What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why does San Diego suck? (1 Viewer)

It doesn't compute. I'm not asking for New Orleans, because that's a random perfect storm (forgive the pun), but on paper it should be a jumping ####### hotspot city. That's our greatest spot and instead of being that, it's like Orange County meets Norfolk on Zoloft.

I love San Diego for short visits, but I could never live there. There's no....personality. And maybe that comes with perfect weather every day or beach living where people can spread out and not have to talk to others. Seasons harden people up, make us stay inside and seek entertainment. We can't just run out on the sand and fly a kite every day. We have to effort for it some fun. Cold weather makes us pack into tiny bars, huddle around TVs, root on sports, talk to one another. Not so, San Diego...And think about other CA cities. LA is full of people with GIANT personality trying to make it big. San Francisco is the west coast version of NYC. It's brimming with synergy and smarts. San Diego is where postal workers go to retire.

I love San Diego for short visits, but I could never live there. There's no....personality. And maybe that comes with perfect weather every day or beach living where people can spread out and not have to talk to others. Seasons harden people up, make us stay inside and seek entertainment. We can't just run out on the sand and fly a kite every day. We have to effort for it some fun. Cold weather makes us pack into tiny bars, huddle around TVs, root on sports, talk to one another. Not so, San Diego...

And think about other CA cities. LA is full of people with GIANT personality trying to make it big. San Francisco is the west coast version of NYC. It's brimming with synergy and smarts. San Diego is where postal workers go to retire.
This is exactly what San Diego is. It's everything every other city is, w/o the effort.

the military presence and the meth head population drag it all down a few clicks
I don't know the extent of the meth thing, but meth heads are very easily driven out. That's nothing. The military is a different story. Can't we move them up a few miles?

It doesn't compute. I'm not asking for New Orleans, because that's a random perfect storm (forgive the pun), but on paper it should be a jumping ####### hotspot city. That's our greatest spot and instead of being that, it's like Orange County meets Norfolk on Zoloft.
I'm guessing you haven't spent any time on 4th and 5th south of Broadway eh?

the military presence and the meth head population drag it all down a few clicks
I don't know the extent of the meth thing, but meth heads are very easily driven out. That's nothing. The military is a different story. Can't we move them up a few miles?
Ha, doesn't surprise me the gun grabber doesn't like the military. For the record I love San Diego.
I spent yesterday running through Arlington visiting the graves of my father, uncle, three grandparents, and my best friends parents. In conclusion, shut the #### up.

If your real life personality is anything like your online persona, I'm guessing it's because you're a horse's ###.

If your real life personality is anything like your online persona, I'm guessing it's because you're a horse's ###.
It's not, but I get your comment. But it's irrelevant. Who hasn't been disappointed by a trip to San Diego?
If you are desperate, go to Hooters. My research indicates that San Diego has the best looking Hooters girls in the country.By a mile.

They are always the girls who end up in the Top-10 in the annual International Hooters pageant.

Home is San Francisco. I love the beach and went to college in sd. Was fine, but i couldn't wait to get back north. San Diego was becoming an extension of orange county . Very little culture and soul. Fun for a vacation but sparse on substance. It's another chicken/egg.... not sure that that niche is sustainable down there.

If you can't enjoy San Diego, you are doing it wrong. It may not have the character if a New York, Chicago or San Fran, but there is still plenty there to enjoy.

Poor Norfolk.

Disclaimer: I've never been to San Diegobut if you're having to give me a couple block area where the fun is in a city like San Diego, that pretty much proves Apple Jack's point.

Everything I've ever heard about SD is "it's so great, the weather..."

It's never "we went to San Diego and had such a great time, we did x and y and z"

In a city like San Diego, you shouldn't be telling me about a couple block area, you should be calling out different districts/areas.

San Diego makes Cincinnati seem interesting. If only the weather...

Disclaimer: I've never been to San Diegobut if you're having to give me a couple block area where the fun is in a city like San Diego, that pretty much proves Apple Jack's point.

It's never "we went to San Diego and had such a great time, we did x and y and z"

In a city like San Diego, you shouldn't be telling me about a couple block area, you should be calling out different districts/areas.

I've never been there either, but I definitely agree with this.A city of SD's size and natural advantages should have many more hot spots. And, there should be hot spots of varying types for those with different interests.

