ShaHBucks

[Dynasty] 2013 QB Class

141 posts in this topic

I don't like to evaluate skill position players until I see some combine numbers, it helps me weed out the real athletes. Aside from wonderlic scores I can get a idea of who a QB is as a passer as of now. I'm sure you know this is a weak QB class if you follow any trust worthy scouts. There's no slamdunks here, maybe we can find a diamond in the rough. I'll start with a few QB whom I've looked at the numbers, read scouting reports, and watch YouTube videos vs the tougher teams they played.

Ryan Nassib

This guy has one of the strongest arms I've seen in a while. He reminds me of Jay Cutler if he wasn't a turnover prone cry baby. His short-med range throws get from point A to B before you could blink. That's not always a good thing in college but it could be a huge asset with NFL quality WR's. If he ends up impressing scouts with his arm strength at the combine(ala Jamarcus Russel) I could see him going as high as #2 to Jacsonville, Oakland, and of course Buffalo. If that happends I'd be all over Shorts, Moore, or Donald Jones, because they are recievers that could take Nassib's 5-10 yard lasers to the house before the defense knows what happened. Kind of like what we seen with Garcon/RG3 this year. That's if he's pressed into action. If he get to sit behind a established aging QB like Ryan Mallet or Brock Oswiler then Nassib is probably the top stash in this QB class. His deepball looks like he trys to put too much touch on it. I wouldn't be as excited to own his jumpball WR as oppoed to his possesion WR.

His numbers are just ok, and he played well vs the better team on his schedule. Numbers guys will think he's meh, tape guys will end up all over him. I'm lukewarm on Nassib ever becoming a eliete fantasy QB, like Cutler, but I don't think there is a QB with a higher upside in this draft.

Edited by ShaHBucks

Thanks for posting. I hadn't read up on this guy. I'm not as optimistic as you on him. His arm looks strong but I'm not seeing much touch.

I'm not too high on most of the Qb's. There's a lot of mediocre being shoved down our throats. Some of them are already fading like Matt Barkley

Nassib has lots of problems going down field, like everyone else in this draft he has flaws that need masked. I feel more comfortable trying to mask geno's flaws than Nassib. You must be a master at reads, deception, and accuracy to ball without a deep arm. Not a guy I would build around, later day two developmental guy.

Personally I compare him to Jake Locker. Nassib has a horrible deep ball. Very quick release, though. Fits a WCO team better.I don't think he has much upside. Tyler Bray probably gets that label.

Personally I compare him to Jake Locker. Nassib has a horrible deep ball. Very quick release, though. Fits a WCO team better.I don't think he has much upside. Tyler Bray probably gets that label.

locker has no accuracy, never did. Inside twenty yards Nassib does.

Lockers only good quality is the deep ball now. And bray will be the best quarterback from this class.

Agreed. If Locker can sneak in the 1st I'm sure Nassib can

Agreed. If Locker can sneak in the 1st I'm sure Nassib can
Locker is not a reason to justify Nassib in the 1st. He was an awful pick then, just because Nassib isn't quite as awful as Locker doesn't mean he should be justified in the same area of the draft.

I don't grade QB's until they are drafted. You go to a bad O and you'll probably suck no matter what. You go to a wco and you'll probably have success. It's really too hard to rate QB's unless they're Manning/Luck/Brees types.

Lockers only good quality is the deep ball now. And bray will be the best quarterback from this class.
Locker isn't accurate deep or short.

Any Cougar fans out there that can tell me more about Jeff Tuel? He looks to have some upside as a late round/ free agent developmental QB.

Edited by Donnybrook

Who is the running QB that was projected to go in the 3rd but will now slide into the late 1st because of RG3,Kap and Wilson?Im guessing my Jets will overpay to move their 2nd to NE for their late 1st and get this guy. Might as well start reading up on him.

