What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers 2013 thread (SEE NEW 2014 THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Could Alex Smith be a 49er next season?http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/02/14/one-solution-to-the-alex-smith-predicatment/ (opinion piece)One solution to the Alex Smith predicamentPosted on February 14, 2013 at 1:01 pm by Kevin Lynch Chris Mortensen of ESPN wrote that the market for 49ers’ quarterback Alex Smith is cold. According to Mortensen, the Browns signing Smith is a long shot, and the Jets apparently can’t afford him. The Chiefs are more interested in draft-eligible players and the 49ers would like to block any move to Arizona.So where does that leave Smith? Is the solution keeping Smith with the team where he would earn $7.5 million as Colin Kaepernick’s backup?Team chemistry has to be considered. Smith would likely be the good soldier, but what would other players think? 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said he is Alex Smith’s friend. If that’s the case, he wouldn’t keep Smith a 49er against his will.Some players were upset Smith was benched; how would they react if he was forced to be a backup? That could have serious repercussions for team chemistry.The solution? Tell Smith he can go anywhere he wants except Arizona, or he can stay with the 49ers. It may turn out that the best scenario for Smith and the 49ers is for Smith to stay in San Francisco red and gold.
The market for Smith was colder last season, and I find it hard to believe that a QB depleted/starved team would not kick at his wheels. Maybe just some noise to get Smith a more friendly number as far as draft picks in a trade, or maybe other teams still see him as a system QB who needs a perfect system in place for he to function and excel in. His recent 49er stats over the past 2 seasons really aren't that impressive, and the numbers lie within the Harbaugh/Roman system, and he didn't elevate past it like Kaep has in the short time Kaep started. I suppose the 49ers could keep Smith as a backup, but I doubt that would happen. They need that money - even though it seems like a small amount - because they will hit their Cap number fast and may have to trim it with players like Delanie Walker leaving. They could go into next season with Kaep, Tolzien, and a low round draft pick for the QB squad. Having Smith around would just seem odd. If no team is willing to roll any dice for him, and/or he is released to find himself still looking for a gig, maybe the 49ers can sign him back at a lower number. He still would have to compete for the #2 spot at QB. I just find it wierd that he would wind up as a career backup on the same team who drafted him #1 overall. I think Lynch is just drawing straws for copy.

I'm definitely not interested in Harvin at that price point. And imo he needs to sustain Fitz / Calvin type production for more than one season before he commands $130M from any team.
Marathe can massage the number for Harvin, but I'd rather not pay that dollar amount and just build throught the draft. Kaep with a full off-season as starter with some young talent makes more sense cap wise, and Kaep can get more out of the recievers than Smith had.

I've heard Smith is going to KC for pick #63My link
All kinds of conflicting reports to that rumor. Who knows if the rumors are just trying to drive value up for Smith, or that there really isn't much demand for what the 49ers would want. It's obvious that Smith will not be with the team next season no matter the Harbaugh smoke. Kinda hard to try to demand a lot for an oft-injured QB who may have hit his ceiling, and is a product of your system, while not fully able to unleash most of the aspects of it.

All kinds of conflicting reports to that rumor. Who knows if the rumors are just trying to drive value up for Smith, or that there really isn't much demand for what the 49ers would want. It's obvious that Smith will not be with the team next season no matter the Harbaugh smoke. Kinda hard to try to demand a lot for an oft-injured QB who may have hit his ceiling, and is a product of your system, while not fully able to unleash most of the aspects of it.
As Smith's biggest fan I am sure you are heartbroken :lmao:

As Smith's biggest fan I am sure you are heartbroken :lmao:
I am more burnt out on the whole Smith story than anything. Both sides need to move on. It's as bad as Jed York comparing the QB situation to Joe Montana and Steve Young. Well, he did do that, so you can see how deluded the CEO of the 49ers is like the rest of the fanbase over Smith. BTW, if ya wanna read some hilarious stuff, just look up "Alex Lover" in the SF Gate 49er blog comments. That's some trolling right there.

