What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers 2013 thread (SEE NEW 2014 THREAD) (2 Viewers)

Rumor is the 49ers may be interested in trading for DeSean Jackson from the Eagles. I hope they arent being serious, he would cost wayyyy too much. Now, if he came cheap, Id say hell yes, but no way thats the case.
Agree. Would be a nice addition to the offense giving them an explosive playmaker on the outside. Not at 11 million a year though........
They would have to do some major restructuring of existing players, or possible cut some key guys, to fit him under the cap. There's just no way it would work financially unless Jackson agreed to take a major pay cut coming off the best season of his career.

Looks like the 49ers are just scraping the scrap heap. BUT THERE IS NO RISK RIGHT?
What are the odds that all of Gabbert, Martin or Cook dont even make the team?
I don't think anyone really cares really. They have the draft to bring in more talent, but then again Baalke has crapped the bed there too.
You really have some Baalke hate brewing in you.

He has been in charge of 4 drafts.

2010 netted Davis, Iupati, Bowman and Dixon. Wiffed on Taylor Mays

2011 netted Smith, Kaep, Culliver, Hunter, Kilgore and Miller

2012 was a total wiff

2013 is incomplete but has a ton of potential. Reid had an excellent rookie year. They knew Carridine was a 2013 stash. Lemonier looks like he can be an excellent pass rusher. Lattimore could be Gores replacement in 2015 and Patton will get a chance to be the #3 WR. Dial looks solid. McDonald is the only high pick that you can say had an opportunity and didn't take advantage of it, but who know's moving forward?

One bad draft out of 4. Look through the 80s drafts with Walsh calling the shots. 82 got Bubba Paris who was marginal and zip. 87 got Harris Barton who was very solid and zip. 85 got the great Jerry Rice but absolutely nothing else. Walsh also wiffed on #1s Earl Cooper, Todd Shell and Terrance Flagler. After Walsh left, I don't think you do worse than the 89-90 drafts.

Not defending Baalke on the other issues in the front office, but to beat him up for one bad draft given the teams history of horrible drafts is pretty harsh.
The 2010 draft was more Singletary than Baalke. Singletary had more juice in his contract than interim GM in Baalke, who was working more off of Scot McGlouhan's draft board. You think Baalke is responsible for Mays? Singletary overruled Baalke for Mays over Jimmy Clausen. You should know this.

We've been over the past 3 drafts since. Aldon Smith - nice pick but even you had to admit his personal issues (which you thought never would happen again, but did) has put him in jeopardy with the team, with even so much as one more slip and he is pretty much a goner. Hunter - we've talked many a times where he is blown up behind the LOS and is pretty much a "meh" RB. Culliver is hurt, and Miller is a nice find, only because he had to do more in the offense due to Baalke not being able to find any WR to contribute this season.

Like Madden said, you can replace the suit instead of a HC like Harbaugh. So far, if there was a choice: Harbaugh, and there are enough posts in thread as why.

You know someone is reaching for excuses with Baalke when they try to compare his drafts to Walsh's . How many HOF players is Baalke responsible for? TIA.

ETA: Louie Delmas has been cut a few times too. I can't believe you actually defended that one.
Now you're just being foolish.

Baalke hasn't drafted any HOF players because it requires players having a career and then retiring before HOF election. Can't happen in 4 years. Geeeezzzzzzzzz.

Players getting hurt (Culliver) and having personal problems (Smith) is something that the GM should have foreseen on draft day? Miller is a nice pick because he is a starter and can contribute in the passing game, giving Kaep a nice outlet.

The point of course bringing up Walsh drafts is that he missed on a ton of high picks, and all GMs will miss, but Baalke apparently isn't allowed to. You of course choose to ignore that but whatever.

Have no idea what the Delmas comment was in reference to since I haven't commented on him.
You brought up Walsh and his drafts. You didn't bring up Policy's, Nolan's, or McGlouhan's. No. You brought up Walsh while not even realizing who he drafted, like the HOF players. I mean, you may find maybe one potential HOF player in the drafts that succeeded Walsh with all of the aforementioned FO guys that Walsh isn't responsible for. But no, you thought "Hey, let's look at Bill Walsh compared to Trent Baalke." Guess between those two is also in the HOF?

You posed a weak argument, and all anyone has to do is point out HOF players. Or maybe a player like Charles Haley. Roger Craig. Dwight Clark.

BTW, it wasn't Delmas we discussed so I was wrong there. It was Craig Dahl:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=676496&page=5

Who had a total of 10 tackles in 2013.

Can you blame a GM for any red flags you see in a #1 draft pick after you drafted him? Maybe, but let's revisit another one of our conversations:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=676496&page=10#entry15966138

So you've missed on two already.

You can't blame a GM for injuries, but you can blame them for depth of talent. All you had to do is look at the skill position players as well as the so-called depth at RB. You know, WR, defensive backfield, and only one good RB in Gore who Baalke isn't responsible for. Everybody except you seems to know this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anthony Dixon signing with Bills Saturday.
It was a good run.
Yeah, I think I remember it. I can't think two good runs by him though.I'm not broken up about his departure.
Yeah, his 2.8 career YPC should go over well in BUF behind Jackson and Spiller.See ya.
I liked Dixon as he was a pretty tough guy and decent specials teams player, but as part of the offense, won't be missed............
Except at the goal line where he had an impact on jumbo packages.

