a table of strangers and for some reason decided Tom Collins were the drink of the night, which I was double fisting for most of the evening...until last call came and I ordered 4...”for the table”.  Things got hazy after that but i guess my wife had to essentially carry me out of there.  I believe this is the one I passed out on the front lawn in my suit and just missed cracking my head on our landscaping rocks

Ray McKigney said:
Also, if you like a Boukevardier, try this twist sometime. The Bananavardier

Bananavardier
1.5 oz. Originally Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond; Geoffrey now prefers a solid Rye Whiskey to   achieve the proper balance.

.75 oz. Giffard Banane du Bresil Liqueur

.75 oz. Campari Liqueur

.5 oz. Dolin Rouge Vermouth de Chambery

Dried plantain chip, or orange peel to garnish. 
Serve up or on the rocks

This version is the brainchild of my frat brother, developed in NOLA. He worked with Chris McMillian down there, I had some of the best cocktails of my life visiting him. God, I wish he'd go back. 
I had one of these at the Anvil Bar in Houston back in 2015. If you need to get rid of any banana liqueur in your bar, pair it with a nice bitter because the sweetness of banana liqueur pairs wonderfully with the bitterness of Campari

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jules Winnfield what to do with Damiana liqueur?  I have a bottle for some unknown reason and it just sits there. 

Eta looks like it should be subbed for Cointreau in a margarita. To me that says I need to try to pair it with mezcal. 

eta2 - going to also try a naked and famous and sub out the chartreuse. 

@Jules Winnfield what to do with Damiana liqueur?  I have a bottle for some unknown reason and it just sits there. 

Eta looks like it should be subbed for Cointreau in a margarita. To me that says I need to try to pair it with mezcal. 

eta2 - going to also try a naked and famous and sub out the chartreuse. 
Landed on 

3/4 oz each of mezcal, Aperol, Damiana, Lemon juice 

Seeing the Mezcal, lemon juice, and Aperol means with the addition of a liqueur, you can make an Eclipse. This is a great drink from Difford's Guide that I have done as a special cocktail

Like making a Penicillin, where we float a smokey liquor on top, this one uses a Mezcal instead of an Islay Scotch

1 oz Anjeo

.75 oz Aperol

.75 oz Lemon Juice

.75 oz Cherry Heering Liqueur

Bar Spoon of Mezcal

Shake all ingredients over ice until well chilled and double strain over a large ice rock. Float about a bar spoon of Mezcal atop the drink. Great drink before dinner or out on the patio

Damiana...wtf? I haven't seen a bottle of that in a long time

Smoky, orange & rhubarb, herbal, tart

Shaken obviously...how was it?
Solid cocktail. Need to keep riffing but given its origin, makes sense to pair with tequila or mezcal. I liked it better with mezcal.

Seeing the Mezcal, lemon juice, and Aperol means with the addition of a liqueur, you can make an Eclipse. This is a great drink from Difford's Guide that I have done as a special cocktail

Like making a Penicillin, where we float a smokey liquor on top, this one uses a Mezcal instead of an Islay Scotch

1 oz Anjeo

.75 oz Aperol

.75 oz Lemon Juice

.75 oz Cherry Heering Liqueur

Bar Spoon of Mezcal

Shake all ingredients over ice until well chilled and double strain over a large ice rock. Float about a bar spoon of Mezcal atop the drink. Great drink before dinner or out on the patio
Could you sub luxardo for heering here?

Honey simple syrup is all I use to make simple syrup. The guy who showed me is pretty good at what he does

I agree on the honey simple syrup. My wife and I always have a handmade jar of it in the fridge. 
Debating making some honey simple syrup. I have some good local honey that I bought when I was in NM last year that I could use.

What are the suggested cocktails for it?  I do like a Bee’s Knees.  I use plain simple syrup for stuff like old fashioneds and Sazeracs. Honey syrup work just as well/better?

Debating making some honey simple syrup. I have some good local honey that I bought when I was in NM last year that I could use.

What are the suggested cocktails for it?  I do like a Bee’s Knees.  I use plain simple syrup for stuff like old fashioneds and Sazeracs. Honey syrup work just as well/better?
Big fan of a Brown Derby: whiskey, honey simple syrup and grapefruit juice 

Big fan of a Brown Derby: whiskey, honey simple syrup and grapefruit juice 
That sounds good. But I guess will need some grapefruit juice.

