Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Christo

Israelis admit giving long-term contraceptives to Ethiopian women

160 posts in this topic

An Israeli official acknowledged the practice of injecting women of Ethiopian descent with long-acting contraceptive Depo-Provera, Haaretz reported Sunday.The birth-rate of the Israeli Ethiopian community had declined by over 50 percent in the past 10 years.Sharona Eliahu of the Israeli Association of Civil Rights in January wrote a letter saying an investigation into the practice should be launched and that the injections should cease.In response, Health Ministry Director General Prof. Ron Gamzu asked translators to volunteer their time so that doctors might communicate with their patients.He also told four health maintenance organizations to stop the injections if the women do not fully understand the consequences of the drug, according to the Israeli daily.State agencies and ministries had previously denied knowing of the practice which had been reported for the first time five years ago.Depo-Provera is administered every three months and clinical trials show a near-zero percent failure rate in preventing pregnancies.Many of the women experienced abnormal uterine bleeding however, which interferes with sexual intimacy.It has also been said to decrease women's sex-drive.Fifty percent of women on hormonal birth-control are said to stop having their period after a year. Even after discontinuing the medication, it can take a year for a woman’s period to regulate.Beyond making the woman sterile for as long as they are on the drug, a common side-effect of the contraceptive is significantly decreased bone density.Depo-Provera has also been used with male sex-offenders as a form of chemical castration, as it greatly reduces the male sex-drive.

http://english.al-akhbar.com/content/israelis-admit-giving-long-term-contraceptives-ethiopian-womenIt's getting harder and harder to like Israel.

This was in the best interest of the Ethiopian people. Israel should be commended. /republican

It's getting harder and harder to like Israel.

You've just lost tim's vote.

Sounds like something the Germans would have done to the Jews.

Or we would have done to blacks.No one's hands are clean. But I'd like to think most of us are beyond that sort of thing at this point. The Israelis are scared. And they have every right to be. While they are fighting to preserve their borders they are slowly being bred out of their country. How do you fight that? One way is just change their laws. But then their democracy high ground pretty much falls apart. So they did it secretively.

Or we would have done to blacks.No one's hands are clean. But I'd like to think most of us are beyond that sort of thing at this point. The Israelis are scared. And they have every right to be. While they are fighting to preserve their borders they are slowly being bred out of their country. How do you fight that? One way is just change their laws. But then their democracy high ground pretty much falls apart. So they did it secretively.
The thing is these Ethiopians are Jews. They immigrated under The Law of Return. They're just black Jews and thus undesirable to the European Jews.

Here's another article:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-gave-birth-control-to-ethiopian-jews-without-their-consent-8468800.html

Israel has admitted for the first time that it has been giving Ethiopian Jewish immigrants birth-control injections, often without their knowledge or consent.The government had previously denied the practice but the Israeli Health Ministry’s director-general has now ordered gynaecologists to stop administering the drugs. According a report in Haaretz, suspicions were first raised by an investigative journalist, Gal Gabbay, who interviewed more than 30 women from Ethiopia in an attempt to discover why birth rates in the community had fallen dramatically.One of the Ethiopian women who was interviewed is quoted as saying: “They [medical staff] told us they are inoculations. We took it every three months. We said we didn’t want to.” It is alleged that some of the women were forced or coerced to take the drug while in transit camps in Ethiopia.The drug in question is thought to be Depo-Provera, which is injected every three months and is considered to be a highly effective, long-lasting contraceptive.Nearly 100,000 Ethiopian Jews have moved to Israel under the Law of Return since the 1980s, but their Jewishness has been questioned by some rabbis. Last year, the Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, who also holds the health portfolio, warned that illegal immigrants from Africa “threaten our existence as a Jewish and democratic state”.Haaretz published an extract from a letter sent by the Ministry of Health to units administering the drug. Doctors were told “not to renew prescriptions for Depo Provera for women of Ethiopian origin if for any reason there is concern that they might not understand the ramifications of the treatment”.Sharona Eliahu Chai, a lawyer for the Association of Civil Rights in Israel (ACRI), said: “Findings from investigations into the use of Depo Provera are extremely worrisome, raising concerns of harmful health policies with racist implications in violation of medical ethics. The Ministry of Health’s director-general was right to act quickly and put forth new guidelines.”

Wat?

God was on his 'A+' game the day he created Ethiopian women. Only those not right in God's eye (the Unchosen) would hamper with the creation of such un-abject beauty.

The Israelis are scared. And they have every right to be. While they are fighting to preserve their borders they are slowly being bred out of their country. How do you fight that?

:jawdrop:

What do you mean "their country"? Everyone has the right to immigrate anyywhere, and any objection to that is clearly xenophobia.

And what difference does it make if Ethiopians outbreed Israelis in Israel when all people are the same?

