What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2014 Draft Prospects (1 Viewer)

Surprised Cooper didn't get picked. Would be happy to trade a player like Denard, Gillislee, Randle, or Bailey for him.

Surprised Cooper didn't get picked. Would be happy to trade a player like Denard, Gillislee, Randle, or Bailey for him.
I was suprised as well. In a mock draft about a month prior to this draft taking place I projected him to go at pick 1.03.

Guess people were scared off of the minimum 2 year wait for a WR. Although a number of RB's went high that will have to wait at least 2 years for.

Also, both EJ Manuel and Geno Smith went before Teddy Bridgewater....thought that was interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
My current rankings:

QB:

• Bridgewater
  • Mariota
  • Boyd
  • Hundley
  • Renner
I think people are really overlooking McCarron.
This is why I hate rankings for next year right now. There is so much more upside with Manziel, Mariota, Boyd, Hundley, and even Braxton Miller and to a much lesser degree Logan Thomas...because they run. For fantasy purposes, right now, a calculated dice roll on one of them over McCarron is the right move imho. When all is said and done I think McCarron and Fales are above most of them and Kevin Hogan in a couple of years too. However, unless they blossom into elite passers their fantasy upside is not as high as the runners. I'm in the midst of a developmental draft right now and I would not have considered Braxton or Logan over any of those 3, but the rest I would have.
Fales is the most overlooked. He's still pretty raw and might not be able to start right away, but he has 'it' when I watch him play. I think Belichick has him penciled in right now as Brady's replacement.

from Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mel Kiper ranks USC's Silas Redd as the top senior RB in the 2014 class.
Redd checks in as the fourth running back overall. "Redd isn't what I'd call an explosive runner, but he does a very good job of running through contact and grinding out extra yards," Kiper writes. "He ran a little dinged up toward the end of last season, and should be even better in 2013. When he takes on contact, Redd runs bigger than his listed 200 pounds." We are more worried about his ball security issues.

Source: ESPN
The Sideline View's Lance Zierlein believes Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota should be mentioned in the discussion for the No. 1 pick in 2014.
Zierlein mentions the popular choices of Jadeveon Clowney and Teddy Bridgewater as well. Mariota's natural tools are outstanding and he fits the new generation of quarterback prospects, however, it is a realistic question to ask if he will continue to improve at a steady pace without Chip Kelly.

Source: Lance Zierlein on Twitter
Oregon junior De'Anthony Thomas ranks as Mel Kiper's top draft-eligible RB for the 2014 Draft.
"Is he a running back?" Kiper asks. "He's a little bit of everything, but he's a running back on my board because handing him the ball is the quickest way to get it to him, and getting him the ball is the most important thing... Thomas will never be a bulk-carry runner, and he doesn't have the route-running skills of a guy like Tavon Austin, who he might be compared to based on the burst." Oregon will likely be running a similar offense in 2013, but it will be interesting to see if anyone takes a step back after the school lost Chip Kelly to the NFL.

ESPN's Mel Kiper considers Texas A&M redshirt sophomore Johnny Manziel as the No. 3 draft-eligible QB for the 2014 Draft.
"Let's be clear from the start: Johnny Football isn't just a product of a great offense or great blocking," Kiper writes. "He has very good instincts and vision, and flat out makes plays. He doesn't have a big arm, but he anticipates well, and uses his legs not to just to run, but to extend the passing game." Teddy Bridgewater and Tajh Boyd rank ahead of Manziel.

ESPN's Mel Kiper believes Alabama's A.J. McCarron is the No. 2 ranked QB among the senior class.
Clemson's Tajh Boyd ranks as the top senior prospect at the position. "But give McCarron credit, because he really can stretch defenses with his arm, and the fact that he doesn't make costly mistakes shouldn't just be labeled as a case where he's not allowed to take his shots," Kiper writes. David Fales, Logan Thomas, and Derek Carr round out the top five.

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl believes Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota has loads of upside but needs major development.
Specifically, that development needs to be in the form of mechanics and footwork as a thrower. "Mariota misses strike zone and forces WRs to adjust too much limiting their YAC," Weidl tweeted. "All can improve if able to balance platform in lower half. Mariota will be very appealing for ZR teams. Decisive facilitator. Also long strider that can ruin pursuit angles when reaching 2nd level."

Source: Kevin Weidl on Twitter
Missouri will likely run senior QB James Franklin less often during the 2013 season.
Offensive coordinator Josh Henson "said he's reluctant to see his quarterback get exposed to too many hits." Franklin has gone through his share of injuries, including a shoulder surgery that limited his offseason work prior to the 2012 season. Henson and the rest of Missouri's coaches better hope for improved offensive line play.

Source: Terez Taylor on Twitter
NFL.com's Gil Brandt believes Cornell's Jeff Mathews is the best non-FBS senior QB.
ESPN's Mel Kiper talked up Mathews last September, so it will be fun to watch his evaluation play out compared to top FBS quarterback prospects. There's a chance Mathews ultimately ends up with a higher grade than former Harvard quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who was drafted in the seventh-round.

Source: Gil Brandt on Twitter
Mississippi State senior RB LaDarius Perkins could turn some heads during his final season, according to CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.
"Perkins has outstanding plant-and-go acceleration, doing a nice job side-stepping defenders with strong footwork to make clean cuts," Brugler writes. "He has a compactly-built upper body and keeps his legs pumping with balance to pick up chunks of yards after initial contact. Perkins' vision runs hot/cold too often, and he struggles to improvise at times when the hole isn't there, but he has the lateral agility and quick feet to scamper from defenders."

Source: CBS Sports
NFL.com's Gil Brandt ranks Clemson's Tajh Boyd as the No. 3 senior QB heading into the 2013 season.
Aaron Murray and A.J. McCarron rank above Boyd. We are big fans of Boyd's, as he greatly improved between his sophomore and junior seasons in terms of pocket movement and ability to handle pressure. In previous seasons, Boyd would consistently fall of his throws in the face of a pass rush, but he was able to step up and test vertically much more in 2012.

and a few more from Rotoworld:

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl believes Oregon junior TE Colt Lyerla needs polish.
Weidl did have more positives than negatives for the Duck receiving tight end. "But man he has deep pool of talent that can be tapped into," Weidl added. "Big time athleticism/explosiveness on tape." Along with Washington's Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Lyerla will make noise as part of the junior tight end class.

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Notre Dame senior WR TJ Jones could emerge as a legitimate NFL prospect in 2013.
"Jones has excellent footwork in his routes and sets up his moves well, doing a nice job working back to the ball to give his quarterback a clean target," Brugler writes. "He fights for the ball and shows strong hands to come down with throws away from his body, making some tough catches look easy. Jones has an accurate sense of his surroundings with good shake after the catch to slither around defenders and explode upfield."

