What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which team will get the big calls from the zebras? (1 Viewer)

Pick!

• Total voters
Ravens are guaranteed to get at least one questionable Flacco lollipop ball long DPI penalty called in their favor.It's a staple of their playbook.

I'm sure Ray Ray will get the Bettis treatment. Jim the Histrionic Baby doesn't do himself any favors when he screams and cries bloody murder when a flag is thrown for a false start or something else obvious. As long as John doesn't outdoosh his little brother, the birds ought to get the favors.

'mad sweeney said:
I'm sure Ray Ray will get the Bettis treatment.
can definitely see this happening. might have had something to do with the officiating in their divisional game this year. or it might not.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol at threads like this....people act like these officials go into the games with an agenda....
yeah, that would never happenI think the refs will fool all of you and make a call against the raiders.
the one thing you find is a replacement ref who was a saints fan so they took him off a preseason game...?..that is not an agenda....an agenda would be going into the game thinking you are going to intentionally alter something in a game for some personal reason...I have officiated hundreds of games involving coaches or players that I may not particularly like and hundreds of games involving coaches or players that I do like....neither of those things affect how I officiate the game....this thread feeds into the thought that the officials are going to the game with the attitude that they want one team to win over another....who will "get" the big calls...meaning given to them....not derserving of them....thats a crock....I realize a few bad seeds (that NBA ref) will lead people to think this happens all the time....but it doesn't....

'mad sweeney said:
I'm sure Ray Ray will get the Bettis treatment. Jim the Histrionic Baby doesn't do himself any favors when he screams and cries bloody murder when a flag is thrown for a false start or something else obvious. As long as John doesn't outdoosh his little brother, the birds ought to get the favors.
curious as to what the bolded means....what was the Bettis treatment...?

'mad sweeney said:
can definitely see this happening. might have had something to do with the officiating in their divisional game this year. or it might not.
could you expand on this..?....first what was the Bettis treatment....?....and what specifically happened in the divisional game...cause right now you really only sound like a whiny CO/Bronco fan who is still booty hurt....

'mad sweeney said:
could you expand on this..?....first what was the Bettis treatment....?....and what specifically happened in the divisional game...cause right now you really only sound like a whiny CO/Bronco fan who is still booty hurt....
I thought
was an example of somebody getting the bettis treatment, but maybe I'm wrong.

'Stinkin Ref said:
'mad sweeney said:
Bettis treatment
Officiated correctly, XL probably would have been an ugly war of attrition; a barely-remembered close game that could have gone either way. But because of the calls made, the league's subsequent denial that anything was wrong with those calls, and Leavy's admission of guilt so much later, this game will never go away.
Huffington Post article on Denver/Balt game
One cannot say the game lacked drama as both teams punched back and forth into double overtime. But it also was one of the ugliest postseason games ever, and referee Bill Vinovich and his officiating crew decidedly influenced the game in Baltimore's favor.
ETA: The second link will provide the specifics. strange how so many of the slanted calls occurred on crucial 3rd downs.

Since ref is getting all serious and defensive (like they all do) I guess I'll play...First of all, nobody said anything about refs having "an agenda". You made that leap in order to bolster the argument you were about to make. That's always the side to take and an easy strategy. Make it seem like the doubters of the oh-so Holy Refs are wearing tinfoil hats. The other discredit game is to make them out to be bitter homers. Convenient, cop-out positions. Save it, that's not the argument. Nobody is claiming some fix or whatever either, get real.What people question is bias. Favoritism. It's human nature for gods sake, you know that. Suh or Manning? Pats or Raiders? Who's going to get more of the calls there? Look, refs aren't dumb enough to put their biases on gross display (most of the time), but in a split second they can certainly slant to one side or another...and do. To try and claim otherwise is what's crazy. It's funny how big of a pedestal refs like to put themselves on. All ethical, all the time. Please. Every vocation has all types of crooked f**ks, but no, not referees, they would never. And when they #### up, it's clearly just a mistake...and we all have no idea how hard it is. :rolleyes:

'BRONG said:
'drummer said:
Coined by me, btw. :bowtie:And how are your LA Lakers doing? And SF Giants and LA Kings, I imagine...
You left out Arsenal. And I'm a Sharks guy all the way to their inagural season.