Shame on you, Christo. Shame on you.

"Democratic State."

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Israel? Nobody believes that, right?

:pertaining to or characterized by the principle of political or social equality for all

What's the Jewish Lobby have to say about this? Oh right, they don't exist.

I'm going to wait for Tim to tell us this is Obama's fault, but he's confused about it.

It's getting harder and harder to like Israel.

You've just lost tim's vote.
Don't be silly. He just secured a full endorsement from Uncle Tim ®

Is their Jewishness debated? As if that mattered.

Is their Jewishness debated? As if that mattered.

Nearly 100,000 Ethiopian Jews have moved to Israel under the Law of Return since the 1980s, but their Jewishness has been questioned by some rabbis.

No True Jew.

1st thing that came to my mind

What's the Jewish Lobby have to say about this?

I wonder what @the_ironsheik has to say about this bubba

So who ordered it to begin with?

Seems like a pertinent question. And who knew? Did we know? So many questions.

Man that is a lot of people to keep quiet to pull this off. Doctors, nurses, office workers, drug supply companies, the people or person who actually ordered the program. WoW

So Ethiopian joos aren't considered real joos in Israel. And I have heard that, at least among Israeli Orthodox joos, that American joos aren't considered real joos either. This begs a couple of questions:- Do all pseudo-joos get depo provera or is it just Ethiopians? - Do joos agree on whether being a joo is a question of race or religion? Depo provera is a legally prescribed contraceptive here in the US. Were the Ethiopians going to the doctor looking for contraceptives and being prescribed a disproportionately high incidence of this drug? Or were they going for something else and being injected with the contraceptive and being told it was an immunization, or something like that?

I'm going to wait for Tim to tell us this is Obama's fault, but he's confused about it.

Nuanced view. It will not be Obama's fault though, it will clearly be Israel's (since they have no historical connection to Palestine)...and Truman's.

So Ethiopian joos aren't considered real joos in Israel. And I have heard that, at least among Israeli Orthodox joos, that American joos aren't considered real joos either. This begs a couple of questions:

- Do all pseudo-joos get depo provera or is it just Ethiopians?

- Do joos agree on whether being a joo is a question of race or religion?

Depo provera is a legally prescribed contraceptive here in the US. Were the Ethiopians going to the doctor looking for contraceptives and being prescribed a disproportionately high incidence of this drug? Or were they going for something else and being injected with the contraceptive and being told it was an immunization, or something like that?

According to the posted article exactly like that.

So Ethiopian joos aren't considered real joos in Israel. And I have heard that, at least among Israeli Orthodox joos, that American joos aren't considered real joos either. This begs a couple of questions:

Depo provera is a legally prescribed contraceptive here in the US. Were the Ethiopians going to the doctor looking for contraceptives and being prescribed a disproportionately high incidence of this drug? Or were they going for something else and being injected with the contraceptive and being told it was an immunization, or something like that?

I read the article 3 times and still haven't been able to cypher that. Maybe if I were smart enough to get into a T14 law school it might be more clear to me.

I read the article 3 times and still haven't been able to cypher that. Maybe if I were smart enough to get into a T14 law school it might be more clear to me.
Yeah I skipped law school but I did get all the way through the RIF program:

One of the Ethiopian women who was interviewed is quoted as saying: “They [medical staff] told us they are inoculations. We took it every three months. We said we didn’t want to.”

The Israelis are scared. And they have every right to be. While they are fighting to preserve their borders they are slowly being bred out of their country. How do you fight that?

:jawdrop:

What do you mean "their country"? Everyone has the right to immigrate anyywhere, and any objection to that is clearly xenophobia.

And what difference does it make if Ethiopians outbreed Israelis in Israel when all people are the same?

Shame on you, Christo. Shame on you.

Since Israel has enemies on every side of its nation not bordered by the Mediterranean, all more or less dedicated to wiping it off the map, I'm pretty sure they should take steps to ensure their survival. Still, this isn't a good way to go about it.

Where is msm on this? Google news search draws blanks.

The Independent is pretty mainstream, isn't it?That said, I really do hope this is all a hoax.

The Independent is pretty mainstream, isn't it?That said, I really do hope this is all a hoax.

I was thinking more USA msm, but I hear you.

So who ordered it to begin with?

Seems like a pertinent question. And who knew? Did we know? So many questions.
I swear I didn't know.

I' must have done something really wrong around here if some of you actually think I would spend any time defending this. What a terrible terrible story. Whoever was behind this needs to resign immediately and face charges. And if it turns out that the entire government is behind it, then #### them.

I' must have done something really wrong around here if some of you actually think I would spend any time defending this. What a terrible terrible story. Whoever was behind this needs to resign immediately and face charges. And if it turns out that the entire government is behind it, then #### them.

I knew you would respond appropriately.