NFL.com's Gil Brandt ranks Georgia's Aaron Murray as the top senior QB.
Alabama's A.J. McCarron checked in at No. 2, with Tajh Boyd, Derek Carr of Fresno State and David Fales rounding out the top five. We would move Boyd and Fales higher on the list, but plenty can change in the next year in terms of evaluations for this quarterback class.

Oklahoma senior RB Roy Finch has shown an increased level of maturity this spring, according to coaches.
"(Roy is) doing what we're asking him to do in the meeting room, on the practice field, or in the classroom, in the weight room," offensive coordinator Josh Heupel said. "He's maturing as a person." Head coach Bob Stoops added, "(Finch) really has played well every day, so it's been exciting and good to see Roy doing what he's doing." We are fans of Finch's talent, and he was been criminally underused in 2012, but the off-field immaturity likely played a large role.

Source: News OK
CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes UNC senior QB Bryn Renner could emerge as a legitimate NFL talent during the 2013 season.
Brugler attempted to name a senior prospect at every position who could drastically change their perceived current evaluation. "While he won't "wow" with his physical tools, Renner is an intriguing quarterback prospect who might surprise as a senior if he continues to improve," Brugler writes.

QB guru George Whitfield believes Clemson senior Tajh Boyd is the most complete QB in college football today.
"I think he brings the most to the table in terms of tools and intangibles," Whitfield said. "I think he is the most capable of hurting a defensive coordinator's gameplan... I am not saying he is this man, but in a lot of ways it is like watching Aaron Rodgers play." Whitfield went on to discuss how defenses have to "pick their poison" in regards to pressuring Boyd, since he can beat them with his feet, or sit back and be picked apart with his arm.

Source: NFL.com
Speaking with NFL Network's Bucky Brooks, QB guru George Whitfield believes Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel is still a work in progress.
"In terms of his position, he is just scratching the surface." Whitfield said. "He is working towards getting bigger and stronger. At one point this spring he was up to 212, now he's at 208 pounds." Whitfield went on to add that at the end of the season, Manziel weighed 191 pounds. They discussed his improvements mechanically, but Whitfield admitted that Manziel would not be prepared for the NFL level right now. We agree and do not take it as a strong criticism and instead appreciate the honesty.

Source: NFL.com

Went to the SJSU/Stanford game last year. Had no idea who Fales was going into the game, but he played really well and kept the Spartans in it. Very accurate and seems to have the "it" factor. If he checks out from a size/arm strength standpoint he has a chance to be a solid QB prospect.
I finally watched all clips of his game - am I crazy to think he would have been the #1 QB in this year's draft? The more I watch of him the more impressed I get.

jonboltz said:
UKColt said:
Our rookie draft allows you to take 1 devy pick at any point in the first 4 rounds, so we have to factor in next years player into current value.

I was amazed that in a 2QB league, 14 team league, Bridgewater lasted to me at 2.05. Manziel was taken at 2.04, which I think is madness. Yes he's exciting, but Bridgewater is a far more NFL ready QB.
Crazytalk. Should have been 1.01-1.05.
Here are players that went before him:

Devy players already claimed: Barkley, Wilson, Lattimore, Woods, Hunter, Jones, Allen, Davis, Graham, Ball and Watkins.

1.01 - Tavon Austin, WR, Rams

1.02 - Gio Bernard, RB, Bengals

1.03 - Le'Veon Bell, RB, Steelers

1.04 - Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Vikings

1.05 - DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Texans

1.06 - E.J Manuel, QB, Bills

1.07 - Tyler Eifert, TE, Bengals

1.08 - Eddie Lacy, RB, Packers

1.09 - Geno Smith, QB, Jets

1.10 - Zach Ertz, TE, Eagles

1.11 - Marquise Lee, WR, USC

1.12 - Marcus Wheaton, WR, Steelers

1.13 - Aaron Dobson, WR, Patriots

1.14 - Jonathan Franklin, RB, Packers

2.01 - Christine Michael, RB, Seahawks

2.02 - Quinton Patton, WR, 49ers

2.03 - Zac Stacy, RB, Rams

2.04 - Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

2.05 - Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville Cardinals

I was amazed that in a 2QB league Bridgewater was picked after RBs and WRs who have gone into backup situations, and after Geno Smith who is less talented and in a bad situation. If Bridgewater has a good season this year and goes top 5 in the 2014 draft, he'd be the 1.01 in a 2QB league, and I've nabbed him at 2.05 a year early. Colour me delighted.

And given his relatively easy schedule, Bridgewater should put up big numbers again this year.

Went to the SJSU/Stanford game last year. Had no idea who Fales was going into the game, but he played really well and kept the Spartans in it. Very accurate and seems to have the "it" factor. If he checks out from a size/arm strength standpoint he has a chance to be a solid QB prospect.
I finally watched all clips of his game - am I crazy to think he would have been the #1 QB in this year's draft? The more I watch of him the more impressed I get.
Not crazy at all. Could be a qb heavy first round again next year.

Football is a strength game as much as it's a speed game. Most of the elite NFL WRs are pretty thick. Even the lighter guys like Green, Wayne, and Wallace have decent bulk. A smaller frame limits a receiver's effectiveness in certain situations and poses durability risks.Richardson is an absolute twig and he'll have to be a superstar in every facet besides size if he's going to become a #1 receiver in the NFL.
Not that itmatters that much, but he's only been the best receiver on his own team one year. remember he was a high school teammate of Robert woods and marqise Lee

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...rd-clowney-matthews-again-have-linemen-on-top

2014 Big Board: Clowney, Matthews again have linemen on top
by Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
May 15, 2013 5:56 PM ET
For the first time since 2001, only one quarterback was selected in the first round of the NFL draft in April. Expect normalcy: and by that I mean the quarterbacks -- to return in 2014.

Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater leads a potentially strong group of passers looking to take advantage of the relative dearth in talent in the 2013 class. While Jadeveon Clowney is the best college football player in the country, Bridgewater's strong, accurate arm could make him even more valuable come draft day than the superstar pass rusher from South Carolina.

The Big Board isn't a mock draft. There is no attention given to team needs or the projected selection order. It is simply a ranking of the 32 best prospects potentially eligible for the 2014 NFL Draft.

Underclassmen are denoted with an asterisk (*).

1. Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina (6-6, 268, 4.65)*: It is difficult to describe Clowney and not fall into the trap of hyperbole. He has more than lived up to his billing as the top prep prospect in the country in his first two seasons with the Gamecocks, however, and boasts the skillset to rank among the truly elite prospects of his generation.

2. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M (6-5, 305, 5.14): Luke Joeckel received most of the attention at Texas A&M, but there are some who believe Matthews (the son of Hall of Famer, Bruce) will wind up the better prospect. If Matthews handles the jump to left tackle as smoothly as scouts anticipate, a top-five selection is a virtual lock.

3. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville (6-3, 220, 4.65)*: Bridgewater has dominated the Big East in his first two seasons and eased any concerns over his level of competition with an MVP performance in a Sugar Bowl win against an extremely talented Florida defense.

