What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers 2013 thread (SEE NEW 2014 THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Wingnut

Footballguy
NFC Champs, almost had an epic comeback against the Ravens in the Super Bowl. As much as this loss stings, the future looks bright, and we've gotta be favored to win it all next year.Where do we start? What needs to be addressed?- Secondary. Something needs to change.- Kicker. No explanation necessary- D Line. Justin is gettin up there in age and we need to find his replacement.Lets do this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering how poor I think the Niners D-line and secondary played throughout the playoffs, it's surprising they got so close.

Kaep led a almost great comeback for the ages. Jim Harbaugh needs to #### and take this loss hard. His team like I feared was undiciplined and lost almost all the phases of the biggest game of the 49ers last game of the season. Jim Harbaugh lost this game. Where the 49ers need to go forward is to not believe their own Jed York bought press.

Harbaugh also needs to grow up and stop acting like Lane Kiffin when it comes to dealing with his media obligations.

Considering how poor I think the Niners D-line and secondary played throughout the playoffs, it's surprising they got so close.
As well as being without Manningham, Williams, Hunter and Justin (at less than 100%). I was talking with my roomie in the 3rd quarter about how I didnt think they would get past GB let alone ATL in the postseason, so Im trying not to be too depressed about tonights game. Its hard though. So close.But...whaddya gonna do. Press on, and start looking to next year is all we can do at this point.Thanks for a great season, Niners. :thumbup:

Yeah, I'm not as down on the loss as I would be if I expected them to win the Super Bowl this year. The only thing that is frustrating is the play calls at the end. The no-calls are a little frustrating, but they shouldn't have been an issue with better play calls.

Harbaugh also needs to grow up and stop acting like Lane Kiffin when it comes to dealing with his media obligations.
Really? That's what ou take away from this season?
'Oh yes. Harbaugh and his smugness towards the media and the game has always carried the identity of the team. This loss is on him totally. 49er fans throw a finger at Pete Carroll. Carroll may be the better coach in the NFCW now.

It's definitely been made apparent the past two games that Harbaugh needs to man up and handle his responsibilities. That is one area where Pete Carroll outshines him.
Fans fallout the bleachers: REPORT
Pretty funny how upset they are about the exact same thing (uncalled hold) that let them beat Atlanta on their 4th down play. :lmao: Not to mention that Crabtree got away with an OPI just 2 plays prior.

It's definitely been made apparent the past two games that Harbaugh needs to man up and handle his responsibilities. That is one area where Pete Carroll outshines him.
Fans fallout the bleachers: REPORT
Pretty funny how upset they are about the exact same thing (uncalled hold) that let them beat Atlanta on their 4th down play. :lmao:
They're fans. I can't tell you how many excuses Hawk fans have had even before they came back to the NFCW. HOLMGONE was one thread header I loved.

I think 49ers fans should be GIDDY right now. Sure, you have some holes that need addressing, but who doesn't? Meanwhile you have:A young, franchise QBA stud 28-year old LT signed long-termA promising 23-year old RT signed through 2014A stud 25-year old LG signed through 2014A ridiculously talented LB quartet that is the envy of most NFL 3-4 defensesA WR entering his prime that appears to have finally played up to his WR1 potentialA TE that, while not used effectively for much of the season, is still in his prime and capable of elite productionAn All Pro caliber RB (admittedly toward the end of his productive years though)Those are great pieces to have in place, which is to say nothing of the D-line where -- sure -- J. Smith is getting up there, but that trio is still an asset generally.

I think you'll see the 49ers at the front of the pack in the race to acquire Darrelle Revis. Secondary was exposed in playoffs and this team can afford to give up a 1st round pick as they are a team that should be challenging for Super Bowls over the next few seasons.

Meh, just don't know what to say. Sucks. I thought Culliver was going to be one of the next great shutdown corners. He got completely exposed in this game. And BAL really seemed to be targeting Whitner this game. I'm not sure what to say about Aldon's disappearing over the last few games. He had a key missed tackle on a third down run where they ran left edge and he had a chance to tackle Pierce well before the 1st. I think it was Goldson who ended up getting him, but after they converted. The biggest issue that I saw was getting off the field on 3rd down. Just couldn't do it. Fixing the secondary is needed, although I'm not sure Revis is the answer. And we have to shore up the Dline. Curious if they'll go after one of Harvin/Revis. Doesn't really seem to be the Niners way, signing a big time FA, although they did dabble with Manning a bit. So who knows.And why try the fade to Crabtree there? He's been eating it up with quick slants in the redzone. Still frustrated :(

While this may be true, I'd rather have a coach who shines in the area of "getting to the Superbowl" than a coach who shines in making the media happy.

