What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Seems Like Everyone Has Already Crowned the 49ers (1 Viewer)

Who Do You Think Will Win the Superbowl?

• Total voters

LawFitz

Footballguy
Even forgetting about the Ray Lewis inspirational factor, the Ravens have a solid team in all phases, just like the Niners.I personally see this as slightly tilted in favor of the Niners w/o the Ray Ray factor, but with it, I give a slight nod to the black birds. Curious to see what percentage of this forum picks the Ravens to win. My guess is sub 30%.

I heard that in Vegas 70% of the money is getting put on the Ravens, so apparently a number of people think the Niners aren't going to run away with it.

I'm a Niner homer and I don't see it as clear cut. While I think the Niners have the better team, the fact that Baltimore just beat Denver and New England on the road means they're peaking at the right time. To put it in perspective, in '95, I was confidently crowning the Niners before the game. San Diego had no business being in that game. This game is nowhere near that much of a mismatch.

Yeah if it wasn't for Lewis the rest of the team wouldn't have even made the trip. They will definitely win only because he is retiring. Maybe next year 49ers.PS-Nobody gives a crap about Lewis retiring except for hack reporters looking for something to write about. And hack writers make up 95% of the writers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there's a "Ray factor" at all. That's just pablum the media doles out to pass the time before the game. When it starts, Ray Lewis will still be past his prime playing an offense with many layers. The fact that Vernon Davis got involved in the Atlanta game bodes poorly for Baltimore. It's just another thing they have to deal with.But the 49ers defense is overrated. Baltimore can definitely move the ball and score on them. If they play up to their potential, it's a toss up. If the SF defense plays inspired or the Ravens come out flat, I don't see how they stay in it much past halftime.

Yeah if it wasn't for Lewis the rest of the team wouldn't have even made the trip. They will definitely win only because he is retiring. Maybe next year 49ers.PS-Nobody gives a crap about Lewis retiring except for hack reporters looking for something to write about. And hack writers make up 95% of the writers.
I disagree. Emotion plays a big role in sports, particularly physical ones. And I think the Ravens players give a huge crap about Lewis' retirement.

The Ravens may win but I don't think the Ray Lewis inspirational factor will have anything to do with it. The media loves to play up the emotional aspect of it but that all goes out the window after kickoff. At that point it will come down to which team executes better and of course, turnovers.

Yeah if it wasn't for Lewis the rest of the team wouldn't have even made the trip. They will definitely win only because he is retiring. Maybe next year 49ers.

PS-Nobody gives a crap about Lewis retiring except for hack reporters looking for something to write about. And hack writers make up 95% of the writers.
I disagree. Emotion plays a big role in sports, particularly physical ones. And I think the Ravens players give a huge crap about Lewis' retirement.
If players don't give everything to the Super Bowl already, they're screwed. I don't know how much more they could give.

Part of me just wants to say that the AFC isn't very good. I mean beating Broncos/Patriots/Manning/Brady "sounds" impressive, but when you peel back the layers...1) The "impressive" 11 game win streak of the broncos featured only 2 opponents with winning records2) Niners were decidedly waxing the Patriots 31-8 in Foxboro3) For the past NINE seasons, the AFC champs were either the Colts, the Pats, or the Steelers. Manning took his show to Denver, Steelers were an unimpressive .500, and everybody's already talking about the demise of the Belichek/Brady dynasty. Is it because the Ravens are THAT good, or because these 3 just aren't that good anymore?

Part of me just wants to say that the AFC isn't very good. I mean beating Broncos/Patriots/Manning/Brady "sounds" impressive, but when you peel back the layers...1) The "impressive" 11 game win streak of the broncos featured only 2 opponents with winning records2) Niners were decidedly waxing the Patriots 31-8 in Foxboro3) For the past NINE seasons, the AFC champs were either the Colts, the Pats, or the Steelers. Manning took his show to Denver, Steelers were an unimpressive .500, and everybody's already talking about the demise of the Belichek/Brady dynasty. Is it because the Ravens are THAT good, or because these 3 just aren't that good anymore?
For #2, it was actually 31-3 and NE outscored SF 31-10 the rest of the game. SF got a lot of nice plays on D and special teams to go up by 28. I watched the game and out of SF's 6 fumbles, they only lost one and one of them ended up getting picked up by Gore to run in for a TD. A few lucky bounces go NE's way after they gave the game away and I think NE would have won. I wouldn't point to SF's lead as them waxing NE. NE put up 520 offensive yards on SF.If you watched the AFC Championship game, that was a game were Baltimore dominated every facet and held NE's offense in check. If Baltimore plays D like that, I would be shocked if they don't win the game. I don't think SF's D is as great and it has been exposed in the playoffs like they were last year. It has been SF's offense that has won their playoff games this year and last year.

