What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Portis wants his bling bling (1 Viewer)

Everwars Nerd

Footballguy
Denver Post

Portis lays down law

If Broncos don't make new deal, RB may hold out

By Adam Schefter

Denver Post Sports Writer

HONOLULU - Amid swaying palm trees and cool ocean breezes, Broncos running back Clinton Portis acknowledged there is trouble in paradise.

Portis said unless he has a new contract before training camp, he could hold out.

"I'm hoping the Broncos do work something out to where it doesn't go that far," Portis said after Wednesday's Pro Bowl practice. "I don't want to be a distraction to the team. I don't want it to come off as if it's I think I'm bigger than the team, because I don't.

"But at the same time, come on, man. There are players on special teams making more money than me. How long am I going to stay content with that? The Broncos know the situation. It's however they want to do it. I've given them two good years for the low-low. Why can't I be one of the top-paid players in the league?"

The Broncos might argue it is because Portis has two years remaining on a four-year contract that paid him a $1.29 million signing bonus and is scheduled to pay him $380,000 this coming season and $455,000 the next season.

Those salaries are well below those of the league's top players, as well as some of his teammates, but Portis' name is autographed on the dotted line.

Denver is dealing with other major financial concerns. Nearly $5 million over the salary cap for the coming season, it is struggling to re-sign Pro Bowl middle linebacker Al Wilson, who said Wednesday he will test the free-agent market that begins March 3. With Denver also trying to re-sign unrestricted free-agent linebacker Ian Gold, defensive end Bertrand Berry and fullback Reuben Droughns, the Broncos are playing from behind - way behind.

Only in this game Portis will not bail them out. This time he is trying to hit pay dirt.

"My best interests are my best interests," said Portis, who will be playing Sunday in his first Pro Bowl. "I'm going to decide what's in my best interests on my own.

"If I don't feel like going to camp, if I don't feel like the situation is right for me, I won't be there. If I do, then I will. If I decide that things aren't going right and I don't feel like the Broncos' organization is being true to me, then that's a hard decision I'll have to make."

The stage is set for a showdown that could last into July's training camp and beyond. Portis' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, whom the running back hired this winter, declined comment.

Broncos general manager Ted Sundquist also declined comment Wednesday, saying his team does not address contract situations. But Portis' statements should not have been a surprise to the organization.

Within the past month, Portis has submitted a lucrative contract proposal to the Broncos, only to be rebuffed. The Broncos have floated counterproposals, but none has come close to meeting Portis' satisfaction.

Last season, despite missing three games because of sternum, ankle and knee injuries, Portis ran for a career-high 1,591 yards. His 5.5 yards per carry were the NFL's best. He closed out the season with six consecutive 100-yard games. Now he wants to be rewarded for it.

"I would love to have a new deal," Portis said. "I don't know any player who would tell you he's content with being in the Pro Bowl and being one of the lowest-paid players on his team. Nobody is going to be happy with that. Really, I'm not really excited, but what can I do?"

For starters, Portis can skip Denver's offseason conditioning program, something he did last season while choosing to work out in Miami. Broncos coach Mike Shanahan never has taken kindly to players skipping the team workout sessions. Portis said he is uncertain where he would conduct his offseason training.

Wherever he does, Portis will be questioned about what he and the Broncos are doing. Pro Bowl players already have begun to weigh in.

"This is what I would tell Clinton," said Chiefs Pro Bowl running back Priest Holmes, who was rewarded with a four-year contract extension that included a $10 million signing bonus and a $5 million annual average days before last season kicked off. "As long as he's producing and then he makes the decision that, 'Hey, I want to make my money, I want to go ahead and get my money now,' he has to stand firm with that and not waver."

It appears that is what Portis is willing to do.

"The ball is in the Broncos' court," Portis said. "You know who your top players are. If this is John Elway, would John Elway still be in the same situation? They had the situation with John Elway. The salary cap was just as high then. You've got Steve Atwater, Terrell Davis, the O-line he had. Come on. They had big players then, too, and they got paid.

"I hope this resolves itself positively. I love playing for the organization. I want to play for the organization. I'm one of the three players representing the Broncos in the Pro Bowl. But you make decisions.