4. Taylor Lewan, T, Michigan (6-7, 310, 5.04): Possessing an incredible combination of size and athletic ability, Lewan has earned comparisons to former Michigan standout Jake Long throughout his career with the Wolverines.

5. Stephon Tuitt, DL, Notre Dame (6-5, 303, 4.89)*: Overshadowed by Manti Te'o and even nose guard Louis Nix III a season ago, Tuitt's length, power and surprising quickness will ultimately earn him the highest grade from NFL scouts.

6. Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson (6-1, 225, 4.68): Every team is looking for "the next Russell Wilson." In terms of his size, poise, mobility and arm talent, Boyd is one of the few quarterbacks to warrant comparison to the Seahawks' young standout.

7. Cyrus Kouandjio, T, Alabama (6-5, 312, 5.12)*: Some questioned the wisdom of moving Barrett Jones from left tackle (where he'd won the Jacobs Blocking Trophy as the SEC's best lineman) to center in 2012. The reason for the switch was Kouandjio, a physically-blessed athlete who some have compared to former Redskins Pro Bowler Chris Samuels, the No. 3 overall pick out of Alabama in 2000.

8. Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA (6-4, 238, 4.73): As the No. 5 pick of the 2013 NFL draft, Ziggy Ansah showed just what a breakout season can do for a pass-rusher. Barr, a former running back, exploded onto the Pac-12 scene last year to the tune of 21.5 tackles for loss and 13.5 sacks. If he can duplicate that success as a senior, he could wind up in the top 10, himself.

9. Marqise Lee, WR, Southern Cal (6-0, 195, 4.51)*: The reigning Biletnikoff winner as the nation's top receiver, Lee possesses extraordinary agility and burst, making him a threat to score every time he touches the ball.

10. Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State (5-11, 190, 4.42)*: The Buckeyes used to churn out first-round defensive backs annually. Roby, who possesses spectacular straight-line speed and quick hands, will renew the tradition.

11. Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU (6-3, 235, 4.67): While Ziggy Ansah received most of the hype at BYU, Van Noy was far and away the more consistent defender, registering an eye-popping 22 tackles for loss, 13 sacks, six forced fumbles, two interceptions and two blocked kicks. What can he do for an encore now that opponents will be focusing on him?

12. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington (6-6, 267, 4.75)*: A two-sport star for the Huskies (football, basketball), ASJ provides a unique combination of size, overall athleticism and ball-skills, making him a true mismatch for opponents. He was suspended indefinitely by coach Steve Sarkisian in the spring following a DUI arrest, but is expected to play this fall.

13. C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama (6-2, 232, 4.56): Athletic and instinctive, Mosley is a true three-down linebacker capable of making plays against the run and pass. He's among the best all-around football players in what appears to be a much stronger 2014 draft class, but his lack of elite size could keep him out of the top 10.

14. Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee (6-6, 332, 5.16)*: Nicknamed "Tiny," Richardson and his game proved anything but last season at left tackle for the Vols. Richardson remains a bit raw but was one of the few tackles to keep Clowney off his quarterback.

15. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU (5-10, 182, 4.49): Verrett lacks the size so en vogue in today's NFL, but agility and ball skills never go out of style for cornerbacks. Verrett led the Big 12 with 22 passes defended and six interceptions in 2012.

16. Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame (6-3, 326, 5.17)*: Possessing broad shoulders, a thick lower half and surprisingly quick feet, Nix III is a classic run-stuffer with enough burst and determination to threaten the pocket, as well.

17. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson (6-1, 200, 4.49)*: It was Watkins, not USC's Lee, who was the more impressive pass-catcher as a freshman, but injuries and suspension led to a disappointing sophomore campaign for the Clemson star while Lee won the Biletnikoff Award. Long and athletic, expect Watkins to re-emerge in 2013.

18. Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida (6-0, 185, 4.47)*: An explosive athlete with a knack for making big plays at cornerback and on special teams, Purifoy is expected to see significant time at receiver in 2013, as well.

19. Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon (6-5, 245, 4.59)*: Overshadowed a bit at Oregon but shows a combination of size and overall athletic ability that has earned comparisons from a number of veteran Pac-12 observers to former Arizona Wildcat Rob Gronkowski.

20. A.J. Johnson, ILB, Tennessee (6-2, 240, 4.73)*: For all of the talk a year ago about Manti Te'o, Arthur Brown or Kevin Minter, for my money, the most impressive inside linebacker in the country was Johnson. He led the SEC with 138 stops while also contributing six touchdowns as Tennessee's short-yardage back.

21. William Sutton, DE, Arizona State (6-1, 288, 4.79): Sutton is undeniably smaller than scouts would prefer, but he uses his natural leverage advantage well, slicing through gaps to terrorize opponents. Sutton led the Pac-12 in both tackles for loss (23.5) and sacks (13) in 2012 and was voted the conference's most dominant defensive lineman -- over Carolina Panthers first-round pick Star Lotulelei, among others.

22. David Yankey, OT, Stanford (6-5, 302, 5.08)*: Scouts love Yankey's upside and versatility. He won the Morris Trophy as the Pac-12's top offensive lineman in his first season at left tackle ... as a sophomore.

23. David Fales, QB, San Jose State (6-3, 220, 4.88): Fales signed with SJSU as a lightly recruited JUCO prospect, but turned heads by leading the country with a 72.5 percent completion percentage. His anticipation and accuracy make up for less than ideal size and arm strength.

24. Adrian Hubbard, OLB, Alabama (6-5, 252, 4.76)*: They don't rebuild at Alabama, they simply reload, and Hubbard is the next star on defense to keep an eye on. The lanky pass-rusher recorded 10 tackles for loss, six sacks and three forced fumbles in a breakout sophomore campaign and could be on the verge of much bigger things.

25. Brandon Coleman, R, Rutgers (6-5, 220, 4.59)*: Towering over most cornerbacks, Coleman is an ideal red-zone target with sneaky downfield speed. His 10 receiving touchdowns in 2012 tied the school's single-season record. Don't be surprised when he breaks the record as a junior.

26. Ka'Deem Carey, RB, Arizona (5-10, 200, 4.53)*: Carey led the country with 1,929 yards a season ago, demonstrating vision, burst and elusiveness. If he can clear up concerns about his maturity, Carey could overtake former first-round pick Trung Canidate (selected No. 31 overall by the Rams in 2000) as the highest drafted runner in school history.

27. James Hurst, OT, North Carolina (6-6, 310, 5.43): Entering his fourth season as the Tar Heels' left tackle, Hurst won't have to worry about being overshadowed this year by guard Jonathan Cooper, and therefore will begin to get the first-round buzz his game deserves.

28. Trent Murphy, DE/OLB, Stanford (6-4, 261, 4.80): Murphy registered 18 tackles for loss and 10 sacks to lead the Cardinal in both categories a season ago. The stout, broad-shouldered athlete may project best as a defensive end rather than as a stand-up linebacker for some.

29. Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State (6-3, 212, 4.79): While not as polished as older brother David was entering his senior season, Derek has the frame, confidence and rocket arm to shoot up draft boards with a big final campaign for the Bulldogs.

30. Morgan Breslin, DE/OLB, Southern Cal (6-2, 250, 4.67): Breslin exploded for 13 sacks in his first season with the Trojans after signing as a highly regarded JUCO prospect. Breslin's burst and tenacity could make him every bit as intriguing to 3-4 teams looking for a standup linebacker as 4-3 teams in need of a defensive end.

31. Jackson Jeffcoat, E/OLB, Texas (6-5, 245, 4.67): The son of former Cowboys standout Jim Jeffcoat, Jackson has the length and athleticism to earn a first-round grade, but durability is a concern.

32. Danny Shelton, DT, Washington (6-1, 318, 5.22)*: A classic nose guard with great strength and shocking quickness, Shelton could be on the verge of a breakout junior campaign.

Rob Rang is a senior analyst for NFLDraftScout.com. He can be found on Twitter @RobRang.

Keep an eye on Mike Davis. He's a good friend of mine and is the real deal.

FYI,

Tex

from Rotoworld:

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper ranks Texas A&M redshirt sophomore Mike Evans as the No. 3 overall WR for the 2014 draft.
"A big-time matchup problem, Evans has the length of an NFL tight end, and maybe even a bigger catch radius, because he has long arms on a 6-5 frame," Kiper writes. "The question for Evans will be if he can show enough quick-twitch explosiveness and strength to beat jams and the straight-line speed to beat defenders over the top."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/22278381/freaks-list-the-20-craziest-athletes-in-college-football

Bruce Feldman

Freaks List: The 20 craziest athletes in college football

Since we're 100 days from the actual start of the college football season, it's time for our annual Freaks List. We've been doing it for a decade, focusing on the top workout warriors or players who amaze their teammates and coaches with what they can do in the weight room, on the track or in some other "wow" aspect of athleticism.

Among the Freaks to make this list: Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson and last year's No. 1 guy: SMU's Estonian shot putter-turned-pass rushing/kick blocking terror Margus Hunt. With a big thank you to coaches, players and sports information directors around the country, here is the 2013 Freak List. As you'll notice, it's bigger than ever. (I considered any players who are already on campus and will be eligible this fall.)

1. Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina, DE: Like just about everything else that Jadeveon Clowney does athletically, his workout numbers are jaw-dropping but nothing (not even this) illustrates just how freakish the South Carolina DE is better than the Tendo.

The what?

The Tendo is an electronic power and speed analyzer (a speedometer of sorts) invented in Slovakia and has been around for about a decade in the U.S. strength and conditioning community.

"It's become one of the go-to tests in the strength industry," said Bert Sorin, owner and VP of Sorinex Exercise Equipment, the sole North American distributor of the Tendo. "It's changed the way a lot of people are training. Now you have a quality approach instead of just reps. You can see what kind of force is produced."

According to Sorin, a former All-American hammer thrower at South Carolina in the late 1990s, about 90 percent of top 25 football programs use the Tendo in some variety.

"It measures velocity and power in meters per second," explained Joe Connolly, the Gamecocks head football strength and conditioning coach. "It'll give you a power number, and it's expressed in watts. It takes into account body weight and different things. (Clowney) is in the 8000s and we're talking repetitive numbers in the 8500-range, and there isn't anybody on the team within 2000 of that.

"Clowney has a 8655w peak power reading. The closest number that a teammate has is a 6800w peak power reading. This differential is pretty vast. One major difference is JD can produce this kind of power repeatedly. Nobody else can do that."

:jawdrop:

Connolly's example: "Clowney first jump: 8655w. Jump two: 8653w. Jump three: 8650w. The rest of the word: Jump one: 6600w. Jump two: 6300w. Jump three: 6000w."

When Clowney arrived in Columbia two years ago as the nation's No. 1 recruit, he was a chiseled 6-foot-6, 238 pounder with explosiveness that had college recruiters raving. He was also "a recipe for disaster," said Connolly. "When he walked in the door he was a Ferrari engine in a Yugo. He was extremely explosive but he needed to stabilize a lot of his joints to help keep him injury free."

Since then Clowney has blossomed into a 275-pound guy who has many seeing him as the first pick in next year's NFL Draft and a viable Heisman Trophy candidate. "His first step was lightning, and that's just who is he and what God gave him," said Connolly. "The difference with him is that he's faster at 275 now. He's even more explosive and powerful at 275, which is frightening."

Clowney was tested by Gamecock coaches the week before South Carolina started spring ball. He vertical jumped 38 inches and clocked a 4.54 40 weighing 274 pounds. A year ago, he ran a 4.58 at 257.

A year ago, Clowney's teammate, Devin Taylor made the Freaks List. A former state triple jump champ, Taylor was a 6-7, 267-pounder who broad-jumped almost 11 feet.

"Devin was fluid and extremely smooth. Clowney is violent," said Connolly. "Devin will play in the NFL for a long time. Clowney is more violent than anybody I've ever seen. There is a violence to his first step. I've never seen anybody with more first-step quickness than he has. He's off the ball while the ball is still in the center's hands. His explosiveness is unparalleled."

Asked if it's realistic to think Clowney could show up next winter in Indy for the NFL Combine and vertical jump 40 inches while weighing 290, Connolly said, "There's no question that is within the realm of possibility.

"The difference is he sees the light at the end of the tunnel. He's always been an average worker. But when you see, 'The draft before my draft is now done,' he's kind of flipped the switch. There's no question he's been very upfront and forward about the different things he wants to accomplish this year, and he realizes that strength and conditioning is a very important factor to getting to those goals."

2. Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota, DT: The 6-6, 312-pound converted tight end vertical jumped 36 inches this offseason when the Gophers tested him. More impressively, the former basketball standout (he used to play AAU ball against first-rounder Royce White) says he can still do a 360 dunk even though he's well over three bills. "But," Hageman adds, "it doesn't look as pretty as when I was 250."

Hageman was a big recruit for former coach Tim Brewster. Then-Gophers hoops coach Tubby Smith once tried to get him to come out for the basketball team, Hageman says. But the big man opted to focus solely on football, where he has blossomed into one of the Big Ten's better D-linemen.

He's certainly the most athletic. Not only does he have the 36-inch vert, but he also has bench-pressed 465 pounds and clocked an electronically timed 10-yard sprint in 1.57 seconds. For comparison sake, no DT at this year's NFL Combine jumped higher than 33 inches, and Terron Armstead, the offensive tackle who ran the blazing 4.71 40 at the combine, did a 1.64 in his 10.

Hageman said watching the combine in February has "motivated me to be even get more serious in the weight room." His goals on the field for 2013: play with better pad level, play with more urgency off the ball and not take plays off.