I agree, but emotion can be a two-edged sword. The Ravens have been riding that emotion for 3 weeks now, and it will be almost a month by the time the play the game. The emotion could give them an "edge," but it could just as likely cause them to be "spent" when they play the game.

2) Niners were decidedly waxing the Patriots 31-8 in Foxboro
The Atlanta Falcons, a team that many saw as "pretenders", were waxing the Niners 17-0. See how it works?
You missed the point, which was that the Patriots team that the Ravens beat just wasn't that good (not to mention they were minus a starting TE, corner, and RB). Both the Pats and Broncos feasted off weak divisions. And yes, the Falcons WERE WAXING the niners, there's no argument against that. But what does that have to do with the perceived "impressiveness" of beating the Patriots?The NFC West was 3-1 against the Patriots. Aside from owning the Texans, what else have the Patriots done? What have the Broncos done? Point is, the AFC is just kinda weak.

Part of me just wants to say that the AFC isn't very good. I mean beating Broncos/Patriots/Manning/Brady "sounds" impressive, but when you peel back the layers...

1) The "impressive" 11 game win streak of the broncos featured only 2 opponents with winning records

3) For the past NINE seasons, the AFC champs were either the Colts, the Pats, or the Steelers. Manning took his show to Denver, Steelers were an unimpressive .500, and everybody's already talking about the demise of the Belichek/Brady dynasty. Is it because the Ravens are THAT good, or because these 3 just aren't that good anymore?
For #2, it was actually 31-3 and NE outscored SF 31-10 the rest of the game. SF got a lot of nice plays on D and special teams to go up by 28. I watched the game and out of SF's 6 fumbles, they only lost one and one of them ended up getting picked up by Gore to run in for a TD. A few lucky bounces go NE's way after they gave the game away and I think NE would have won. I wouldn't point to SF's lead as them waxing NE. NE put up 520 offensive yards on SF.If you watched the AFC Championship game, that was a game were Baltimore dominated every facet and held NE's offense in check. If Baltimore plays D like that, I would be shocked if they don't win the game. I don't think SF's D is as great and it has been exposed in the playoffs like they were last year. It has been SF's offense that has won their playoff games this year and last year.
How exactly do you "dominate every facet" of the game and go into half time trailing? :confused:

'chinawildman said:
If we peel back the layers on the 49ers...1) they have given up 90 points in their last 2 1/2 quarters of football away from home. 2) the 49ers were 0-1-1 against the Rams. 3) the Falcons were considered by many to be a fraud, and the Packers had too many holes, so are the 49ers really THAT good, or were their two opponents in the playoffs just not impressive? See, it works both ways. ;)

If this were a 7 game series I think the niners walk away with it. But the great thing about football is that anything can happen in 1 game.I can't wait to see what happens :popcorn:

'chinawildman said:
'stbugs said:
'chinawildman said:
Part of me just wants to say that the AFC isn't very good. I mean beating Broncos/Patriots/Manning/Brady "sounds" impressive, but when you peel back the layers...

1) The "impressive" 11 game win streak of the broncos featured only 2 opponents with winning records

3) For the past NINE seasons, the AFC champs were either the Colts, the Pats, or the Steelers. Manning took his show to Denver, Steelers were an unimpressive .500, and everybody's already talking about the demise of the Belichek/Brady dynasty. Is it because the Ravens are THAT good, or because these 3 just aren't that good anymore?
How exactly do you "dominate every facet" of the game and go into half time trailing? :confused:
Did you miss the 21-0 score in the second half? How exactly do you wax someone winning a game by 7 when you had a 28 point lead and they made a bunch of mistakes and you lucked out to only have 1 in 6 fumbles become turnovers? Do you watch complete games or just one half? I watched the whole 49er/NE game and the NE/Baltimore game and IMHO Baltimore looked better. Baltimore won by 15 and held the NE offense to 13 points or 21 less than SF. If they kept playing both games another quarter, Baltimore wins easy, SF, not sure. That is why I consider it waxing.LOL at the RB/TE being out argument agains Baltimore. Ridley had 18 carries against Baltimore and only 9 against SF and Gronk didn't play against SF, so how is that even an argument in your mind that SF somehow played a better NE team. NE still put up 520 yards against SF.

