What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The cocktail thread (1 Viewer)

Cheap At-Home Drink Submission

My new favorite is the antithesis of a snobby drink. Not fancy, but it's really becoming a great go-to for pre-game with friends before heading out. Easy all around: Seagram's Sweet Tea Vodka, Arnold Palmer Half and Half Lemonade/Iced Tea. Make your drink as weak/strong as you want, pour in the Arnie, add ice, voila!

Just happen to stumble upon Sweet Tea Vodka on sale at the liquor store, hadn't ever even heard of it before. Handle of it is like $20, Arnold Palmer is like $5. Tastes like nothing, comes out of nowhere to get you ready to roll.

Once Out In Public Drink

Johnnie Black neat/ice, depending on mood. I'm a simple man, and this is my simple go-to. Love it.

Big fan of a good caipirinha. I make them with a turbinado simple syrup, cachaca, and 1 1/2 limes per serving. Delicious.

My wife loves a classic sidecar. Any variations on that?
Well, isn't the margarita pretty much the most famous sidecar variation of all time? Both are generally part of the "sour" family as I understand it.
That's possible. A traditional margarita that is. The sugar vs. salt rim is an interesting twist.I've made a few blood orange sidears and reduced the sugar to compensate. Pretty good, but my hand squeezer produces too much pulp and I don't want to strain it.Hadn't thought about the Calvados though. Sounds interesting.
How about changing the orange liqueur to a cherry liqueur like Cherry Heering or Maraschno Liqueur? Maybe try a Creme de Violette

Best tasting cocktail for a chick who hates pretty much all alcohol? Go!
anything-tini.
The Chocolatini:2 shots vanilla vodka2 shots kahlua1 shot creme de cacao1 shot chocolate syrupShake vigorously and serve in a chilled martini glass.
Shot of Godiva Chocolate Vodka Splash of Godiva Chocolate LiqueurSplash of CreamSplash of flavored liqueur (Cherry Heering, Heering Coffee, Frangelico, Briottet, Chambord, Praline Pecan, Thatcher's Blood Orange, etc...)Shake until well chilled. If you do pour it into a chilled martini glass, dip the rim into some chocolate and then chill the glass for a few hours so the chocolate hardens up

Big fan of a good caipirinha. I make them with a turbinado simple syrup, cachaca, and 1 1/2 limes per serving. Delicious.
I am also a big fan. Probably my first "favorite" cocktail as I drank them at Cafe Atlantico when I first started dating my wife. Back then, it was impossible to find cachaca to make at home. Now, it's ubiquitous. I also enjoy substituting kumquats for the limes for a very tasty variation.

Thanks for the responses. Although she is very picky and dosent like chocolate either.. any other ideas of more fruity type of drinks?

Created the Silver Streak1.75 ounces Nolet's Silver Gin1.5 ounces St Germain.5 ounces fresh Lemon Juice.5 ounces fresh Sage infused Agave Simple SyrupTasted fantastic now but in the summer it will be outstanding
Without tasting it, I am guessing it is too sweet for most. With a full shot of St. Germain in it, I am guessing you should double the lemon juice.

'weebs said:
Thanks for the responses. Although she is very picky and dosent like chocolate either.. any other ideas of more fruity type of drinks?
Most women I know enjoy Mojitos. You can add blueberries to a Mojito to get more fruit

'weebs said:
Muddle a few raspberries.1.5 oz Hangar One Buddha's Hand Vodka (You can use other citrus/lemon vodkas, they will taste dramatically worse.).75 oz lemon juice.5 oz simple syrupIceShake the hell out of itOld Fashioned glass (you can double strain to get the raspberry bits out, but most women like them)Top with Ginger Beer.

I rarely go out these days. A friend's band was playing at The Madrone last night and they had some good cocktails. one that stood out was their "angel island"

Kettle One OranJe, Aperol, Solerno, Fresh Lemon, Fresh Orange

So I'm going to try to use this thread as a means to motivate myself into trying some new stuff. But I have to be somewhat reasonable, because my wife already complains that I have too many varieties of liquor. And in fairness to her, it's tough to argue when I have 5 vermouths sitting around.

