What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Report suggests Ray Lewis used banned substance (1 Viewer)

I can't see this being a story, I bet its buried quick.The guy has been deified by the media. Move over, St. Tebow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yahoo had this story (with Lewis tied to it) more than two years ago:http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201101/tpg-exclusive-nfl-orders-raiders-head-coach-hue-jackson-end-ties-company-linked-bann

He probably did it, and it'll come out after the fact. And it won't matter because he's retired. It's not like the Ravens wins will be vacated because Ray Ray violated the substance abuse policy. And frankly given how competitive players are, and that he knew he was done after this season anyway, I bet a majority of players would've opted for the same course.

He probably did it, and it'll come out after the fact. And it won't matter because he's retired. It's not like the Ravens wins will be vacated because Ray Ray violated the substance abuse policy. And frankly given how competitive players are, and that he knew he was done after this season anyway, I bet a majority of players would've opted for the same course.
Agreed. In fact, I assume most players do stuff like this, and the fact that ex-players who are now part of the media always blow these stories off shows that they know stuff like this goes on all of the time.

If you're ray Lewis why not take every banned substance know to man. He knows he's retiring and he knows he won't get suspended during the playoffs. Inject yourself with anything and everything to make it back for one last playoff run.

If you're ray Lewis why not take every banned substance know to man. He knows he's retiring and he knows he won't get suspended during the playoffs. Inject yourself with anything and everything to make it back for one last playoff run.
Well, I doubt it ends up making a difference since the media just loves them some Ray Lewis, but if there is followup and proof that Lewis took a banned substance it could affect his HOF chances.Again, I don't think it would keep him out because the media loves Ray Lewis, but a potential murder and being a PED user SHOULD keep him out despite his stats and legacy IMO.

The CEO is a Male Stripper, selling junk while his junk is hnaging out, and these kids trust him? Naive

well, it's a shame the baltimore legacy has to be tainted by this --- any superbowl win will have to have some kind of note in parentheses now.you just have to wonder if he's been doing this his whole career, and that really casts a shadow over the ravens' successes.

well, it's a shame the baltimore legacy has to be tainted by this --- any superbowl win will have to have some kind of note in parentheses now.you just have to wonder if he's been doing this his whole career, and that really casts a shadow over the ravens' successes.
LOLDeer antler extract casts a shadow over anything in the NFL?Just - for example - look at Justin Smith. How did he go from an undersized disappointment as a 4-3 DE to an All-Pro 3-4 DE at age 30?As long as you aren't so stupid as to test positive for things you know will show up, you're on par with everyone else in the NFL.

If you are creative enough to use deer antler I think you should be allowed to get away with it. Hilarious.

This substance is only detected by blood tests and the NFL doesn't take or test blood.
IIRC, The players won't allow it in the CBA.
Yes and no. The new CBA actually calls for blood testing, but the NFLPA has blocked every single possible way of administering it. So the players run around getting good PR and Congress off their back claiming they agreed to blood testing while actively blocking the actual implementation.

Well, I doubt it ends up making a difference since the media just loves them some Ray Lewis, but if there is followup and proof that Lewis took a banned substance it could affect his HOF chances.Again, I don't think it would keep him out because the media loves Ray Lewis, but a potential murder and being a PED user SHOULD keep him out despite his stats and legacy IMO.
This isn't baseball. Everyone takes stuff in football and no one cares.

'Bigboy10182000 said:
'Steel Dillo said:
'Bigboy10182000 said:
This substance is only detected by blood tests and the NFL doesn't take or test blood.
IIRC, The players won't allow it in the CBA.
You're correct. Blood tests are the only way HGH can be found as well. It's easier just to assume everyone does it then be shocked at stuff like this.
:yes: I don't care what these guys take, as long as it's an even playing field and everyone involved consents to it, these guys are entertainers. It's not much different than an actress getting augmentation.

Only creatine and protein shake ... NFL is worst than MLB and we all know that.Non story IMO

If you are creative enough to use deer antler I think you should be allowed to get away with it. Hilarious.
Another interesting way to look at it is that loads of players have screws, rods, and cadaver tendons placed in their body during surgery because those foreign objects will help them heal faster and better so that they can get back on the field as soon as possible. Why are some foreign objects/substances allowed in the body as part of the healing process while others are not? Where's the line drawn?

Another interesting way to look at it is that loads of players have screws, rods, and cadaver tendons placed in their body during surgery because those foreign objects will help them heal faster and better so that they can get back on the field as soon as possible. Why are some foreign objects/substances allowed in the body as part of the healing process while others are not? Where's the line drawn?
The line is drawn where the league determines it. There's a bunch of stuff out there that is against the rules or borderline that most people haven't heard of. I agree that there is a larger discussion to be had about what is considered legal vs. illegal though, because it is going to be harder to determine what is legal and it will probably evolve over time. A type of blood doping in cycling involves injecting yourself with your own blood so technically you are not taking anything other than your own fresh blood. Is getting lasik eye surgery an enhancement if you have bad eyes? What about if you have 20/20 and it improves your vision beyond normal visibility?

I really don't pay any attention to all these banned substances stories, but my guess would be the banned substances are able to either augment performance, or mask a substance which does so, while rods, screws, and cadaver parts merely repair a player -- how did you miss tooth implants?I don't think they get bionic limbs, or anything like that.that's probably where the line is drawn.