3. Lache Seastrunk, Baylor, RB: Just being the Bears resident "Freak" is saying a lot. The Bears can go four-wide with a crew of receivers who each have been clocked faster than 4.4. One of those guys, 170-pound Tevin Reese, runs 4.32 and has a 45-inch vertical jump. In fact, Baylor deserves Freak Team status this season.

After hearing some of these super-fast 40 times, I asked Bears strength coach Kaz Kazadi if these are hand-timed 40s or timed electronically, which prompted one of the best quotes I've heard this year:

"They're all electronic," Kazadi said. "We don't hand-time anything. Hand times are for your mama. Your mama don't work here. We're not hand-timing anything around here. We encourage people to come watch our guys work. They take this seriously."

:lmao:

Seastrunk is a testament to that. He's up to 210 pounds after arriving in Waco at 195 a few years ago. "A lot of guys think their speed is predicated on not getting too heavy, instead of getting more power," said Kazadi. "We got to kind of wean 'em off of being too concerned about putting on pounds."

Seastrunk's vertical, which was an impressive 42.5 inches last winter, is now 44.2 inches. He also broad jumped 11-4 -- five inches more than in 2012. His 40 time: 4.36.

It's quite an improve from Seastrunk's days at Oregon when he ran a 4.63 electronic 40 and had a 34.5” vertical two winters ago.

"He's bought into training and taking care of himself," said Kazadi. "That's the No. 1 thing that we've seen with him. It's not just in his physical attributes that we've seen him really mature in. It's the accountability and the reliability. The eye-contact and his awareness --everything has improved. You know he understands what you're saying and he's paying attention."

The former five-star recruit may have been the most improved player in college football over the second half of last season. Seastrunk ran for 1,000 yards last season despite only gaining 95 yards in the Bears' first five games. But the one-time Oregon Duck was spectacular in Baylor's final four games of the season, when the Bears beat No. 1 Kansas State, Texas Tech, No. 23 Oklahoma State and No. 17 UCLA while Seastrunk ran for 637 yards on a 9.1-yard per carry average.

4. Taylor Lewan, Michigan, OT: A projected top-15 pick by many NFL Draft analysts if he had opted to leave Ann Arbor after last season, the towering left tackle returns this fall to anchor the Wolverines line. The 6-8, 309-pound Lewan, who's known for his both his nastiness and his nimble feet to rival coaches, would've put on quite a display had he went to Indy for the combine in February.

According to Wolverines strength coach Aaron Wellman, Lewan has clocked an electronically-timed 4.8 40-yard dash. The Arizona native has also, despite his long arms, bench pressed 275 pounds 21 times and also squats 550 pounds. In addition, this offseason Lewan improved his vertical jump to 29 inches, up from 26 last year.

"He's a great worker and a great leader," said Wellman. "We're lucky he decided to come back. He is so unselfish. He came back to win a Big Ten championship and leave a legacy here."

Wellman said Lewan often will call him or spend time in his office asking him all sorts of questions about training and diet. "The nutrition piece is big for him. Anything related to him becoming a better football player, he asks about."

5. Marqise Lee, USC, WR: The biggest bright spot on what was an otherwise nightmarish 2012 season for the Trojans, Lee isn't the nation's biggest receiver at 6 feet, 195 pounds, but he may be the most dynamic. Last year, he won the Biletnikoff Award after catching 118 passes for 1,721 yards and 14 TDs. Lee also averaged 29 yards per kick return and 8 yards a carry. There's a good chance he also may play defense this year too.

Lee's explosiveness is evidenced by his work with the USC track team as well. He's a 25-foot long jumper and he's also run on the sprint relay team.

"He's gotta be in the top five of the most freakish athletes I've ever been around," said USC WR coach Tee Martin, a former standout QB at Tennessee who also played in the NFL with the Pittsburgh Steelers. "He's in there with the Jamal Lewises, the Leonard Littles, the Donta Stallworths and Kordell Stewarts. The things that are so great about Marqise is he's got this great ability to contort his body and to jump and just explode and go from zero to 60 really fast. And the really scary part is he's still so young and is working so hard to get better."

6. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M, QB: The guy who became the first freshman to ever win the Heisman Trophy has shown he's quite the all-around athlete as he continues his whirlwind bucket list offseason. Just in the past month, Manziel's broken 80 at Pebble Beach and homered in BP in a major league ballpark when he visited the San Diego Padres. Friends say the 6-footer is also capable of throwing down some eye-catching dunks on the basketball court as well. Oh yeah, and he also can do stuff like this too.

The real reason why he cracks the Top 10 on the Freaks List is for something else, though. At first glance, Manziel looks rather ordinary at 6-0, 210, but coaches say in addition to his preternatural wheels, the Aggies star has huge hands, which are a big plus for any QB, especially a shorter one. A&M coach Kevin Sumlin said Manziel's oversized mitts remind him of another play-making 6-foot QB on a team he coached back in his Purdue days -- Drew Brees, who apparently has thumbs the size of croissants.

"Having those big hands not only helps tote the ball in traffic, but he can basically go all through his motion and still pull the ball back," noted George Whitfield, a private QB coach who helps train Manziel. Whitfield also has worked with some huge NFL quarterbacks, Ben Roethlisberger, Cam Newton and Andrew Luck. All three of those QBs have size 14 shoes. Manziel wears 15s.

7. Dri Archer, Kent State, RB-KR: You might as well call Archer Mr. MACtion. The 5-8, 173-pound Archer is the league's most exciting player and may be the quickest man in college football. Despite his diminutive frame, Archer still ran for 1,429 yards and 16 TDs, with a 9-yard average per carry. In eight games Archer had at least one run of 43 yards or longer. KSU strength coach Antoine Sharpe says Archer certainly backs up that home-run style when he clocked electronically a 4.29 40-yard dash.

8. Benardrick McKinney, Mississippi State, LB: One of the breakout stars of 2012 in the SEC, the 6-5 McKinney made 102 tackles last season to earn a spot on the Freshman All-SEC team. McKinney, another one of the unheralded recruits who has blossomed in the Dan Mullen era, arrived at MSU two years ago as a 216-pound former QB. Now he's a 240-pounder with a 41.5-inch vertical, up 3.5 inches from last year. He also can do 30 pull-ups, almost double his total from a year ago, according to Bulldogs strength coach Matt Balis.

9. Chris Borland, Wisconsin, LB: The 5-11, 245-pound linebacker -- the 2009 Big Ten Freshman of the Year -- has had a knack for turning heads from the days even before he was a Badger. In fact, former Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema once told me he remembered noticing Borland in one of the Badgers camps. "I'm watching him and he had about five interceptions in about an hour and half of 7-on-7," said Bielema.

Borland does a standstill box jump of 51 inches, said strength coach Evan Simon. "He can also do a standing back flip at will and one time landed one in the splits for fun. He is as solid as two rocks and one of the hardest workers you'll find."

