What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (2 Viewers)

Not sure why some are disappointed that the Bills didn't go after a WR in the draft.  With the money spent on WR's in free agency, in Brown and Beasley, did you actually think another player would be added with those two, Foster and Jones in the mix and McKenzie as the 5th/special teamer in the mix?  Too many other holes to address, such as O-line and TE were more important and don't give me that old company line of picking the best athlete crap.  It's always been the best available athlete who can contribute right away.  Bills will be a run first type of team IMO.

If anything I'd question why the large log-jam of RB's in the mix?  Was there a market for Yeldon before the draft that the Bills HAD TO sign?  I don't get that.
Just because they used free agency to upgrade from 'Terrible' to 'Average-at-best' doesn't mean they should have ruled out that position group in the draft.

I understand there are some really good WR prospects next year, but there were a lot this year, too. It was a deep WR class. I've said it many times before - I wish they'd really focus on getting the offense right while we have a high-ceiling, developing, young QB. You have to do everything you can to set that QB up for success. I don't want to ruin his development by surrounding him with average talent and expecting him to both develop into a star and take all that average talent with him. 

To be honest, I don't care one bit about the team success, or the success of the defense this year. I'd really like to see the offense get into a good groove, then build the defense, supplement/refill the offense with a pick or free agent here and there in the next couple years. I think that is basically the Colts' model, and that's how I'd do it if I were in charge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because they used free agency to upgrade from 'Terrible' to 'Average-at-best' doesn't mean they should have ruled out that position group in the draft.

I understand there are some really good WR prospects next year, but there were a lot this year, too. It was a deep WR class. I've said it many times before - I wish they'd really focus on getting the offense right while we have a high-ceiling, developing, young QB. You have to do everything you can to set that QB up for success. I don't want to ruin his development by surrounding him with average talent and expecting him to both develop into a star and take all that average talent with him. 

To be honest, I don't care one bit about the team success, or the success of the defense this year. I'd really like to see the offense get into a good groove, then build the defense, supplement/refill the offense with a pick or free agent here and there in the next couple years. I think that is basically the Colts' model, and that's how I'd do it if I were in charge.
In fairness to the Bills, their first four picks were Ed Oliver (not like we were ever taking a WR at #9 in this class) followed by three offensive players.  It's not like they neglected Allen or the offense in general.  If they think that Ford, Singletary, and Knox were the best players available at those picks, then I'm glad they took them instead of reaching for a WR.  It's not like we don't need help at OL, RB, and TE too.  

Maybe they could have found value at the WR position later in the draft, but I don't think 5th+ round picks really count when it comes to seriously addressing a position.

In fairness to the Bills, their first four picks were Ed Oliver (not like we were ever taking a WR at #9 in this class) followed by three offensive players.  It's not like they neglected Allen or the offense in general.  If they think that Ford, Singletary, and Knox were the best players available at those picks, then I'm glad they took them instead of reaching for a WR.  It's not like we don't need help at OL, RB, and TE too.  

Maybe they could have found value at the WR position later in the draft, but I don't think 5th+ round picks really count when it comes to seriously addressing a position.
I don't disagree with any of that. I was just trying to say that I don't think going into the draft with the intention of not considering the position would have been wise. I doubt they did. 

This look inside the Buffalo Draft War Room is pretty interesting for a bunch of reasons. 

First, it's interesting just to see how much access they gave in the video. 

Secondly, it's an interesting look inside the minds of the front office. I find it hard to believe that this will be a front office that ever trades down much. I just can't think of a reality where they had enough information to truly know that other teams were as hot for Cody Ford as they were. There were OTs left that plenty of analysts had ranked over Ford, so believing that some team out there was so in love with Ford that the Bills had to trade up 2 spots to insure they got him seems like pure projection and paranoia.

This look inside the Buffalo Draft War Room is pretty interesting for a bunch of reasons. 

Secondly, it's an interesting look inside the minds of the front office. I find it hard to believe that this will be a front office that ever trades down much. I just can't think of a reality where they had enough information to truly know that other teams were as hot for Cody Ford as they were. There were OTs left that plenty of analysts had ranked over Ford, so believing that some team out there was so in love with Ford that the Bills had to trade up 2 spots to insure they got him seems like pure projection and paranoia.
When Carolina traded up they thought they were going after Ford.  They took Little. (The Bills met with Little a bunch, Carolina likely thought we wanted him). Buffalo then thought TB was going to take Ford so jumped up two spots with little cost to ensure someone from the back didn’t jump them. 

Trades they turned down from the video. 

Turned down 11,37 for 9

Tried sending both 4 rounders and pick 40 to get back into 28-32 range for Ford. Teams wanted a 3.  

Turned down 87 and a future 4th next year from Chicago as they liked Devin Singletary. 

Mentioned a run at TE to go get Dawson ahead of teams from end of round 3 like NE. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite my preference of building the offense first, it's hard to argue with the pick of Oliver at 9, but that is exactly the type of trade-down I was hoping they'd swing going into the draft.
Yeah, I can’t believe moving down 2 spots would have net a extra two.  If it was for Cinci to grab Oilver then I’m fine with it.  Beane has traded up 4x in drafts and has turned down several trade downs.  

Im happy with the draft none the less. 

Great share, I could watch stuff like that all day long 👍🏼

Mr. Peterson said:
Buffalo super-fan Ezra Castro, aka 'Pancho Billa,' dies after cancer battle https://sports.yahoo.com/buffalo-superfan-ezra-castro-aka-pancho-billa-dies-after-cancer-battle-171018722.html

One of the best fans in the entire NFL.  
How incredibly sad. Especially with 2 young kids. From what I've read, he was a really great guy. Even said he didn't want anyone sending flowers for his funeral because he hates flowers, he wanted people to being backpacks filled with school supplies for kids that couldn't afford them.

As a followup to my last post, a couple of Buffalo affiliated media guys reached out to an organization called The Teacher's Desk. Right now, a $10 donation will provide a backpack with $100 worth of supplies to a kid in Buffalo who needs it and they'll include a tag on the bag saying that it is from Pancho Billa. 

Link

Not a Bills fan but I love Singletary’s opportunity and tape. McCoy and Gore are not signed for next year (McCoy could actually get cut for nothing) and Yeldon is on a 2 year that they could get out of for very little dead money and save against the cap next year. Add in that Singletary is a 3rd round pick, it’s very likely he finds the field in the second half of the year and gets a chance.

His college tape showed him running behind a bad o line and getting contacted early and often. He still ran with pretty good vision and has exceptional contact balance and the balance to make some pretty crazy jukes. His receiving profile isn’t extensive but he did do it in his first year, they chose not utilize him going forward after that.

He’s been a strong mid 2nd round pick in my SF drafts and I have gotten offers on him post draft every single time. People are starting to get wise to his opportunity. I think he is the starter by year’s end and I like me a starting rb next to a running qb 

@AdamSchefter  May 21

Bills’ DE Jerry Hughes is signing a two-year extension worth up to $23 million that includes $19.5 million guaranteed, per source.

Busy day here in Buffalo.  

Hughes resigns.

Kroft breaks his foot, out 3-4 months. 

Beasley and Morse had core muscle surgery and out a little while. 

Eric Wood taking over for Kelso.  

And Josh Allen’s birthday!   :)  

Matt Hammond‏Verified account @MattHammondShow 15h15 hours ago

There’s a real chance that Cal McNair was talking about about, among other NFL teams, the Bills. He makes this comment last night. Less than 24 hours later, the Bills announce they’ve re-hired Brian Gaine. Don’t be surprised if Jadeveon Clowney ends up getting dealt to Buffalo.

Matt Hammond added,

Cal McNair on whether NFL teams know who to call if they want to trade with the Texans, since they don’t have a GM: “I promise you, people will know who to contact to make a trade.”…

---------------------------------------

Sigmund Bloom‏ @SigmundBloom 11h11 hours ago

Lowball the Texans into a 2020 second and a 2021 third and this becomes an easy trade

Joel Corry @corryjoel

The July 15 long term deal deadline for franchise players applies to any team that would trade for Jadeveon Clowney. The inability to do a deal now complicates a trade & should limit the draft choice compensation. https://twitter.com/DonCorleone35/status/1153741314854412288 …

So, that's Wood I'm hearing on the radio with Murph?

Umm, I guess I should give him a little time to get some experience...
He's a smart dude and I've enjoyed a lot of his writing and podcast appearances since he retired, but it can take some time to figure out chemistry for color guys. Some guys never get it figured out, but he may develop.

Allen's performance wasn't great tonight. His accuracy wasn't great and he missed some open guys. BUT, the first play of the game would have been a huge game if the TE wasn't held and Zay Jones just flat out dropped a sure TD that hit him directly in the hands in stride. 

Bodine and Yeldon may have both played themselves off the roster.

McCloud and Cam Phillips both improved quite a bit since last season. The two of them may be fighting over a roster spot. Good to see both of them develop.

Singletary is going to be pretty good and they are clearly excited about him.

This defense is legit. The D-line is just going to be impossible to handle. You can't double all of Hughes, Oliver, Murphy, Alexander, etc. And this Darryl Johnson kid seems absolutely the real deal. They'd better find him a spot on the roster because no way will he make it through to the practice squad.

A lot of fans were excited about Sills, but not only do I not think he's good enough to make the team, he may not make the practice squad. 

I had hopes that Duke Williams could be something, but it definitely looks like he is a looooonnngggg shot to make the team.

Cory looks to have the advantage over Corey in the punting battle so far.

Ok, Christian Wade scoring a long TD in his first carry ever is just plain awesome.

I still think they should try to figure out a way to try to turn him into a kick/punt returner as well.

This defense is legit. The D-line is just going to be impossible to handle. You can't double all of Hughes, Oliver, Murphy, Alexander, etc. And this Darryl Johnson kid seems absolutely the real deal. They'd better find him a spot on the roster because no way will he make it through to the practice squad.
:goodposting:

Obviously all the attention goes to Allen, the rebuilt O-line, all the new receivers, Singletary, etc.  But the defense should be really, really good this year.  They have good starting talent, and also really good depth on the D-line and secondary.

I was hoping after all the work I read about Allen dong this offseason it would show on the field. I fear he is what he is....an exciting athlete who has a rocket arm but cannot make the necessary throws consistently enough to be a starting QB in the NFL long term. Love the kid and his attitude and am rooting for him. It is early and he is still young in the process....but he looked like he did last year.....erratic.

Mr. Peterson said:
Anything to see here with the Clowney talk? 
Frankly, I hope not.  Our D-line is already excellent, and I don't want to give up draft capital that can be used to address the WR position (and further improve the OL) next year.

Mr. Peterson said:
Anything to see here with the Clowney talk? 
Tim Graham and a few others are saying it's fake news.  The only guy that's saying it's still legit is the "Stevie Johnson Podcast" show who has been right about Thanksgiving game in Dallas before anyone.

I think you can lowball the Texans and get something done, but it would have to be an under the table handshake agreement or conditional picks if he signs an extension next year. We don't have the line to send them but it was interested they held out Ty Nsehke in practice yesterday AFTER he was dressed, so it didn't seem like a planned veteran rest day.  Lawson and a 3rd for Clowney would be cool.

There seems to be a major difference in quality of depth on this year's team versus previous years. This team looks like a legit NFL team. 

I don't know how the season will actually play out, but I'm actually feeling fairly optimistic about the Bills going forward.

Oh, and Cole Beasley is going to be a PPR monster in fantasy.

There seems to be a major difference in quality of depth on this year's team versus previous years. This team looks like a legit NFL team. 

I don't know how the season will actually play out, but I'm actually feeling fairly optimistic about the Bills going forward.

Oh, and Cole Beasley is going to be a PPR monster in fantasy.
Carolina north looks really good and Allen will be a fantasy steal this year

Really wishing Christian Wade was a 22 year old learning football and not 28.  He certainly has some moves and has shown potential.  Problem is, even if he makes the team next year he’s still gonna be a 29 year old “rookie”.  

Really wishing Christian Wade was a 22 year old learning football and not 28.  He certainly has some moves and has shown potential.  Problem is, even if he makes the team next year he’s still gonna be a 29 year old “rookie”.  
I still think Marcus Murphy is a pretty good RB, too. Bummer of a situation for those two. Who knows if either will clear waivers to the PS, so maybe they'll catch on with another team with less depth. Who knows...

I think they really need to make an attempt to try him as a returner.

Does Wade not count against our practice squad numbers this year? 
Found it. 

“At the conclusion of training camp, players will be eligible for an international player practice squad exemption with teams being given an exemption for an eleventh practice squad member – ineligible to be activated during the season.”

Found it. 

“At the conclusion of training camp, players will be eligible for an international player practice squad exemption with teams being given an exemption for an eleventh practice squad member – ineligible to be activated during the season.
That's stupid. I might rather they not use the exemption given Gore and McCoy's age.

Some guy from PFF was making an argument on WGR that Josh Allen checking down and making the shorter throws that he's been making in the pre-season isn't ideal. He justified it by making this argument:

Steve Palazzolo - When you look at Allen's skillset, you have to ask what you want him to do. Having a slot option is good, but you don't want to turn him into older Brady or Brees. His arm is a weapon. Use it. #Bills

Yeah...as a Bills fan, I can say with 100% certainty that if Allen was turned into the older version of two of the greatest QBs to ever play, one of whom led his team to a Super Bowl in 4 of the last 5 years winning 3 of them, I would be perfectly fine with that.

Some guy from PFF was making an argument on WGR that Josh Allen checking down and making the shorter throws that he's been making in the pre-season isn't ideal. He justified it by making this argument:

Yeah...as a Bills fan, I can say with 100% certainty that if Allen was turned into the older version of two of the greatest QBs to ever play, one of whom led his team to a Super Bowl in 4 of the last 5 years winning 3 of them, I would be perfectly fine with that.
"Sure, Allen throws a pretty deep ball and can run like a deer, but you have to be able to hit those short passes and consistently move the chains to succeed in the NFL, and Allen hasn't shown the ability to do that."

[Allen proceeds to throw a bunch of short passes and consistently move the chains]

"There's more to the NFL than just the short passing game, buddy."

"Sure, Allen throws a pretty deep ball and can run like a deer, but you have to be able to hit those short passes and consistently move the chains to succeed in the NFL, and Allen hasn't shown the ability to do that."

[Allen proceeds to throw a bunch of short passes and consistently move the chains]

"There's more to the NFL than just the short passing game, buddy."
If Allen ends up being a good QB, there are a lot of "experts" that are going to look bad. A lot of these guys planted a serious flag in the ground on Allen for whatever reason to the point where they just about tied their credibility to his success or failure. And now their egos won't let them even begin to admit that there is any progress or reason to believe that Allen could be good.

So the goalposts will keep moving, the reasoning will keep changing, the excuses will keep coming and the knot-tying will continue.

I can't find it today, but there was a writer yesterday that wrote an article in a national publication headlined something like "Why Kyler Murray is better than he looks and Josh Allen is worse" predicated on Allen having easier down and distances to work with, throwing shorter passes, and having a great running game. Nevermind that Murray hasn't completed a pass over 7 yards (and has only thrown 2 over 7 yards), Allen did exactly what his critics said he couldn't do by completing short timing passes, Allen was in better down and distances because he actually completed passes and made smart decisions, and his RBs have averages about 1.5 yards per carry while he has been in this preseason. 

It's all insanity. I'm not saying Allen will be an all pro or even good, but to look at the preseason and say that it shows that he is NOT good is straight up trolling at this point.

If Allen ends up being a good QB, there are a lot of "experts" that are going to look bad. A lot of these guys planted a serious flag in the ground on Allen for whatever reason to the point where they just about tied their credibility to his success or failure.
That's the thing... You can take any highly drafted QB and find a ton of 'experts' on both sides of the fence. Personally, I am ignoring most all of that and taking a 'let's just wait and see if he takes the next step' approach.

Also, no, these comments aren't tied to these guys' credibility. They've all been blatantly wrong many times before. They just keep spitting out takes, and bask in the glory of the ones they get right.

I can't find it today, but there was a writer yesterday that wrote an article in a national publication headlined something like "Why Kyler Murray is better than he looks and Josh Allen is worse" predicated on Allen having easier down and distances to work with, throwing shorter passes, and having a great running game. Nevermind that Murray hasn't completed a pass over 7 yards (and has only thrown 2 over 7 yards), Allen did exactly what his critics said he couldn't do by completing short timing passes, Allen was in better down and distances because he actually completed passes and made smart decisions, and his RBs have averages about 1.5 yards per carry while he has been in this preseason. 
Yes, I saw that, and that's really the article I'm reacting to.  A lot of people formed opinions about Josh Allen before the draft, and honestly, they weren't unreasonable.  Most "super-raw but high-ceiling" QB prospects actually do bust.  Allen was different in that he never had anything resembling decent coaching, so his team's staff had an unusual opportunity to coach the guy up and correct mechanical flaws.  He showed a lot of progress last year and has looked pretty sharp so far this summer, but folks who dug in early can't change course.  He's just going to have to do it over the course of next season, and maybe that will get some people to change their minds.

Although, to be honest, it's like every bad pass and every interception gets blown out of proportion with Allen.  I was just watching the 1993 AFC Championship game against Miami last night.  Kelly had two ugly interceptions that took points off the board, and nobody said that he sucked because of those.  

“Browns acquired OG Wyatt Teller and a seventh-round pick from the Bills in exchange for fifth- and sixth-round picks.”

Uh, thank you Cleveland.  Reports are that he wasn’t going to make the team anyways.  Beanne is a stud.  

Users who are viewing this thread