"First it was, 'Can he do it?' Then it's, 'Is he a one-year wonder?' Now it's, 'Two years and we still want to see you.'

"How many times do I have to prove myself to somebody?"
Wilson, Berry and Gold can start looking for new teams. :thumbup:

What stupid, greedy SOB. Apparently someone didn't tell ole Clinton that the next "great" RB is always just around the corner in Denver. :rolleyes: I say let him hold out and watch Mike Anderson slip back into the role. Or Quentin Griffin...or whoever Shanahan drafts this year when his team needs are elsewhere.

I don't blame Portis one bit for wanting to be paid. Like everybody else in the NFL, he is one snap away from his career being over. He's one of the top RBs in the league, and if he can use whatever leverege he has to get paid like one, I have no problem with it.

He is definitely worth more than he is currently getting. He has become a stud and deserves a tad more than a special teams player. If Denver can merely plug another rb and get the same results I have the solution.........as a Dallas fan we will gladly take this scrub off of your hands. :yes:

I don't blame Portis one bit for wanting to be paid. Like everybody else in the NFL, he is one snap away from his career being over. He's one of the top RBs in the league, and if he can use whatever leverege he has to get paid like one, I have no problem with it.
Exactly. Seems like every offseason we have this same argument on these boards. So many people get up in arms about the "greedy" players when they fail to remember that no contract in the NFL is guaranteed. If Portis suffers a Napolean McCallum compound leg fracture in the first preseason game this year, you think the Broncos are going to give him $10 million as a going away present? Nope, they're going to quietly waive him with an "injury settlement" which will amount to about half of the remaining $400K on his contract. But hey, Portis is just being greedy. :rolleyes:Cheers

Jason is right on...But once, just once, I'd like to see a team tell a guy acting like this, "Ok, hold out. No big deal. Hope the FA market looks good for you in a few years, because thats the next time anybody's giving you a new contract." HERD

Jason is right on...But once, just once, I'd like to see a team tell a guy acting like this, "Ok, hold out. No big deal. Hope the FA market looks good for you in a few years, because thats the next time anybody's giving you a new contract." HERD
I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos ARE that team, if only because the Broncs have other backs on the roster that could tote the rock for at least a few games. Remember when Emmitt held out, the Cowboys tried playing hard ball and didn't budge for the first two games, only to go 0-2 in a year when they were the SB favorites. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Broncos go with Griffin and Anderson for a few games and force Portis' hand. Of course, whether or not the Broncs win those first few games will go a huge way in whether or not it is a wise gambit, because if they crap the bed early without Portis, it gives him that much more ammunition for a sweetheart deal.Cheers

I agree he's justified in holding out. If I were him, I wouldn't step on the field until I had a new agreement. I'm hesitant to use the word contract, since they're really not.

WTF! First Clarrett and all the 18 year olds can now play in the NFL and now Portis is holding out.The NFL is oficially OVER!What a F'n shame. Greedy punks just ruined it for everyone.

It is an unfortunate turn of events for the Broncos because everybody knows Portis deserves something more than that rookie contract he is playing under. And I do think players are greedy, but there is some middle ground and Portis deserves some more money, considering no NFL contract is guaranteed.The BlueOnion

I agree that so long as teams can cut overpaid players and quit paying them whenever they feel like it (salary cap implications notwithstanding), then underpaid players should be able to hold out and demand more money. In each case, the parties are operating well within their rights.The irony here is that Portis is potentially setting himself up to be a "cap casualty" in a few years by demanding big bucks now.

The irony here is that Portis is potentially setting himself up to be a "cap casualty" in a few years by demanding big bucks now.
I'm sure Portis will be able to come up with millions of reasons not to be too terribly worried about this.Also, I don't see a lot stud RBs getting cut loose for salary cap reasons.

