What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (6 Viewers)

Tailgate in hammers limits a grass private lot on Abbott diagnal from the field house number one tailgate in the league is there the red pinto tailgate DM if you need more info.

Buffalo Bills WR Marquise Goodwin (hand) is expected to play Week 6 and handle the kick returner role during the game.

Source: KFFL.com

Glad to have him back.
Definitely. He certainly brings a spark on both special teams and at WR. IMO, he should replace Graham for his blocking ability alone.

I also read that Spiller is going to play as well.

I expect Byrd to play but for some reason feel like Gilmore will be one more week. No specific info on either, just my guy from what's been said about each of them them week.

Stevie out today. That's a bummer and a big loss for That Lewis.
I'm curious to see if they get Easley in the game at all to help take his place. Graham and Goodwin aren't the slot/possession type WR Stevie is. Easley is a bit closer. I figure he and/or Hogan should see a handful of snaps today.

IvanKaramazov said:
Mid-October. Time to start looking forward to the draft.
Hate to say it but I'm getting that feeling as well.

This season would would have a totally different feel if Manuel wasn't out for 6-8 weeks. Just as Lewis begins to look like a legit backup, he's in a walking boot.

At this point, this season comes down to seeing the young guys step up and show we have a foundation to build around.

Kiko Alonso, Stephon Gilmore, Marcell Dareus, Marquise Goodwin, TJ Graham, Robert Woods, Jerry Hughes, Aaron Williams, Da'Noris Searcy. I just want to see these guys grow and improve as the season moves along.

I hate to say it cause I've been a big Byrd fan since stepped into the FS spot but I think it is time to move on. I am all for moving him at the deadline at this point intsead of him walking out the door for nothing. I would not take anything less then a 2nd round pick for him since that is what he cost. I also would not be opposed for a 1st round pick in 2015.

Before people jump all over me, he is a top safety in this league that can make big plays & tackle

I'm a Byrd guy but I don't know who is going to jump all over you for that. The problem I think is getting the 2nd round pick. Not sure anyone is giving that up so they can get 9 games from a Safety.

I'm a Byrd guy but I don't know who is going to jump all over you for that. The problem I think is getting the 2nd round pick. Not sure anyone is giving that up so they can get 9 games from a Safety.
I don't any other team will have a problem signing on him long term. From all his interviews this season, it seems like he just doesn't want to be in Buffalo. IDK why not; we developed him from a no name 2nd round CB into an All-Pro FS. I think it's mostly Eugene Parker; same thing happened with Jason Peters.

I would go with a conditional 3rd that turns into a 2nd if he signs long term. The team still has some security, they can franchise him again if they can't work anything out. I highly doubt that will be an issue. His biggest problem seems to be with staying in Buffalo.

I don't any other team will have a problem signing on him long term. From all his interviews this season, it seems like he just doesn't want to be in Buffalo. IDK why not; we developed him from a no name 2nd round CB into an All-Pro FS. I think it's mostly Eugene Parker; same thing happened with Jason Peters.
To be fair, if I were a multi-millionaire 27 year old from the west coast/Missouri, capable of getting just as much money elsewhere, I probably wouldn't want to be in Buffalo either...

I would go with a conditional 3rd that turns into a 2nd if he signs long term. The team still has some security, they can franchise him again if they can't work anything out. I highly doubt that will be an issue. His biggest problem seems to be with staying in Buffalo.
Buffalo has nothing to do with it. He wants to be the highest paid safety in the game. Period. If Buffalo had offered him a contract that made him the highest paid safety by just $1 he'd happily be a Bill for the next 5-6 years. It's 100% about money and the ego of having the biggest contract for both Byrd and Parker.

IvanKaramazov said:
Mid-October. Time to start looking forward to the draft.
I think this is true, but it feels different this year for some reason. The Bills have managed to stay competitive in each game, despite the injuries. The young players seem to be getting better week to week, especially Alonso. Woods looks like he could be a ProBowl receiver some day. Even Dareus is showing signs of being worthy of his high draft pick.

I guess that different feeling is called "optimism".

Hard to win in a passing league when you lose your top three CBs and three QBs. Hope Thad can play. Maybe he can show EJ the proper way to throw the deep ball (inbounds).

It is all hindsight, but a vet to show EJ the ropes would be a lot more valuable than Toole as a backup (not qualifying Thad as a vet, just saying)

The problem is that no team can sign Byrd to a long-term deal until after the season. His franchise tag locked him into that contract for this year which cannot be renegotiated until it expires in the off-season. Thus, it is highly unlikely the Bills will find any team willing to give them a high round draft pick to rent a guy for 9 weeks. That's why it makes a lot more sense to hold on to Byrd for the remainder of the year, franchise tag him in the off-season (teams have a window to negotiate long-term deals with tagged players until around mid-August of every season) and then trade him to the highest bidder.

Matt Flynn? Really? Is he really any better than Tuel?

The guy had one good game in the perfect system with great receivers against a crappy Lions team, and has been milking it every since.

But at this point it's hard to find a bigger QB pariah. Seattle gave up on him. Then THE RAIDERS gave up on him. Seriously. The effing Raiders don't want this guy as a backup.

What a waste of money and a roster spot. Might as well go resign Matt Leinhart.

The problem is that no team can sign Byrd to a long-term deal until after the season. His franchise tag locked him into that contract for this year which cannot be renegotiated until it expires in the off-season. Thus, it is highly unlikely the Bills will find any team willing to give them a high round draft pick to rent a guy for 9 weeks. That's why it makes a lot more sense to hold on to Byrd for the remainder of the year, franchise tag him in the off-season (teams have a window to negotiate long-term deals with tagged players until around mid-August of every season) and then trade him to the highest bidder.
I'm well aware of the rules. No negotiating with him until the end of the season.

I worded it poorly but what I meant to say was that the team trading for Byrd still has some security; they can just franchise him again. So he isn't just a 9 game rental. They would be guaranteed to have him until the end of the 2014-2015 season.

I still feel like it's something about being in Buffalo personally. I could be wrong & and he just wants to be the highest paid safety in the league.

I'd rather not spend the cap room to make Byrd the highest paid safety. FS really isn't at the top of my list for spending top dollar. We are going to need to resign both Stephon Gilmore & Cordy Glenn in a couple seasons. I consider a lockdown CB & a stud LT more important to the team myself

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm well aware of the rules. No negotiating with him until the end of the season.

I worded it poorly but what I meant to say was that the team trading for Byrd still has some security; they can just franchise him again. So he isn't just a 9 game rental. They would be guaranteed to have him until the end of the 2014-2015 season.

I still feel like it's something about being in Buffalo personally. I could be wrong & and he just wants to be the highest paid safety in the league.

I'd rather not spend the cap room to make Byrd the highest paid safety. FS really isn't at the top of my list for spending top dollar. We are going to need to resign both Stephon Gilmore & Cordy Glenn in a couple seasons. I consider a lockdown CB & a stud LT more important to the team myself
Guaranteeing him only through next year under the franchise tag is still too steep a price for teams to pay when talking about giving up a high round pick. Most teams view those first few rounds as a means to bring in guys that will be on your club for the next 4 or 5 years.

Great win. One of those close loses goes a different way and I'd be feeling much better about this season.

Mario absolutely killed it today. I think he's looking better than he has in a long time. Maybe playing some of his best football this year. I think I even saw him getting vocal on the sidelines which would be great if he could become more of a leader.

When does Gilmore get his cast off? And when will Spiller start playing like we know he can?

So far I really like some of the youngsters they've put together. Woods, Kiko, Easly, etc. hopefully will be in Bills uniforms for a long time.

Wow, beating a rested Miami on the road? Love what Marrone has brought to the team, but Pettine is the big difference here. This game was won by the D and look at the difference in Williams.

Anyone know Thad's contract status? It'd be nice if we could have him as a backup for a few years.
I would have to imagine it's a 1 year deal. I don't think you can have a guy on the practice squad signed to multi year deal can you? So unless there was a quiet deal when they promoted him, I'm guessing that his contract runs out at the end of the year.

Yesterday I just realized that the Bills started the season with just 2 QBs in the 53 man roster and now they're all the way up to 4. I have to think that if they like what they see out of Flynn this week in practice that Tuel is cut. Even though the injury problems have largely abated, carrying 4 QBs is just ridiculous.

Tuel is practice squad at the least. The Bills coaching staff is high on his potential.

So has anyone heard anything about when Gilmore gets the cast off? He's not close to playing like he usually does with it. He can't bump at the line, can't use his hands on the routes. He's a very aggressive db and that cast is not allowing him to play like he normally does.

Tuel is practice squad at the least. The Bills coaching staff is high on his potential.
If they like him as much as they've indicated, that disastrous Cleveland performance may have been a good thing in disguise. They said they were worried about him not making it through waivers after the preseason...I can't imagine teams are going to be beating down his door now that they've seen him in real NFL action. They've got a better chance of sneaking him onto the PS now than they ever did before.

That said, what are the rules for practice squad eligibility? IIRC it's that the player can't be on the active roster for X number of games. I would assume that he's been dressed for every game so far this year, right? #2 QB behind Manuel for weeks 1-5, #2 QB behind Lewis for weeks 6-7? Or was he not active this week?

If they like him as much as they've indicated, that disastrous Cleveland performance may have been a good thing in disguise. They said they were worried about him not making it through waivers after the preseason...I can't imagine teams are going to be beating down his door now that they've seen him in real NFL action. They've got a better chance of sneaking him onto the PS now than they ever did before.

That said, what are the rules for practice squad eligibility? IIRC it's that the player can't be on the active roster for X number of games. I would assume that he's been dressed for every game so far this year, right? #2 QB behind Manuel for weeks 1-5, #2 QB behind Lewis for weeks 6-7? Or was he not active this week?
Tuel was active this week. I saw him on the sideline.

Agreed on Gilmore. On the one hand, he's able to play himself into game shape, but he's clearly a liability out there. Not like Justin Rogers, but he is being taken advantage of by offenses. Jamming receivers at the line is a big part of his game and he can't do it at all. He also can't get his hands up to knock down passes and he is making Deion Sanders look like a tackling machine rigg now. Teams are running tons of screens his way because they know he can't do anything about it.

This looks to be the key part of practice squad eligibility:

A player is eligible if he does not have an accrued season of NFL experience. Players gain an accrued season by being on the active roster for at least six games.

If a player has one accrued season, they can still be practice squad eligible if they were on the 45-man active gameday roster for less than nine regular season games.
So Tuel would still be PS eligible right now because he has been on the 45 man game day roster less than 9 times.

Will the Bills coaching staff finally retire the read option? The risk-reward doesn't make sense. It's not even close.

Will the Bills coaching staff finally retire the read option? The risk-reward doesn't make sense. It's not even close.
It's not like Manuel is that fast to begin with and Thad is as slow as molasses.

But typical Bills. A few bad plays killed them. And throw in injuries to both Stevie and Goodwin and that's the Bills we know.

One or two players in the secondary and this D will be top 5 next year. It is the same guys every week who kill the Bills.

It's not like Manuel is that fast to begin with and Thad is as slow as molasses.

But typical Bills. A few bad plays killed them. And throw in injuries to both Stevie and Goodwin and that's the Bills we know.
What was Goodwin's injury?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not like Manuel is that fast to begin with and Thad is as slow as molasses.But typical Bills. A few bad plays killed them. And throw in injuries to both Stevie and Goodwin and that's the Bills we know.
What was Goodwin's injury?
Tim Graham reported he was carted to locker room with an elbow injury.

Weird stat

Bills are 5th BEST in the league in defense pass completion perentage, but 5th WORST in yards allowed.

Too many deep balls.

KC is giving up almost a yard more per rushing attempt than Buf. I see the Bills winning this, cant see Smith beating them with the deep ball with this WR corp.

I've given up on this season, but not as I have in seasons past, when I'd stop watching games and just quietly cry myself to sleep on the couch by halftime.

With all the injuries and the new staff, I'm giving them a pass and eagerly watching the building project.

I think we've found our backup QB. They better sign him for 5 years. Him and EJ have the potential to be what Washington has in their two young QBs.

I'm looking for Spiller to rebound in the second half (I hope), both because he's taken time to heal and *hopefully* Marrone tweaks his playcalling to adjust to Spiller's strengths (i.e. add more screens, sweeps, etc.).

I'm looking to see if this secondary can gel, and praying Bryd somehow resigns (it ain't going to happen, I know). I'm looking hard at Gilmore and McKelvin as the solution to our long issues at CB, and hoping the draft brings us a quality nickel back in the second or third round.

I'm watching Kiko every week with popcorn.

I'm seeing the D-line finally become what it should be. I'm seeing Mario become a team leader.

I'm praying they draft a guard or two high in April's draft.

I'm seeing all this, and I'm hoping that 2014 is the year they push for the playoffs.

Will be nice to take out the last undefeated team. I think it's completely possible. I would've liked our chances a lot more with Thad though. Spiller is gonna have to be huge.

Users who are viewing this thread