What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Cardinals should... (1 Viewer)

Eminence

Footballguy
1.) Make a move for Alex Smith - Considering that there is no "elite" prospect at Quarterback and that we don't know if said prospect would fall to us, I would feel much better bringing in Alex Smith.

I saw an interview with Alex Smith and the kid had absolute fire in his eyes. He wants to play.

Between him and Kevin Kolb, one of the two can be a starter for this team. That however, might be the sole reason we lose out on Alex Smith.

Why would someone want to come here to compete for the job when another team may hand him one?

2.) Trade away Beanie Wells and sign Reggie Bush in Free Agency - Beanie Wells can probably garner about 4th Round pick at this point and has a very team-friendly cap number.

I could see a team like the Bengals or Packers giving this guy a shot; a one-year "prove it" contract.

Reggie Bush is the perfect safety-valve for our team because it has NO OFFENSIVE LINE. I am much more confident in Kevin Kolb (Alex Smith) dumping it off to Reggie Bush than I would Ryan Williams, Stephens-Howling, and especially Wells.

Bush is another guy with a lot of fire. He wants to be lead back. Let's feed him and see what we've got in Ryan Williams.

Felix Jones wouldn't be another bad alternative if the price is right. Maybe Mendenhall if he slips through the cracks? We need a change at this position though.

3.) Pick up at least ONE lineman in Free Agency - The following guys are Free Agents next season, we would be FOOLS not to make a play on them if they become available:

Andre Smith

Ryan Clady

Branden Albert

Jake Long

Phil Loadholt

Jermon Bushrod

Make Levi Brown compete, shuffle a few guys around, draft a lineman in either Rounds 1 or 2, and put a combination of guys on the field that will keep our Quarterback upright.

4.) Sign Ray Edwards and make a push for Henry Melton - I know I'm suggesting a lot of free agents but we have the talent to play a 4 - 3 defense.

I remember how this guy played in Minnesota a few years back and would love to see him in a rotation with Darnell Dockett and Calais Campbell.

Give him a one-year "prove it" contract. As far as Melton goes, the guy is an absolute beast at the DT position in a 4-3. We could have a destructive Defensive Line, who's to say we can't move Dockett back to DT?

5.) Kick the wheels on Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - I know we rarely see players return whom are traded BUT the regime who traded him away is gone now and if the price is right I'd love to see him play alongside Patrick Peterson.

He's going to be quite pricey though and another poorly run front office will probably throw more money than they should at this guy.

Would love to see him back in Cardinals Red.

-

Besides that, draft smart. This is a time where we can create a new identity for our team. There are a lot of players on Free Agency that will contribute to teams next year.

We definitely need to pull the trigger on a Quarterback if he's there but if he's not, go Offensive Line and grab a few linebackers.

1.) Make a move for Alex Smith - Considering that there is no "elite" prospect at Quarterback and that we don't know if said prospect would fall to us, I would feel much better bringing in Alex Smith.

I saw an interview with Alex Smith and the kid had absolute fire in his eyes. He wants to play.

Between him and Kevin Kolb, one of the two can be a starter for this team. That however, might be the sole reason we lose out on Alex Smith.

Why would someone want to come here to compete for the job when another team may hand him one?

2.) Trade away Beanie Wells and sign Reggie Bush in Free Agency - Beanie Wells can probably garner about 4th Round pick at this point and has a very team-friendly cap number.

I could see a team like the Bengals or Packers giving this guy a shot; a one-year "prove it" contract.

Reggie Bush is the perfect safety-valve for our team because it has NO OFFENSIVE LINE. I am much more confident in Kevin Kolb (Alex Smith) dumping it off to Reggie Bush than I would Ryan Williams, Stephens-Howling, and especially Wells.

Bush is another guy with a lot of fire. He wants to be lead back. Let's feed him and see what we've got in Ryan Williams.

Felix Jones wouldn't be another bad alternative if the price is right. Maybe Mendenhall if he slips through the cracks? We need a change at this position though.