ETA: you just posted how he was a great pick by Baalke BTW.
Where did I say he was a "great" pick? I just pointed him out as someone who was a productive pick from the 2011 draft. 6th rounder who made the team and contributed.
Again, if you knew what a Singletary draft looked like, it looked like this.

NaVorro Bowman rule coming?

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=san-francisco-49ers&id=6016&src=desktop

Among the rule changes to be considered next week at the NFL owners meetings is one inspired by a controversial call in the San Francisco 49ers' NFC title game loss at Seattle, in which star linebacker NaVorro Bowman tore the ACL in his knee. Bowman

The owners will vote on whether to expand replays to include the recovery of a loose ball in the field of play. The current rule is that those such plays are not reviewable to keep officials from reviewing routine post-fumble scrums. Bowman appeared to have stripped the ball during the play at the goal line in the fourth quarter at Seattle. The play was not reviewed and Bowman was hurt on the play.

Niners coach Jim Harbaugh called the lack of a review on the play a "loophole." Now, it may be part of the rule book. Of course, if passed, like any other reviewed play, there will have to be overwhelming evidence that the recovery was made to warrant the overturn

Free agent WR options list...and SF interested in Josh Morgan?

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49ers-Have-Free-Agent-Options-at-Wide-Receiver/c721b1bf-728e-4b1b-8b12-a438aa9cbc01

Josh Morgan (Washington) 6-foot-1, 220 pounds 2013: 20 catches in 14 games

The six-year vet, 28, left the 49ers in 2012 to return home. Like with Holmes and Rice at their second NFL stops, things haven't gone according to plan. San Francisco is reportedly interested in a reunion.
Ummm, no. Bruce Miller had better stats than Morgan in 2013 in less games. Besides, Kaep ended his season with just one pass as a rookie 2011.

NaVorro Bowman rule coming?

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=san-francisco-49ers&id=6016&src=desktop

Among the rule changes to be considered next week at the NFL owners meetings is one inspired by a controversial call in the San Francisco 49ers' NFC title game loss at Seattle, in which star linebacker NaVorro Bowman tore the ACL in his knee. Bowman

The owners will vote on whether to expand replays to include the recovery of a loose ball in the field of play. The current rule is that those such plays are not reviewable to keep officials from reviewing routine post-fumble scrums. Bowman appeared to have stripped the ball during the play at the goal line in the fourth quarter at Seattle. The play was not reviewed and Bowman was hurt on the play.

Niners coach Jim Harbaugh called the lack of a review on the play a "loophole." Now, it may be part of the rule book. Of course, if passed, like any other reviewed play, there will have to be overwhelming evidence that the recovery was made to warrant the overturn
I only care if they actually name a rule after Bowman.

BTW, I think the 49er FA wheel has stopped. They might kick a scrub off the third chair for a guy like Morgan. But I think they are done in FA.

Looks like the 49ers are just scraping the scrap heap. BUT THERE IS NO RISK RIGHT?
I don't think anyone really cares really. They have the draft to bring in more talent, but then again Baalke has crapped the bed there too.

2012 was a total wiff

2013 is incomplete but has a ton of potential. Reid had an excellent rookie year. They knew Carridine was a 2013 stash. Lemonier looks like he can be an excellent pass rusher. Lattimore could be Gores replacement in 2015 and Patton will get a chance to be the #3 WR. Dial looks solid. McDonald is the only high pick that you can say had an opportunity and didn't take advantage of it, but who know's moving forward?

One bad draft out of 4. Look through the 80s drafts with Walsh calling the shots. 82 got Bubba Paris who was marginal and zip. 87 got Harris Barton who was very solid and zip. 85 got the great Jerry Rice but absolutely nothing else. Walsh also wiffed on #1s Earl Cooper, Todd Shell and Terrance Flagler. After Walsh left, I don't think you do worse than the 89-90 drafts.

Not defending Baalke on the other issues in the front office, but to beat him up for one bad draft given the teams history of horrible drafts is pretty harsh.
The 2010 draft was more Singletary than Baalke. Singletary had more juice in his contract than interim GM in Baalke, who was working more off of Scot McGlouhan's draft board. You think Baalke is responsible for Mays? Singletary overruled Baalke for Mays over Jimmy Clausen. You should know this.

We've been over the past 3 drafts since. Aldon Smith - nice pick but even you had to admit his personal issues (which you thought never would happen again, but did) has put him in jeopardy with the team, with even so much as one more slip and he is pretty much a goner. Hunter - we've talked many a times where he is blown up behind the LOS and is pretty much a "meh" RB. Culliver is hurt, and Miller is a nice find, only because he had to do more in the offense due to Baalke not being able to find any WR to contribute this season.

Like Madden said, you can replace the suit instead of a HC like Harbaugh. So far, if there was a choice: Harbaugh, and there are enough posts in thread as why.

You know someone is reaching for excuses with Baalke when they try to compare his drafts to Walsh's . How many HOF players is Baalke responsible for? TIA.