I think 49ers fans should be GIDDY right now. Sure, you have some holes that need addressing, but who doesn't? Meanwhile you have:A young, franchise QBA stud 28-year old LT signed long-termA promising 23-year old RT signed through 2014A stud 25-year old LG signed through 2014A ridiculously talented LB quartet that is the envy of most NFL 3-4 defensesA WR entering his prime that appears to have finally played up to his WR1 potentialA TE that, while not used effectively for much of the season, is still in his prime and capable of elite productionAn All Pro caliber RB (admittedly toward the end of his productive years though)Those are great pieces to have in place, which is to say nothing of the D-line where -- sure -- J. Smith is getting up there, but that trio is still an asset generally.
Yep, it's a pretty enviable situation. And it's helpful to be in a position where the areas you need to address are extremely clear, i.e. the front office isn't going to end up wasting much time trying to decide if Player X needs to be replaced. They can really load up on DL/secondary in the draft and hopefully turn Smith into another asset that can be packaged with another pick to get a higher impact player.

The safeties are average and could definitely stand an upgrade. Goldson is not a franchise tag type of player and they could really use a rangy cover guy back there. It was not a problem when Justin smith was plowing through double teams the last couple years, but we saw what the secondary was like without him collapsing the pocket and it wasn't pretty. The top two CBs are fine and while Culliver had a bad game, it's tough to field 3 very good CBs. In my view, the needs are: safety, nickel corner, DL, and WR. They also need depth at OLB and QB. This defense has had a lot of miles put on it over the last couple years and needs some work done.

Best post in this thread and exactly what I came here to write.

My few cents, still stinging from the loss. All's not doom and gloom though, as Jason pointed out. Not many teams can lose 2 starting WR's, their 1b running back, and half-lose a pillar of their defense (Justin Smith), and still compete, much less get within a play or two of winning the superbowl.I agree the secondary could use some work. Not sure about Revis given the price he's going to demand, and his age and injury concerns. I'm sure others feel differently, so I'll have to leave that up to the coaches.One thing we need to get better at is game management. This season I give Kaep a flyer because he's new, but he's been getting a few delay of game penalties called. (Technically, in the SB he didn't get the penalty, but we had to burn a precious time out.)And I'd like to see the 49ers steal a trick from the Patriot's bag with the "quick followup play". Example being after Gore's run down to inside the 10 yard line... how many times have we seen the Patriots this year have a couple of plays pre-locked and loaded, letting them rush to the line of scrimmage before the defense can get set or substitute?Can anyone share what our draft pick situation is like? IIRC, we have a few extras stashed from last year. (Or am I confused with 2 years ago?) Overall, this team has only a few holes that I think can (and will) be addressed.I'm excited that this team should be able to compete for several years. It wouldn't surprise me if we're the sb favorites from the get-go next season.

49ers 2013 picks1. First round: Own pick2. Second round: Own pick3. Third round: Own pick4. Third round: From Carolina in trade-back during 2012 draft5. Third round: Likely compensatory selection6. Fourth round: Own pick7. Fifth round: Own pick8. Fifth round: From Indianapolis in trade-back during 2012 draft9. Sixth round: Own pick10. Sixth round: From Miami in trade-back during 2012 draft11. Seventh round: Own pick12. Seventh round: From Cincinnati for Taylor Mays13. Seventh round: Likely compensatory selection14. Seventh round: Likely compensatory selectionhttp://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-have-stock-piled-plenty-2013-draft-picks

The loss still hurts, but truth be told I didn't think it was going to be their year before the playoffs began because of the loss of Hunter, Manningham and KW. Didn't really expect the defense to be so bad during the entire postseason either. Let's hope next year they figure out how to play 4 quarters the way they play in the 2nd halves of playoff games.

If you guys can get production from AJ Jenkins next year, your offense is going to be very tough to stop. Otherwise, I would definitely recommend you guys getting another weapon on the other side of Crabtree.Could be a prolific offense.

I haven't seen a single post game interview with any 49ers or coaches. Anyone got any links?

@LATimesfarmer: Prayers go out to Delanie Walker (@Dwalk46) who reports his aunt and uncle were killed after the Super Bowl by a drunk driver. Horrible.

What are you talking about? When the Seahawks won their biggest game this year against the Niners, they filled the press with lies and unfounded rumors about Harbaugh honking at them, and how they could have gone for 50 if they really wanted to but they're just too classy. Pete Carroll and the Seahawks were ridiculous this year, acting like second children desperate for attention.