I’ve got lemon juice on hand, so may do the Bee’s Knees or a Gold Rush tonight unless something else strikes me.

That sounds good. But I guess will need some grapefruit juice.

I’ve got lemon juice on hand, so may do the Bee’s Knees or a Gold Rush tonight unless something else strikes me.
I do fresh squeezed usually but I’m sure a carton of pulp free juice would work fine

AAABatteries said:
I ended up going with a Del Monte

1.5 oz Light Rum

.75 oz Lemon Juice

.25 oz Grenadine

I enjoyed it but a little too lemony for me.  I would probably do .5 oz next time.
Housemade grenadine?

The wife was jonesin to try Peanut butter Whiskey.

Picked some up last weekend, she made a Peanut butter Cup martini.

I had a taste. Was pretty damn delicious. 

2/3 Screwball Peanut butter whiskey

1/3 Creme de Cacao

Shaker w/ ice and let it fly

Yeah, she got wrecked. Was a fun night.
Try it with 360 chocolate vodka instead of the creme de cacao

Try it with 360 chocolate vodka instead of the creme de cacao
.... psychic much? Just did that Saturday night. Was actually Van Gogh Dutch Chocolate and was def better than the Cream de Cacao ... but I actually preferred the Screwball PB whisky straight up.

@Jules Winnfield and I have been PMing about this. I couldn’t get fresh sage until yesterday, and made this tonight. Delicious. I’m still waiting to hear the story behind the name, but here is where it landed:

2 oz gin (he recommended Hendricks, but I went with St George Botanivore)

1 oz St Germain

0.75 oz fresh lemon juice 

0.5 oz honey syrup

4 sage leaves, +1 for garnish 

Add all ingredients except garnish leaf to cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously and double strain into cocktail glass.  Slap remaining leaf between hands to release oils then float on top of cocktail.

Served mine in coupe glass, but anything up works (Jules recommended Nick and Nora, which I’m getting for Father’s Day)  

@Jules Winnfield and I have been PMing about this. I couldn’t get fresh sage until yesterday, and made this tonight. Delicious. I’m still waiting to hear the story behind the name, but here is where it landed:

2 oz gin (he recommended Hendricks, but I went with St George Botanivore)

1 oz St Germain

0.75 oz fresh lemon juice 

0.5 oz honey syrup

4 sage leaves, +1 for garnish 

Add all ingredients except garnish leaf to cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously and double strain into cocktail glass.  Slap remaining leaf between hands to release oils then float on top of cocktail.

Served mine in coupe glass, but anything up works (Jules recommended Nick and Nora, which I’m getting for Father’s Day)  
Years back, I was standing in my chef's walk-in cooler looking at all his fresh herbs wondering what new cocktail I could make with something I hadn't used. I had used dill, thyme, basil, rosemary, tarragon...then I saw sage and realized I had never used it. After a number of attempts to come up with something. I finally created something I liked but now had to have a name for it

Sage Advice? Nope, already taken 

Sagebrush? Nope, already taken

While going through a list of things associated with sage, coyote was one of them and that night I was behind the bar with a bartender whose last name was Wylie

Now, I want to start in the process of fat-washing liquor to make cocktails. I've never done it but from what I have read, it looks like a lot of fun and flavor

I’m a fan but the Campari bitter aftertaste is not my favorite
You aren’t limited to Campari

Tattersall Bitter Orange (my favorite)

Luxardo Bitter

Ibisco Bitter

Cappelletti Aperitivo Americano

Contrato Bitter

Peychaud’s Aperitivo

Forthave Red 

There are a number of Campari Alternatives and too many to list on here

I stumbled upon these drinking vinegar concentrates at the local market this weekend.  A great way to quickly whip up something different in a flash. They recommend 0.5-1 oz per drink, depending on how forward you would like it to be. I paid $11 per 8 oz bottle, so not terribly economical, but a nIce diversion. 

Example recipe:

1-1.5 oz spirit

0.5-1 oz drinking vinegar

.25 oz lemon juice

4 oz seltzer or CS

obviously tons of room to riff, but this is what’s on one of the labels

Users who are viewing this thread