I'd prefer not to trade him to AZ. Alex is a solid above average QB. We saw his ceiling the last two years, and he's good. Not great, and he's not going to lead a team to a SB. But he's solid enough that if you put him on a talented team where he doesn't have to be a difference maker, just do his job, he can win. AZ isn't that far off from being a solid team and I could see him causing some problems vs SF.

I don't want to see Smith in AZ either, because I like the guy. He's been a class act, and I want to root for him wherever he lines up.... as long as that's not against SF. :football:

I'd prefer not to trade him to AZ. Alex is a solid above average QB. We saw his ceiling the last two years, and he's good. Not great, and he's not going to lead a team to a SB. But he's solid enough that if you put him on a talented team where he doesn't have to be a difference maker, just do his job, he can win. AZ isn't that far off from being a solid team and I could see him causing some problems vs SF.
I'd be happy to give him to Seattle or the Rams as long as they pay up.

I'd be happy to give him to Seattle or the Rams as long as they pay up.
Reports on Twitter are saying that it's to the chiefs for a 2013 2nd and a 2014 2nd.Much better than I could have anticipated!Jay Glazer
‏@JayGlazer: 49ers have completed a trade with the Chiefs for Alex Smith, tho can't be official til March 12. Chiefs really made a commitment to Smith
Talking about picks: My link :banned: :banned: :banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
The #2 pick in the second round is a major asset, not just for being #34 overall but because of the lower contract that goes with it. Great job by Baalke and co.

No surprise here. http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/03/02/report-49ers-not-interested-in-re-signing-moss/

So long, San Francisco: Moss tweets his farewell

The writing was on the wall.

Now, Randy Moss has placed it on social media.

The 49ers wide receiver and pending free agent made it clear he won’t be back for a second season in San Francisco, via his Twitter account early this evening:

“Wished we could’ve finished the job!!thanks for the opportunity an good luck in the future 9ers”

Moss’ tweet came on the heels of a report from ProFootballTalk earlier in the day, which quoted a source as saying the 49ers didn’t have interest in re-signing the future Hall of Famer.

The feelings may have been mutual.

Before the Super Bowl, Moss, 36, expressed dissatisfaction with his role as a “decoy” in the 49ers’ offense. He had 28 catches for 434 yards and posted fewer than three catches in 12 of 16 regular-season games.

Moss pretty much played to where I expected, just stretching the field and only hit for a couple of targets. That was based on who was the starting QB, which was Smith. Kaep tried to push the ball to downfield more and targeted Moss more, and who knows what a whole off-season with Moss and Kaep would have done this upcoming season. But he may not be worth the roster spot at his age. I'd rather they try and save some cash and a spot for Delanie Walker, who is more valuable than Moss because of his versatility.

All and all, I wasn't that excited at Moss' signing, and not that bummed at all about he leaving.

I'd hoped more from Moss last year, especially after Kaep took over. I remember a number of deep plays where he was open, but Kaep couldn't put the ball on the spot.

But the early season anticipation of "when are they going to unleash Moss?" became pretty tempered by midseason. Reinvigorated a little bit with the QB change, but completely dead by the playoffs.

Overally, I think Moss helped the team, both on the field and in the locker room, but I'm ok with it being a one year expirement, and one that didn't cost much.

I'd hoped more from Moss last year, especially after Kaep took over. I remember a number of deep plays where he was open, but Kaep couldn't put the ball on the spot.But the early season anticipation of "when are they going to unleash Moss?" became pretty tempered by midseason. Reinvigorated a little bit with the QB change, but completely dead by the playoffs.Overally, I think Moss helped the team, both on the field and in the locker room, but I'm ok with it being a one year expirement, and one that didn't cost much.
Yeah, and like I said a full off-season with Kaep might had produced better numbers for Moss. But it looks like SF is gonna go younger at WR, even though outside of Moss they are very young there. They could package picks for a big name WR, but why not just find one in the draft?