Not only that, Badger insiders say Borland has also been known to kick 40-yard field goals, practice catching balls either with one hand or behind his back out of the jugs gun and can throw the ball about 50 yards on a line.

10. Ryan Carrethers, Arkansas State, DT: A 2012 First Team All-Sun Belt Conference player, Carrethers certainly seems like he could be a force at any league in college football. The redshirt senior, who will be playing for his fourth head coach this fall, isn't just some sloppy, bad-body guy. His 16 percent body fat for a guy measuring in at 6-2, 332 is impressive. As are his 400-pound power clean, his 664-pound squat and 400-pound incline bench press.

"Ryan was a state champion heavyweight wrestler in Tennessee his senior year, which has translated to him being a fantastic defensive lineman that has started for three years on the championship Red Wolves teams," said Jeff Pitman, Arkansas State's strength coach. "Ryan can more than hang with former all freak team members I have coached. Examples are Daryn Colledge at Boise State and Nate Solder at the University of Colorado. Both [players] have had great NFL careers."

11. Travis Swanson, Arkansas, center: Arguably the nation's top center, the 320-pound Swanson has already wowed the new Razorbacks coaching staff. Swanson has been clocked by the Hogs staff in the three-cone drill at 7.39 seconds. (Former Texas A&M star Luke Joeckel, the second pick in April's draft, ran it in 7.40 while Eric Fisher, the first overall pick, did it in 7.59 seconds.) "His movement ability is second only to (Cleveland Browns All-Pro left tackle) Joe Thomas out of linemen that I have worked with in the last 12 years," said strength coach Ben Herbert, who came over from Wisconsin.

12. Justin Jackson, Wake Forest, OLB: A linebacker who minors in dance, Jackson's nifty footwork is also quite evident on the field and in all the drills Wake Forest tests in. The 6-1, 230-pounder has been timed in the 40 at 4.44 and a broad jump of 10-8 to go with a hang clean of 400 pounds.

13. Donte Moncrief, Ole Miss, WR: The Rebels have had more than their share of dynamic wideouts over the past few years with Mike Wallace and Dexter McCluster, but Moncrief is a different type of Freak. He's 6-3, 228 pounds and yet still can run a 4.44 40, vertical jumps 39 inches and broad jumps 11-1, according to Rebels strength coach Paul Jackson.

14. George Atkinson III, Notre Dame, RB-KR: The reserve Irish running back has good size at 215 pounds to go with blazing speed. Last year, he ran a 10.36 100-meter dash at the Big East track championships. Even though it was a wind-aided time, it wasn't much over the legal-limit and shows a gear Notre Dame football fans hadn't seen much of in a few years.

15. Colt Lyerla, Oregon, TE-RB: When Chip Kelly lined up the 6-5, 250-pounder at running back it was quite a sight. Lyerla was quite the weapon with surprising wheels for a guy that size, especially when it comes to his hops. He had vertical jumped 35 inches (second-best all-time among Oregon tight ends) and touched a team-best 11-3 in the jump reach. But

from Rotoworld:

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper ranks Texas A&M redshirt sophomore Mike Evans as the No. 3 overall WR for the 2014 draft.
"A big-time matchup problem, Evans has the length of an NFL tight end, and maybe even a bigger catch radius, because he has long arms on a 6-5 frame," Kiper writes. "The question for Evans will be if he can show enough quick-twitch explosiveness and strength to beat jams and the straight-line speed to beat defenders over the top."

Not a fan of Mike Evans after watching some film of him

from Rotoworld:

What are you thoughts? Where does he fall short in your opinion? He's interested due to his physical gifts, but I don't know much about him.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/22278381/freaks-list-the-20-craziest-athletes-in-college-football

Bruce Feldman

3. Lache Seastrunk, Baylor, RB:

Seastrunk is a testament to that. He's up to 210 pounds after arriving in Waco at 195 a few years ago. "A lot of guys think their speed is predicated on not getting too heavy, instead of getting more power," said Kazadi. "We got to kind of wean 'em off of being too concerned about putting on pounds."

Seastrunk's vertical, which was an impressive 42.5 inches last winter, is now 44.2 inches. He also broad jumped 11-4 -- five inches more than in 2012. His 40 time: 4.36.

It's quite an improve from Seastrunk's days at Oregon when he ran a 4.63 electronic 40 and had a 34.5” vertical two winters ago.
Those would be some incredible numbers

from Rotoworld:

What are you thoughts? Where does he fall short in your opinion? He's interested due to his physical gifts, but I don't know much about him.
My biggest concern is he doesn't make plays. I saw too many plays he should've made and he dropped or lost a contested battle with a DB. With his Height/wingspan, he should be making more of those plays. Then factor in this is vs college DBs and i'm not overly high on his NFL prospects of being a FF difference maker. Kinda reminds me of Jeff Fuller. Looks like tarzan, plays like Jane.

Bruce Feldman

I like that he's up to 210 lbs and if he maintains his speed, I couldn't be happier. I know you're not a fan of Seastrunk, but he may be a gold mine.

Bruce Feldman

I like that he's up to 210 lbs and if he maintains his speed, I couldn't be happier. I know you're not a fan of Seastrunk, but he may be a gold mine.
Increasing size and maintaining athletic ability is great. I'm always open to changing my mind about a prospect, but none of this changes my concerns: spread offense helps his numbers, ability to break arm tackles, don't see great agility, consistently puts up good numbers and running mindset(Reggie Bush syndrome). If he improves in those areas, he could very easily be a RB I like.

from Rotoworld:

My biggest concern is he doesn't make plays. I saw too many plays he should've made and he dropped or lost a contested battle with a DB. With his Height/wingspan, he should be making more of those plays. Then factor in this is vs college DBs and i'm not overly high on his NFL prospects of being a FF difference maker. Kinda reminds me of Jeff Fuller. Looks like tarzan, plays like Jane.
Haha. Agreed.

Three things I don't like about Marqise Lee:

• Looks faster with the ball in his hands than without.
  • Catches "underhand" too much, even on fades.
  • Average ball skills on contested passes.
He doesn't look very special in his routes. Inconsistent effort/speed/suddenness without the ball. Robert Woods showed more intensity in his routes compared to Lee.

When catching underhand, it's much harder to extend and catch away from your body. Lee does track the deep ball very well over the shoulder, though. Something Woods wasn't very good at.

Doesn't show very good strength when contested, especially in the end zone.

Charles Sims to transfer or enter Supplemental Draft:

http://www.houston.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1507995
he has graduated, so he does not'need" college from that sense. Seems like a draftable guy, who does a little bit of everything well enough, but none of it in a special way. Guessing 4th-5th rounder, in the regualr draft.
from Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler wonders if senior RB Charles Sims' departure has something to do with the Supplemental Draft.
"It remains speculation at this time why Sims has decided to leave the program, but if ruled ineligible for whatever reason he would have the option of entering the 2013 NFL Supplemental Draft this summer," Brugler writes. Sims has already graduated from Houston, so he will be eligible to play for another program during the 2013 season.