3.) Pick up at least ONE lineman in Free Agency - The following guys are Free Agents next season, we would be FOOLS not to make a play on them if they become available:

Andre Smith

Ryan Clady

Branden Albert

Jake Long

Phil Loadholt

Jermon Bushrod

Make Levi Brown compete, shuffle a few guys around, draft a lineman in either Rounds 1 or 2, and put a combination of guys on the field that will keep our Quarterback upright.

4.) Sign Ray Edwards and make a push for Henry Melton - I know I'm suggesting a lot of free agents but we have the talent to play a 4 - 3 defense.

I remember how this guy played in Minnesota a few years back and would love to see him in a rotation with Darnell Dockett and Calais Campbell.

Give him a one-year "prove it" contract. As far as Melton goes, the guy is an absolute beast at the DT position in a 4-3. We could have a destructive Defensive Line, who's to say we can't move Dockett back to DT?

5.) Kick the wheels on Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - I know we rarely see players return whom are traded BUT the regime who traded him away is gone now and if the price is right I'd love to see him play alongside Patrick Peterson.

He's going to be quite pricey though and another poorly run front office will probably throw more money than they should at this guy.

-

Besides that, draft smart. This is a time where we can create a new identity for our team. There are a lot of players on Free Agency that will contribute to teams next year.

We definitely need to pull the trigger on a Quarterback if he's there but if he's not, go Offensive Line and grab a few linebackers.
Beanie??? Is he even tradeable?

kolb's contract

7/29/2011: Signed a six-year, $63.5 million contract. The deal contains $12 million guaranteed, including a $10 million signing bonus and Kolb's first-year base salary. Annual $500,000 workout bonuses are available throughout the contract's life. 2013: $9 million (+ $2 million roster bonus due 3/15), 2014-2016: $10 million, 2017: Free Agent

i think that means if they cut kolb, they would owe him

12/5=2.4

2.4* 3 = 7.2 million

can anyone confirm this is how it works?

kolb's contract

7/29/2011: Signed a six-year, $63.5 million contract. The deal contains $12 million guaranteed, including a $10 million signing bonus and Kolb's first-year base salary. Annual $500,000 workout bonuses are available throughout the contract's life. 2013: $9 million (+ $2 million roster bonus due 3/15), 2014-2016: $10 million, 2017: Free Agent

12/5=2.4

2.4* 3 = 7.2 million

I believe only the signing bonus is pro-rated over the contract. The other $2M would be considered paid already. It was guaranteed but not signing bonus.10/5=2

2* 3 = 6.0 million that would be accelerated to the current year if he is cut.

Last edited by a moderator:
kolb's contract

12/5=2.4

2.4* 3 = 7.2 million

I believe you are basically correct but the cap hit can be pro-rated if they cut him after June 1st. I found a good explantion here: http://www.steelersd...cap-dead-money/

Andre Smith

Ryan Clady

Branden Albert

Jake Long

Phil Loadholt

Jermon Bushrod

-

Beanie??? Is he even tradeable?
Cuttable.

I have to say I would not be signing high priced free agents to fix this team. Since the team, according to John Clayton, is currently 723,000 over the cap, I would go in the exact opposite direction. I think a total rebuild is in order.I would part ways with the following players (trade them if possible):Kerry Rhodes - 4.5 M in the last year of his contractStuart Bradley - he getting paid too much as a back upKevin Kolb - he could be a good QB but he can't reach his potential behind this oline. His contract is just too expensive to allow this to continue.I would consider any trade for any player except for Darrel Washington and Patrick Peterson. Draft: (I might use my top 3 picks on Oline)Use their first round pick on Eric Fisher. If they manage to draft a couple of good olinemen, I cut Levi Brown after June 1st. Good chance this team will be terrible in year one but it is all about building from a solid foundation. They just can't continue to treated their QBs like human pinatas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say I would not be signing high priced free agents to fix this team. Since the team, according to John Clayton, is currently 723,000 over the cap, I would go in the exact opposite direction. I think a total rebuild is in order.
Cap-wise, how much of this is Larry Fitzgerald's fault? How can a team spend so much and be so futile?

I have to say I would not be signing high priced free agents to fix this team. Since the team, according to John Clayton, is currently 723,000 over the cap, I would go in the exact opposite direction. I think a total rebuild is in order.
Cap-wise, how much of this is Larry Fitzgerald's fault? How can a team spend so much and be so futile?
None of it is Fitz's fault.
He may not be the party responsible for giving out all those bad contracts and ruining the cap, but when a guy got a contract making him the highest paid receiver in history, you can't say he has nothing to do with the team not having money to spend elsewhere.Similarly, it's not Mark Sanchez's fault his team decided to pay him way more than he was worth because they were morons (seriously, they said he was one of 5 QBs who had won 30 games in his first 3 years, so they gave him franchise QB money instead of spending it on the defense that was actually responsible for those wins). If a team offered me $80M to be their QB, I'd take it in a heartbeat. It wouldn't be my fault they ruined their cap, but my contract would still be the reason their cap was ruined.

You got this all wrong. This is what they need to do. Sign and or draft an entire new offensive line. Also,how can you complain about Wells and not Fitz. If Wells was ALLOWED to play the whole year his stats would have been better than Fitz. I guess people can't see the correlation between Fitz and Wells both sucking this year because the offensive line was terrible. Fitz played 17 games and had 95 points in my NPPR league and Wells had 51 in 8 games.The other issue I have had with all the "experts" is how they think R. Williams is better than Wells. What has Williams ever done? Look at his stats in College and compare them to Wells. Be real, FF is about Stats. I saw Williams play before he got hurt and he is not the answer.The point is, the Card's front office is as bad as their offensive line.

You got this all wrong. This is what they need to do. Sign and or draft an entire new offensive line.

Also,how can you complain about Wells and not Fitz. If Wells was ALLOWED to play the whole year his stats would have been better than Fitz. I guess people can't see the correlation between Fitz and Wells both sucking this year because the offensive line was terrible. Fitz played 17 games and had 95 points in my NPPR league and Wells had 51 in 8 games.

The other issue I have had with all the "experts" is how they think R. Williams is better than Wells. What has Williams ever done? Look at his stats in College and compare them to Wells. Be real, FF is about Stats. I saw Williams play before he got hurt and he is not the answer.

The point is, the Card's front office is as bad as their offensive line.
I cannot believe that Rod Graves was able to keep his job for the length of time he did. The only answer here is to spend draft picks and free agent $$ on fixing the O-Line. RB's are a dime a dozen so go out and get a scrub off the beach with LSH as the change of pace back. Alex Smith is definitely an upgrade to Kolb but i would rather fix the O-line and spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on the best available QB. To be honest, as a long time Cards fan I have finally thrown in the towel. I refuse to support the Bidwells any longer. As of this upcoming year I am now officially a Denver Bronco fan. Good luck AZ but you are now dead to me.

He may not be the party responsible for giving out all those bad contracts and ruining the cap, but when a guy got a contract making him the highest paid receiver in history, you can't say he has nothing to do with the team not having money to spend elsewhere.Similarly, it's not Mark Sanchez's fault his team decided to pay him way more than he was worth because they were morons (seriously, they said he was one of 5 QBs who had won 30 games in his first 3 years, so they gave him franchise QB money instead of spending it on the defense that was actually responsible for those wins). If a team offered me $80M to be their QB, I'd take it in a heartbeat. It wouldn't be my fault they ruined their cap, but my contract would still be the reason their cap was ruined.
This really doesn't make much sense. Slightly overpaying superstars that may have skipped town makes sense, drastically overpaying scrubs that were already under contract doesn't. One player is legit, one player is a back-up waiting to happen.Keeping professional, hardworking, community oriented studs is what teams should do. Even if you feel he's overpaid, Fitz doesn't ruin the Cardinals cap. The same things can't be said about Mark Sanchez. Making comparisons between the two, salary cap or otherwise, is lazy or just plain incorrect.