I'd hoped more from Moss last year, especially after Kaep took over. I remember a number of deep plays where he was open, but Kaep couldn't put the ball on the spot.But the early season anticipation of "when are they going to unleash Moss?" became pretty tempered by midseason. Reinvigorated a little bit with the QB change, but completely dead by the playoffs.Overally, I think Moss helped the team, both on the field and in the locker room, but I'm ok with it being a one year expirement, and one that didn't cost much.
Yeah, and like I said a full off-season with Kaep might had produced better numbers for Moss. But it looks like SF is gonna go younger at WR, even though outside of Moss they are very young there. They could package picks for a big name WR, but why not just find one in the draft?
I'd love to see them sign DHB (isn't he supposed to be getting released?), and then roll with DHB, Crabtree, Jenkins, Williams and Manningham. Moss seemed to lack the ability to go win the ball. Maybe it's his age. He was targeted on a few deep balls that seemed like he was letting them fall and trying to basket catch instead of going up and attacking the ball. He seemed slow after the catch as well. But Crabtree did rave about how much Moss helped him, so money well spent.

I'd love to see them sign DHB (isn't he supposed to be getting released?), and then roll with DHB, Crabtree, Jenkins, Williams and Manningham. Moss seemed to lack the ability to go win the ball. Maybe it's his age. He was targeted on a few deep balls that seemed like he was letting them fall and trying to basket catch instead of going up and attacking the ball. He seemed slow after the catch as well. But Crabtree did rave about how much Moss helped him, so money well spent.
They could use a bigger WR for another target. Crabs I think it the tallest WR at 6'2", and DHB is 6'2" as well. All the other 49er WR's are around 5'10" to 6' tall (AJ Jenkins is 6'0"). The average age though is around 25 or 26. VD of course is 6'3", so another big target that is VD size would be a good addition for Kaep to target.

Oddly enough, I don't remember either Smith or Kaepernick connecting with Moss on any deep bombs this year. (Moss was interfered with on a flea flicker once, but I think that's as close as they got).

Oddly enough, I don't remember either Smith or Kaepernick connecting with Moss on any deep bombs this year. (Moss was interfered with on a flea flicker once, but I think that's as close as they got).
I recall Kaap hitting Moss for consecutive targets, not deeeeeeep targets but hit him more often than not that Smith had past 20 yards.

I like Robert Woods out of USC. He doesn't have great size but he's pretty fast, runs great routes and has good hands. I just think he has the heart and brains to be a solid player. Considering he had 12 catches for 224 yards and 3 TDs as a freshman against Stanford with Harbaugh as coach, I wonder if Harbaugh likes him as well.

I like Robert Woods out of USC. He doesn't have great size but he's pretty fast, runs great routes and has good hands. I just think he has the heart and brains to be a solid player. Considering he had 12 catches for 224 yards and 3 TDs as a freshman against Stanford with Harbaugh as coach, I wonder if Harbaugh likes him as well.
Seems like the 49ers have a lot of good WR in the #2 and #3 range (I always thought Crabs a #2, but with Kaep he has emerged an almost true #1 IMO, but still the best WR they have). Who knows if Jenkins pans out, and if Williams' potential is beyond what he is now, but I still think size is in order. More size could mean tougher matchups, even if the WR is just big and fast, and can run in a straight line.

Seems like the 49ers have a lot of good WR in the #2 and #3 range (I always thought Crabs a #2, but with Kaep he has emerged an almost true #1 IMO, but still the best WR they have). Who knows if Jenkins pans out, and if Williams' potential is beyond what he is now, but I still think size is in order. More size could mean tougher matchups, even if the WR is just big and fast, and can run in a straight line.
Well, if they want a big receiver they can wait a year and get another Trojan -- Marquise Lee. But I think he is going to be more difficult to come by. We'll have to wait and see, but Woods seems like he might be a good value, especially if they could get him with the Alex Smith second rounder.

Well, if they want a big receiver they can wait a year and get another Trojan -- Marquise Lee. But I think he is going to be more difficult to come by. We'll have to wait and see, but Woods seems like he might be a good value, especially if they could get him with the Alex Smith second rounder.
You must be a USC guy. ;)

I don't know. The article makes sense in the assertion that the price tag on Revis (particularly in $) does not fit the Niners' model. I think it's more likely that this is the case than that the Niners are just doing the usual song and dance on a player they want.