Bruce Feldman

Increasing size and maintaining athletic ability is great. I'm always open to changing my mind about a prospect, but none of this changes my concerns: spread offense helps his numbers, ability to break arm tackles, don't see great agility, consistently puts up good numbers and running mindset(Reggie Bush syndrome). If he improves in those areas, he could very easily be a RB I like.
You can think on that while he's trying to win the Heisman.

Bruce Feldman

You can think on that while he's trying to win the Heisman.
Key word is trying. I wouldn't put him in at the top of the list just yet.

Bruce Feldman

I don't find them credible either, but they are local numbers.

Bruce Feldman

I don't find them credible either, but they are local numbers.
Baylor claims that everything is electronically timed.

Three things I don't like about Marqise Lee:

• Looks faster with the ball in his hands than without.
  • Catches "underhand" too much, even on fades.
  • Average ball skills on contested passes.
He doesn't look very special in his routes. Inconsistent effort/speed/suddenness without the ball. Robert Woods showed more intensity in his routes compared to Lee.

When catching underhand, it's much harder to extend and catch away from your body. Lee does track the deep ball very well over the shoulder, though. Something Woods wasn't very good at.

Doesn't show very good strength when contested, especially in the end zone.
I've watched almost every game of Lee last season so I feel confident replying.

1) He definitely shows different gears, but I think this is all the time. Sometimes he's gliding through a route and hits another gear to go by a CB. Sometimes he hits another gear to run by a defender. I don't think he's a 4.3 guy either way.

2) He does catch underhand and body catches too much.

3) I don't think his ball skills as average or less, especially for a player his size.

He's not as sudden a route runner as Woods, but then again he doesn't need to be to be open(Woods does). Compared to Sammy Watkins, I think Lee beats him in every way, but straight line speed.

A few things people might not know about Lee:

1) He's a good run blocker and puts in a good effort downfield. On many of the big plays of other USC skill players, Lee is making great blocks downfield.

2) He's a big time competitor. Part of #1 is his competitiveness. I've seen him get mad at himself for not making a play or scoring a TD. Get mad at other players on his team. Get in the face of defenders, challenging them. He's not afraid of contact, despite not being a big player, it shows when he's trying to get first downs or score.

3) He came from a poor background and it's hard not to cheer for him. Watch this http://vimeo.com/52810696

Jordan Matthews is another WR that looks better after the catch than before.

His teammate Chris Boyd intrigues me more, though:

Rotoworld:

Draft insider Tony Pauline believes Bowling Green redshirt sophomore WR Chris Gallon is a "big time talent."
Pauline notes that "speed may be the issue," but Gallon is big and fluid. Listed at 6'4/221 pounds, Gallon could remind some of Michael Jenkins. He would be wise to work on his downfield blocking and could be forced to consistently win at the catch point if separation is an issue.

Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter
Texas A&M redshirt sophomore QB Johnny Manziel has earned a comparison to Jeff Garcia from NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah.
When asked for an NFL equivalent, Jeremiah tweeted, "I see a little bit of Jeff Garcia in his play." Previously Jeremiah stated Manziel's footwork needed a lot of polish but is "pretty freaking fun to watch on tape!"

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter
After breaking down Alabama senior QB A.J. McCarron's tape, NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah believes the Crimson Tide quarterback makes quick decisions.
As for other positives, Jeremiah added that McCarron has great touch and clean feet. On the other hand, he suffers from average velocity and a long delivery. We aren't ready to call McCarron anything more than a game manager at this point until he elevates the talent around him.

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes San jose State senior QB David Fales' best attribute might be his field vision.
Fales "sees the field extremely well to survey and work thru reads (with) proper timing and anticipation," Brugler tweeted. Although he spent of the majority of his time in the pistol, Brugler was surprised to see Fales line up under center on 32.9 percent of the snaps in the five games he evaluated. The senior isn't perfect, however, and Brugler was critical of his velocity, saying there were "too many rainbows, not enough lasers."

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter

A few more from Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler ranks Clemson's Tajh Boyd as the No. 1 senior QB.
This comes on the heels of stating that he wouldn't put San Jose State's David Fales in the top half of the first-round. Quarterback evaluations are still in the preliminary stages, but if Boyd continues to progress like last last year, he has a good shot of being a top 16 selection.

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter
San Jose State senior QB David Fales needs to improve his deep ball placement, according to NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah.
Jeremiah did note that Fales processes quickly and accurately on underneath to intermediate patterns. Out of the five quarterbacks he had evaluated at the time, Jeremiah ranked Fales fifth behind Teddy Bridgewater, Tajh Boyd, Johnny Manziel, and A.J. McCarron.

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah believes Fresno State senior QB Derek Carr is intriguing.
Jeremiah suggested Carr be compared to Jay Cutler, both for good and bad reasons. "Has live arm, can make wow throws," Jeremiah tweeted. "Too much confidence at times." Carr put up great numbers in 2012, but we are really nervous about his tendency to fall away from pressure and throw off his back foot.

So is next year's class expected to be stronger at the QB position? How about RB or WR? I highly doubt it is better at TE, I thought this class looked phenomenal there.

2014 Top 5 WRs NFL Draft Class Report

The 2013 College Football Season showcases a talented group of big-bodied senior receivers to keep your eye on for next years NFL draft. Vanderbilt's big play receiver Jordan Matthews and BYU's Cody Hoffman are the top wide receiving prospects in college football. Pittsburg's Devin Street, Tulane's Ryan Grant and Notre Dame's TJ Jones rounds out the talented crop of pass catchers for this up coming season.

Jordan Matthews*, WR Vanderbilt 6-3 205 lb.:

Strength: An explosive receiver that possess nice size and reliable hands. He's intelligently reads defenses and consistently finds the open spot on the field. Matthew is a fluid receiver who flashes big play ability. He plays with both balance and body control and is elusive running after the catch. Runs good routes and shows good timing out of his breaks. A good downfield blocker and is a consistent player.

Weakness: Matthews doesn't possess a quick release off the line of scrimmage and is not a constant deep vertical threat. He needs to learn how to fight through double teams to get open. He also needs to become sharper in his route running as he has a tendency to round off his routes during the play.

Final Analysis: Matthews is a complete receiver who has the ability to be a number one receiver at the next level and is someone to keep your eye on. He's a smart receiver that is blessed with great size, speed and hands that NFL teams covet. Matthews has been a very consistent player for Vanderbilt and brings a good work ethic to all areas of his game. He is projected as a middle-to-late first round pick and could go higher with another productive season.

Cody Hoffman, QB BYU 6-3 215 lb.:

Strength: Hoffman is a productive player that brings good value as a possession receiver for the NFL Level. He is a nice-sized target who does a good job of making receptions away from his body easily adjusting to bad passes. Fluid releasing off the line, quickly gets into breaks, and runs sharp routes. Possesses soft hands, easily adjusts to errant throws, and snatches the pass from the air. Has a burst of speed, which he turns on in a single step. Easily makes receptions in stride and shows good overall awareness.

Weakness: Not very elusive and struggles with getting separation sometimes against corners. Average burst after the catch and doesn't show great acceleration. Tries to do too much when the ball is in his hands at times. Will dropped a few very catchable balls, including easy bucket throw over shoulder. He's been an inconsistent blocker and must improve his effort in this area.

Final Analysis: Hoffman is a big receiver who uses his size well. He is a great threat to have in the red zone as he runs good routes and has excellent hands. He plays physical and shows great potential to be a number two receiver in the NFL.

Other WRs to watch:

Devin Street, WR Pittsburgh: Street is a tall lanky receiver at 6-4 190 pounds. He's been a solid receiver for Pittsburgh the past few seasons. He led the team in receptions in 2012 and is a nice target to have. His height and leaping ability makes him an intriguing prospect for scouts. He lacks the long speed that scouts look for and is projected as a third or forth receiver in the NFL. Street also needs to get stronger.

Ryan Grant, WR Tulane: Grant possesses great quickness off the line that helps him shake off press and fly by cornerbacks playing off-coverage. Not a big vertical threat but does have a short area burst to his game. He is also very elusive after the catch and can makes defenders miss. Grant is a fluid route runner who plays with good balance and body control. He will need to improve his strength to win battles against bigger NFL corners.

T.J. Jones, WR Notre Dome: Jones is a quick and speedy receiver that displays good sure hands. His skill set fits best as a slot receiver in the NFL. Jones is a tough player that will go over the middle and make tough catches. He needs to improve his route running and awareness. Jones is being counted on to take over as the number one pass option for Notre Dame offense this season. A big year as the teams top receiver could see his draft status increase.

*NUC Alum

NUC/NFL scouting reports include senior eligible players only.

Follow: @tabersmall

Courtesy: Taber Small/ Schuman's National Underclassmen

Odell Beckham will be a pretty high pick (first 3-4 rounds).

He might not have a great FF upside because he doesn't have conventional #1 WR size or skills, but he's clearly an NFL caliber athlete.

The LSU spring game was basically an Odell Beckham highlight reel. He's #3 in white:

http://youtu.be/sv964q6D-M8?t=1m28s

So is next year's class expected to be stronger at the QB position? How about RB or WR? I highly doubt it is better at TE, I thought this class looked phenomenal there.
It will be better at the top at QB and WR. Probably comparable at TE and RB, maybe a RB or two will emerge but nothing sticks out right now. Tough to expect it to be as deep across the board, but it could be.

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah believes Virginia Tech senior QB Logan Thomas "needs a lot of work."
Thomas' "pocket awareness, touch and decision-making are areas that need improvement," per Jeremiah. Many were infatuated with Thomas prior to last season, but he showed little improvement and forced far too many throws into tight coverage. He needs to shed the "project" label.

Texas senior WR Mike Davis is "crafty after the catch," according to Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl.
Weidl notes that Davis' "ball skills are a bit inconsistent," but "he's a smooth route runner that can stretch the field." The senior receiver group isn't outstanding, and Davis will have a chance to claim the top spot in that category with a strong final season.

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl really likes Texas junior RB Joe Bergeron's skill set at 230 pounds.
Weidl believes Bergeron has natural power and balance at his size, but his "vision/patience and lateral agility stand out on tape." Bergeron played in 12 games, starting six, in 2012 and rushed for 567 yards and a whopping 16 touchdowns on only 127 carries.

That's a huge insult to EJ Manuel. Logan Thomas is awful.
At this time last year, EJ Manuel was the same thing. Manuel made some improvements, but he has a long ways to go. Logan can do the same, but unfortunately he will likely be competing in a more QB rich class and could fall to day 2 like Manuel should have/would have had he come out another year.

Still don't understand why Tahj went back to school...

At this time last year, EJ Manuel was the same thing. Manuel made some improvements, but he has a long ways to go. Logan can do the same, but unfortunately he will likely be competing in a more QB rich class and could fall to day 2 like Manuel should have/would have had he come out another year.

EJ Manuel, at the end of his Junior year, was miles ahead of where Logan Thomas is currently.

At this time last year, EJ Manuel was the same thing. Manuel made some improvements, but he has a long ways to go. Logan can do the same, but unfortunately he will likely be competing in a more QB rich class and could fall to day 2 like Manuel should have/would have had he come out another year. Still don't understand why Tahj went back to school...
EJ Manuel, at the end of his Junior year, was miles ahead of where Logan Thomas is currently.
Agreed. Not even close to the same.

Big arm, fast, can't read the field, sloppy foot work, poor decision making, poor pocket presence, inaccurate.

Sounds the same to me.

Sounds the same to me.
I know you don't believe in things like "numbers" or "math" but I'm curious...

Manual: 65.3% completion rate, 8.6 yards/attempt, 7.7% TD Rate

Thomas: 55.1% completion rate, 7.2 yards/attempt, 4.4% TD Rate

If there's no difference between these two guys what are your definitions of

?

For my money Manuel is a lot more mobile too. I know Thomas runs a bunch, but he doesn't actually look like a good athlete to me.

Manuel can really move around back there.

Sounds the same to me.
I know you don't believe in things like "numbers" or "math" but I'm curious...

Manual: 65.3% completion rate, 8.6 yards/attempt, 7.7% TD Rate

Thomas: 55.1% completion rate, 7.2 yards/attempt, 4.4% TD Rate

If there's no difference between these two guys what are your definitions of

As you eluded to I'm a lot more concerned about the why than the raw data when it comes to evaluating the pro prospects of current college players. If you're saying you think Manuel did not have the issues I mentioned, and for that matter still has, then I could not disagree more with your assessment.

Big arm, fast, can't read the field, sloppy foot work, poor decision making, poor pocket presence, inaccurate.

Sounds the same to me.
The skills in the list you compiled aren't binary. EJ can both require improvement on certain aspects (footwork, decision making, etc) while still being MILES ahead of Logan Thomas in those skills.

Guys who are better prospects than any comparable offensive skill position player in this year's draft:

- QB: Teddy Bridgewater

- WR: Marqise Lee

- WR: Sammy Watkins

- TE: Austin Seferian-Jenkins (on same level as Tyler Eifert)

- RB: Lache Seastrunk

- RB: Ka'Deem Carey

I put the RB's last because those are the biggest question marks at this time and suppose some could argue that Gio Bernard or Eddie Lacy were better prospects. I tend to disagree.

It's not as deep as this year's crop, but better elite type talent at the top.

Users who are viewing this thread