What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (2 Viewers)

As a bitter Bills fan, I'm reduced to being am awful person and be smiling inside at the Gronk news.

That and all my friends that are Browns fans whining about the refs. Welcome to what the rest of the AFC deals with twice a year!

I'm having such a hard time trying to decide if I'm rooting for the Bills to win these last three games or to lose them. A loss to Jacksonville almost assures us of a top 10 pick in this upcoming draft. But to win the next three would give us momentum going into next year and possibly changing the mentality on the team. Plus it would be so nice to beat New England no matter what.

Would changing our draft position 5-7 spots be worth it to you if we won 2 or 3 of our next games? Is there that player you are desperate to have that wouldn't be there if we start winning?

Some players that would be nice to have that will be in our range:

Jake Matthews (if QB's fly off the board and we're low enough)

Khalil Mack

Mike Evans

Sammy Watkins

HaHa Clinton-Dix

Jace Amero

I'm sure other names will jump into top 15 conversation as the draft process goes on (and some of these names will fall) but wondering what Bills fans think we need to turn this franchise around. Wins and a mentality change or a top draft pick to get a stud?

I hope they play well but wouldn't mind if they dropped a game or three to bring in more/better talent on draft day..

Any of us Bills fans think we should consider taking another QB if we lose the next three and get an early pick? Any QB in this years top 10 will almost assuredly be a big upgrade on Manual.

Any of us Bills fans think we should consider taking another QB if we lose the next three and get an early pick? Any QB in this years top 10 will almost assuredly be a big upgrade on Manual.
Yes, the Bills should definitely consider it. No, the Bills definitely will not consider it.

My biggest problem with Manuel all along is that he has never shown that he has sufficient accuracy to play at this level. This was the knock on him going back to Florida State. Has there ever been a quarterback whose seen his accuracy materially increase from college to the pros? (or at least with a QB who had suspect accuracy to begin with)

They mention our tailgate in there. Pinto tailgate, with the bowling ball shots. Private lot. My good buddy's father runs, Provide free food to any fan home or away. It's nice because we recieve the same treatment on away games from other Super Fan inductees.

Ps Jags may be without Shorts and MJD. "Here Buffalo, please beat and jump us"

I want EJ to play well and no significant injuries more than anything

I'm ok with taking a qb but I'm not ok with reaching to take a qb. We have plenty of needs and Manuel will likely get at least another year or two to prove himself. The last draft is looking like one of the better classes we've had for a while. If we can get another couple like that, we'll start looking like we'll have enough talent to finally compete again.

Just sayin' here, but if we lose today, Cleveland beats Chicago and Oakland somehow beats KC, then we'll be sitting 4th in the draft with a chance to get a big time difference maker.

I mean, that's possible Clowney/Barr territory.

I think the Browns have it about right: play competitively and look like you're building momentum but still lose and improve draft position.

Yes, the Bills should definitely consider it. No, the Bills definitely will not consider it.

My biggest problem with Manuel all along is that he has never shown that he has sufficient accuracy to play at this level. This was the knock on him going back to Florida State. Has there ever been a quarterback whose seen his accuracy materially increase from college to the pros? (or at least with a QB who had suspect accuracy to begin with)
The only one that comes to mind is Donovan McNabb. He had a 58.1% completion percentage at Syracuse and it took him six years in the pros before he completed 60% or better of his throws. That said, he did more with his legs than EJ.

Here's the problem I have with EJ as the Bills QB going forward: the offense seems to revolve around short throws. EJ's average yards per attempt is only 6.4 (32nd among qualifying QBs in the NFL). He is not very accurate, so short dink and dunk seems to be the wrong approach. With Goodwin and Graham, I would air it out a lot more than we've seen so far from the Bills offense.

So I notice Mario Williams, after having 11 sacks in the first 8 games, only has 1 sack over the last 6 (although he only played in 5). Is he playing hurt, is he ineffective, or are offenses just double and triple teaming him? Just curious because we don't see many Buffalo games down in Houston.

Mario has been playing well. The Bills are on pace to break the franchise sack record, they tied it this week with two to go.

dhockster said:
So I notice Mario Williams, after having 11 sacks in the first 8 games, only has 1 sack over the last 6 (although he only played in 5). Is he playing hurt, is he ineffective, or are offenses just double and triple teaming him? Just curious because we don't see many Buffalo games down in Houston.
I think offense's are just really focusing on stopping him and it shows:

Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus BOTH have 8 sacks a piece. I don't think you can name too many other DT duo's with 16 sacks. That is seriously impressive.

Then you have Jerry Hughes, who they got for basically nothing from IND (Kelvin Sheppard-he was goin be cut) with 9 sacks

So the Bills defense now has 49 sacks and 4 players with 8 sacks or more:

Mario Williams: 12

Jerry Hughes: 9

Macrcell Dareus: 8

Kyle Williams: 8

I am seriously impressed with what Mike Pettine has done with this defense. They also have 20 INT's which leads the league I believe

Last edited by a moderator:
dhockster said:
I think offense's are just really focusing on stopping him and it shows:

Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus BOTH have 8 sacks a piece. I don't think you can name too many other DT duo's with 16 sacks. That is seriously impressive.

Then you have Jerry Hughes, who they got for basically nothing from IND (Kelvin Sheppard-he was goin be cut) with 9 sacks

So the Bills defense now has 49 sacks and 4 players with 8 sacks or more:

Mario Williams: 12

Jerry Hughes: 9

Macrcell Dareus: 8

Kyle Williams: 8

I am seriously impressed with what Mike Pettine has done with this defense. They also have 20 INT's which leads the league I believe
Pretty numbers, and it's nice, but when they can stop the run and shut down scoring, I'll be happier.

With Mariota deciding to return to school and Bridgewater contemplating doing the same, it's looking more and more like the big time class to get a qb will be 2015 and not 2014. This is especially true if Jameis Winston decides to come out after his redshirt sophomore season. Manziel would likely be there for the Bills if they want him but I'm just not quite sold on him either as a leader or an NFL caliber pocket passer. I haven't seen any other qb prospect who would be worthy of that high first round pick other than Bridgewater who the Bills would have no shot at if he did come out.

With Mariota deciding to return to school and Bridgewater contemplating doing the same, it's looking more and more like the big time class to get a qb will be 2015 and not 2014. This is especially true if Jameis Winston decides to come out after his redshirt sophomore season. Manziel would likely be there for the Bills if they want him but I'm just not quite sold on him either as a leader or an NFL caliber pocket passer. I haven't seen any other qb prospect who would be worthy of that high first round pick other than Bridgewater who the Bills would have no shot at if he did come out.
Bridgwater and Maiota staying in the NCAA would be the best thing for the Bills. That gives EJ one more year to prove himself, and if he busts the Bills will groan through another agonizing season ending with a top 10 pick and the chance to nab a quality rook. If not, then EJ is the guy and it's all moot.

ETA: because there's no way they take a QB in round 1. It'd be career suicide for this regime to admit such a mistake this early, and IMO, EJ doesn't merit bust status yet. He's shown enough to merit another (full) year in Marrone's system to prove he can be a consistent passer.

A lot of our groaning about EJ is because, in part, that we're measuring him against recent wunderkind rookie QBs, like Luck and Griffin, who came in and immediately turned their teams around. Nobody thought EJ was that rare type of player. Before recent history, first round QBs were given a year or two to develop, and many did. Look at Drew Brees, arguably the best passer today. He was so sketchy for two years that the Chargers drafted (traded for) Rivers.

Draft spot locked in from 9-13. Would much rather beat the Patriots and get 13 than lose and get 9. (which means we'll probably get our butts kicked and get stuck with 11)

Don't want Mack, think it will be a lot easier to lure free agent defensive players with Pettine than squiring offensive talent

As much as I can't stand the kid and as much as I think his height could be an issue, I would not be opposed to taking Manziel if he is there. They won't though. They have already committed to Manuel as the starter next year.

The guy I would REALLY love to see them draft is CJ Mosely. Kiko was a great pick but they still sucked against the run. Mosely would be a big upgrade for them and give them some dominance in the middle of the linebacking corp for a long time.

A tall dominant WR is also a big position of need.

LG, RG, RB and S if Byrd is gone will also all be needs.

Nice year by Marrone, I think the team is on to something if they stick with him for the long haul and improve the QB (either Manuel gets better, or keep trying) and RB situation (just saying, Spiller doesn't say healthy and Jax is getting older...). But this looks like a system that can work.

It looks like he's flying up to Cleveland right now and today's meeting is going to be more of a contract negotiation than anything else. It looks like it will finally come to a head today for Pettine and for the Bills. I hope that Pettine doesn't mind the fact that the Browns even when compared to OBD look like an absolute cluster in their front office and that Pettine was likely the 5th or 6th choice there. Not exactly starting his new regime with the highest vote of confidence.

It looks like he's flying up to Cleveland right now and today's meeting is going to be more of a contract negotiation than anything else. It looks like it will finally come to a head today for Pettine and for the Bills. I hope that Pettine doesn't mind the fact that the Browns even when compared to OBD look like an absolute cluster in their front office and that Pettine was likely the 5th or 6th choice there. Not exactly starting his new regime with the highest vote of confidence.
Obviously I understand that fans wouldn't want him to go, but you don't honestly think that he shouldn't, do you?

Obviously I understand that fans wouldn't want him to go, but you don't honestly think that he shouldn't, do you?
I think of the 32 HC jobs in the league, I would probably rank the Browns over the Jags and Raiders and Redskins and no others. I absolutely think he should take it if he gets a representative salary and has some autonomy in picking and keeping a staff but he should absolutely know going in what kind of an organization he's dealing with.

I think of the 32 HC jobs in the league, I would probably rank the Browns over the Jags and Raiders and Redskins and no others. I absolutely think he should take it if he gets a representative salary and has some autonomy in picking and keeping a staff but he should absolutely know going in what kind of an organization he's dealing with.
He's been in the league a long time, I'm sure he's got some idea what he's getting into.

My order would be Schiano, Donnie Henderson, Wade Phillips, Pepper Johnson.

We'll also need a LBs coach if Pettine plucks ours as his DC

Users who are viewing this thread