ETA: Louie Delmas has been cut a few times too. I can't believe you actually defended that one.

Baalke hasn't drafted any HOF players because it requires players having a career and then retiring before HOF election. Can't happen in 4 years. Geeeezzzzzzzzz.

Players getting hurt (Culliver) and having personal problems (Smith) is something that the GM should have foreseen on draft day? Miller is a nice pick because he is a starter and can contribute in the passing game, giving Kaep a nice outlet.

The point of course bringing up Walsh drafts is that he missed on a ton of high picks, and all GMs will miss, but Baalke apparently isn't allowed to. You of course choose to ignore that but whatever.

Have no idea what the Delmas comment was in reference to since I haven't commented on him.
You brought up Walsh and his drafts. You didn't bring up Policy's, Nolan's, or McGlouhan's. No. You brought up Walsh while not even realizing who he drafted, like the HOF players. I mean, you may find maybe one potential HOF player in the drafts that succeeded Walsh with all of the aforementioned FO guys that Walsh isn't responsible for. But no, you thought "Hey, let's look at Bill Walsh compared to Trent Baalke." Guess between those two is also in the HOF?

You posed a weak argument, and all anyone has to do is point out HOF players. Or maybe a player like Charles Haley. Roger Craig. Dwight Clark.

Can you blame a GM for any red flags you see in a #1 draft pick after you drafted him? Maybe, but let's revisit another one of our conversations:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=676496&page=10#entry15966138

You can't blame a GM for injuries, but you can blame them for depth of talent. All you had to do is look at the skill position players as well as the so-called depth at RB. You know, WR, defensive backfield, and only one good RB in Gore who Baalke isn't responsible for. Everybody except you seems to know this.
Nice try, but you're way off base again. I am kind of disappointed you can't understand the basics of the most simple discussions.

I compared it to Walsh's drafts because they were a dominant team then and the point was that if Walsh swung and missed so much, then Baalke deserves a pass when he misses. I am more than aware of the HOF players Walsh drafted Junior. You act like Baalke is supposed to nail every pick but that just doesn't happen with even the best GMS. The drafts in the 90s and 2000s were pretty bad for the most part, so not a great basis for comparison. Your posts are pretty self serving for the most part and I generally ignore them, but I just wanted to point out how badly you missed on this one as well.

As far as Dahl goes (I would think someone as astute as you like to think you are would know the difference between Dahl and Delmas), I thought it was a decent signing as it was obvious they were going to draft a safety last year and good to have a vet with starting experience on the roster just in case. Not every signing is a team changer. Reid played well and Dahl didn't have to play much. Good Good.

As far as depth of talent, they are actually one of the leagues deepest teams overall. Hard to have great depth at every position in the salary cap era. Teams don't generally spend a lot of money on RB depth and the one high pick they spent (James) hasn't panned out, at least not yet. Hunter is a solid back up (Career average of 4.6) and they drafted Lattimore and hopefully James can find a role that contributes, so can't say there is lack of depth at RB. Granted, they haven't had a lot of success finding a dominant WR, but having Crabtree and Boldin for a whole season will be a positive and hopefully, Patton will play well. Other than Jenkins, they haven't spent a high pick on a WR in the Baalke era. He missed there for sure.

For a team with so many issue, 12-4 and a play or two away from another super bowl appearance isn't half bad. I think you predicted 9-10 wins for them in 2013, so obviously they don't have as many holes as you seem to think.

efactor said:

2012 was a total wiff

Nice try, but you're way off base again. I am kind of disappointed you can't understand the basics of the most simple discussions.

I compared it to Walsh's drafts because they were a dominant team then and the point was that if Walsh swung and missed so much, then Baalke deserves a pass when he misses. I am more than aware of the HOF players Walsh drafted Junior. You act like Baalke is supposed to nail every pick but that just doesn't happen with even the best GMS. The drafts in the 90s and 2000s were pretty bad for the most part, so not a great basis for comparison. Your posts are pretty self serving for the most part and I generally ignore them, but I just wanted to point out how badly you missed on this one as well.

As far as Dahl goes (I would think someone as astute as you like to think you are would know the difference between Dahl and Delmas), I thought it was a decent signing as it was obvious they were going to draft a safety last year and good to have a vet with starting experience on the roster just in case. Not every signing is a team changer. Reid played well and Dahl didn't have to play much. Good Good.

As far as depth of talent, they are actually one of the leagues deepest teams overall. Hard to have great depth at every position in the salary cap era. Teams don't generally spend a lot of money on RB depth and the one high pick they spent (James) hasn't panned out, at least not yet. Hunter is a solid back up (Career average of 4.6) and they drafted Lattimore and hopefully James can find a role that contributes, so can't say there is lack of depth at RB. Granted, they haven't had a lot of success finding a dominant WR, but having Crabtree and Boldin for a whole season will be a positive and hopefully, Patton will play well. Other than Jenkins, they haven't spent a high pick on a WR in the Baalke era. He missed there for sure.

For a team with so many issue, 12-4 and a play or two away from another super bowl appearance isn't half bad. I think you predicted 9-10 wins for them in 2013, so obviously they don't have as many holes as you seem to think.
Nah, you brought up Walsh because it's every homer's line of defense, due to reading too much Maiocco and such. I mean you could had brought up the other FO guys that succeeded Walsh who drafted potential HOF players such as Terrell Owens. Nope, you just threw guys like Roger Craig under the bus because you really don't have a point when it comes to Baalke. I mean come on, you said he whiffed on Taylor Mays when everyone knows that was a Singletary pick over Jimmy Clausen.

BTW: Bryant Young and Dana Stubbefield. Lee Woodall and Merton Hanks. Ricky Watters and Bar None. I've posted many a time about the three headed donkey of Policy/Clark/Cerratto, so maybe you should read this thread more.

Again, the 49ers haven't had a HOF player from those other GM's, and even Steve Young was a Walsh acquisition. But, you dare went and compared Baalke to Walsh. It would be more fair to compare Baalke to the guy he replaced. But hey! Let's revisit a post here:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=676496&page=24#entry16580116

Harbaugh vs. the front office is a blowout. Has anyone ever, and I mean ever, posited that Trent Baalke is the best GM in football? Same goes for the 49ers' president, whoever that is. Has anyone, anywhere, ever suggested that those people are the best in the world at what they do? No.

But we say that about Jim Harbaugh because he deserves it. He went to San Diego, which had been losing big, and won big. He went to Stanford. Same story. Went to 49ers. Same story. He doesn't turn programs around so much as he recreates them overnight. From loser to winner because of one man: Jim Harbaugh.

Anyone ever said that about Trent Baalke? Quick question: Who is Trent Baalke? Where was he before San Francisco? Oh, right. He was in San Francisco. He was the director of player personnel in 2008 and '09, and the VP of player personnel in 2010. The 49ers went 7-9, 8-8 and 6-10 in those three seasons. In the three seasons since? They've gone 37-11-1.

You didn't do that, Trent Baalke. Jim Harbaugh did.

And now, apparently, the 49ers are considering letting Harbaugh go after 2015? As if he's not worth whatever he's asking for? He's the third-highest paid coach not in the NFL, not in the NFC, but in the NFC West. Third of four. Who thinks that makes sense? Besides the 49ers' GM and president, I mean.

The 49ers aren't sure they want to bring back Harbaugh, but they were so sure about Aldon Smith this season that they let their linebacker play against the Colts two days after his DUI arrest, and then let Smith play the rest of the season after he came out of rehab despite facing a whole new set of charges -- felony charges -- for possessing illegal assault weapons.

Character matters in San Francisco. Unless that character isn't getting along with the GM and president. And then, well, Jim Harbaugh is expendable. Because he isn't all that good. Coaches like Jim Harbaugh, they grow on trees.
I guess the few who think Baalke is the best GM in football includes you, since you compared him to Walsh.

I mean we can go player by player of every Walsh pick, say a Carlton Williamson if you like. That might help you out. Because we've already gone through player by player of Baalke's drafts and FA acquisitions here already. We've already discussed how they aren't deep outside of the defensive front seven, and how a Nolan FA in Justin Smith is more crucial to it than a "nice balanced young man" in Aldon Smith, who is busy tackling trees with his car on the way to work. But despite what others here had discussed, it still doesn't take away from Baalke actually being put on point finally from various media sources other than Jed's lap dog in Maiocco.

It's now become a choice of either Harbaugh, or Baalke and say a Brian Billick. Yeah, that's gonna work out fine.

I love it when blind homers come into these 49er threads and post stuff like Walsh vs. Baalke. I also love it when they come in and argue a guy like Craig Dahl, then say it wasn't as big a deal after making it one. I mean, we already called it. But hey! It's Trent Baalke! Every player is good when he picks them.

Thus, just a few plays and players away from actually winning the Super Bowl, with the window getting smaller, the FO once again in turmoil, and watching Delanie Walker have his best season on a another team while watching Vance McDonald drop yet another pass, miss another block, and run a route as slow as molasses. Oh, and James again being a game day scratch, while your 2013 draft pick in Lattimore can't even make a practice. That's what RB depth means guy. It means you still depend on Frank Gore when it comes to almost the entire offense, save the legs of Kaepernick, who is the second leading rusher on the team, and only one WR in Boldin most of the season. I'd figure you'd understand this, but then again I know what you read and where you read it based on your posts.

Everybody here knows I pick the 49ers every year to win 10 games. I posted 9 just to mess with Wingnut. I have reasons why, and that is mostly due to a stat number on the defense. So it's not just a random thing. But I also looked at and posted an offensive stat I also track every season, which is 3rd down efficiency. So while one stat on defense declines, the other stat on offense improves. 10 wins is the baseline. That shows more to the value of coaching than it does the roster too. Of course, Kaepernick improves that due to he having to run the ball because again, they only have Gore to gain yardage, instead of Hunter to lose yardage.

What a GM has to do is improve upon what they lack, and so far on offense, Baalke craps the bed. Let's face it: they win with Nolan/McGlouhan's talent, such as Crabtree, Justin Smith, and Vernon Davis. Now, McGlouhan again has a ring in SEA. I'm not posting Baalke hate. I'm posting Baalke reality. You really need to try to get there. There as in reality.