When I think of SD, I think of weather, beaches, and a zoo. I guess I can now add 4th and 5th south of Broadway, whatever that is. Anything else?

I've never been there either, but I definitely agree with this.A city of SD's size and natural advantages should have many more hot spots. And, there should be hot spots of varying types for those with different interests.

When I think of SD, I think of weather, beaches, and a zoo. I guess I can now add 4th and 5th south of Broadway, whatever that is. Anything else?
Any review of SD that includes the phrase "yeah, but other than the weather ..." (or its functional equivalent) completely misses the point. If you don't place much importance on the climate SD is not going to rank highly for you.

I've spent a lot of time there, and I get what the OP is saying.It's sort of a lifeless, spiritless city. Maybe it's because it's composed of so many transplants from all over the country and so nobody really cares that much (then again, you could say the same about NYC, and it's clearly not the case there)? Maybe it's because people there are lazy? It's a city without a sense of purpose. Without any real identity other than "weather is usually nice." Maybe that's just what happens in a town that doesn't have much adversity, where things are easy, breezy, and warm all the time. Hard to say.It probably peaked during the Three's Company era. Today it just feels like Detroit with nice beaches.

Any review of SD that includes the phrase "yeah, but other than the weather ..." (or its functional equivalent) completely misses the point. If you don't place much importance on the climate SD is not going to rank highly for you.
Everyone likes great weather. Everyone realizes San Diego has great weather. But, that, on its own, can't make it a great city.So, you have this great weather. Now what? Other than the beach, what do you do in this great weather? Where do you go? Or, do you just sit on your front porch all day and say, "This is such a blast sitting here on my porch in this weather"?

Where are the great hangouts? Are there a couple great retail strips with shops, restaurants, and bars? Are there really good clubs and small concert establishments? Are there fun markets to buy produce, meat, and seafood? Is there a cool historic district? Are there a couple great urban outdoor parks with open space, fountains, and statues where people like to hang and picnic? Are there huge national parks with cool mountains or caves or deserts to explore within easy driving distance? Are there museums? Operas? Other cultural centers?

This is what people want to know, but all we ever hear is: weather, beach, weather, beach, weather, beach. Those things are absolutely great, but a lot of people want more.

I love San Diego for short visits, but I could never live there. There's no....personality. And maybe that comes with perfect weather every day or beach living where people can spread out and not have to talk to others. Seasons harden people up, make us stay inside and seek entertainment. We can't just run out on the sand and fly a kite every day. We have to effort for it some fun. Cold weather makes us pack into tiny bars, huddle around TVs, root on sports, talk to one another. Not so, San Diego...And think about other CA cities. LA is full of people with GIANT personality trying to make it big. San Francisco is the west coast version of NYC. It's brimming with synergy and smarts. San Diego is where postal workers go to retire.
:goodposting:

I've spent a lot of time there, and I get what the OP is saying.

It's sort of a lifeless, spiritless city. Maybe it's because it's composed of so many transplants from all over the country and so nobody really cares that much (then again, you could say the same about NYC, and it's clearly not the case there)? Maybe it's because people there are lazy?

It's a city without a sense of purpose. Without any real identity other than "weather is usually nice." Maybe that's just what happens in a town that doesn't have much adversity, where things are easy, breezy, and warm all the time. Hard to say.

It probably peaked during the Three's Company era. Today it just feels like Detroit with nice beaches.
:lmao:

Everyone likes great weather. Everyone realizes San Diego has great weather. But, that, on its own, can't make it a great city.So, you have this great weather. Now what? Other than the beach, what do you do in this great weather? Where do you go? Or, do you just sit on your front porch all day and say, "This is such a blast sitting here on my porch in this weather"?

Where are the great hangouts? Are there a couple great retail strips with shops, restaurants, and bars? Are there really good clubs and small concert establishments? Are there fun markets to buy produce, meat, and seafood? Is there a cool historic district? Are there a couple great urban outdoor parks with open space, fountains, and statues where people like to hang and picnic? Are there huge national parks with cool mountains or caves or deserts to explore within easy driving distance? Are there museums? Operas? Other cultural centers?