Edited by comfortably numb

Who is the running QB that was projected to go in the 3rd but will now slide into the late 1st because of RG3,Kap and Wilson?Im guessing my Jets will overpay to move their 2nd to NE for their late 1st and get this guy. Might as well start reading up on him.

:confused:

EJ Manuel?

EJ Manuel?
From what I can remember, Manuel isn't that mobile. More of a pocket guy that can evade a tackle or two and will run just enough to get a first down or gain positive yardage. He has had 100+ rushes the last couple of years but he only averages about 2 yards per. So I wouldn't consider him a running QB. Besides, I'm not sure he is NFL quality for a QB. He was a Mr. Football in Florida I believe (FSU likes to pick up those Mr. Football (athlete)types and try to make them QBs).And as to the original poster...do you really consider Cutler elite? He does have a strong arm, but I've never considered him elite.The guy I'm gonna continue to eyeball is Barkley. How do you go from being the #1 rated QB 1 year ago to falling completely out of favor with the pundits? He played in an NFL style offense and put up quality numbers in a tough conference. I think his injuries played a bigger role than we suspect. To me, he is the #1 QB in this class. I don't trust guys that burst on to the scene for 1 year like some of these other guys have done.

The guy I'm gonna continue to eyeball is Barkley. How do you go from being the #1 rated QB 1 year ago to falling completely out of favor with the pundits? He played in an NFL style offense and put up quality numbers in a tough conference. I think his injuries played a bigger role than we suspect. To me, he is the #1 QB in this class. I don't trust guys that burst on to the scene for 1 year like some of these other guys have done.

Technically he was only rated #1 only after he said he was returning to school. He was never ahead of Luck and RGIII clearly would have passed him. I don't believe the loss in confidence in Barkley has a lot to do with injury. It has more to do with his increase in turnovers from last season and team losses. IMO he is clearly behind Geno.

I don't think Manuel is all that mobile either, best example I can think of though. Still confused why tahj did not declare.

The guy I'm gonna continue to eyeball is Barkley. How do you go from being the #1 rated QB 1 year ago to falling completely out of favor with the pundits? He played in an NFL style offense and put up quality numbers in a tough conference. I think his injuries played a bigger role than we suspect. To me, he is the #1 QB in this class. I don't trust guys that burst on to the scene for 1 year like some of these other guys have done.

Technically he was only rated #1 only after he said he was returning to school. He was never ahead of Luck and RGIII clearly would have passed him. I don't believe the loss in confidence in Barkley has a lot to do with injury. It has more to do with his increase in turnovers from last season and team losses. IMO he is clearly behind Geno.
So was it two years ago Barkley was the #1 rated QB? Had to have been I guess. Obviously Luck and RGIII blossomed. I see Geno had some crazy stats (ala RGIII) so what is the knock on him? Just because he fell apart in the last couple of games?

Smith gets indecisive in the pocket and take a lot of sacks IMO. He's just slow sometimes.

Thanks for posting. I hadn't read up on this guy. I'm not as optimistic as you on him. His arm looks strong but I'm not seeing much touch.

:goodposting: See John Skelton of the Arizona Cards.

EJ Manuel?
From what I can remember, Manuel isn't that mobile. More of a pocket guy that can evade a tackle or two and will run just enough to get a first down or gain positive yardage. He has had 100+ rushes the last couple of years but he only averages about 2 yards per. So I wouldn't consider him a running QB. Besides, I'm not sure he is NFL quality for a QB. He was a Mr. Football in Florida I believe (FSU likes to pick up those Mr. Football (athlete)types and try to make them QBs).And as to the original poster...do you really consider Cutler elite? He does have a strong arm, but I've never considered him elite.The guy I'm gonna continue to eyeball is Barkley. How do you go from being the #1 rated QB 1 year ago to falling completely out of favor with the pundits? He played in an NFL style offense and put up quality numbers in a tough conference. I think his injuries played a bigger role than we suspect. To me, he is the #1 QB in this class. I don't trust guys that burst on to the scene for 1 year like some of these other guys have done.
E.J. Manuel, Collin Klein, Matt Scott, Nick Florence are the top read option guys. Haven't looked into them yet. I was going to get into Mike Glennon soon. I don't think anyone in this class is a slamdunk like Luck/RG3. It's why you don't see the draftniks marrying any of them. I've seen prospect boards where theres no Qb's in the top 30 or so. But beggers can't be choosers and there are teams with real needs at QB. GM's/Coaches with jobs on the line will have to reach and hope he's just that, a better Cutler without the int's and questionable leadership. It's a pure gamble, he might end up being just ok and no better than Cutler. Like I said before if he slips and ends up being a developmental project for a team with a starter like the Saints or Cowboys than he could be a good investment.