Now that its been a few days and have had time to reflect and think about it, the more I can accept the loss. The thing that sucked the most was coming so close at the end. However, before the postseason I had posted that with the injuries we had, I believed it would be tough sledding and we would probably get bounced in the playoffs. The fact that we made it as far as we did says a lot about this team and the heart, will, and resolve they have. Im pretty sure we would have easily beat Baltimore with a healthy Manningham, Williams, Hunter and Justin. Yeah yeah, I know, woulda coulda shoulda...but I honestly believe we would have just had too much fire power for them, and a healthy Justin obviously makes a HUGE difference.

Since the QB switch, everyone questioned how this team would handle adversity, playing from behind, if they could be a "come-back" team, or if Kaep could bring them back if they got behind early. They seemed to be a team that was built to get a lead and then pound the ball with the running game to protect that lead. I guess nobody will question that going forward. Got a lead against SF? You better keep the pedal down because this team just refuses to quit and they will find a way to make a game out of it and make you earn any win you get against them.

In 2010 this team goes 6-10. Enter Harbaugh. in 2011 they go 13-3, make it to the NFC Championship game and barely let it slip away in overtime. How do they respond? By going BACK to the NFC Championship game, and coming back from a 17-point deficit to win (on the road no less). Then they almost make the biggest comeback in Super Bowl history while coming up *just* a bit short at the end. Even with all the injuries, they almost pulled it off. I dont think we have to question how they will respond next season.

Bottom line: Its all good, fellow 49er fans. The next step is obvious, and if I was a betting man, I wouldn't bet against this team taking this experience, learning from it, and getting it right next time around. If this team can stay healthy, the sky's the limit, and they are going to be hard to beat for years to come.

How crazy would it be if this is how Harbaughs coaching stat line looks after 3 years:

2011: NFC Championship Game (almost NFC champs)

2012: NFC Champs, Super Bowl (almost SB Champs)

2013: Super Bowl Champs

Bring on the draft already!!!!! :banned:

Any interest in Titus Young?If the strong PW/VD locker room can get his butt inline, he is a talented WR.

Open letter from Jed to the 49er FaithfulHttp://m.nbcbayarea.com/nbcbayarea/pm_108028/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=eNmhcqrh The primary goal of our organization is to win Super Bowls, and we came up just short of achieving that Sunday.  The Super Bowl does not just mark the end of a great season, but rather represents the beginning of a bright future for the 49ers and our Faithful fans.  I am very proud of our players, coaches, and staff who worked so hard to bring home a championship this season.  This was a great year that produced a second consecutive NFC West title, a home playoff game win, a league-high 9 Pro Bowl players, and an NFC Championship.  Still, in the end, our quest remains unfulfilled.  We now attack the off-season with a renewed spirit and focus on winning the Super Bowl next season.2013 will be a special year as we celebrate the final season of football at Candlestick Park.  We intend to honor the place we’ve called home since 1971 with a season-long campaign featuring the greatest moments in 49ers history at the Stick. You may have noticed that during this past season we introduced a number of enhancements to the gameday experience, and we will continue to strive to put on the best show possible for our fans.  This year also marked the continued progress on the construction of the new Santa Clara Stadium, which is now nearly 40% complete. We are finalists to host either the 2015 or 2016 season's Super Bowl in the new stadium and recently announced that the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl game is slated to begin play when we open in the fall of 2014.  On behalf of the entire San Francisco 49ers organization, I want to sincerely thank you for your Faithful support. Let us all look back on a great season and be proud of what this team accomplished.  This team has a bright future and will compete for the Super Bowl for years to come.   It is true... Nobody has it better than us.Sincerely,Jed YorkCEO San Francisco 49ers

Crab Mic'd Up - Superbowl

This was just released last night. Lots of interesting tidbits. His reaction to the last play looks to me like he either didn't think he was interfered with, or he was just too damn tired to complain. Also, lots of early contact on the play right before... oh well.

This was my first Superbowl that I attended in person. It was a pretty awesome experience, aside from the obvious blemish. Our seats were insane. Right on the 45 yard line (SF side). I was sitting 2 seats away from Larry Baer and 1 section over from Paul McCartney :excited: . Just too damn bad they couldn't pull it off :kicksrock:

Any interest in Titus Young?If the strong PW/VD locker room can get his butt inline, he is a talented WR.
I'd rather them target DHB to go outside opposite Crab. He's likely to be released and should be pretty cheap. Moss is probably gone, right? Aside from landing Harvin, I think this is my favorite scenario of a FA WR cost wise.What are the odds the Niners make a play for Melton? I hear he's a priority to Chi, but there's a chance. I'd rather them go after Melton, spend the draft picks on young talented de/dbs, I still believe in Culliver even after his terrible outing against the Ravens in the Superbowl and forget about Revis. If we can get our pass rush back, it's shown the backfield can make it happen. The lack of passrush was evident in the playoffs.

Open letter from Jed to the 49er Faithful

Http://m.nbcbayarea.com/nbcbayarea/pm_108028/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=eNmhcqrh

The primary goal of our organization is to win Super Bowls, and we came up just short of achieving that Sunday.  The Super Bowl does not just mark the end of a great season, but rather represents the beginning of a bright future for the 49ers and our Faithful fans.  I am very proud of our players, coaches, and staff who worked so hard to bring home a championship this season.  This was a great year that produced a second consecutive NFC West title, a home playoff game win, a league-high 9 Pro Bowl players, and an NFC Championship.  Still, in the end, our quest remains unfulfilled.  We now attack the off-season with a renewed spirit and focus on winning the Super Bowl next season.

2013 will be a special year as we celebrate the final season of football at Candlestick Park.  We intend to honor the place we’ve called home since 1971 with a season-long campaign featuring the greatest moments in 49ers history at the Stick. You may have noticed that during this past season we introduced a number of enhancements to the gameday experience, and we will continue to strive to put on the best show possible for our fans.  

This year also marked the continued progress on the construction of the new Santa Clara Stadium, which is now nearly 40% complete. We are finalists to host either the 2015 or 2016 season's Super Bowl in the new stadium and recently announced that the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl game is slated to begin play when we open in the fall of 2014.

On behalf of the entire San Francisco 49ers organization, I want to sincerely thank you for your Faithful support. Let us all look back on a great season and be proud of what this team accomplished.  This team has a bright future and will compete for the Super Bowl for years to come.   

It is true... Nobody has it better than us. Except Baltimore, of course.

Sincerely,

Jed York

CEO San Jose 49ers

What do you guys expect out of the RB position next year and beyond? Who's under contract & who isn't? Will Hunter return to form?

'daveR said:
What do you guys expect out of the RB position next year and beyond? Who's under contract & who isn't? Will Hunter return to form?
I dunno about returns from Achilles injury, but I can tell you that it looked like the offense missed Hunter in the playoffs. James while fast, just doesn't have the size and I'm still not sure if the team trusts him in pass protection or pass routes.

Harvin wants a big paydayPart of me would love to see the wishbone offense with Gore behind Kaep and Harvin and Lamichael to either side, but for 130? No thanks. Spend that money going after Melton (my wish) or another young DT. Sign DHB for 1/10th of the cost of Harvin, and grab a few young dbs/dline through the draft. But if we did end up with Harvin anyhow, I'd be first in line for a jersey. :banned: :banned: :banned:

Harvin wants a big paydayPart of me would love to see the wishbone offense with Gore behind Kaep and Harvin and Lamichael to either side, but for 130? No thanks. Spend that money going after Melton (my wish) or another young DT. Sign DHB for 1/10th of the cost of Harvin, and grab a few young dbs/dline through the draft. But if we did end up with Harvin anyhow, I'd be first in line for a jersey. :banned: :banned: :banned:
I think that would be a little too rich for my blood, but it's not my blood :P . Gotta keep in mind that Kaep will be getting a lucrative long term contract after next season, and then Crab is due for an extension around the same time. If this does happen, I just hope that Harvin puts his desire to win a ring over the $ side of things (wishful thinking, I know), and/or Marathe is able to work his magic with a deal.

I'm definitely not interested in Harvin at that price point. And imo he needs to sustain Fitz / Calvin type production for more than one season before he commands $130M from any team.

Could Alex Smith be a 49er next season?http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/02/14/one-solution-to-the-alex-smith-predicatment/ (opinion piece)One solution to the Alex Smith predicamentPosted on February 14, 2013 at 1:01 pm by Kevin Lynch Chris Mortensen of ESPN wrote that the market for 49ers’ quarterback Alex Smith is cold. According to Mortensen, the Browns signing Smith is a long shot, and the Jets apparently can’t afford him. The Chiefs are more interested in draft-eligible players and the 49ers would like to block any move to Arizona.So where does that leave Smith? Is the solution keeping Smith with the team where he would earn $7.5 million as Colin Kaepernick’s backup?Team chemistry has to be considered. Smith would likely be the good soldier, but what would other players think? 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said he is Alex Smith’s friend. If that’s the case, he wouldn’t keep Smith a 49er against his will.Some players were upset Smith was benched; how would they react if he was forced to be a backup? That could have serious repercussions for team chemistry.The solution? Tell Smith he can go anywhere he wants except Arizona, or he can stay with the 49ers. It may turn out that the best scenario for Smith and the 49ers is for Smith to stay in San Francisco red and gold.

Users who are viewing this thread