So far in comparing Baalke to Walsh, you might be on a bender with Aldon Smith.

Anyway, enough of this unreadable nonsense between eFactor and I. I respectfully disagree on some issues and agree on a few. I got into some old bad posting habits. The conversation went left because of me. Sorry for being a tool man, and that goes to everybody else that had to read it.

From Rotoworld:

Chris Culliver - DB - 49ers
49ers CB Chris Culliver was arrested in San Jose, California Friday for felony hit-and-run and weapons possession.

According to the police report, Culliver hit a bicyclist early Friday morning and fled the scene. An eyewitness who saw the accident followed Culliver and attempted to block his vehicle from leaving, where he allegedly got out of his car and threatened the witness with brass knuckles. Culliver is currently being charged with felony reckless driving causing an injury, felony possession of brass knuckles, and a misdemeanor hit-and-run for striking the vehicle. The 49ers have released a statement and are aware of the incident. Culliver will be subject to the NFL's personal conduct policy and could be facing a suspension.

Just did my first scouting of the wide receiver prospects (read watched some youtube highlights) this year. If the niners take a WR in the first it should be Beckham jr. I'm not taking Watkins and Evans out of the equation but it's unlikely Baalke will pull a julio jones-esque move to grab a guy that early, nor would I want them to.

Beckham looks smooth when he plays, not particularly flashy just one of those guys that makes the game look easy. He looks very well coached and shows great hands, technique and ability to separate and return skills. Only knock on him is that he's a little on the small side, but from what I've seen the guy's catch radius is pretty imrpessive.

Other dudes that jumped out to me were Paul Richardson (reminded me a bit of djax) and Donte Moncrief (good measurables and skills but seemed a little soft)

Thoughts?

Beckham' hands are ridiculous. Bit more of a spectacular catch nature, needs to work on consistency. Worry about ability to create seperation on outside against press coverage. Still, probably best upside of that tier

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24526440/report-aldon-smith-had-higher-than-average-risk-on-pre-draft-profile

EyeOn
Football
Report: Aldon Smith had 'higher-than-average' risk on draft profile By Will Brinson | NFL Writer
April 14, 2014 1:21 pm ETA nightmare year got much worse for 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith on Sunday night, when he was taken into custody at Los Angeles Airport, arrested and charged with false report of a bomb threat.

With Smith's off-field issues clearly a major, major problem, let's toss on the hindsight goggles and look at, courtesy of Fox Sports' Alex Marvez, Smith's draft profile.

While Smith's public profile looked pretty clean, Marvez reports that Smith's pre-draft profile showed that the linebacker was "a higher-than-average risk" of "getting into trouble" in the future.

"He has some past experience with getting into trouble and is a higher-than-average risk for this sort of behavior in the future," the report states.

Smith was taken seventh overall by the 49ers in the 2011 NFL Draft and has a whopping 42 sacks in three seasons since stepping on the field for San Francisco.

That's particularly impressive considering Smith missed significant time last season after an ugly driving under the influence incident that landed the linebacker in rehab.

Smith also had an issue with a felony weapons charge and at this point has more red flags flying around his off-field behavior than an Olympic procession.

According to Marvez, Smith didn't score well when it came to a SIGMA motivational testing.

"On a 10-point grading system, Smith scored a 1 for interpersonal style, receptivity to coaching and dedication," Marvez reports. "He scored a 2 for focus, affective commitment and interpersonal style."

It's not entirely fair to look back now and say that Smith was going to be a problem based on his pre-draft evaluations.

But certainly he had red flags coming into the draft and those have quite clearly come to fruition.
Well, there goes the 2011 draft now that Culliver is also in trouble. All they need now is a TMZ Kaep rumor.

drummer said:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24526440/report-aldon-smith-had-higher-than-average-risk-on-pre-draft-profile

EyeOn

Football Report: Aldon Smith had 'higher-than-average' risk on draft profile

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer April 14, 2014 1:21 pm ET

A nightmare year got much worse for 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith on Sunday night, when he was taken into custody at Los Angeles Airport, arrested and charged with false report of a bomb threat.

With Smith's off-field issues clearly a major, major problem, let's toss on the hindsight goggles and look at, courtesy of Fox Sports' Alex Marvez, Smith's draft profile.

While Smith's public profile looked pretty clean, Marvez reports that Smith's pre-draft profile showed that the linebacker was "a higher-than-average risk" of "getting into trouble" in the future.

"He has some past experience with getting into trouble and is a higher-than-average risk for this sort of behavior in the future," the report states.

Smith was taken seventh overall by the 49ers in the 2011 NFL Draft and has a whopping 42 sacks in three seasons since stepping on the field for San Francisco.

That's particularly impressive considering Smith missed significant time last season after an ugly driving under the influence incident that landed the linebacker in rehab.

Smith also had an issue with a felony weapons charge and at this point has more red flags flying around his off-field behavior than an Olympic procession.

According to Marvez, Smith didn't score well when it came to a SIGMA motivational testing.