Not trying to say SF isn't good, but if you actually watch a complete game it helps you see more. I stand by my comment, if Baltimore's D plays like they did last week, I think they win.

'chinawildman said:
If we peel back the layers on the 49ers...1) they have given up 90 points in their last 2 1/2 quarters of football away from home. 2) the 49ers were 0-1-1 against the Rams. 3) the Falcons were considered by many to be a fraud, and the Packers had too many holes, so are the 49ers really THAT good, or were their two opponents in the playoffs just not impressive? See, it works both ways. ;)
:goodposting:

'chinawildman said:

If we peel back the layers on the 49ers...1) they have given up 90 points in their last 2 1/2 quarters of football away from home.

2) the 49ers were 0-1-1 against the Rams.

3) the Falcons were considered by many to be a fraud, and the Packers had too many holes, so are the 49ers really THAT good, or were their two opponents in the playoffs just not impressive?

See, it works both ways. ;)
:confused:

'chinawildman said:
'Dr. Octopus said:
'chinawildman said:
The Atlanta Falcons, a team that many saw as "pretenders", were waxing the Niners 17-0. See how it works?
You missed the point, which was that the Patriots team that the Ravens beat just wasn't that good (not to mention they were minus a starting TE, corner, and RB). Both the Pats and Broncos feasted off weak divisions. And yes, the Falcons WERE WAXING the niners, there's no argument against that. But what does that have to do with the perceived "impressiveness" of beating the Patriots?The NFC West was 3-1 against the Patriots. Aside from owning the Texans, what else have the Patriots done? What have the Broncos done? Point is, the AFC is just kinda weak.
Because the Patriots closed the gap in that game, but you seemed to think that only the beggining counted.

'chinawildman said:

If we peel back the layers on the 49ers...1) they have given up 90 points in their last 2 1/2 quarters of football away from home.

3) the Falcons were considered by many to be a fraud, and the Packers had too many holes, so are the 49ers really THAT good, or were their two opponents in the playoffs just not impressive?

31 in the 2nd half at NE42 at Seattle

24 at Atlanta

I stand corrected. It's 97, not 90.

'chinawildman said:

24 at Atlanta

You accidentally type 2.5 quarters, not 2.5 games.

'chinawildman said:
Sure, it's not like I said the niners don't have problems of their own, but that's not the point here.My original post was addressing the relative strength (or lack thereof) of the AFC. People are putting alot of weight behind the wins against brady and manning, but I think those teams are more bark than bite and still riding on the names of their QBs. Think about it, these #1 and #2 seeds in the AFC went a combined 4-4 against their NFC opponents. #1 and 2 seeds in the NFC went 8-0 against the AFC.In fact the entire NFC only had 3 teams that didn't finish 7-9 or better. That's 3 out of 16 teams. The Rams at 7-8-1 have a better record than all but 7 AFC teams while playing in a tougher division and conference. You may say the Falcons are fraud, but the numbers say the real frauds are in the AFC.

The Ravens will win 42-14 the Ravens are a better team and I don't even see it bring close other than Vernon Davis who should the Ravens fear on that offense

'chinawildman said:
'stbugs said:
'chinawildman said:

Did you miss the 21-0 score in the second half? How exactly do you wax someone winning a game by 7 when you had a 28 point lead and they made a bunch of mistakes and you lucked out to only have 1 in 6 fumbles become turnovers? Do you watch complete games or just one half? I watched the whole 49er/NE game and the NE/Baltimore game and IMHO Baltimore looked better. Baltimore won by 15 and held the NE offense to 13 points or 21 less than SF. If they kept playing both games another quarter, Baltimore wins easy, SF, not sure. That is why I consider it waxing.LOL at the RB/TE being out argument agains Baltimore. Ridley had 18 carries against Baltimore and only 9 against SF and Gronk didn't play against SF, so how is that even an argument in your mind that SF somehow played a better NE team. NE still put up 520 yards against SF.

Not trying to say SF isn't good, but if you actually watch a complete game it helps you see more. I stand by my comment, if Baltimore's D plays like they did last week, I think they win.
I wasn't trying to say which win over the Pats was more impressive. I was trying to say that a win over the Patriots in Foxboro doesn't mean what it used to. I mean c'mon the cardinals beat the Patriots in foxboro this yr... THE CARDINALS.

fans put too much stock in the most recent game played. they think momentum is too important. The 49ers won a close game to get here. The ravens blew out the patriots at home. So people start to think the ravens are the bet. Betting and the nfl isnt that easy. in fact this is exactly how bettors get burned.49ers are the bet.

If the games the week before sent them to the super bowl, the 49ers crushed the Packers and the Ravens barely beat the Broncos, the line would probably be -9 niners.

The Ravens will win 42-14 the Ravens are a better team and I don't even see it bring close other than Vernon Davis who should the Ravens fear on that offense
Culliver really hurt your feelings, didn't he?FWIW, I agree with your post.

The firing of Cam Cameron is mixed bag for the Ravens offense. Since the firing, Joe Flaccos td / int ratio is much better. But his completion percentage is way down and the Ravens scoring average has actually dropped.But the Ravens defense will get run over by the 49ers offense.The Ravens offense will have to have a career day to win this.

'chinawildman said:

24 at Atlanta

You accidentally type 2.5 quarters, not 2.5 games.
:wall: Damn it. My point still stands, however, typos notwithstanding. :lol:

My original post was addressing the relative strength (or lack thereof) of the AFC. People are putting alot of weight behind the wins against brady and manning, but I think those teams are more bark than bite and still riding on the names of their QBs. Think about it, these #1 and #2 seeds in the AFC went a combined 4-4 against their NFC opponents. #1 and 2 seeds in the NFC went 8-0 against the AFC.In fact the entire NFC only had 3 teams that didn't finish 7-9 or better. That's 3 out of 16 teams. The Rams at 7-8-1 have a better record than all but 7 AFC teams while playing in a tougher division and conference. You may say the Falcons are fraud, but the numbers say the real frauds are in the AFC.
I had to go double check everything you posted here because I didn't think there was any way it could be true.It's true.

Can't discount any team. Most pundits had Denver crowed a few weeks ago. Then it was NE. #### even SF was already left for dead after they got wrecked by Seattle. I just want a game that will be entertaining. We've been lucky these past few Super Bowls being fairly competitive. The trend continues IMO.

People play for themselves, nobody else. It doesn't matter at all. If they aren't amped up to play in the super bowl, they aren't going to care about Lewis retiring. It's not a preseason game where they aren't interested. I mean it's the dumbest thing I've heard.

The firing of Cam Cameron is mixed bag for the Ravens offense. Since the firing, Joe Flaccos td / int ratio is much better. But his completion percentage is way down and the Ravens scoring average has actually dropped.But the Ravens defense will get run over by the 49ers offense.The Ravens offense will have to have a career day to win this.
Don't you think that is what they will have?IMO with smith healthy this would be even. Right now the niners front 7 is outmatched by the ravens line with leach. They will get beat over the top. Unless flacco starts flacco'ing. Mckinnie matches great with a.smith. the niners safeties are average cover guys. The 49ers have not played a rushing offense this good too. I think the ravens offense has the advantage. But, then again, these two teams are symmetric, so to speak. Baltimore's defense has the same role that the 49ers offense has: Making big plays. Ravens o and 49ers d are dominant. I think that's the only difference. Two sides of the same coin?Yes, I did say Baltimore has a dominant offense.This game will be won by whichever of the two dominant units can do their job better I.e. if the 49ers defense can prevent the ravens offense from scoring points. The ravens defense is exponentially better than every defense this 49ers offense has played so far outside of Seattle. They will make plays against the offense and we've seen that the 49ers are capable of slow starts and turnovers with kaepernick. So let's not crown em yet because, unlike the falcons, the ravens can run the ball and won't give time up 17.

I heard that in Vegas 70% of the money is getting put on the Ravens, so apparently a number of people think the Niners aren't going to run away with it.
Goal of oddsmakers in Vegas is to get as close to a 50/50 split on money in between the two teams (since they get that sweet vigorish). If there really was 70% action on the Ravens, you'd see the line move. And even if that was true, it only means that there is group of people that think the Ravens will win outright or Niners will win by more than the spread.. and not 70% believe Ravens to win outright.

Flacco will throw interceptions.
Much like he did against the Pats? Or the Broncos? Or the Colts?I am not a big Flacco fan but interceptions have not been what he has thrown in the playoffs. He may buck that trend here in the Super Bowl but I am not sure what would make you confident in that.

Users who are viewing this thread