This is what people want to know, but all we ever hear is: weather, beach, weather, beach, weather, beach. Those things are absolutely great, but a lot of people want more.
There are plenty of things to so in SD. It lacks the culture of an NY or DC, but I'd trade that in a heartbeat to be able to comfortably go outside every day of the year. The lack of "adversity" also means your average person is about 300% more friendly than in the northeast because they arent miserable about the weather. Everyone has their own individual preferences so I'm not saying it has to be everyone's favorite, but downplaying the weather as a general attraction is silly. No one says "yeah, Hawaii has great weather, but its really missing outdoor urban parks."

I visited SD a few years back. I get what the OP is saying but he is being a little harsh.There was a cool restaurant/bar/shopping district that was enjoyable. There is definitely a ton of beautiful women in the area. There is a great zoo to visit. SD is what it is. Not sure why it has to be something more. At least it is not awful like some crumbling cities in the US. SD is a laid-back, small city without much of a personality that has fantastic weather. I am sure some folks love it. Seems like a better place to live than to visit as a vacation destination.

There are plenty of things to so in SD.
For example?
No one says "yeah, Hawaii has great weather, but its really missing outdoor urban parks."
I agree. They list all the great things there are to do in Hawaii. They talk about hiking, volcanoes, water falls, beaches, Pearl Harbor, whale watching, catching a sunrise or sunset, road-side smoothie stands, helicopter tours, attending a traditional luau and participating in some of Hawaii's unique culture, and many other things.The point is, when people talk about Hawaii, they talk about more than just the weather. I'm sure there are tons of things to do in San Diego. I just have no idea what those things are because nobody talks about them.

Visited Whale's ###### about 8 or 9 years ago around New Year's. Went to a Chargers game, walked around La Jolla, enjoyed some of the night life and good restaurants. I enjoyed the trip but yeah, come to think of it, nothing about the place really grabbed me other than the incredible scenery which most of coastal CA has anyway. Then a year or two later we checked out San Francisco, much better experience overall.

It's not, but I get your comment. But it's irrelevant. Who hasn't been disappointed by a trip to San Diego?
One of the few places in the country I visited and left thinking that I could live there.
I got that impression from visiting Seattle in the summer. Absolutely loved it. I've never been there when it's raining, but summer up there is gorgeous.

Most people think SD has the best weather in the country. And it does......when you're near the beach. And to live near the beach, you need some serious cash. You go inland....it gets hot in the summer. One year I was at a conference at Hotel Del Coronado....what a great place. It was in June, and it was 75-80 degrees right on the beach. Unbelievable. Then I went to play golf at Steele Canyon which I think is about 45 minutes east of Coronado.....and the temperature was about 100. I was like, I didn't know that Phoenix was only 45 minutes away? That said, I have always loved visiting SD.

I don't get this.Old Town- best tortillas in the United States. Gas LampSan Diego ZooMuseumsSea WorldCoronadoWhat's not to love?

There are plenty of things to so in SD.
For example?
No one says "yeah, Hawaii has great weather, but its really missing outdoor urban parks."
I agree. They list all the great things there are to do in Hawaii. They talk about hiking, volcanoes, water falls, beaches, Pearl Harbor, whale watching, catching a sunrise or sunset, road-side smoothie stands, helicopter tours, attending a traditional luau and participating in some of Hawaii's unique culture, and many other things.The point is, when people talk about Hawaii, they talk about more than just the weather. I'm sure there are tons of things to do in San Diego. I just have no idea what those things are because nobody talks about them.
Ocean BeachMexican Food

Seafood

Surfing/water sports

Pseudo-legal weed

Year-round golf (freaking Torrey Pines is public and super-cheap for locals)

Baseball stadium in downtown location

Not my kind of town because it fails my #1 criteria (can you live there comfortably without having a car). But that's just my own thing- it's got a lot going for it. It's not Chicago or NY or SF, but only three cities are.

SD is what it is. Not sure why it has to be something more.
The OP thinks it should be something more based on it's size and awesome location, I assume.I think we have to determine what San Diego's comps are before determining if it should be more. It's a large coastal metro area, so we could compare it to places like LA, Miami, Tampa, Norfolk-Virginia Beach. Orlando, maybe? Houston? San Francisco and Boston?Size-wise, it's the 17th largest metro area in the US, just behind Seattle and Minneapolis and ahead of Tampa, St. Louis, and Baltimore.

Users who are viewing this thread