'Stinkin Ref said:
'mad sweeney said:
Bettis treatment
Officiated correctly, XL probably would have been an ugly war of attrition; a barely-remembered close game that could have gone either way. But because of the calls made, the league's subsequent denial that anything was wrong with those calls, and Leavy's admission of guilt so much later, this game will never go away.
Huffington Post article on Denver/Balt game
One cannot say the game lacked drama as both teams punched back and forth into double overtime. But it also was one of the ugliest postseason games ever, and referee Bill Vinovich and his officiating crew decidedly influenced the game in Baltimore's favor.
ETA: The second link will provide the specifics. strange how so many of the slanted calls occurred on crucial 3rd downs.
this has nothing to do with officials having an agenda heading into a game.....officials "kick" calls all the time.....this has nothing to do with anything....I am assuming when you guys say "Bettis Treatment" you are meaning the officials wanted to see PIT win since he was retiring, etc....I am simply saying that is idiotic and completely different from officials kicking calls throughoutthe course of a game....

this has nothing to do with officials having an agenda heading into a game.....
maybe, maybe not. that's exactly what my 1st post said. maybe it does, maybe it doesn't have to do with salting the post season with a good story :shrug: Denver lost because they couldn't stop Balt from scoring from 70 yards out, but the refs certainly kept it close enough to get to that point.there can be a number of plausible reasons for an entire officiating crew to boot an entire post season game. Some chalk an entire postseason game of 1-sided calls up to incompetence of the hand-picked ref crews or some (Pereira) chalk it up to the game being played in the cold. but who really knows?

Since ref is getting all serious and defensive (like they all do) I guess I'll play...First of all, nobody said anything about refs having "an agenda". You made that leap in order to bolster the argument you were about to make. That's always the side to take and an easy strategy. Make it seem like the doubters of the oh-so Holy Refs are wearing tinfoil hats. The other discredit game is to make them out to be bitter homers. Convenient, cop-out positions. Save it, that's not the argument. Nobody is claiming some fix or whatever either, get real.What people question is bias. Favoritism. It's human nature for gods sake, you know that. Suh or Manning? Pats or Raiders? Who's going to get more of the calls there? Look, refs aren't dumb enough to put their biases on gross display (most of the time), but in a split second they can certainly slant to one side or another...and do. To try and claim otherwise is what's crazy. It's funny how big of a pedestal refs like to put themselves on. All ethical, all the time. Please. Every vocation has all types of crooked f**ks, but no, not referees, they would never. And when they #### up, it's clearly just a mistake...and we all have no idea how hard it is. :rolleyes:
simply reponding to the initial direction and title of this thread that the officials are goig into this game with the mindset that they are going to "give" calls to one side or the other....if you don't call that agenda, call it whatever you want....but it is the point the OP was conveying...it just doesn't happen as much as the fans of losing teams or vegas bets think it does...

this has nothing to do with officials having an agenda heading into a game.....
maybe, maybe not. that's exactly what my 1st post said. maybe it does, maybe it doesn't have to do with salting the post season with a good story :shrug: Denver lost because they couldn't stop Balt from scoring from 70 yards out, but the refs certainly kept it close enough to get to that point.there can be a number of plausible reasons for an entire officiating crew to boot an entire post season game. Some chalk an entire postseason game of 1-sided calls up to incompetence of the hand-picked ref crews or some (Pereira) chalk it up to the game being played in the cold. but who really knows?
or because they took a knee because they were "in shock" and they didn't have confidence that their 18 million dollar QB with over 30 seconds left and two timeouts couldn't move the ball into FG range.....thought they brought him in and paid him that kind of coin for these EXACT situations.....thats why he makes the big bucks, no...or because they get a rarity in two special teams TD's and they still can't win the game.....or because they chose to run instead of going for a pass by their 18 million dollar QB that had they got a first down would have allowed them not to give the ball back to BAL...

or the fact that two of the best pass rushers were complete no shows....or that thier hall of fame conerback probably played his worst game EVER and was burned repeatedly....

no it was the refs trying to help make a nice story for Ray Lewis....got it....

no it was the refs trying to help make a nice story for Ray Lewis....
maybe. maybe it was a Vegas thing. maybe Pereira is on to something and it was just really cold outside and so the officials froze up. :shrug:I think you are the only one throwing absolutes around in here. I just mentioned it as merely being a possibility.

no it was the refs trying to help make a nice story for Ray Lewis....
maybe. maybe it was a Vegas thing. maybe Pereira is on to something and it was just really cold outside and so the officials froze up. :shrug:I think you are the only one throwing absolutes around in here. I just mentioned it as merely being a possibility.
I'm not saying there aren't "dirty refs" out there....simply that it is more fiction than fact....and with the direction of this thread, it is like people are looking to make some excuses based on the officials before their team has even lost.....at least you waited till after the game was over.....you throw around things like "the refs certainly kept it close enough to get to that point" and it looks like the same old tired excuse....so we throw around statements like that as if "if it weren't for the refs we would have won".....I simply showed you through my response, that DEN might have had a few other things they should have been worrying about...

Since ref is getting all serious and defensive (like they all do) I guess I'll play...