I don't know. The article makes sense in the assertion that the price tag on Revis (particularly in $) does not fit the Niners' model. I think it's more likely that this is the case than that the Niners are just doing the usual song and dance on a player they want.
Heard last week that they're not interested...but who knows.

Sando article http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/93182/93182

Sizing up options for 49ers at kicker

Rookie kickers have made 86.7 percent of field goal attempts over the past five seasons. Veteran kickers have made 83 percent over the same period.

That is something to keep in mind when wondering what veteran kicker the San Francisco 49ers might pursue after releasing David Akers this week.

While the 49ers likely will sign a veteran, they should consider using one of their league-high 12 draft choices -- a total expected to rise when the NFL distributes compensatory selections -- for the best rookie kicker they can find.

Those percentages for rookies versus veterans say as much.

Of course, field goal percentages aren't everything because all attempts aren't created equal, even when from the same distance. It's also possible an aversion to trusting rookie kickers has removed from the pool all but the exceptional ones, distorting comparisons to a broader field of veteran kickers.

But that 86.7 percent success rate should get the 49ers' attention as they seek low-cost alternatives to an acclaimed veteran such as Akers, whose 69 percent success rate ranked 34th out of 36 qualifying kickers last season.

Minnesota's Blair Walsh (92.1 percent), Baltimore's Justin Tucker (90.9) and St. Louis' Greg Zuerlein (74.2) combined to make 86.3 percent as the only rookies to attempt field goals last season.

Filtering for venue and distance, I noticed that rookies made 29 of 42 field goal tries (69 percent) since 2008 when kicking outdoors on natural grass from longer than 40 yards. Veterans made 621 of 913 (68 percent).

The results cited here are far from conclusive, which is the point. A rookie kicker might not be a bad option for the 49ers.

This is why I don't go out and get (and pay) Revis.

"I'm not gonna pay him, or any corner, what Nnamdi (Asomugha) was making in Oakland, that's absurd," said one NFC personnel director, referencing the three-year deal that paid Asomugha $15 million per season. "I know it's a passing league, but the great teams -- New England, Green Bay -- they spread you out, find a mismatch, and bleed you to death.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147653/article/new-york-jets-face-hard-decision-regarding-darrelle-revis-future

This is why I don't go out and get (and pay) Revis.

"I'm not gonna pay him, or any corner, what Nnamdi (Asomugha) was making in Oakland, that's absurd," said one NFC personnel director, referencing the three-year deal that paid Asomugha $15 million per season. "I know it's a passing league, but the great teams -- New England, Green Bay -- they spread you out, find a mismatch, and bleed you to death.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147653/article/new-york-jets-face-hard-decision-regarding-darrelle-revis-future
Pretty much. I think they can fortify the defensive backfield in the draft, and try to find a way to get more pass rush, becuase the pass rush hurt when Justin Smith was out.

What is the highest cost in terms of picks and contract that you think would make it worthwhile for the 49ers to get Revis? I'd be willing to give the two second rounders and a 4-year contract worth $35m, but I don't think that's going to get it done.

I'd probably go with a 1st this year and a 3rd next, and $10 mil per for 4...possibly 5. The problem then is that I don't trust Revis to be content after year 2.

No links because I'm on my phone and dont wanna deal with it, but a few tidbits that haven't been mentioned yet:

49ers are one of 3 teams that have contacted Wes Welkers agent (Browns, Cowboys the others).

Johm Abraham (Atl DE) worked out for 49ers Sunday. Abraham is 35 yrs old.

49ers are one of five teams interested in Browns FA KR Josh Cribbs (Giants, Pats, Cowboys and Cardinals are the others).

Dashon Goldston wants $8mil/year. Eagles and Bengals have expressed interest.

49ers are reportedly interested in MIA CB Sean Smith, along with TB, Det, and Phi.

'RUSF18 said:
I'd probably go with a 1st this year and a 3rd next, and $10 mil per for 4...possibly 5. The problem then is that I don't trust Revis to be content after year 2.
I don't think they can afford that salary and keep their offensive talent. This was already the most expensive defense in football. They need to reload the secondary with some rookies and/or second tier FA. I think they should also certainly let goldson walk for 8m. He's been basking in the reflected glow of the defense as a whole. This is a good year to draft a safety.