So I'm going to occassionally buy a specialty liquor and post some thoughts on new drinks. I've decided this weekend that I will buy a bottle of Benedictine and I will make:

the Vieux Carré

and

the original Raffles Hotel recipe for the Singapore Sling.

I've never had a Vieux Carré, but it hits all my notes (it's pretty much a hybrid of the original and modern Sazerac with the Benedictine in place of Herbsaint or absinthe), and it strikes me as a nice one to know as I might like to do a small Mardi Gras cocktail thing this year. I think I had a Sling back in college, but it was almost certainly not the original recipe, or anything approximating it. Pretty sure I haven't had one since developing a taste for gin.

I like to drink Paloma's at home when we eat anything mexican-ish (which we do often), and try to keep a regional brand grapefruit soda on hand for mixing. My wife, who is not much of a drinker, enjoys this cocktail as well - we call them Polanco's because I got drunk on them once while watching a Phillies game in which Placido Polanco played especially well a few summers back.

The Jaysus Polanco:

1 part lime juice (fresh, not Rose's)

2 parts reposado tequila

4 parts grapefruit soda

pinch of margarita style salt per drink

Stir for a long time, serve over ice

My wife prefers her glass rimmed with salt, I do not.

So I'm going to try to use this thread as a means to motivate myself into trying some new stuff. But I have to be somewhat reasonable, because my wife already complains that I have too many varieties of liquor. And in fairness to her, it's tough to argue when I have 5 vermouths sitting around.So I'm going to occassionally buy a specialty liquor and post some thoughts on new drinks. I've decided this weekend that I will buy a bottle of Benedictine and I will make: the Vieux Carréand the original Raffles Hotel recipe for the Singapore Sling.I've never had a Vieux Carré, but it hits all my notes (it's pretty much a hybrid of the original and modern Sazerac with the Benedictine in place of Herbsaint or absinthe), and it strikes me as a nice one to know as I might like to do a small Mardi Gras cocktail thing this year. I think I had a Sling back in college, but it was almost certainly not the original recipe, or anything approximating it. Pretty sure I haven't had one since developing a taste for gin.
I have a bottle of Benedictine in my bar pretty much exclusively for making Vieux Carres. When I was in New Orleans, I asked for one at about 5 different bars and the waitresses/bartenders looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears. I figured at least at the Carousel Bar, they'd know what it was, but nope.

'weebs said:
Most women I know enjoy Mojitos. You can add blueberries to a Mojito to get more fruit
This is a "drink", not a "cocktail", but an easy one is a Very Cherry. One shot cherry vodka mixed with Cherry Coke. I don't drink this (don't like vodka and gave up soft drinks years ago) but girls I know like it.

I figured at least at the Carousel Bar, they'd know what it was, but nope.
This is very disappointing.It gives me a physical sensation of pain to think that the Hurricane is considered the New Orleans cocktail.
To be fair, it was a waitress and not a bartender at the Carousel Bar that was puzzled by my request. Getting a seat at the bar was impossible, even at about 4 PM on a weekday. Just about every place was familiar with the Sazerac and the Ramos Gin Fizz, but my repeated requests for a Vieux Carre and its very close cousin, the Cocktail a la Louisiane, were met with confusion.

Snooty cocktail thread movie review.

Watched the documentary Hey, Bartender! today. I think the potential for a good documentary was there, but I came away disappointed. To start with, the filmmakers seemed to pick some pretty artificial "stories" to drive the narrative.

There was the owner of a struggling neighborhood bar who by the end of the movie "decides" to go to the annual Tales of the Cocktail convention and start to implement a real cocktail program at his bar in Westport. In addition to feeling completely staged, his story ends right where it should be beginning. We never learn whether he's able to get his Bud Lite and Stoli shots clientele interested in cocktails.

The other main story is about an "apprentice" bartender at New York's Employee's Only and the question of whether he will make "Principal Bartender." Again the story is completely contrived, and what's worse this guy is kind of a #####. In a movie that's ostensibly about the growth of craft cocktails, this guy seems to care a lot more about the "sage" (his word) aspect of tending bar. Because I'm old, I have to admit that I don't care if my bartender thinks he's a rockstar. I don't need tatoos or ironic facial hair. I want the guy to make me a great drink. I have no doubt that EO makes great drinks, but this guy seemed way more into the mystique of the bar than into the process of making a great drink.