So was it two years ago Barkley was the #1 rated QB? Had to have been I guess. Obviously Luck and RGIII blossomed. I see Geno had some crazy stats (ala RGIII) so what is the knock on him? Just because he fell apart in the last couple of games?
People figured out Barkley has a noddle arm for nfl standards

More than just that, didn't have the pass pro he has before and showed he has problems under duress too.

His arm is 'good enough', what disappointed people was the lack of accuracy and poor decision making. In the right system, like the Patriots, he could be very successful.

His arm is 'good enough', what disappointed people was the lack of accuracy and poor decision making. In the right system, like the Patriots, he could be very successful.
So could Matt Cassel.

Mike Glennon 66, 232 NC St.

The Numbers: Glennon has back-to-back season with 30+ TDs to his credit. Throwing away some of the cake games over the past two seasons Glennon shows a bit of a turnover problem, yet he still throws for a ton of TDs. He also has accuracy issues, completing only 58% of his passes as a SR. That is a huge flaw, great college QBs today reach comp% close to 70. He threw for 2TD/1INT vs SEC competition which is horrible. Vs the better ACC teams he threw 24TD/10INT which is great. For every yin there is a yang with Glennon and it shows on film.

The Tape:

vs Miami

vs FSU

vs UNC

Glennon is a smart QB with a decent arm. He has a nice delivery, good arm strength and touch. He consistently drives the ball downfield and put pressure on the defense. His accuracy issues occur when he is late with his throws and tries to force the ball into tighter windows. Those throws are a real head scratcher. It is understandable why he is compared to a lesser version of Eli Manning or Mat Ryan; there are times Glennon is cerebral, other times he looks like he taking a midterm that he didnt study for.

My Thoughts: You will hear 1000x's that he can make "all the throws."Throwing at the combine will only drive his stock higher. Glennon is a top 5 QB in this class. Gun to my head I would be pick between him and Nassib as of now with hopes that they could reach a higher level. The real debate I struggled with is what do I think of Ryan/Eli? If you think those guys are elite then Glennon is the top QB in the draft. Ryan and Eli have a top of weapons on offence that drive their production. Id be interested in Glennon if he lands on a team with great weapons but I wouldnt overpay. He will be ok but Id bet against him being elite. I usually take a stand but I have one foot in and one foot out with Glennon.

Edited by ShaHBucks

I wanted to do more thorough reports like before but I don't have the time. This wasn't a easy class to evaluate. As great as the 2012 class was, 2013 has a shot at being the exact opposite. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder, and a lot will depend on where these guys get drafted and schedules. I'll definitely check in for debates!Top 5(no order):Nassib (Laser arm, questionable everything else)Glennon (great size and skill but too erratic)Smith ( System qb? Most polished)Jones (Pure value pick. Also polished with upside)Manuel (Top read option qb. Needs a good 40 time)Read Option:(in order)ManuelScott(strong arm)Klein (better deep ball passer than Tebow. )Bust: Tyler WilsonTyler BrayZac DysertSleeper:Tino Sunseri (he can be a game manager, worth seeing if he has upside. 4 head coaches in 3 years didn't help him any)