First of all, nobody said anything about refs having "an agenda". You made that leap in order to bolster the argument you were about to make. That's always the side to take and an easy strategy. Make it seem like the doubters of the oh-so Holy Refs are wearing tinfoil hats. The other discredit game is to make them out to be bitter homers. Convenient, cop-out positions. Save it, that's not the argument. Nobody is claiming some fix or whatever either, get real.

What people question is bias. Favoritism. It's human nature for gods sake, you know that. Suh or Manning? Pats or Raiders? Who's going to get more of the calls there? Look, refs aren't dumb enough to put their biases on gross display (most of the time), but in a split second they can certainly slant to one side or another...and do. To try and claim otherwise is what's crazy.

It's funny how big of a pedestal refs like to put themselves on. All ethical, all the time. Please. Every vocation has all types of crooked f**ks, but no, not referees, they would never. And when they #### up, it's clearly just a mistake...and we all have no idea how hard it is. :rolleyes:
simply reponding to the initial direction and title of this thread that the officials are goig into this game with the mindset that they are going to "give" calls to one side or the other....if you don't call that agenda, call it whatever you want....but it is the point the OP was conveying...
It does not say that at all. You decided to get defensive and interpet it that way. I simply said, "If (kind of a key word here) it happens again, who will it be? And why?". It's a hypothetical. And since I think we all can agree it's happened before in varying degrees, I thought it might be fun to talk about it beforehand. God knows everything else has been talked about, what's the big deal?
it just doesn't happen as much as the fans of losing teams or vegas bets think it does...
So what, the bigger point is that it DOES happen.

Since ref is getting all serious and defensive (like they all do) I guess I'll play...
integrity is, always has been, and always will be the foundation of officiating....so you are damn right we get defensive...these dudes are the best of the best, and you really don't get this far if you aren't of the mindset that your integrity is on a pedestal...you get weeded out pretty quick....these guys do work really hard and most of them would work this game or any of the post season games for free.....cause it is an honor.....an honor to be selected to work the biggest games out of all your peers....the last thing these guys are going to do is go into a game with some selfish mindset that could jeapordize everything that got them to where they are....I prefer to give them the benfit of the doubt if they kick a call, miss it, or f' it up....not that they want to see Bettis or Lewis go out in a storybook ending.....they could honestly give a rats ### about that....but there are those that think they do.....

First of all, nobody said anything about refs having "an agenda". You made that leap in order to bolster the argument you were about to make. That's always the side to take and an easy strategy. Make it seem like the doubters of the oh-so Holy Refs are wearing tinfoil hats. The other discredit game is to make them out to be bitter homers. Convenient, cop-out positions. Save it, that's not the argument. Nobody is claiming some fix or whatever either, get real.

What people question is bias. Favoritism. It's human nature for gods sake, you know that. Suh or Manning? Pats or Raiders? Who's going to get more of the calls there? Look, refs aren't dumb enough to put their biases on gross display (most of the time), but in a split second they can certainly slant to one side or another...and do. To try and claim otherwise is what's crazy.

It's funny how big of a pedestal refs like to put themselves on. All ethical, all the time. Please. Every vocation has all types of crooked f**ks, but no, not referees, they would never. And when they #### up, it's clearly just a mistake...and we all have no idea how hard it is. :rolleyes:
simply reponding to the initial direction and title of this thread that the officials are goig into this game with the mindset that they are going to "give" calls to one side or the other....if you don't call that agenda, call it whatever you want....but it is the point the OP was conveying...
It does not say that at all. You decided to get defensive and interpet it that way. I simply said, "If (kind of a key word here) it happens again, who will it be? And why?". It's a hypothetical. And since I think we all can agree it's happened before in varying degrees, I thought it might be fun to talk about it beforehand. God knows everything else has been talked about, what's the big deal?
it just doesn't happen as much as the fans of losing teams or vegas bets think it does...
So what, the bigger point is that it DOES happen.
I'll be completely honest....until now I didn't even realize you were the OP....(hows that for a ref paying attention?..)..and I didn't really pay much attention to your opening post....I was responding more to the thread title which says "who will get the big call from the zebras".....using the word get in that context and the way that question is asked indicates that a team will "get" a big call.....not that they will earn it or that it may just happen to be a big call that goes intheir favor....it implies that the refs go into the game thinking they are going to make a big call one way or the other and you are trying to figure out who they like....it's kinda like the whole Raider thing....people think the league and the Refs hate the Raiders and that's why they get so many penalties, etc....when it actually might be that they earn those penalties and they suck....