No links because I'm on my phone and dont wanna deal with it, but a few tidbits that haven't been mentioned yet:49ers are one of 3 teams that have contacted Wes Welkers agent (Browns, Cowboys the others).Johm Abraham (Atl DE) worked out for 49ers Sunday. Abraham is 35 yrs old. 49ers are one of five teams interested in Browns FA KR Josh Cribbs (Giants, Pats, Cowboys and Cardinals are the others).Dashon Goldston wants $8mil/year. Eagles and Bengals have expressed interest.49ers are reportedly interested in MIA CB Sean Smith, along with TB, Det, and Phi.
I still hold out hope Jenkins will become a Welker type guy. Shifty route runner who constantly gets open. Won't be upset if Dashon bails.

@RavensInsider: Anquan Boldin traded to 49ers for a sixth-round pick

I like it. Was hoping they'd go after Harvin, but still a helluva player. Wonder what his contract situation will be like. A 6th for Boldin seems cheap.

I'll have to let the Boldin news sink in. I would have rather had Harvin, (Although I'd be concerned with the salary / injury / personality issues.)

All I can think right now is, "Great. Grab Another WR from the team that beat us en route to the superbowl." (Manningham last year.)

This is one trend I don't want to see continue any further. Golden Tate next year, anyone? :angry: :yucky:

I'll have to let the Boldin news sink in. I would have rather had Harvin, (Although I'd be concerned with the salary / injury / personality issues.)All I can think right now is, "Great. Grab Another WR from the team that beat us en route to the superbowl." (Manningham last year.)This is one trend I don't want to see continue any further. Golden Tate next year, anyone? :angry: :yucky:
I like the move. Obviously not as explosive as Harvin, but this will be a much cheaper price tag and Boldin is a proven vet that runs great routes that's tough and has super reliable hands.

I'll have to let the Boldin news sink in. I would have rather had Harvin, (Although I'd be concerned with the salary / injury / personality issues.)All I can think right now is, "Great. Grab Another WR from the team that beat us en route to the superbowl." (Manningham last year.)This is one trend I don't want to see continue any further. Golden Tate next year, anyone? :angry: :yucky:
I like the move. Obviously not as explosive as Harvin, but this will be a much cheaper price tag and Boldin is a proven vet that runs great routes that's tough and has super reliable hands.
I kind of like boldin as well but i can also see this being a bad trade. He's aging fast, especially for a tough wr and he isn't exactly cheap. Case in point is that Boldin went undrafted in both of my fantasy leagues two years in a row...both times he was picked up midseason but most (and these are expert fantasy guys) believe he is very shortly on the way out.

Being a Cardinals fan, Boldin is my all-time favorite player. I love the guy. And I HATE seeing him go to SF. But it's a great move for the Niners - he may not have much speed anymore, but he will give Kap another big target over the middle, and he will be a great role model for Vernon Davis and Crabtree.

If Boldin played that whole Super Bowl with the Ravens, and performed exactly as he did, but got traded to the Niners before that final goal line set...the jump ball fade would have finally made sense, and thanks to Boldin's ~80% rate on jump balls, the Niners likely win the Super Bowl.

I kind of like boldin as well but i can also see this being a bad trade. He's aging fast, especially for a tough wr and he isn't exactly cheap. Case in point is that Boldin went undrafted in both of my fantasy leagues two years in a row...both times he was picked up midseason but most (and these are expert fantasy guys) believe he is very shortly on the way out.
Don't confuse fantasy value with actual NFL value. Boldin may not be the stud he once was, but he's still plenty good enough to provide Kaepernick with a reliable, tough target to move the chains. I can't see how this could be possibly viewed as a bad trade. They gave up a 6th round pick. They have (or at least had) the most picks in the draft this year. They needed a solid and reliable wr. They didn't give up a lot (players, picks, cash) to get him.This is a tremendous deal for SF and the cost was so absurdly low they would have been fools to pass it up.

Nice. Much rather get Boldin for a sixth rounder than Harvin for a first. I also think he's a good veteran leader to have on the team.

Users who are viewing this thread