I'm sure Portis will be able to come up with millions of reasons not to be too terribly worried about this.Also, I don't see a lot stud RBs getting cut loose for salary cap reasons.
Portis isn't stupid, he knows the lifecycle of RBs, even the majority of talented ones. He also knows that he's not a big guy, and has fought through some injuries thus far in his career. I gotta believe that, with someone of his talent, it's a scary thought knowing that you've put up crazy numbers for two years, yet you could well not have much left to live on if you were cut tomorrow.Cheers

This is the stuff that makes it hard on both sides. Obviosly, Portis is super talented, but Denver has got to be thinking, "can he play a whole season?". You know Portis has got to be thinking, "I don't have that many years to make this work so I gotta get paid now"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. It's a law of nature! :football:

This is the stuff that makes it hard on both sides. Obviosly, Portis is super talented, but Denver has got to be thinking, "can he play a whole season?". You know Portis has got to be thinking, "I don't have that many years to make this work so I gotta get paid now"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. It's a law of nature! :football:
Portis needs to do what Priest did, show up to camp and show you're healthy and dominant. This not only shows management, but also placates your teammates who know you're not "abandoning" them. Then, make if VERY clear that if you don't have a new deal by the time the pads go on, you're not playing.Cheers

Exactly. Seems like every offseason we have this same argument on these boards. So many people get up in arms about the "greedy" players when they fail to remember that no contract in the NFL is guaranteed. If Portis suffers a Napolean McCallum compound leg fracture in the first preseason game this year, you think the Broncos are going to give him $10 million as a going away present? Nope, they're going to quietly waive him with an "injury settlement" which will amount to about half of the remaining $400K on his contract. But hey, Portis is just being greedy. :rolleyes:Cheers
Jason, I don't agree with you. The players KNOW they are signing non-guaranted contracts but continue to sign them long-term. He agreed to the deal and now has to live with it. If he gets hurt, thats the life of an NFL player. He knew that would be a possibility when he signe on the dotted line. He also could have put in clauses in the contract for performance but chose not to. Now should NFL teams give their players new contracts if that player exceeds expectations? Sure, they can, but they don't HAVE to. They are playing within the rules wh9ch have been in place for a while. If Portis is unhappy about the situation, he can sit out and see where it leads him. He can also have the players union change things next time they renegotiaite their deal with the NFL. Until then, be quiet and play out your contract.

Jason, I don't agree with you. The players KNOW they are signing non-guaranted contracts but continue to sign them long-term. He agreed to the deal and now has to live with it. If he gets hurt, thats the life of an NFL player. He knew that would be a possibility when he signe on the dotted line. He also could have put in clauses in the contract for performance but chose not to. Now should NFL teams give their players new contracts if that player exceeds expectations? Sure, they can, but they don't HAVE to. They are playing within the rules wh9ch have been in place for a while. If Portis is unhappy about the situation, he can sit out and see where it leads him. He can also have the players union change things next time they renegotiaite their deal with the NFL. Until then, be quiet and play out your contract.
3nOut,Portis has the right to sit out, and the team has the right to make him sit out unpaid. But until a team is actually willing to do that, there's no reason a player shouldn't use the leverage. Teams need to put their money where their mouths are and actually tell him to shove it if that's how they really feel.Cheers

3nOut,Portis has the right to sit out, and the team has the right to make him sit out unpaid. But until a team is actually willing to do that, there's no reason a player shouldn't use the leverage. Teams need to put their money where their mouths are and actually tell him to shove it if that's how they really feel.Cheers
man Jason, that was a quick response! Yes it goes both ways, but when you roll your eyes ( :rolleyes: ) and say people get up in arms calling the players greedy you are defending the player. I am saying that the player IS greedy. He can sit out if he wants, thats his choice. But in the end, he is STILL greedy.

Portis should have signed a 2 year deal out of college then. He produces..he gets paid. Portis was giddy to bank 1.3 as a rookie. If you think you are good, sign a short deal!

My take:I'm blown away that teams don't sue players that holdout for breach of contract (I'm thinking they don't because they don't want to damage the good standing the league has with the players assoc.)I know that a team can cut a player at any time without recourse, so what do players have?How about IF you sign a 4 year deal, have some clauses in the contract that void the contract if X, Y & Z occur.I feel NO pity for Portis, he was the idiot that signed the 4 year deal that didn't give him any recourse if he performed above the salary level he was paid.You sign a 4 year deal you can ask for a better contract. And if the team doesn't grant the request? You honor it.

