Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
GroveDiesel

***Official Buffalo Bills Thread 2019 Version***

I’m ok with them not selecting a WR early this year.  Next year the WR class is supposed to be STACKED.  I’m all about getting a stud WR in one of the first two rounds in 2020.  The WR’s we have on the roster now can be cut pretty cheaply if they don’t pan out.  

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 11:30 AM, CanadianNFLJunkie said:

Not sure why some are disappointed that the Bills didn't go after a WR in the draft.  With the money spent on WR's in free agency, in Brown and Beasley, did you actually think another player would be added with those two, Foster and Jones in the mix and McKenzie as the 5th/special teamer in the mix?  Too many other holes to address, such as O-line and TE were more important and don't give me that old company line of picking the best athlete crap.  It's always been the best available athlete who can contribute right away.  Bills will be a run first type of team IMO.

If anything I'd question why the large log-jam of RB's in the mix?  Was there a market for Yeldon before the draft that the Bills HAD TO sign?  I don't get that.

Just because they used free agency to upgrade from 'Terrible' to 'Average-at-best' doesn't mean they should have ruled out that position group in the draft.

I understand there are some really good WR prospects next year, but there were a lot this year, too. It was a deep WR class. I've said it many times before - I wish they'd really focus on getting the offense right while we have a high-ceiling, developing, young QB. You have to do everything you can to set that QB up for success. I don't want to ruin his development by surrounding him with average talent and expecting him to both develop into a star and take all that average talent with him. 

To be honest, I don't care one bit about the team success, or the success of the defense this year. I'd really like to see the offense get into a good groove, then build the defense, supplement/refill the offense with a pick or free agent here and there in the next couple years. I think that is basically the Colts' model, and that's how I'd do it if I were in charge.

Edited by Grigs Allmoon

8 hours ago, Grigs Allmoon said:

Just because they used free agency to upgrade from 'Terrible' to 'Average-at-best' doesn't mean they should have ruled out that position group in the draft.

I understand there are some really good WR prospects next year, but there were a lot this year, too. It was a deep WR class. I've said it many times before - I wish they'd really focus on getting the offense right while we have a high-ceiling, developing, young QB. You have to do everything you can to set that QB up for success. I don't want to ruin his development by surrounding him with average talent and expecting him to both develop into a star and take all that average talent with him. 

To be honest, I don't care one bit about the team success, or the success of the defense this year. I'd really like to see the offense get into a good groove, then build the defense, supplement/refill the offense with a pick or free agent here and there in the next couple years. I think that is basically the Colts' model, and that's how I'd do it if I were in charge.

In fairness to the Bills, their first four picks were Ed Oliver (not like we were ever taking a WR at #9 in this class) followed by three offensive players.  It's not like they neglected Allen or the offense in general.  If they think that Ford, Singletary, and Knox were the best players available at those picks, then I'm glad they took them instead of reaching for a WR.  It's not like we don't need help at OL, RB, and TE too.  

Maybe they could have found value at the WR position later in the draft, but I don't think 5th+ round picks really count when it comes to seriously addressing a position.

24 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

In fairness to the Bills, their first four picks were Ed Oliver (not like we were ever taking a WR at #9 in this class) followed by three offensive players.  It's not like they neglected Allen or the offense in general.  If they think that Ford, Singletary, and Knox were the best players available at those picks, then I'm glad they took them instead of reaching for a WR.  It's not like we don't need help at OL, RB, and TE too.  

Maybe they could have found value at the WR position later in the draft, but I don't think 5th+ round picks really count when it comes to seriously addressing a position.

I don't disagree with any of that. I was just trying to say that I don't think going into the draft with the intention of not considering the position would have been wise. I doubt they did. 

This look inside the Buffalo Draft War Room is pretty interesting for a bunch of reasons. 

First, it's interesting just to see how much access they gave in the video. 

Secondly, it's an interesting look inside the minds of the front office. I find it hard to believe that this will be a front office that ever trades down much. I just can't think of a reality where they had enough information to truly know that other teams were as hot for Cody Ford as they were. There were OTs left that plenty of analysts had ranked over Ford, so believing that some team out there was so in love with Ford that the Bills had to trade up 2 spots to insure they got him seems like pure projection and paranoia.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

This look inside the Buffalo Draft War Room is pretty interesting for a bunch of reasons. 

Secondly, it's an interesting look inside the minds of the front office. I find it hard to believe that this will be a front office that ever trades down much. I just can't think of a reality where they had enough information to truly know that other teams were as hot for Cody Ford as they were. There were OTs left that plenty of analysts had ranked over Ford, so believing that some team out there was so in love with Ford that the Bills had to trade up 2 spots to insure they got him seems like pure projection and paranoia.

When Carolina traded up they thought they were going after Ford.  They took Little. (The Bills met with Little a bunch, Carolina likely thought we wanted him). Buffalo then thought TB was going to take Ford so jumped up two spots with little cost to ensure someone from the back didn’t jump them. 

Trades they turned down from the video. 

Turned down 11,37 for 9

Tried sending both 4 rounders and pick 40 to get back into 28-32 range for Ford. Teams wanted a 3.  

Turned down 87 and a future 4th next year from Chicago as they liked Devin Singletary. 

Mentioned a run at TE to go get Dawson ahead of teams from end of round 3 like NE. 

Edited by Gottabesweet

23 hours ago, Gottabesweet said:

Turned down 11,37 for 9

Despite my preference of building the offense first, it's hard to argue with the pick of Oliver at 9, but that is exactly the type of trade-down I was hoping they'd swing going into the draft.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grigs Allmoon said:

Despite my preference of building the offense first, it's hard to argue with the pick of Oliver at 9, but that is exactly the type of trade-down I was hoping they'd swing going into the draft.

Yeah, I can’t believe moving down 2 spots would have net a extra two.  If it was for Cinci to grab Oilver then I’m fine with it.  Beane has traded up 4x in drafts and has turned down several trade downs.  

Im happy with the draft none the less. 

On 5/3/2019 at 4:52 PM, GroveDiesel said:

Great share, I could watch stuff like that all day long 👍🏼

8 hours ago, Mr. Peterson said:

Buffalo super-fan Ezra Castro, aka 'Pancho Billa,' dies after cancer battle https://sports.yahoo.com/buffalo-superfan-ezra-castro-aka-pancho-billa-dies-after-cancer-battle-171018722.html

One of the best fans in the entire NFL.  

How incredibly sad. Especially with 2 young kids. From what I've read, he was a really great guy. Even said he didn't want anyone sending flowers for his funeral because he hates flowers, he wanted people to being backpacks filled with school supplies for kids that couldn't afford them.

• Like 2

As a followup to my last post, a couple of Buffalo affiliated media guys reached out to an organization called The Teacher's Desk. Right now, a $10 donation will provide a backpack with $100 worth of supplies to a kid in Buffalo who needs it and they'll include a tag on the bag saying that it is from Pancho Billa. 

Link

• Like 2

Not a Bills fan but I love Singletary’s opportunity and tape. McCoy and Gore are not signed for next year (McCoy could actually get cut for nothing) and Yeldon is on a 2 year that they could get out of for very little dead money and save against the cap next year. Add in that Singletary is a 3rd round pick, it’s very likely he finds the field in the second half of the year and gets a chance.

His college tape showed him running behind a bad o line and getting contacted early and often. He still ran with pretty good vision and has exceptional contact balance and the balance to make some pretty crazy jukes. His receiving profile isn’t extensive but he did do it in his first year, they chose not utilize him going forward after that.

He’s been a strong mid 2nd round pick in my SF drafts and I have gotten offers on him post draft every single time. People are starting to get wise to his opportunity. I think he is the starter by year’s end and I like me a starting rb next to a running qb 

• Like 1

Busy day here in Buffalo.  

Hughes resigns.

Kroft breaks his foot, out 3-4 months. 

Beasley and Morse had core muscle surgery and out a little while. 

Eric Wood taking over for Kelso.  

And Josh Allen’s birthday!  :) 

• Like 1