That's why steroids and everything else should be legal in every sport, IMO.

Because screws and rods and cadaver tendons don't make you capable of things you couldn't do when healthy.Getting back to 100% is OK. Getting to 110% is not. That's where the line is drawn.When everyone is cheating, it does kinda cease to be cheating. The problem is that we too quickly generalize and say everyone is doing it when not everyone is. And in doing so you make the guys who don't want to dope have to dope to keep competitive.

Maybe he just somehow recovered from a 6-9 month injury in 10 weeks at 37 because God willed it.

What I want to know is why nobody cares if your average football player looks a cross between Lurch, Fat Albert and Bain? Baseball writers get their panties in a knot over guys doing what NFL players have been doing since the mid 60's? If football writers had the same moral code in voting for the hall would any player less qb's and kickers make the hall that played after 1965?

What I want to know is why nobody cares if your average football player looks a cross between Lurch, Fat Albert and Bain? Baseball writers get their panties in a knot over guys doing what NFL players have been doing since the mid 60's? If football writers had the same moral code in voting for the hall would any player less qb's and kickers make the hall that played after 1965?
You are so far off base, I don't even know where to start.What makes you think QBs and Kickers are clean?

You are so far off base, I don't even know where to start.What makes you think QBs and Kickers are clean?
More qb's and kickers from the 80's on down. Looking at most kickers today many are on the same things as the other players. I know about drugs in the sport as I have inlaw that had a cup of coffee in the CFL and played for years in semi-pro ball. He said greenies (in the mid 60's) were distributed to players like beer flows in the baseball clubhouse.

It's interesting to see the overall tone of this thread be "meh, everyone in football does something" vs the Richard Sherman thread whose overall tone seemed to be "cheater got off on technicality ".

Because screws and rods and cadaver tendons don't make you capable of things you couldn't do when healthy.Getting back to 100% is OK. Getting to 110% is not. That's where the line is drawn.
How do you assess 100%? How do you determine that the player crossed over the line of what he used to be? And, if you can determine that, how can you definitely attribute it to the foreign substance rather than hard work and refocus in rehab?There's also the perception (though no definitive analysis to support it) that some surgeries may also get you over that hard to assess 100% of what you previously were figure. Here's an article from a few months back. It's baseball related but the theory applies to other sports as medicine and surgery continue to improve.

Tommy John surgery: The next student steroid?

When it comes to high school and college sports, young athletes often yearn for bigger muscles to enhance their performance.  But for student baseball pitchers, strength isn’t so much the goal as it is speed – throwing speed, that is.

Now, student athletes looking for a way to get an extra boost in their pitching arm have been putting their hopes in an elective surgery called ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) reconstruction – more famously known as Tommy John surgery.

However, according to one doctor, misconceptions surround Tommy John surgery, cautioning it isn’t necessarily the miraculous savior that student athletes think it is.

“They believe the surgery can allow you to throw more effectively,” Dr. Christopher Ahmad, an associate professor of orthopedic surgery at Columbia

University and head team physician for the New York Yankees, told FoxNews.com.  “It’s not much different than thinking performance enhancing drugs can make you throw harder.”

Surgery risks, recovery

Named after former Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Tommy John, the reconstructive elbow surgery became famous in 1974 when John damaged his UCL in the middle of a great 13 - 3 season.  With no options available and desperate to keep playing baseball, John approached Dr. Frank Jobe – an orthopedic surgeon and special advisor to the Dodgers – begging him to come up with a surgery to save his pitching arm.

Jobe eventually figured out a way to replace John’s injured UCL with a tendon graft from his forearm.  Once John underwent the surgery and fully recovered, he returned to baseball in 1976, ultimately winning more games after his surgery than before.

According to Ahmad, because of John and others like him who have had successful careers post-UCL reconstruction, student athletes are starting to get the wrong idea about Tommy John surgery.  In a recent study published by Ahmad in The Physician and Sportsmedicine, 50 percent of student athletes believed the surgery should be performed in absence of injury in order to improve performance – a mindset, he said, that could prove to be dangerous.

FULL ARTICLE

The line is drawn where the league determines it.
Agreed. And the league has the right to draw that line where they want to.I think, if left to the players, most would want the league to ban performance enhancing drugs; and many of the players who are currently taking PEDs do so because they feel it's necessary to compete against other players who are taking PEDs. In an ideal world where they knew no other player was taking a PED there incentive to do so would sharply drop.

It's interesting to see the overall tone of this thread be "meh, everyone in football does something" vs the Richard Sherman thread whose overall tone seemed to be "cheater got off on technicality ".
One tested positive for a banned substance.The other is based on rumors.

Interesting Grantland article about PEDs...LINKI like Bill Simmons and think this article is dead-on.
Fantastic article. One of the best articles he's written. I hope he continues to use his clout at ESPN to get them talking about this stuff and force pro sports to do something.And IMO, this is 95% the fault of the athletes. They're the ones cheating and they're the ones hiding behind the unions to oppose more rigorous testing.

'sho nuff said:
'mad sweeney said:
One tested positive for a banned substance.The other is based on rumors.
Thank you for the recap. However, that doesn't affect my point.

Users who are viewing this thread