To all the peole out there saying Portis is being greedy, did you happen to look at what he (a Pro Bowl top notch RB) is getting paid as of now. About a mil. in the next 2 years.... :shock: :yucky: :rotflmao: Come on now thats a joke. The guy is a monster and has nothing to prove in the NFL tallent wise anymore. Give him some cash a solidify your franchise one of the best players in the league for years to come. If Den don't want to I can certainly think of a few teams that wouldn't mind doing so. I hear Dal, Wash, NE, and Pitt are all looking for a RB to name a few. Man thinking about Portis in NE just made me dizzy. That would suck for the rest of the league.

My take:I'm blown away that teams don't sue players that holdout for breach of contract (I'm thinking they don't because they don't want to damage the good standing the league has with the players assoc.)I know that a team can cut a player at any time without recourse, so what do players have?How about IF you sign a 4 year deal, have some clauses in the contract that void the contract if X, Y & Z occur.I feel NO pity for Portis, he was the idiot that signed the 4 year deal that didn't give him any recourse if he performed above the salary level he was paid.You sign a 4 year deal you can ask for a better contract. And if the team doesn't grant the request? You honor it.
If the teams started suing for breach of contract when someone held out, players would start suing for breach of contract when they were unceremoniously cut. You can't have it both ways.Cheers

If the teams started suing for breach of contract when someone held out, players would start suing for breach of contract when they were unceremoniously cut. You can't have it both ways.
Yes you can. This is the NFL, NOT MLB, players can be cut at any time, without recourse (except in case of injury). I remember Buchsbaum saying the CBA was written as such.

I'm blown away that teams don't sue players that holdout for breach of contract
Should the player be allowed to sue the team if he's released before the contract is up?
You sign a 4 year deal you can ask for a better contract. And if the team doesn't grant the request? You honor it.
The team doesn't have to honor it, why should he?I think we need to stop calling these pieces of paper contracts

What Greed????If a team can ask a player for a reduction in paycheck due to poor performance, why not a player ask for more than what he's getting???? Especially in Portis' case, he's got a contract that was handed to him based on draft position and contract signed by other rookies at his position that year. He has shown he is better than a lot of the running backs in the league, LET HIM HAVE HIS BLING BLING!!!!!.BTW If you think Portis is a product of Shannahan running system, you're dead wrong. He is not a little unknown 6th rounder or such like the other greats at Denver. In fact he doesn't benefit from the run system like the other backs in Denever do. Mike had to change the system to suit his running style, and if you think anybody can come in there and run like he does, you're wrong. Denver will have a capable replacement, but Clinton will do well almost everywhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason is right on...But once, just once, I'd like to see a team tell a guy acting like this, "Ok, hold out.  No big deal.  Hope the FA market looks good for you in a few years, because thats the next time anybody's giving you a new contract."  HERD
:thumbup: I agree. You signed the contract, perform your duties under it. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesnt a player have to be active for 6 games during the regular season in order for it to count as a season performed under the contract. I recall something about this during Galloway's holdout in Seattle. If that is the case - DEN would have the rights to Portis for two years still, even if he sits the whole year. Let him sit and run Griff and Big Mike all day.I know players are held hostage by the NFL and their contracts, but when you have more than a year left on your contract you do not get sympathy from me.

Clinton will do well almost everywhere else.
Not true, he needs an OL.Putting him in Miami, Arizona, Cleveland would be a joke, he needs a seam to run through, he can't create his own holes.

Yes you can. This is the NFL, NOT MLB, players can be cut at any time, without recourse (except in case of injury). I remember Buchsbaum saying the CBA was written as such.
Labor law doesn't work that way though, which is why lawsuits aren't an option. Teams frequently demand that players take pay cuts, despite have SIGNED contracts in place. And if they are unwilling to take the paycut, they are released, essentially voiding the SIGNED contract. Again, if this actually went to court, it would be cut and dry (much like the Clarett case was cut and dry once it went to court), teams can't have it both ways.Cheers

