What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moss says he's Greatest WR Ever (1 Viewer)

Do you agree with Moss?

• Total voters
No, but he could have been. Physical abilities, talent, yes he's arguably the best ever. IMO, there is more required than that to be the best ever though. Work ethic, teammate, leadership, character... Qualities Jerry Rice blows Moss away in.

If he didn't have the primadonna attitude, he COULD HAVE been the best WR ever. Now...top 5 or 10.

If we are measuring the better player, impact on a defense, talent, etc... it is of course Moss.If we are measuring careers, stats, etc ... it is of course Rice.I'd take Moss if I were drafting between the two in their primes.

I was starting to doubt you guys based on the posts above...could you really be that confused? Clearly Rice is the best WR of all time and it's not even debatable.

Tie between Rice and Moss
But then I saw the poll results. Almost 10 to 1 got it right. Totally redeemed.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we are measuring the better player, impact on a defense, talent, etc... it is of course Moss.If we are measuring careers, stats, etc ... it is of course Rice.I'd take Moss if I were drafting between the two in their primes.
Which "prime" are you referring to for Rice...When he was 25, and had 22 TDs in 12 games?When he was 29, in the middle of seven years of 1200 yards/10+ TDs?When he was 33, and went for 122-1848-15?Or maybe even when was 40, and went for 92-1211-7?

Everyone voting no here would take prime Randy over anyone else if given the choice of having any WR suit up for their team at the start of the playoffs.

Which "prime" are you referring to for Rice...When he was 25, and had 22 TDs in 12 games?When he was 29, in the middle of seven years of 1200 yards/10+ TDs?When he was 33, and went for 122-1848-15?Or maybe even when was 40, and went for 92-1211-7?
:goodposting: :goodposting: This basically sums it up for me.

If you are looking for a fight on Jerry's stats, you picked the wrong guy/post.Thankfully you chose not to debate talent and impact on the field, which is why I draft Moss today, and probably Calvin a few years from now.

If you are looking for a fight on Jerry's stats, you picked the wrong guy/post.Thankfully you chose not to debate talent and impact on the field, which is why I draft Moss today, and probably Calvin a few years from now.
I guess I'm one of those old fashioned guys who thinks that talent and impact on the field generally show up in the stats. The talents I look for in a wide receiver are the ability to get open, the ability to turn positive plays into touchdowns, and the ability to make tough catches. I can't name a WR who was better at those things than Rice.

Because Rice didn't have an impact on the field. Opposing teams probably didn't look at the stats or how well he was doing until Moss was drafted.

Everyone voting no here would take prime Randy over anyone else if given the choice of having any WR suit up for their team at the start of the playoffs.
Is that 2001 Prime Randy who had 2 receptions for 18 yards in a 41-0 loss to the Giants? Or 2004 Prime Randy who had 3 receptions for 51 yards in a 27-14 loss to the Eagles? Or 2007 Prime Randy who had a total of 2 receptions for 32 yards in the first two playoff games?In the playoffs, Moss has averaged 3.7 receptions, 67 yards, and has 10 TDs in 14 games.Rice has averaged 5.2 receptions, 77 yards, and has 22 TDS in 29 games, and that includes 0/0/0 at age 42 for Seattle. Oh, and he has three Super Bowl rings and a Super Bowl MVP. What possible argument is there for choosing a physical freak diva over the greatest WR of all time in the playoffs?

One of the smartest things Moss has done in his career is to not talk to reporters. I guess he had to now that he is again in the SB limelight.I would rather hear Moss talking about how much he wants to win the SB than hearing him talk about his game as if he is already done.I think Jerry is funny for simply saying look at the numbers, with I am sure his cheesy Jerry Rice grin also. :football:

There were points in his career where moss was harder to defend than rice, which is more than most other guys can say.

Getting open and catching the ball are the primary talents I care about in my WRs, and nobody had more talent in these categories than Rice.

Getting open and catching the ball are the primary talents I care about in my WRs, and nobody had more talent in these categories than Rice.
Stinky bait, perhaps other fish will bite. Good luck with that.

SacBob, I love ya but I want this guy. I wouldn't mind "slumming" & getting Moss as a consolation prize if Rice were gone, though.

Moss is 3rd all time in yardsRice 22,895Owens 15,934Moss 15,292Moss is 2nd all time in TDsRice 197Moss 156Owens 153Moss is 9th all time in receptionsRice 1549(9) Moss 932Moss is 16th all time in rec yards/game(1) Calvin Johnson 85.2(5) Rice 75.6(16) Moss 70.1Rice played 19 seasons (injured for most of 1997), Moss has played 13 (was retired for 2011).IMO, he's the 2nd best receiver to ever play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides Rice, who would you put ahead of Moss on the all time list? Owens? Tim Brown? Harrison? Cris Carter? Not too many players jump out that a strong argument could be made for.

My favorite part is Jerry felt he needed to come on ESPN and say how Moss is wrong.... No Rice isn't a prima Donna

Besides Rice, who would you put ahead of Moss on the all time list? Owens? Tim Brown? Harrison? Cris Carter? Not too many players jump out that a strong argument could be made for.
I wouldn't put him above Moss, but as one of the resident Seahawks fans here I'll certainly offer up Steve Largent as a name that should be in the discussion. He held many of the records that Jerry Rice broke.

I think Randy Moss is the most talented wide receiver to ever play the game. It's too bad he didn't use that talent to become the best wide receiver to ever play the game.

Resume and talent may be #2 all-time. But if 32 GM's were drafting all-time teams not sure whether he's even a top 10 WR picked. Why would you draft him if you could take another HOF WR who won't detract from the rest of the team?If we are throwing stats out the window, which many seem to be, and talking pure game-changing talent who would take Moss over Calvin to pair with their stud QB?

Users who are viewing this thread