What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jim Rome Interview w/Ricky Waters (1 Viewer)

jacobo_moses

Footballguy
Hey didn't any of you guys here the interview with Ricky Waters on the Jim Rome show the other day.??? How he isn't letting his kids play Football. And if he had to do it over again he probably wouldn't play in the NFL to make his fame and fortune. He'd try another way. I mean with all the lawsuits over head injuries. Like the Seau family suing the NFL. How is the NFL not going in the direction of becoming a glorified Flag Football game.??? :( :no: C'mon lets be real here. I watch some of the flags thrown at like Ed Reed and I just shake my head in disgust. There is just no way around this dilemma. Does anyone else agree? :bag:

Hey didn't any of you guys here the interview with Ricky Waters on the Jim Rome show the other day.??? How he isn't letting his kids play Football. And if he had to do it over again he probably wouldn't play in the NFL to make his fame and fortune. He'd try another way. I mean with all the lawsuits over head injuries. Like the Seau family suing the NFL. How is the NFL not going in the direction of becoming a glorified Flag Football game.??? :( :no:

C'mon lets be real here. I watch some of the flags thrown at like Ed Reed and I just shake my head in disgust. There is just no way around this dilemma.

Does anyone else agree? :bag:
Then he would have no fame and fortune.My uncle who made a good living as a carpenter just stated the same thing, his body is broken down and he has arthitis everywhere..he said "dam..I should have chosen a different line of work"

Last edited by a moderator:
With all the players killing themselves, they have no choice but to implement rules to better protect players, and their heads in particular. This leads to less of those bone-rattling hits we all know and love, but it is necessary imo.

Hey didn't any of you guys here the interview with Ricky Waters on the Jim Rome show the other day.??? How he isn't letting his kids play Football. And if he had to do it over again he probably wouldn't play in the NFL to make his fame and fortune. He'd try another way. I mean with all the lawsuits over head injuries. Like the Seau family suing the NFL. How is the NFL not going in the direction of becoming a glorified Flag Football game.??? :( :no:

C'mon lets be real here. I watch some of the flags thrown at like Ed Reed and I just shake my head in disgust. There is just no way around this dilemma.

Then he would have no fame and fortune.My uncle who made a good living as a carpenter just stated the same thing, his body is broken down and he has arthitis everywhere..he said "dam..I should have chosen a different line of work"
Right...he says he would probably try another way but, let's be honest, he made his name as a football player. I doubt anyone would know him if he got into investment banking or some other line of work on his way to making his fortune.

I don't think carpentry is sufficiently dangerous that people will be prevented from choosing it as a line of work or that carpentry itself will be further modified to protect people from themselves. Right now players are being asked (anecdotally) if playing was "worth it" or not. The real question is to what extent the game will be modified to effectively take that decision out of the player's hands?

Does your uncle have CTE?

The biggest push will come if/when more research is done at the Pop Warner-type level that ends up showing how more frequent, but lower impact, hits over time add up to have a larger effect on the brain than the violent collisions we see adults have in the NFL. I remember a small study from a couple years back to arrived at this conclusion. If this does prove to be more prevalent in expanded testing, the argument of "these are grown men who know the risks" goes out the window.Call me a ##### all you want, any son I have won't play football.

A lot of career office workers are shaking their heads for sitting behind a desk all day, every day for years. They experience heart problems, eye strain, repetitive stress injuries which require surgery, depression...

'mad sweeney said:
'Da Guru said:
'jacobo_moses said:

Does your uncle have CTE?
Does Watters?

The NFL just needs to be honest about the dangers of playing. Then give the players a bigger piece of the pie along with premium medical benefits for life to compensate for the dangers. Every player should be well aware of the potential consequences before entering the league.This of course will never happen because "The Shield" is all about the $$$$$$. They'll gladly take a dump all over the game and its players to keep the profits high.

'Psychopav said:
A lot of career office workers are shaking their heads for sitting behind a desk all day, every day for years. They experience heart problems, eye strain, repetitive stress injuries which require surgery, depression...
:goodposting: We all break down. What happened to Seau sucks, but there are construction workers, oil guys, military personnel, and lots of other jobs where the risk to reward is a lot higher than the NFL. Crab fishermen work crazy hours in one of the most hostile environments in the world for less money for a season than an NFL player gets for a game check. And the players have some of the best health insurance there is.

Carpenters, military people and crab fisherman don't have lawyers watching them. Nor is there a pot of gold sitting at the end of a law suit. Most of this is lawyer (the biggest scum on the face of this earth--next to congressmen) driven.

'Bad_Mo said:
'Da Guru said:
Right...he says he would probably try another way but, let's be honest, he made his name as a football player. I doubt anyone would know him if he got into investment banking or some other line of work on his way to making his fortune.
Do you think Junior Seau was better off for having made his name as a football player?

Maybe if these ####### players actually tackled instead of launching bullet style the problem would cease. Funny how when there were less protection rules and inferior equipment there was less concussions and less whining and lawsuits. It's goes with the job, it's a contact sport. Don't like it, don't sign the contract and play. Go use that degree you 'earned'.

it's just a different variant of the "would you have chosen the same career path all over again" thread that we have here.almost all of the current NFL players say that they don't care how they'll feel at 40 or 50 years old, they just want to play on sunday. even after watching a jim mcmahon interview or watch earl campbell move around. they just have a different perspective when they're older and those physical tolls are manifesting themselves. just like i have a significantly different perspective on my life and career at 42 yo than i did at 18 yo.

HOF Mike Haynes was on WFAN yesterday,talking about the rash of injuries in the NFL..he basically said that the zone defenseis the biggest culprit because it allows defenders the time to tee up a receiver and pummel him with a vicious hit..make them wear rugby uniforms - no pads except a scrum cap..

Last edited by a moderator:
HOF Mike Haynes was on WFAN yesterday,talking about the rash of injuries in the NFL..he basically said that the zone defenseis the biggest culprit because it allows defenders the time to tee up a receiver and pummel him with a vicious hit..
Make them play man to man?

HOF Mike Haynes was on WFAN yesterday,talking about the rash of injuries in the NFL..he basically said that the zone defenseis the biggest culprit because it allows defenders the time to tee up a receiver and pummel him with a vicious hit..
Make them play man to man?
I would suggest getting rid of the 5 yd. illegal contact rule. Let DBs play physically while the ball isn't in the air. It would encourage man coverage more.

I think if all the information is disclosed to the players, and injuries are handled carefully. Then players have no room to complain or file lawsuits over. If everything is disclosed and what the risk is. I don't feel a bit sorry the players. They should know this is a physical and dangerous sport at times. I agree with previous posters. Don't play the sport if you can't take the hits or handle the risks. That's the bottom line. :football:

Users who are viewing this thread