What Greed????If a team can ask a player for a reduction in paycheck due to poor performance, why not a player ask for more than what he's getting???? Especially in Portis' case, he's got a contract that was handed to him based on draft position and contract signed by other rookies at his position that year. He has shown he is better than a lot of the running backs in the league, LET HIM HAVE HIS BLING BLING!!!!!.BTW If you think Portis is a product of Shannahan running system, you're dead wrong. He is not a little unknown 6th rounder or such like the other greats at Denver. In fact he doesn't benefit from the run system like the other backs in Denever do. Mike had to change the system to suit his running style, and if you think anybody can come in there and run like he does, you're wrong. Denver will have a capable replacement, but Clinton will do well almost everywhere else.
You missed this guy ----------> :rolleyes:

Broncos fan here.I'm glad Portis finally made this clear and public. I'm sick of this issue being hidden in the backdrop for the last year. The Broncos made a promise to pay Portis after this season, so they've got to get it done. And before training camp starts, because we all know what happens to players when they miss part of training camp.He may be the best running back in the league, long-term. It's ludicrous to say that his rookie contract is fair at this point. If the contract is too high, the team can cut a player. Therefore, if it's too low, the player can hold out.Portis isn't being greedy. He's going for what's fair.Back when TD had to get a new deal, the Broncos took care of it before training camp. Hopefully they do the same this time.Wilson's a great player, but Portis is a true stud. The Broncos are going to lose some players, but they absolutely cannot afford to lose Portis.

I have a hard time supporting players' hold-outs when they already make well over ten times as much as the average Joe (and that's just the "lesser paid" players). If they are really so concerned about their careers being cut short, then they should stay in college the full 4 years, get an education and get a real job if playing a game doesn't pan out. And maybe not spending all of their money on gold, furs and Escalades would help too.I know this is commonplace in all sports, it's just frustrating hearing these people complain and expect you to be on their side when they live in a fantasy land. Or when they flat out lie, say they want to play for a winner, but instead sign the biggest contract for the crappiest team.No point really, just venting...

It does seem unfair that ownership has "escape clauses" by which they can release signed players. However, it would be nice to actually have the system set up in place such that "A contract is a contract." from both sides of the bargaining table. I never think that players are being greedy in situations such as these, just that they aren't honoring a piece of paper that they willingly signed. I wonder how much insurance Portis can take out from Lloyd's of London to hedge any potential injury. Probably a little expensive for a decent amount of coverage given that he doesn't have the greatest injury track record.

I have a hard time supporting players' hold-outs when they already make well over ten times as much as the average Joe (and that's just the "lesser paid" players). If they are really so concerned about their careers being cut short, then they should stay in college the full 4 years, get an education and get a real job if playing a game doesn't pan out. And maybe not spending all of their money on gold, furs and Escalades would help too.I know this is commonplace in all sports, it's just frustrating hearing these people complain and expect you to be on their side when they live in a fantasy land. Or when they flat out lie, say they want to play for a winner, but instead sign the biggest contract for the crappiest team.No point really, just venting...
All I can say to this is that I think you are seeing the NFL far too much like MLB or NBA. These guys in the NFL really do work their tails off more than any other sport IMO. Not only that, but they have shorter careers and get paid less respectivly for what they do. They are one play away from lossing their careers every day. Its not like that in any other sport. I know this seems greedy from an outsider, but think about the life cycle in the NFL. Your window as a player is only opened for a short amount of time, so you really do gotta get what you can when you can get it. This is even more so true for the RB position. No position takes more of a beating and losses it value faster. Portis is a top 5 RB in the NFL and a top 20 player without a doubt. He should be paid accordingly. I don't think he is asking for anything outragous or over the top. Simply looking for fair market value thats all. I can promise you fair market value for a RB of his caliber is far more than 1 mil every 2 years. How would you feel if one day while at work you found out that 90% of the people you work with, of which almost all you outperform where making 15x what you make. Bet you wouldn't be too pleased either.

Again, you're not being fair because the "greed" of the players pales in comparison to what the NFL owners are doing. The NFL owners run a oligopoly. The NFL is so massively profitable and the ownership so interconnected, that they set a labor market that would be considered unfair under most labor law reviews. But, because everyone gets paid, and the salary cap goes up every year, the NFLPA plays along. It's not about whether a guy makes 10x what you make. I don't think Portis wants or cares for your sympathy. But I think there's a big difference between being sympathetic to this guys cause and intelligent enough to understand that he's doing everything he can to provide for himself and his family financially; something every last one of us tries to do to a certain degree.Cheers

Actually he is being greedy. He signed a 4 year contract to play at a given wage. Why on earth should a football player be guarnteed anything normal people are not? Why should Denver have to give millions more to him simply because he had a good season, in which he was injured several times. He's already worth 1.25 Million if he didn't blow it already. He knows his job is a high risk endeavor, if he didn't want to take the risk then don't play. Personally I ride Motocross and if I end up with a serious injury my company will not do anything above and beyond the law for me. If I come up lame on my current job do to a work accident once again I am not given anything above and beyond the law. Also If I have a good season my company will give me a bonus or a raise. Maybe Portis deserves a bonus as specified by his contact like a normal person. If I make my company 25 million and I'm currently making 80,000 and all other CEO's are making 480,000 a year I have no right until my contract is up to demand a raise when I accepted the lower salary and agreed to a four year deal. If the company see fit to void my contact so be it. but it's not place to not come to work and force them to hand me a new deal.Personally, I'd like to see Denver bench him for two year, force him to work a janitor, ball boy, secretary, or send him out on the most vile PR stunts possible (maybe billboard sitting in the dead of winter in Green Bay). Then if he refuses sue him for failure to meet his contact obligaions for 1.25 million plus damages to the team. For example hiring a new rookie RB to replace him at a cost of 500,000 signing bonus, plus he contact cost.

I have been a Broncos homer for 30 years and I say let him sit!I agree he might underpaid based on production, but he signed a contract and should honor it. It should be up to the Broncos to offer him more money and not for him to be asking for it out of greed. If he wanted first round money, then he should have impressed enough during his time at Miami to be a first round pick. This whole thing is being driven by Drew Rosenhaus. Portis fired his agent last season and signed Rosenhaus, so everyone knew this was coming.Shanahan is one guy he cannot bully. If Portis pushes this too far it will be a huge mistake. Portis has not shown he can stay healthy for an entire season yet in his two NFL years. With Denver's cap situation, I think Denver will stick to their guns and address other needs first. It will then be Portis' option to sit and watch or be part of the program. I can guarantee you this, Griffin and Anderson are reading this today and licking their chops.

Actually he is being greedy. He signed a 4 year contract to play at a given wage. Why on earth should a football player be guarnteed anything normal people are not?
Because the marketplace has determined what his value is, and it's more than Joe Meatball, Eddie Punchclock, and Sally Housecoat. This isn't communism.

Actually he is being greedy. He signed a 4 year contract to play at a given wage. Why on earth should a football player be guarnteed anything normal people are not? Why should Denver have to give millions more to him simply because he had a good season, in which he was injured several times. He's already worth 1.25 Million if he didn't blow it already. He knows his job is a high risk endeavor, if he didn't want to take the risk then don't play. Personally I ride Motocross and if I end up with a serious injury my company will not do anything above and beyond the law for me. If I come up lame on my current job do to a work accident once again I am not given anything above and beyond the law. Also If I have a good season my company will give me a bonus or a raise. Maybe Portis deserves a bonus as specified by his contact like a normal person. If I make my company 25 million and I'm currently making 80,000 and all other CEO's are making 480,000 a year I have no right until my contract is up to demand a raise when I accepted the lower salary and agreed to a four year deal. If the company see fit to void my contact so be it. but it's not place to not come to work and force them to hand me a new deal.Personally, I'd like to see Denver bench him for two year, force him to work a janitor, ball boy, secretary, or send him out on the most vile PR stunts possible (maybe billboard sitting in the dead of winter in Green Bay). Then if he refuses sue him for failure to meet his contact obligaions for 1.25 million plus damages to the team. For example hiring a new rookie RB to replace him at a cost of 500,000 signing bonus, plus he contact cost.
Again, you're missing a vital point. If, as CEO, you did that for your company and then they proceeded to fire you, you would either a) get a HUGE golden parachute or b) would have a great case for wrongful dismissal and breach of contract. Ergo, the company has the same rights to sue you if you choose not to honor your contract. When you're dealing with NON GUARANTEED ( :wall: how many times do we have to emphasize this), neither side has that legal leverage. NFL teams (or a company in your example) cannot on one hand say, well...the contract is IRONCLAD unless I say so, for whatever reason, in which case we can either end that contract or make you take a paycut, and you have no recourse...and then on the other cry foul when someone holds out for a better deal.Again, Portis has the contractual right to sit out. He will not get paid, and he will not get a year of service toward free agency. If the team truly feels he's not worth more money, they can tell him to either show up or sit out and not get a penny; and the onus will be on Clinton to really show how much he's willing to make a stand.Cheers