I wanted to do more thorough reports like before but I don't have the time. This wasn't a easy class to evaluate. As great as the 2012 class was, 2013 has a shot at being the exact opposite. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder, and a lot will depend on where these guys get drafted and schedules. I'll definitely check in for debates!Top 5(no order):Nassib (Laser arm, questionable everything else)Glennon (great size and skill but too erratic)Smith ( System qb? Most polished)Jones (Pure value pick. Also polished with upside)Manuel (Top read option qb. Needs a good 40 time)Read Option:(in order)ManuelScott(strong arm)Klein (better deep ball passer than Tebow. )Bust: Tyler WilsonTyler BrayZac DysertSleeper:Tino Sunseri (he can be a game manager, worth seeing if he has upside. 4 head coaches in 3 years didn't help him any)

No Matt Barkley?

1361558865' post='15331438']

1361555501' post='15331252']I wanted to do more thorough reports like before but I don't have the time. This wasn't a easy class to evaluate. As great as the 2012 class was, 2013 has a shot at being the exact opposite. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder, and a lot will depend on where these guys get drafted and schedules. I'll definitely check in for debates!Top 5(no order):Nassib (Laser arm, questionable everything else)Glennon (great size and skill but too erratic)Smith ( System qb? Most polished)Jones (Pure value pick. Also polished with upside)Manuel (Top read option qb. Needs a good 40 time)Read Option:(in order)ManuelScott(strong arm)Klein (better deep ball passer than Tebow. )Bust: Tyler WilsonTyler BrayZac DysertSleeper:Tino Sunseri (he can be a game manager, worth seeing if he has upside. 4 head coaches in 3 years didn't help him any)

No Matt Barkley?
No, I think he's just a capable QB who's production was drivin by superstar WR's.

I stumbled across this: EJ Manuel - 2013 Skills Challenge At this point, I am wondering why Manuel isn't getting more love from Mayock, Kiper etc. Are they overlooking the obvious or am I missing something?

I want to like Manuel more than I do, but he does not seem to have the "it" factor of Luck, RG3 and wilson. In fact, he has a lot the same all-around qualities as those guys, but just comes off as the clear level below. I understand that is not tangible. that said, I think when it is all said and done Manuel will be a first round pick and maybe even late enough that a team that will be willing to a take year or two to develop him.

I stumbled across this: EJ Manuel - 2013 Skills Challenge At this point, I am wondering why Manuel isn't getting more love from Mayock, Kiper etc. Are they overlooking the obvious or am I missing something?

They are missing the boat on this guy bad. He is very similar to Kaepernick.

I've spend some time trying to piece together what I think about Manuel from possible comps. But there really aren't many. He's definitely not in the same league as Kaepernick or Culpepper -- he doesn't have that kind of pure foot speed. But he could be a 'lite' version of those guys.Alternately, a bigger, faster, better passing Jason Campbell is in the ballpark. He's a little loose with the ball like Campbell, too.Both of those possibilities would be pretty decent and in the right system I think he could be fantasy relevant since he'll probably be a better FF QB than an NFL QB.

They are missing the boat on this guy bad. He is very similar to Kaepernick.
49ers have a ton of picks, it would be interesting to see if they would bite.

A couple thing that impress me about EJ Manuel is his pocket awareness and his escapability under duress. Landry Jones is the polar opposite and yet Mayock has Jones ranked higher. It is like ranking Gabbert ahead of Cam Newton. It makes no sense. EJ Manuel has also impressed me with his maturity and confidence he has displayed in the post season. He is convinced that he is the best QB in this class. I am not so sure he is wrong.

EJ Manuel has also impressed me with his maturity and confidence he has displayed in the post season. He is convinced that he is the best QB in this class.

I think most draftable QBs probably think this, especially in a draft that lacks a clear top pick like Luck or RG3. I would be surprised if any of them didn't think they were the best in this draft class.

If people could talk themselves into Christian Ponder I don't see why they can't do the same with EJ Manuel.