Both these teams were among the most penalized in the league this past season. I'm a little miffed that these two collections of miscreants were allowed to advance to the league's ultimate showcase.

integrity is, always has been, and always will be the foundation of officiating....so you are damn right we get defensive...these dudes are the best of the best, and you really don't get this far if you aren't of the mindset that your integrity is on a pedestal...you get weeded out pretty quick....these guys do work really hard and most of them would work this game or any of the post season games for free.....cause it is an honor.....an honor to be selected to work the biggest games out of all your peers....the last thing these guys are going to do is go into a game with some selfish mindset that could jeapordize everything that got them to where they are....I prefer to give them the benfit of the doubt if they kick a call, miss it, or f' it up....not that they want to see Bettis or Lewis go out in a storybook ending.....they could honestly give a rats ### about that....but there are those that think they do.....
You are up to your eyeballs in horse-shi t and you don't even know it. Upon further review, this is indeed the perfect vocation for you, amongst all those pristine souls.

You are up to your eyeballs in horse-shi t and you don't even know it. Upon further review, this is indeed the perfect vocation for you, amongst all those pristine souls.
think whatever you want.....eta: to be honest, I'm proud of what I do and give a ton of respect to the sports I work at the levels I do....I can only imagine how these guys feel...

Hmmm, I thought the question had more to do with which team had better floppers and more effective complainers on their squad...which is clearly the Ravens. Hands down.Didn't really think about the refs having an intentional influence.

with the ray lewis deer antler scandal, i expect the conspiracy to be in the favor of the niners. that is, if there is a conspiracy.

simply reponding to the initial direction and title of this thread that the officials are goig into this game with the mindset that they are going to "give" calls to one side or the other....if you don't call that agenda, call it whatever you want....but it is the point the OP was conveying...it just doesn't happen as much as the fans of losing teams or vegas bets think it does...
The title doesn't have anything to do with a mindset going into the game. There's no motivating factors mentioned. Big calls can happen without premeditation or agenda. Seems like your overly defensive position on the issue saw things (at least in the OP) that simply aren't there.

I like how all refs are the same to you and you know how all of them think and feel.

Hmmm, I thought the question had more to do with which team had better floppers and more effective complainers on their squad...which is clearly the Ravens. Hands down.Didn't really think about the refs having an intentional influence.
In football? Overall, I think the officiating is decent. My biggest problem is inconsistency; this years pass interference calls/non-calls have been brutal.A possible agenda? I don't think the NFL likes games to get out of hand - not good for ratings. I think I've seen refs "keep a team in the game" when they fall behind by a wide margin.We've had at least one crooked NBA ref. And I won't even watch the NBA partly due to horrible officiating.

integrity is, always has been, and always will be the foundation of officiating....so you are damn right we get defensive...these dudes are the best of the best, and you really don't get this far if you aren't of the mindset that your integrity is on a pedestal...you get weeded out pretty quick....

these guys do work really hard and most of them would work this game or any of the post season games for free.....cause it is an honor.....an honor to be selected to work the biggest games out of all your peers....the last thing these guys are going to do is go into a game with some selfish mindset that could jeapordize everything that got them to where they are....

I prefer to give them the benfit of the doubt if they kick a call, miss it, or f' it up....not that they want to see Bettis or Lewis go out in a storybook ending.....they could honestly give a rats ### about that....but there are those that think they do.....
The NBA refs make me doubt your integrity claim. (I have no doubt there are many hard-working, igh integrity officials through-out amateur and professional sports.) This season's labor issues with the refs makes me doubt they would "do it for free".

Those that voted the ravens won
Meh, it was pretty even the whole game. No egregious misses, other than the Akers flop, and the Niners have no room to complain after they "stopped" Atlanta on 4th down to win the game in the exact same manner.

story on officials

I thought they missed reed offsides on the two point conversion and the pass interference at the end was the difference between winning and losing.

The best officials should be out there for the biggest game.

Those that voted the ravens won
Meh, it was pretty even the whole game. No egregious misses, other than the Akers flop, and the Niners have no room to complain after they "stopped" Atlanta on 4th down to win the game in the exact same manner.
LOL must have watched a different game. Heavily in Ravens favor.
If it was heavily in the Ravens' favor then there would've been a flag on every play Culliver was out there and there wouldn't have been a flag on the near decapitation of Akers. It was pretty even.

Two of SF's most important scoring opportunities, with the game on the line, ended with the refs looking the other way.A two-point conversion to tie the game...where offsides/encroachment was not called.And a PI/holding no-call...that was clearly beyond 5 yards.Pats, Steelers, etc would've got at least one of those calls, if not both.HTH.

Two of SF's most important scoring opportunities, with the game on the line, ended with the refs looking the other way.

A two-point conversion to tie the game...where offsides/encroachment was not called.

And a PI/holding no-call...that was clearly beyond 5 yards.

Pats, Steelers, etc would've got at least one of those calls, if not both.

HTH.
He wasn't offsides. Reed timed it perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread