What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (5 Viewers)

Mr. Peterson said:
That’s awesome.  You’re part of the bowling ball crew?  You’re not the ketchup and mustard guy, are you? 
Yep that’s my crew. That’s my good friends father.  I’ll be up there squirting Pinto Ron with Stevie Johnson this week.  

The Duff Man said:
A lot of Bills fans in here....awful quiet. 

Are we all holding our breath to see if this is real?

Who is going Sunday?  I am in. 
Definitely holding breath. The Jets weren't nearly as bad of a team when the Bills played them (through 3 quarters at least before the Jets starting losing key players), but they weren't world beaters either. And the Giants aren't very good. So it's still hard to measure them. They won the games that they should have won which is more than they've always done in the past, but who knows what this team really is atill.

Bummed that Singletary is hurt. Hoping it's just 1 week that he's out. He would have lit up the Bengals on the outside this week.

Also not thrilled that just when Kroft was looking ready to play, he sprains his ankle and I'm guessing will miss this week now too. If that guy can't get healthy, the Bills need to move on after this season. This is ridiculous. 

I'm uneasy about Tre White practicing in a red jersey the last two days as well. Supposedly has sort of neck injury. That would be a huge blow.

I know the game is at home and everyone thinks the Bengals are terrible, and maybe they are, but Cincy has thrown for over 700 yards in 2 games. They have an offense. This game could be a real challenge. I don't think Sick Jauron, I mean Doug Marrone, I mean Sean McDermott can play his usual ultra conservative game. I think the Bills need to look to come out aggressive and score points all day long.

The last few years it seems to me the Bills D had been even better at home than the road.  Haven’t seen the stats. 

If they are better this week than Cincy will have a tough day

I know the game is at home and everyone thinks the Bengals are terrible, and maybe they are, but Cincy has thrown for over 700 yards in 2 games. They have an offense. This game could be a real challenge. 
You don't make the playoffs by beating Miami every week.  If the Bills can't handle a one-dimensional team with a bad defense at home, then they weren't going anywhere anyway.

Cole Beasley is getting no respect in FF. His ceiling is not high, but he's unlikely to get shut down and Allen likes him and is better than last year.
Agree should have a safe 4-40 floor in PPR, with upside for those 7-87-1 games.  He has a lot of leeway with his routes and once Allen and him mesh with their body language on the same page for route breaks I think as the year goes on it gets better.  

So the Bills open as six point dogs, which honestly seems about right.  This team is tremendously improved over last year and is heading in the right direction, but New England and Kansas City are clearly a notch above us IMO.  I said before week 1 that the Jets game was a good litmus test to start the season -- this week will be another good test to see how far we've really come.  I will be pleased with a competitive game.

I hated the way this game was coached on offence after the Bills got out in front. 

I don’t know if they were trying to get different looks on tape, or some other reason, but they got way too cute and almost blew it. 

I am thrilled to see Allen have the stones for another 4th quarter comeback and the defence bent but held at the end. 

So the Bills open as six point dogs, which honestly seems about right.  This team is tremendously improved over last year and is heading in the right direction, but New England and Kansas City are clearly a notch above us IMO.  I said before week 1 that the Jets game was a good litmus test to start the season -- this week will be another good test to see how far we've really come.  I will be pleased with a competitive game.
I'm not really surprised it's at 6, because I can't see Vegas setting an opening line for an undefeated home team at more than a TD, but I can't help but feel like next week is going to be a slaughter.  A lot of momentum, home game, crowd is gonna be wild, and I fully expect Brady to dink and dunk all over the Bills like he always does.  

Honestly, I think this is the best Patriots team in years, perhaps their best ever during this insane run.  They have a legitimate chance to go 19-0.  No use overreacting to a loss, because the Bills could still in theory be one of the AFC's better teams (though I agree that KC is also miles ahead, and perhaps the Ravens too).....but I would be pleasantly surprised if the Bills play a "close" game.  Not just a "Patriots are up 14-17 for the entire second half and the Bills score against a prevent D to cut it to within 7 in garbage time" close game, but an actual back-and-forth affair.

Honestly, if the Bills can get put Brady on his back a half dozen times and make him miserable getting up next Monday morning I'll be happy. Oh, and Allen not to throw up all over himself doing dumb stuff.

Honestly, if the Bills can get put Brady on his back a half dozen times and make him miserable getting up next Monday morning I'll be happy. Oh, and Allen not to throw up all over himself doing dumb stuff.
The Pats have had it too easy the first 3 weeks of the season.

If the Bills come out and make it a competitive game, I think that it'll go a long way to showing the league that this team is for real.

I am worried about covering the short slants and passes to the RBs and TEs. 

It is a weakness for the Bills and a strength of the Pats. NE Oline may be vulnerable with LT out, but a short passing game negates this problem. 

Bills need to sell out to stop this and if Brady beats them with longer passes because they don’t get to him so be it. 

On offence I am curious if the Bills have been waiting to unleash the long passing attack this game. Not sure how they are going to move the ball and deal with confusing looks I would expect the Pats to bring. 

We need all the football gods to have all the breaks go our way. A win here would be so epic, but the Bills are in good shape for wild card even with a loss. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is unpopular, but I can't bring myself to waste mental energy worrying about this week's game.  If we pull an upset, great, but that's so unlikely to happen that I'm not going to lose sleep over it.  What I am actually worried about is the following week at Tennessee.  That's a game we should absolutely win, but it figures to be tough, and it could have tie-breaker consequences later on.  This one is the "Game We Should Win" that I'm least confident about.

Edit: For example, if Singletary has to sit this week, that's fine if it gets him back to 100% for the Titans.

I know this is unpopular, but I can't bring myself to waste mental energy worrying about this week's game.  If we pull an upset, great, but that's so unlikely to happen that I'm not going to lose sleep over it.  What I am actually worried about is the following week at Tennessee.  That's a game we should absolutely win, but it figures to be tough, and it could have tie-breaker consequences later on.  This one is the "Game We Should Win" that I'm least confident about.

Edit: For example, if Singletary has to sit this week, that's fine if it gets him back to 100% for the Titans.
I don't think Mariota has it in him to beat this Bills defense.

It will be on the Bills to not beat themselves through turn overs.

Harrison Phillips tore his ACL and is done for the season. That really sucks as he was playing really well this year. In fact, he had supplanted Star and was earning more and more snaps. He has had probably the most penetration of any DT for the Bills. A real loss.

I'm just posting this here so that I'm on record: I have this odd feeling that something really unexpected is going to happen in this game. No idea if it's a good or bad thing, but just have this odd premonition.

I could be entirely wrong and the game will be a fairly normal game and we can all laugh at how dumb GD is afterwards.

I'm just posting this here so that I'm on record: I have this odd feeling that something really unexpected is going to happen in this game. No idea if it's a good or bad thing, but just have this odd premonition.

I could be entirely wrong and the game will be a fairly normal game and we can all laugh at how dumb GD is afterwards.
Any given Sunday.

It'll be on the Bills to not beat themselves and the Zebras to not gift the Pats the game.

This is called Wednesday during Patriots Week. 

Star, Oliver and Allen are the 3 most important Bills this week IMO. I'm not as worried about Brady beating the Bills as I am Michel beating them. Bills need to contain Michel and get some pressure up the middle. 

And we all know Allen needs to play a full 60 minute solid game with no turnovers. He needs to take what the defense gives him, take losses when he has to instead of making stupid mistakes, and hit his shots when they're there.

On offense Bills need to take advantage of Hightower being out. Could open up some room for Gore to work at the 2nd level and Beasley and Knox to get some run.

This is a big game for us.  We need Allen and Singletary back.
Allen's health is really all I care about from today's game.  The Bills hung with the Patriots much better than I thought they would, and got beaten by a very elite defense.  It happens.  I just hope Allen is able to go next week.

McDermott called out Allen in the post-game presser for not just taking what the defense as giving him. Good. If Allen can’t/won’t make the adjustment and keeps playing hero ball all the time and hurting his team, then the Bills need to seriously consider benching him or start going into the evaluation process to consider whether he is the future or not. He’s exciting and he can do some amazing things, but so far this year he has probably on balance been a net overall negative 

The frustrating thing is that the Bills beat Brady today.  The Patriots offense wasn't the story of the game.  11 first downs is a triumph for the D.  To still be in the game with less than 2 minutes seems like a miracle in itself. A lot of thoughts about what could have happened, but all in all I'm still not too upset with the outcome.  There's a lot to like about this team.  We're on to Tennessee.

McDermott called out Allen in the post-game presser for not just taking what the defense as giving him. Good. If Allen can’t/won’t make the adjustment and keeps playing hero ball all the time and hurting his team, then the Bills need to seriously consider benching him or start going into the evaluation process to consider whether he is the future or not. He’s exciting and he can do some amazing things, but so far this year he has probably on balance been a net overall negative 
I mean, this is a little bit of an overreaction, no?  Allen looked too hyped today, and looked like he was trying to put the team on his back.  He made some poor decisions, and it didn't work.

But he's led multiple 4th quarter comebacks and has made plays that Barkley would never make in a million years.  Don't get me wrong, Barkley is a fine NFL backup, but this season is ride or die with Josh Allen.  Only way they should pull him is if they're really sure he's not the guy, IMO.  I don't need a JP Losman/Kelly Holcomb v2.0 here.

I'm sorry, but this is crazy.  Name the last young QB who looked good against any BB defense, and then reflect on the fact that this is possibly the best defense he's ever had.

I don't doubt that Allen was lost out there today and reverted back to old habits out of confusion, but that's what Belicheck does to everybody.  We lose to both the Bengals and Jets without Alllen.

Edit: The one thing that actually does frustrate me about Allen's game is moping on the sideline.  He needs to grow thicker skin and a shorter memory.

I mean, if I were a New England fan, I would be seriously offended at the lack of respect that a certain segment of Bills fans are giving to their defense.  Their defense is not a joke.  Their defense is better than ours, and we're very proud of our defense.

I mean, if I were a New England fan, I would be seriously offended at the lack of respect that a certain segment of Bills fans are giving to their defense.  Their defense is not a joke.  Their defense is better than ours, and we're very proud of our defense.
I appreciate it.  I think your front 7 may be better.

I watched the video where Allen was concussed(?)....not sure I understand McDermott's irritation as Jones threw his shoulder into a running ball carrier and wasn't aiming for the head.

dirty hit?!

I appreciate it.  I think your front 7 may be better.

I watched the video where Allen was concussed(?)....not sure I understand McDermott's irritation as Jones threw his shoulder into a running ball carrier and wasn't aiming for the head.

dirty hit?!
Yeah, I don't have much of a problem with the hit. Defender is trying to stop him from getting a first down, as he starts to go head first. 

Yeah, I don't have much of a problem with the hit. Defender is trying to stop him from getting a first down, as he starts to go head first. 
As I posted in the game thread, I don't really have a huge problem with it.  I think it was a penalty, but it's a situation that big-hitter defensive players dream about.  It wasn't an egregious Vontaze Burfict-esque cheap shot.  Allen was trying to make a play for a big first down, I don't blame him for it, and I similarly don't blame the Patriots player for cleaning his clock.  I certainly don't mean to make light of concussion safety, CTE, etc., but at the end of the day.....it's football, man. 

IvanKaramazov said:
I'm sorry, but this is crazy.  Name the last young QB who looked good against any BB defense, and then reflect on the fact that this is possibly the best defense he's ever had.

I don't doubt that Allen was lost out there today and reverted back to old habits out of confusion, but that's what Belicheck does to everybody.  We lose to both the Bengals and Jets without Alllen.

Edit: The one thing that actually does frustrate me about Allen's game is moping on the sideline.  He needs to grow thicker skin and a shorter memory.
Maybe a bit is overreaction, but Allen has significant flaws in his game that he simply isn’t improving on and I think there should be concern that some of that is ingrained and may not go away. 

Last week he threw an awful INT and promised that he had learned from it and wouldn’t do it again. Cut to this week and he is chucking awful passes downfield into double coverage and getting picked off, or running the ball in traffic with way too loose of a handle.

And I know that he has a rocket arm and hit a few long passes last year, but his accuracy on long balls is atrocious. He has had open guys deep many many times this season and he has basically hit none of them. He has been WAY off both long and short on those balls and it has probably cost the Bills at least 4-5 TDS this year. That is a significant concern for a QB who often passes up easy open short passes and opts for the hero long balls. I was really frustrated with Daboll during the game for not calling quicker shorter passes to help Allen out, but it’s clear from McDermott’s post game comments that those calls were there and those passes were there and Allen simply wasn’t making them.

Yes, give the Pats lots of credit for game planning well and being a good defense, but the Bills receivers actually had them beat quite often, Allen just couldn’t capitalize.

Maybe a bit is overreaction, but Allen has significant flaws in his game that he simply isn’t improving on and I think there should be concern that some of that is ingrained and may not go away. 

Last week he threw an awful INT and promised that he had learned from it and wouldn’t do it again. Cut to this week and he is chucking awful passes downfield into double coverage and getting picked off, or running the ball in traffic with way too loose of a handle.
I do agree on this point.  He knows not to pull the trigger on some of these passes, because he tells us so in post-game, but he keeps doing it anyway.  

Users who are viewing this thread