What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 2013 K Thread (1 Viewer)

NFL free agent signing period begins March 12th.

UFA kickers: Rob Bironas, Josh Brown, Phil Dawson, Nick Folk, Shayne Graham, Jason Hanson, Steven Hauschka, Ryan Longwell, Olindo Mare, Nick Novak, Mike Nugent, Lawrence Tynes

UFA punters: Britton Colquitt, Dustin Colquitt, Nick Harris, Reggie Hodges, Kevin Huber, Donnie Jones, Shane Lechler, Pat McAfee, Brian Moorman, Sav Rocca

UFA snappers: Jon Dorenbos, Andrew Economos, Thomas Gafford, Greg Warren

LINK

NFL Scouting Combine invitees:

[*]kickers: Brett Maher (Nebraska), Anthony Cantele (Kansas State), Dustin Hopkins (Florida State), Quinn Sharpe (Oklahoma State), Caleb Sturgis (Florida)

[*]punters: Josh Hubner (Arizona State), Scott Kovanda (Ball State), Bobby Cowan (Idaho), Ryan Allen (Louisiana Tech), Dylan Breeding (Arkansas), Alex Dunnachie (Hawaii), Jeff Locke (UCLA), Brad Wing (LSU)

[*]snappers: Luke Ingram (Hawaii)

LINK

Last edited by a moderator:
are any of these rookies considered virtual locks to be NFL starters next year....?seems to be a lot more question marks at the PK position heading into next year than in years past...tia

are any of these rookies considered virtual locks to be NFL starters next year....?seems to be a lot more question marks at the PK position heading into next year than in years past...tia
No virtual locks (if there even is such a thing). I'm working on compiling the various rankings and will be posting them in the next few days. So far the consensus rankings would be:1. Dustin Hopkins2. Caleb Sturgis3. Brett Maher

Since there aren't many K-related posts, I thought I'd throw this question in here.Where do last year's rookie Ks stand in current dynasty rankings? Not many dynasty rankings even cover kickers, probably because of the unpredictable swing by many offenses on a given year.Walsh led scoring in many standard scoring formats last year, has a good leg, and is young. The Vikings are not a consistent offense though.Tucker has a good leg, plays on a consistent offense, which is balanced.Legatron looked great to start the year, but missed a lot of FGs down the stretch. He didn't make many XPs on the year either, but that should change. But he has a booming leg. Do you think he'll improve on his FG%?Forbath didn't start the whole year for WAS, but was 17/18 on FGs.Walsh and Tucker seem good enough regardless of their age to warrant picking up. But do you see Zuerlein or Forbath to drop one of the established elder statesmen of Ks who are more known quantities and on good offensive teams? Guys like Bryant and Hanson are both old, but are steady and play on teams that score a lot of points.

Be careful of Hanson. He's an UFA and is considering retiring. If he plays he'll be the same reliable guy, which then gets to your strategy of deciding between a high floor guy like him vs. the high ceiling guys you mention above.

Be careful of Hanson. He's an UFA and is considering retiring. If he plays he'll be the same reliable guy, which then gets to your strategy of deciding between a high floor guy like him vs. the high ceiling guys you mention above.
Hanson's probably not the best example, because he's got probably only one more year at most. But someone like Bryant might have 2-3 years on a good offense. Since kickers are usually pretty easy to pick up, the question becomes whether you think any of the rookies have the ability to become an elite kicker, otherwise you're probably better off keeping the stable vet on a good team, then picking up someone else when he's done.

Word on the twittervine is that Giants will sign kicker Josh Brown today. LINK

An earlier rumor was that the 49ers might be interested in Lawrence Tynes.

I want to know more about this Havard Rugland fellow.
His first name is pronounced HO-var.Age: 28 years old.Height: 6'-2"Weight: 240 lbs.“I've lived all my life in Ålgårdof, a little town outside of Stavanger, Norway. I’ve played amateur soccer most of my life, but before working with Michael Husted, I never had a coach, or real training regarding kicking. So I was not sure what my level was like, compared to other kickers.” - RuglandHe's worked out for the Jets, Lions & Browns."It's not easy. He's got a life in Norway. He works with youth. He's got a job. He's got a dog." - agent McBride Baxter

Updated rankings compilation for kickers heading into this year's NFL draft: LINK
What did 2012 and 2011 look like pre draft for PK's. Do you have that data
Here's a few from 2012...Mel Kiper

1. Greg Zuerlein

2. Philip Welch

3. Blair Walsh

4. Derek Dimke

5. Randy Bullock

Draftcountdown

1. Blair Walsh Georgia

2. Greg Zuerlein Missouri Western St.

3. Carson Wiggs Purdue

4. Philip Welch Wisconsin

5. Danny Hrapmann Southern Miss

6. Derek Dimke Illinois

7. Randy Bullock Texas A&M

8. Dave Teggart Connecticut

9. David Ruffer Notre Dame

GBNreport

1. Blair Walsh Georgia

2. Dave Teggart UConn

3. Derek Dimke Illinois

4. Carson Wiggs Purdue

5. Danny Hrapmann Southern Mississippi

6. Phillip Welch Wisconsin

7. David Ruffer Notre Dame

8. Will Snyderwine Duke

9. Kevin Goessling Fresno State

10. Grant Ressel Missouri

AND A FEW FROM 2011...

Draftcountdown

1. Alex Henery Nebraska

2. Kai Forbath UCLA

3. Josh Jasper L.S.U.

4. Dan Bailey Oklahoma St.

5. Thomas Weber Arizona St.

6. Matt Bosher Miami (FL)

7. Wes Byrum Auburn

8. Jake Rogers Cincinnati

9. Kyle Brotzman Boise St.

GBN Report

1. Alex Henery Nebraska

2. Kai Forbath UCLA

3. Thomas Weber Arizona State

4. Josh Jasper LSU

5. Matt Bosher Miami

6. Jake Rogers Cincinnati

7. Dan Bailey Oklahoma State

8. Wes Byrum Auburn

9. Dan Hutchins Pittsburgh

10. Alex Tajeda Arkansas

11. David Ruffer Notre Dame

12. Nate Whitaker Stanford

13. Kyle Brotzman Boise State

Newerascouting

1. Alex Henery Nebraska

2. Kai Forbath UCLA

3. Josh Jasper LSU

4. Dan Bailey Oklahoma State

5. Jake Rogers Cincinnati

6. Thomas Weber Arizona State

7. Wes Byrum Auburn

8. Kyle Brotzman Boise State

Mike Herman said:
Buccaneers sign Nate Kaeding... LINK
Is this good news for Kaeding or does this show his value is not that high. TB just signed Barth to a new contract last off-season.
The PewterReport summed it up well, as follows:

"Kaeding, a two-time Pro Bowler, isn’t necessarily expected to beat out Barth in training camp and the preseason, but was brought in for competitive purposes to push Barth and to give the team some insurance in case of an injury."

Are teams worried Kaeding is still hurt? He's only 31 years old and for my money is (was?) quite a bit better than a lot of guys kicking for NFL teams today.

Are teams worried Kaeding is still hurt? He's only 31 years old and for my money is (was?) quite a bit better than a lot of guys kicking for NFL teams today.
His injuries, a few recent misses, and his post-season track record, combined with an overall youth movement in NFL kickers has probably hurt Kaeding's marketability.

Users who are viewing this thread