Its very hard to get better quickly without a real good Qb or great defense and the Cards don't have either. I know they have a good defense but its not the kind that can carry a team to the playoffs with that offense. I agree with donnybrook you need to cut dead players eat the cap for one year and build the Oline thru the draft even if it means going with Lindley at Qb for one more season

6. Go to the Pac12
:goodposting:THough no point further diluting the conference with a team that would struggle against Utah or Colorado. I think they should be part of a package deal that gives all of AZ south of the Mogollan Rim back to Mexico. Then Goodell could have his international team.

Build the O-line thru the draft.And not waste all that $ OP wants to spend in free agency. Both Smith and Kolb won't be with the Cardinals.

You got this all wrong. This is what they need to do. Sign and or draft an entire new offensive line. Also,how can you complain about Wells and not Fitz. If Wells was ALLOWED to play the whole year his stats would have been better than Fitz. I guess people can't see the correlation between Fitz and Wells both sucking this year because the offensive line was terrible. Fitz played 17 games and had 95 points in my NPPR league and Wells had 51 in 8 games.The other issue I have had with all the "experts" is how they think R. Williams is better than Wells. What has Williams ever done? Look at his stats in College and compare them to Wells. Be real, FF is about Stats. I saw Williams play before he got hurt and he is not the answer.The point is, the Card's front office is as bad as their offensive line.
I have a couple questions about this post. First off when did NFL teams start rating their players by the fantasy football points they get? Why did the Cardinals play 17 games? How was Wells not ALLOWED to play the whole year, he was injured? and how the hell can you even compare Larry Fitz to Beanie Wells?Considering how bad the quarterbacks were once Kolb got hurt I think most people would give Fitz a pass, he has done well with average or below average quarterbacks before but he had guys throwing all around him that shouldn't be playing division 2 football.

I posted this in the Cards coach search thread.

I'm of the opinion that the Cardinals organization is poisoned from the top down. I think ownership is so bad that the team doesn't have much of a chance to be very competitive. Yes, they were in a super bowl just a few years ago, but if you take a look at the history of the Bidwell ownership they have rarely been considered a top team. I'm thinking that their more recent success was mostly just due to random chance. Teams will be worse and better over time, but under Bidwell I'm thinking that they will continue to regularly fall beneath the average team.Am I way off base here?I'm asking because I'm wondering if fans feel the coach search just feels pointless due to ownership.
Coach search. Personnel decisions. Etc. I don't think it matters as long as the Bidwells own this team. My hunch is that players all across the NFL know this. I wonder what a poll would look like if players were asked which teams they would choose not to play for? Something tells me the Bidwells would be the main reason that Arizona would rank near the bottom.

I'm of the opinion that the Cardinals organization is poisoned from the top down. I think ownership is so bad that the team doesn't have much of a chance to be very competitive. Yes, they were in a super bowl just a few years ago, but if you take a look at the history of the Bidwell ownership they have rarely been considered a top team. I'm thinking that their more recent success was mostly just due to random chance. Teams will be worse and better over time, but under Bidwell I'm thinking that they will continue to regularly fall beneath the average team.Am I way off base here?I'm asking because I'm wondering if fans feel the coach search just feels pointless due to ownership.
Coach search. Personnel decisions. Etc. I don't think it matters as long as the Bidwells own this team. My hunch is that players all across the NFL know this. I wonder what a poll would look like if players were asked which teams they would choose not to play for? Something tells me the Bidwells would be the main reason that Arizona would rank near the bottom.
It's Bidwill, not -well.

I'm of the opinion that the Cardinals organization is poisoned from the top down. I think ownership is so bad that the team doesn't have much of a chance to be very competitive. Yes, they were in a super bowl just a few years ago, but if you take a look at the history of the Bidwell ownership they have rarely been considered a top team. I'm thinking that their more recent success was mostly just due to random chance. Teams will be worse and better over time, but under Bidwell I'm thinking that they will continue to regularly fall beneath the average team.

Am I way off base here?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if fans feel the coach search just feels pointless due to ownership.
It's Bidwill, not -well.
Thanks. Appreciate you pointing that out.As a Arizona local do you have comment on the bold portion above?

Users who are viewing this thread