I can't help but notice how so many people keep saying that he signed the contract 2 yrs. ago and should have to stick with it, and has no right to want it restructered now. Well he also signed that contract as a back-up RB for the Broncos, therefor "by contract" he should not be expected to start and put his body at risk vs. some of the most brutal men on the face of this country every Sun. If they are going to increase his role and importance to the team then he should be rewarded for it.

The way i look at all these situations ( player holdouts) no matter what sport is that the players are to blame. The reason i think this is because very year you see a player sit out and demand a raise because they had a good year so why don't players get THEIR AGENTS to put incentive clauses in their contracts so when they achieve thier goals they get rewarded for them and we wouldn't have these situations.

Man this "honor the contract" argument is stale. Every time a player threatens to hold out, this board goes through the same old routine. The guys who think a contract is a contract and should be honored regardless of circumstances and the guys who think that if a contract can be broken by the team it should be able to be broken by the player but heads, nobody ever changers their mind and very little useful information is imparted.Talk about what happens IF he holds out. That is fun and useful. Talking about whether he SHOULD hold out or not is moot.I'm not talking down to anyone here since I'm as guilty as anyone having been through about 7 of these silly arguments. I'm just saying you are wasting your time and energy in case you care. You can just as easily go back and read the Priest threads from a year ago.Edit to add NOT talking down instead of talking down.

The way i look at all these situations ( player holdouts) no matter what sport is that the players are to blame. The reason i think this is because very year you see a player sit out and demand a raise because they had a good year so why don't players get THEIR AGENTS to put incentive clauses in their contracts so when they achieve thier goals they get rewarded for them and we wouldn't have these situations.
Because rookie contracts are slotted by draft pick and agents and rookies have very little leeway, that's why.The vast majority of incentives, particularly those that are deemed "achievable" factor into the cap, and are thus not acceptable to NFL teams who operate under a specific rookie salary cap in addition to the overall cap.Cheers

I can't help but notice how so many people keep saying that he signed the contract 2 yrs. ago and should have to stick with it, and has no right to want it restructered now. Well he also signed that contract as a back-up RB for the Broncos, therefor "by contract" he should not be expected to start and put his body at risk vs. some of the most brutal men on the face of this country every Sun. If they are going to increase his role and importance to the team then he should be rewarded for it.
He signed a 4 year deal to do a job. In 4 years, he will have his job review (a new contract negotiation).So, when his contract is done, he can say this is what I have done for you. I became a starter, did this, did that, etc. BUT, until that 4 years is done and he gets his job review, he should continue to do the things he is doing and let his play on the field determine what he gets when his contract is up.Now, if the Broncos wish to proactively give him a raise for what he has done before his 4 year job review, that is fine, it is their choice. Just don't go asking for it when you are under a current contract and then threaten to hold out when they tell you no.

He signed a 4 year deal to do a job. In 4 years, he will have his job review (a new contract negotiation).So, when his contract is done, he can say this is what I have done for you. I became a starter, did this, did that, etc. BUT, until that 4 years is done and he gets his job review, he should continue to do the things he is doing and let his play on the field determine what he gets when his contract is up.Now, if the Broncos wish to proactively give him a raise for what he has done before his 4 year job review, that is fine, it is their choice. Just don't go asking for it when you are under a current contract and then threaten to hold out when they tell you no.
What if he suffers a career ending injury? They guys don't play long, and they take a temendous physical beating. The life expectancy of an NFL player is lower than that of normal people for a reason. Give him his cash, he's one of the best.

Users who are viewing this thread