The movie did focus on some other people, like Dale DeGroff, the patron saint of the craft cocktail. He was great and engaging. I would have liked more from him on others about how they make infusions and choose glasses and choose ice and all that crafty stuff that has made cocktails great again.

So I guess I give it a mild recommendation if you love bars.

On a more productive note, I'm in kind of a gin and tonic mood this summer. I've even taken to calling them "gin tonics" after the Spanish fashion because it really, really annoys my wife.

Interested in any particular combinations of brands of gin and tonic water people recommend. I'm generally sticking with Bluecoat and Q Tonic and using some form of citrus peel instead of any juice. I particularly like orange peel. I'd like to try Fever Tree tonic so I'm interested if anyone has successfully paired it.

I love Nolet's Silver I have been drinking a lot of it lately while enjoying a classic in the Aviation cocktail but it does pair with really good tonic (like Fever Free) or with some club soda

Whoa, I missed this thread completely.

I've been making paper airplanes lately - the recipe I have calls for 1 part rye whiskey, 1 part amaro nonino, 1 part campari, 1 part lemon juice, but I usually bump up the rye to 2 parts and the rest of the ingredients down by 1/3 to make the volume right. I think I'll try a gin-based version.

I've been drinking Hendrick's gin and Bulleit rye lately, haven't tried any fancy tonic waters yet. Perhaps I will look for one.

My wife is also complaining about how many obscure liqueurs I have been buying.

I was just given a bottle of EH Taylor bourbon. Never had it. Anyone on here imbibe in this bourbon?

I have been making drinks lately with Aperol, Licor 43, St Germain, Luxardo, Canton, Soho, and many other spirits. I am really wanting to get into some hard to find and rare liqueurs from Europe. Too many good international cocktails to try out this summer

Just experimented with a Bloody Mary variation (actually a Red Snapper as I used gin). I took vine ripened tomato and puréed it with fresh lemon juice, Tabasco, worcestshire and lots of salt. I then used a fine sieve to strain it into a shaker of ice and added just a splash of Birth of Pain habanero Bloody Mary mix and two ounces of gin. A light shake and served in an iced highball glass with a lemon slice. It's more citrusy and refreshing than a standard Mary.

On a more productive note, I'm in kind of a gin and tonic mood this summer. I've even taken to calling them "gin tonics" after the Spanish fashion because it really, really annoys my wife.

Interested in any particular combinations of brands of gin and tonic water people recommend. I'm generally sticking with Bluecoat and Q Tonic and using some form of citrus peel instead of any juice. I particularly like orange peel. I'd like to try Fever Tree tonic so I'm interested if anyone has successfully paired it.
I've always been partial to Boodles.I don't whether its because it makes me happy to say it or because I love my standard poodles.

My sister was just on FB asking for a rename of what the bartender called a Peach Donkey. It's a Moscow Mule with peach puree. All I've been able to come up with is Trailer Park Bellini, or Bumpin' Fuzzies with Sara Jessica Parker on a Park Bench in Leningrad.

Anything else?

My sister was just on FB asking for a rename of what the bartender called a Peach Donkey. It's a Moscow Mule with peach puree. All I've been able to come up with is Trailer Park Bellini, or Bumpin' Fuzzies with Sara Jessica Parker on a Park Bench in Leningrad.

Anything else?
Georgian Mule, works both ways on the Georgia part.

This summer my go to cocktail has been potato vodka with soda and a splash of grapefruit juice. It only takes a tiny bit of the gfj to make a very tasty low cal/low carb drink.

Here is a project for the FFA. Help me find a way to enjoy vodka. I occassionally enjoy a Bloody Mary (although they are far more often kind of terrible, so I only get them from one or two brunch spots).But I just generally don't enjoy vodka cocktails much at all. What should I try? A Moscow Mule (I do like Dark and Stormys, so maybe this is similar)? Go full on Dude and have a White Russian?
My go-to beverage for home is vodka and a 50/50 split of club soda and Diet Hansen's Tangerine Lime. It's ridiculously refreshing.
Need to insist that someone here try this and report back.

Just experimented with a Bloody Mary variation (actually a Red Snapper as I used gin). I took vine ripened tomato and puréed it with fresh lemon juice, Tabasco, worcestshire and lots of salt. I then used a fine sieve to strain it into a shaker of ice and added just a splash of Birth of Pain habanero Bloody Mary mix and two ounces of gin. A light shake and served in an iced highball glass with a lemon slice. It's more citrusy and refreshing than a standard Mary.
To go back to page 1, if you are still looking for something to do with Vodka.... I like to do a chipotle vodka infusion for Bloody Marys. Adds a nice smokiness and spice to it. Take about 6 dried chipotle peppers, de-stem and seed them, let them soak for a week, strain.

I tried doing a bacon infusion once, but it didn't really work. Need to try that again. I love bacon slices in my Bloody Marys.

Here is a project for the FFA. Help me find a way to enjoy vodka.
You ever find something you like? I usually just mix mine with cranberry or lime juice. Sometimes if the wife is wanting some I'll add in some genadine or fruit liqueur. It's definitely not snobby but it works for me.
I'm still pretty much exclusively a Bloody Mary guy for vodka. In fairness, I haven't experimented too much. I find vodka tonics to be perfectly acceptable drinks. I just like gin and tonics much better than that.

But, to truly honor this thread, I promise to try a Moscow Mule from a respected bar in the area in the next month or two.

Whoa, I missed this thread completely.

I've been making paper airplanes lately - the recipe I have calls for 1 part rye whiskey, 1 part amaro nonino, 1 part campari, 1 part lemon juice, but I usually bump up the rye to 2 parts and the rest of the ingredients down by 1/3 to make the volume right. I think I'll try a gin-based version.

I've been drinking Hendrick's gin and Bulleit rye lately, haven't tried any fancy tonic waters yet. Perhaps I will look for one.

My wife is also complaining about how many obscure liqueurs I have been buying.
I have perfected these, but it works better with Aperol

1.5 oz rye, 1 oz amaro nonino, .75 oz aperol, juice of 1/2 small lemon or 1/3 large lemon

Shake over ice and serve up with a lemon twist.

Last edited by a moderator:
what do you call it when a cocktail (say an "Old fashioned") is served in a glass with a single, large piece of ice instead of a bunch of crushed ice? cuz I like that

Here is one, more for the season:

Homemade Bailey's

3 eggs

2T Hershey's Chocolate Syrup

1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk

1 Pint Table Cream (Light Cream)

1 Pint Half & Half

1 Cup Whiskey (to taste ;->)

Blend and chill

Do it the first time in a blender, then put it in a container you can shake; so you can properly mix it before serving.
Have made this every year just about forever and it is delicious. Can be multiplied easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
what do you call it when a cocktail (say an "Old fashioned") is served in a glass with a single, large piece of ice instead of a bunch of crushed ice? cuz I like that
I don't think there's a special name for it, but it's a trend to try to minimize dilution. I see it more with a straight spirit (like Scotch). Many cocktails need some dilution.

I spoke about this in the whiskey thread, but I have to give High West some props for their barrelled cocktails. I think the Boulevardier is particularly good, but the Manhattan is also quite nice (although I'm still inclined to mix my own).

Pretentious.

I'm not sure if there's a name for it, I just never had them around in any of the bars I worked in. They're cool, though I don't know how much of a difference it makes.

Pretentious.

I'm not sure if there's a name for it, I just never had them around in any of the bars I worked in. They're cool, though I don't know how much of a difference it makes.
I think it's awesome. It cools the drink considerably, and doesn't water it down.

Pretentious.

I think it's awesome. It cools the drink considerably, and doesn't water it down.
Correct, it makes a big difference, especially if it is deoxygenated.

I don't really have strong feeling about ice. I'm usually using it in the shaker and straining into a cold glass anyway. For Old Fashioneds, I drink those way too fast to have any problems with dilution or lack of cooling. Same with gin and tonics, as I'm filling a red wine glass all the way with ice.

Here is one, more for the season:

Homemade Bailey's

3 eggs

2T Hershey's Chocolate Syrup

1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk

1 Pint Table Cream (Light Cream)

1 Pint Half & Half

1 Cup Whiskey (to taste ;->)

Blend and chill
Have made this every year just about forever and it is delicious. Can be multiplied easily.
I am going to try this one.

Users who are viewing this thread