"On a 10-point grading system, Smith scored a 1 for interpersonal style, receptivity to coaching and dedication," Marvez reports. "He scored a 2 for focus, affective commitment and interpersonal style."

It's not entirely fair to look back now and say that Smith was going to be a problem based on his pre-draft evaluations.

But certainly he had red flags coming into the draft and those have quite clearly come to fruition.
Well, there goes the 2011 draft now that Culliver is also in trouble. All they need now is a TMZ Kaep rumor.
http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2014/04/11/colin-kaepernick-statement-sexual-assault-investigation

drummer said:

EyeOn

Football Report: Aldon Smith had 'higher-than-average' risk on draft profile

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer April 14, 2014 1:21 pm ET

A nightmare year got much worse for 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith on Sunday night, when he was taken into custody at Los Angeles Airport, arrested and charged with false report of a bomb threat.

http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2014/04/11/colin-kaepernick-statement-sexual-assault-investigation
TMZ is one credible website. Of course, no article would come out of he "not being a bad guy" if say, he wasn't "being a bad guy". Good guys carry brass knuckles, own illegal firearms, and drive drunk or recklessly, hitting things in their path. The problem is they are hardly on the field much to actually hit others because they are suspended.

For your 49er insiders / fans - what's the local take on Aldon Smith?

Is his production still far outweighing the negatives? Getting close to even? Worse than even?

I think the tough thing for SF is they know Smith would be on the market for about .5 seconds before another team grabbed him.

What's the local take?

J

Is his production still far outweighing the negatives? Getting close to even? Worse than even?

I think the tough thing for SF is they know Smith would be on the market for about .5 seconds before another team grabbed him.

What's the local take?

J
Vibe right now still seems to be "geeze, he's really an idiot, I hope he gets his crap together because it would suck to have to cut/trade him."

I think he's a lost cause. He should be at the point where he can dominate without Justin Smith, but the reality is much of his production stems from Justin being dominant. Sure he had a great rookie season as far as sacks, but most of those were on situational downs where he was rotated in, not playing a full lot of snaps. The season when Justin was hurt, his production fell way off. Then there was last season. Now this.

The 49ers have a huge problem on their hands team wise. One of the problems: booze and partying. I asked Kevin Lynch about it during a chat (which I think I linked here a few pages way ago), and he basically confirmed it. That along with the naivete of team president Jed York. York is only 34 years old. He had three of his top "Gold Star" draft picks with bad press over the past few weeks, along with a few other players who have been in trouble since he's been team president. This with a power struggle in the front office between GM Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh. I think his right hand in Paraag Marathe is also part of it. York has been trying to cover up a lot of the mess with the press, but the reality is the team seems to have lost control of itself. They knew Aldon had trouble after his first DUI, maybe even before that. Aldon still was reckless, and it wasn't until it reached a crisis point where it couldn't be avoided in the media is when they basically slapped Aldon on the wrist, and then tried to save face. Now, what can they do? They would look even more foolish if they did that again.

It's just a matter of time before we read another player in trouble there. It's beyond Aldon Smith now.

What's the local take?

J
I have a feeling they will be without Aldon Smith most if not all of 2014. Either they'll cut him, or he'll serve some time. (His arraignment for the weapons charges and DUI was arleady set for 4/29 iirc). Fan response on local radio is mostly of the "Time to cut bait" variety.

For the most part, I agree with drummer on his assessment of the front office. As much as fans are enjoying the team winning again after a decade of suckitude, it's wearing thin. Maybe we're just spoiled with the high-class 49ers of the prior eras, but there's a general sense of "we're better than this".

Personally, I think the off-the-field-behavior may come from Harbaugh himself. He's got a temper problem - showed up at a presser a year or two ago with signs of having been involved in a physical scuffle with someone.

I think 2014 is going to be a correction year for the team on defense. Too many lost players to be the dominant D that we've seen recently. It's step-up time for Cornelius "Tank" Carradine and Cory Lemonier. And we need someone else in the secondary.

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) tweeted at 1:47 PM on Tue, Apr 15, 2014:

49ers announced they have signed WR Brandon Lloyd to a one-year deal.

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) tweeted at 1:47 PM on Tue, Apr 15, 2014:

49ers announced they have signed WR Brandon Lloyd to a one-year deal.
Remember him as a rook? He made some spectacular catches, and seemed like a level headed kid.

Then he decided to become a rapper.

I still shudder at the QB roster in both 2004-05:

Tim Rattay

Ken Dorsey

Cody Pickett

Alex Smith - 2005

I dunno how he caught for almost 1300 yards in two seasons with that.

Thanks for the insights 49er guys. That's pretty interesting. I was thinking it was less serious with Aldon Smith. I do think he'll be highly sought after if he is available for another team though. For a talent like that, teams always want to think they will be different.

J

Thanks for the insights 49er guys. That's pretty interesting. I was thinking it was less serious with Aldon Smith. I do think he'll be highly sought after if he is available for another team though. For a talent like that, teams always want to think they will be different.

J
I think the Niners would generally be inclined to continue to roll the dice too, but in their case signing Aldon doesn't only represent a big financial commitment, it would probably directly lead to the loss of another pro bowl caliber player (Crabtree, Iupati, or Boone, most likely). Most teams don't have that kind of opportunity cost issue.

LOL, should we grade the 2011 draft now?

Funny thing on looking at 2011 and the previous draft before it. The only constant here is Trent Baalke, at least physically. What I'm finding interesting are the Head Coaches, their respective personalities, the players drafted in those respective years each, their personalities that resonate with the Head Coach that leads to both a signature draft each with true studs, and a couple of other strong players on the current roster:

2010 draft - Head Coach: Mike Singletary

2010 1 11 Anthony Davis T 2013 0 0 4 29 64 Rutgers 2010 1 17 Mike Iupati G 2013 1 2 4 35 60 Idaho 2010 2 49 Taylor Mays DB 2013 0 0 0 7 50 USC 2010 3 91 NaVorro Bowman LB 2013 3 2 3 50 64 3 9.0 Penn St. 2010 6 173 Anthony Dixon RB 2013 0 0 0 4 64 148 458 8 9 47 0 Mississippi St. 2010 6 182 Nate Byham TE 2013 0 0 1 0 29 11 83 1 Pittsburgh 2010 6 206 Kyle Williams WR 2013 0 0 1 7 39 8 76 0 47 574 4 Arizona St. 2010 7 224 Phillip Adams DB 2013 0 0 0 7 53 3 South Carolina St.

It's very apparent now, even though I've said this all along, that this draft is Mike Singletary's, not Trent Baalke's. Why? All Singletary wanted to do in the offense was run the ball, and on defense, defend the run. He was asked if they would consider drafting a QB. He didn't think they would. They didn't, and thus Taylor Mays.

Key players here are obviously Davis, Iupati, and Bowman.

This is huge, because these are fresh key blocks on top of what was already built. Smash mouth on either side, with Dixon adding even more size. Singletary wanted more smash mouth. The players mentioned reflect that.

Outside of an Anthony Davis tweet, not much noise in the media about them that's bad.

2011 draft - Head coach: Jim Harbaugh

2011 1 7 Aldon Smith DE 2013 1 1 2 22 43 1 42.0 Missouri 2011 2 36 Colin Kaepernick QB 2013 0 0 1 24 32 382 639 5046 31 11 157 937 9 Nevada-Reno 2011 3 80 Chris Culliver DB 2013 0 0 0 4 32 3 South Carolina 2011 4 115 Kendall Hunter RB 2013 0 0 0 11 43 0 0 0 0 0 262 1202 7 27 268 0 Oklahoma St. 2011 5 163 Daniel Kilgore OL 2013 0 0 0 1 33 Appalachian St. 2011 6 182 Ronald Johnson WR 2012 0 0 0 0 0 USC 2011 6 190 Colin Jones DB 2013 0 0 0 3 44 TCU 2011 7 211 Bruce Miller DL 2013 0 0 2 5 45 16 39 0 48 410 1 Central Florida 2011 7 239 Michael Person OL 0 0 0 Montana St. 2011 7 250 Curtis Holcomb DB 2012 0 0 0 0 0 Florida A&M

Trent Baalke was Exec of the Year because of this draft.

So far:

Aldon Smith - probably not going to be with the 49ers in 2014, or at least play. What do you call this? A bust? A HUGE bust? Not because he can't play. It's rather how bad his behavior reflects on Baalke and the FO. Someone has to own up to Smith eventually. But what is he more a reflection of? The GM? Or the HC?

Colin Kaepernick - Ok, this is Harbaugh's guy all along. Until Harbaugh finds another guy. Even then, Harbaugh might bring in a Vet that's more his guy just because he's Harbaugh. I mean, he told everybody Alex Smith was his guy. But he's Harbaugh. Who better else reflects Harbaugh than Kaepernick?

Chris Culliver - Still not an answer. Even more now a question mark. Obviously has issues that again reflects both in the past and present poorly on the 49ers. Plus he was torched in the Super Bowl. After creating controversy.

All three have been in the news with bad press over the past few weeks. Kilgore also earlier with a drunken incident. Hunter is likely gone, and the only player that is proving a nice one is Bruce Miller, but that's more on Harbaugh's staff.

Again, the only physical constant is Baalke, I mean outside of Tomsula and the equipment manager and such.

So here is two different head coaches, two drafts in consecutive years, with the same NFL franchise that includes the same owners, stadium, Jed York and Paraag Marathe, and Trent Baalke.

Your thoughts?

ETA: sorry for the draft format. I will try to fix that.

I dunno how accurate this data is (and feel free to chime in on it), but I was curious to look at the offense on 3rd down over the past three seasons. I don't need to look at the seasons before those three because I already know how bad they were on 3rd down, lol. Anyway, here is a link to their rankings or however they compile the data:

2011: http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct?date=2012-02-05

On this sites "rankings", the 49ers are slotted 31st above STL at 32nd. I can agree with that since all I complained about here in 2011 was how bad they were on 3rd down, lol, and posted how they were at the bottom of the league in that stat during that time.

2012: http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct?date=2013-02-03

I've posted on how the 49ers had improved on 3rd down when they switched from Kaep and Smith, but also, Smith and the rushing attack had some huge offensive games like against BUF yet the next game just flat out suck like against NYG, where Smith tossed 3 INTs. In fairness to Smith, Kaep also laid some huge eggs in games like against STL, NE (for a half), and of course SEA. But despite the mini QB turmoil, the drastic shift of QB style between Smith and Kaep, how the play calling and execution of offensive plays was affected by all that, they actually improved according to the ranking to 22nd.

I agree that they had improved on 3rd down, although not knowing exactly how much, but I know it was significant. I'm justing wondering how much more significant. If it's nine points above 2011, then yeah, I'll take that. 31st to 22nd is a significant jump.

2013: http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct

They make the jump from 22nd to 17th.

This is Kaep's first full 16 games sched, with he being the starter at camp, Smith traded, the de-facto starter of the 49ers, who he just lost as starting QB halfway into his second season. A young QB's first full 16 game sched is huge, and any young QB who can win his first full regular season into the playoffs is pretty darn phenomenal, like Wilson, Luck, etc.

~I think Luck is better than Wilson, and I think Wilson now is better than Kaep, with Luck way above both of them.~

Yet despite only having one f-ing WR in Anquan Boldin most of the season, they have improved even more upon 3rd down.

How have they done that?

Discuss.
"~I think Luck is better than Wilson, and I think Wilson now is better than Kaep, with Luck way above both of them.~"

"Discuss."

Agree. You should hop in a time machine and visit the 2015 version of yourself in the Kaepernick thread. The things you two could talk about!

* But I'm sure a lot has happened in the last season, with either Kaepernick doing a lot better (going from about 20 TDs, to about 20 TDs - WAIT), Luck doing a lot worse (going from 23-40 TDs - WHAT), or both, to explain so radical an overhaul from this perspective. Maybe you could even elaborate on that?

I dunno how accurate this data is (and feel free to chime in on it), but I was curious to look at the offense on 3rd down over the past three seasons. I don't need to look at the seasons before those three because I already know how bad they were on 3rd down, lol. Anyway, here is a link to their rankings or however they compile the data:

2011: http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct?date=2012-02-05

On this sites "rankings", the 49ers are slotted 31st above STL at 32nd. I can agree with that since all I complained about here in 2011 was how bad they were on 3rd down, lol, and posted how they were at the bottom of the league in that stat during that time.

2012: http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct?date=2013-02-03

I've posted on how the 49ers had improved on 3rd down when they switched from Kaep and Smith, but also, Smith and the rushing attack had some huge offensive games like against BUF yet the next game just flat out suck like against NYG, where Smith tossed 3 INTs. In fairness to Smith, Kaep also laid some huge eggs in games like against STL, NE (for a half), and of course SEA. But despite the mini QB turmoil, the drastic shift of QB style between Smith and Kaep, how the play calling and execution of offensive plays was affected by all that, they actually improved according to the ranking to 22nd.

I agree that they had improved on 3rd down, although not knowing exactly how much, but I know it was significant. I'm justing wondering how much more significant. If it's nine points above 2011, then yeah, I'll take that. 31st to 22nd is a significant jump.

2013: http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct

They make the jump from 22nd to 17th.

This is Kaep's first full 16 games sched, with he being the starter at camp, Smith traded, the de-facto starter of the 49ers, who he just lost as starting QB halfway into his second season. A young QB's first full 16 game sched is huge, and any young QB who can win his first full regular season into the playoffs is pretty darn phenomenal, like Wilson, Luck, etc.

~I think Luck is better than Wilson, and I think Wilson now is better than Kaep, with Luck way above both of them.~
Why would you put Luck way above Wilson or Kaep? It's not like Luck had a much better season in 2013, and certainly both Wilson and Kaep had better seasons in 2012. Both are more than a yard per attempt ahead of Luck, and both are better runners (though Luck's not bad). And both are still alive in the playoffs, while Luck threw seven INTs in two games.
That was a bit of a sidebar. I'm more curious about you think about the 3rd down progression.

As far as Luck, there is no argument on his impact overall as QB over Wilson and Kaep. If Luck was with Harbaugh, Roman, and Fangio from Year One in the NFL, well.....

Luck with Pete Carroll: that's insane too.

ETA: 3rd down to me is a QB down. I screwed this thing up with my thoughts about Luck. Let's talk 3rd down.
"As far as Luck, there is no argument on his impact overall as QB over Wilson and Kaep. If Luck was with Harbaugh, Roman, and Fangio from Year One in the NFL, well....."

Another moment of clarity, this is uncanny. I agree with you a lot more, 2014 version, pre-switchey changey Drummer.

You were about to say something after the well..... part?

Discuss.

So the Bucs trade Goldson and a 6th round pick to Washington for a 7th round pick.

Lol.

So the Bucs trade Goldson and a 6th round pick to Washington for a 7th round pick.

Lol.
I was surprised Washington was taking on the 8 million a year, then I saw that the Bucs are paying 4 million of his salary in 2015, which covers the rest of his guarenteed money, so they can restructure or release him next year without any cap implications. Makes more sense, but 4 million is still a lot for someone who played so poorly the last couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread