What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (2 Viewers)

Sounds like Manuel has been WAY better today (although he apparently completed 60% of his passes in 11 on 11 drills yesterday).

The negative is that it seems as if he's either completing passes for first downs or getting sacked. The O-line just blows right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jay Skurski: EJ Manuel so far in 11 on 11 (unofficial stats): 13-18, 170 yards, three sacks, one drop (Hogan), one throwaway. Solid day for the #Bills QB

Ugh. Tons of screens and checkdowns mixed with horrible downfield throws from Manuel, calling inside runs for Spiller, an INT from Manuel and, oh yeah, looks like a broken rib for Watkins.

This team is maddening. Manuel sucks, but Hackett is maddening, I really just don't get insisting on running Spiller between the tackles. I seriously think Hackett may be mentally disabled.

Wait until the draft Winston as Manuel's replacement and continue the cycle of suck.
I've never really looked at Winston close enough to evaluate pro prospects, but at least he is a very good college player. I never thought watching Manuel that was ever a very good college QB. His decision making just always seemed very suspect.

F this team. Dumpoff after Dumpoff in a preseason game and then not going for it on 4th and 2.5 in opponent's territory in a preseason game. So pathetic.

This coaching staff is either completely incompetent or brilliant motivators. This Chris Hogan over Robert Woods nonsense is beyond dumb. And every time Woods is in the game he makes it clear how stupid it is. He's putting on an absolute clinic right now.

This coaching staff is either completely incompetent or brilliant motivators. This Chris Hogan over Robert Woods nonsense is beyond dumb. And every time Woods is in the game he makes it clear how stupid it is. He's putting on an absolute clinic right now.
Who the hell is Chris Hogan?? I thought Woods was pretty nice last year.

Hogan is "7-11" from Hard Knocks from a few years ago. UDFA a few years ago who has bounced around practice squads before landing on the Bills in 2012. They call him "7-11" because he's always open.

This guy:

Chris Hogan has become the mascot of this year’s Hard Knocks, the charming underdog story that casual fans can latch onto.

The amazing part, however, might be how close the Dolphins rookie wide receiver came to not playing football at all.

According to Hal Habib of the Palm Beach Post, Hogan tossed and turned about his sport of choice coming out of high school, ultimately choosing to play lacrosse at Penn State. He only played one year of football at Monmouth, making him the longest of long shots in camp.

“I’m not going to sit and wonder and think about what-if,” Hogan said. “Obviously, me being in the position I’m in right now, I’d probably say I might go back and play football out of high school.

“But again, you can’t do anything over. . . . It would have been interesting to see where I’d be, too, if I played four years of college football.

“But I got one.”

Now, he’s known as 7-11, the tag the Dolphins hung on him because he’s always open in practice.

That nickname, given to him by Reggie Bush, has gained traction among teammates and opponents alike, as he said Panthers players were taunting him about it last weekend.

But Monday, he said it was still “pretty cool,” to be surrounded by microphones and cameras, enjoying his moment in the spotlight.

“It’s been a ton of fun,” Hogan said. “I’m playing in the NFL and getting to compete with these guys every single day, getting to play in the pre-season games.

“That’s a dream come true right there.”

But for all the attention he’s gotten lately, he’s still not certain to hang around when they start picking the team, which could make his next turn in the HBO spotlight a painful one.

He's had a great camp, but he's a guy that should be a backup WR. But the Bills seem to think he should be starting in the slot over Robert Woods because the Bills are morons.

Hogan is "7-11" from Hard Knocks from a few years ago. UDFA a few years ago who has bounced around practice squads before landing on the Bills in 2012. They call him "7-11" because he's always open.
Imagine how useful that skill would be on a team with an NFL quarterback.

This guy:

Chris Hogan has become the mascot of this year’s Hard Knocks, the charming underdog story that casual fans can latch onto.

The amazing part, however, might be how close the Dolphins rookie wide receiver came to not playing football at all.

According to Hal Habib of the Palm Beach Post, Hogan tossed and turned about his sport of choice coming out of high school, ultimately choosing to play lacrosse at Penn State. He only played one year of football at Monmouth, making him the longest of long shots in camp.

“I’m not going to sit and wonder and think about what-if,” Hogan said. “Obviously, me being in the position I’m in right now, I’d probably say I might go back and play football out of high school.

“But again, you can’t do anything over. . . . It would have been interesting to see where I’d be, too, if I played four years of college football.

“But I got one.”

Now, he’s known as 7-11, the tag the Dolphins hung on him because he’s always open in practice.

That nickname, given to him by Reggie Bush, has gained traction among teammates and opponents alike, as he said Panthers players were taunting him about it last weekend.

But Monday, he said it was still “pretty cool,” to be surrounded by microphones and cameras, enjoying his moment in the spotlight.

“It’s been a ton of fun,” Hogan said. “I’m playing in the NFL and getting to compete with these guys every single day, getting to play in the pre-season games.

“That’s a dream come true right there.”

But for all the attention he’s gotten lately, he’s still not certain to hang around when they start picking the team, which could make his next turn in the HBO spotlight a painful one.
Oh yeah, I remember him. The Bills might start him, huh. That is surprising.

I hate to say this, because I know it really doesn't mean anything, but does anyone else think Marrone just doesn't look like a good head coach? I'm no expert on body language, but he just doesn't seem to carry himself on the sideline as a strong, decisive leader. He often looks clueless, IMO. So does Hackett.

If you look at Schwartz, it's the total opposite. He just looks decisive, sharp, on top of things. We all know what happened in Detroit, but he just looks the part of a true leader so much more than Marrone does, IMO.

I hate to say this, because I know it really doesn't mean anything, but does anyone else think Marrone just doesn't look like a good head coach? I'm no expert on body language, but he just doesn't seem to carry himself on the sideline as a strong, decisive leader. He often looks clueless, IMO. So does Hackett.

If you look at Schwartz, it's the total opposite. He just looks decisive, sharp, on top of things. We all know what happened in Detroit, but he just looks the part of a true leader so much more than Marrone does, IMO.
Until he is trying to fight other coaches, telling the media that he is never scared and fist pumping while his players commit endless penalties. He is way too fiery for me. I'm not sure it is a good thing when the football coach is more hot headed than the players.

It is simply baffling how bad Cyrus Kouandjio is. I don't understand how they can whiff so much on a consensus second-round pick. He is just absolutely terrible. And I'm an Alabama fan saying this.

Is there a chance he doesn't make the team?

It is simply baffling how bad Cyrus Kouandjio is. I don't understand how they can whiff so much on a consensus second-round pick. He is just absolutely terrible. And I'm an Alabama fan saying this.

Is there a chance he doesn't make the team?
If he had been a 6th or 7th round pick I'd say he would be cut. But being a 2nd round pick, he'll get a free year.

It really is amazing how bad he is though. Thank goodness they drafted Henderson as well.

Jay Skurski: EJ Manuel so far in 11 on 11 (unofficial stats): 13-18, 170 yards, three sacks, one drop (Hogan), one throwaway. Solid day for the #Bills QB
No. Did this guy watch the game? EJ looked effing terrible. He's like the second coming of Rob Johnson out there. He still telegraphs his throws, is inaccurate as hell, and takes the check down as soon as his primary receiver isn't WIDE open.

I think he tried one risque throw all night. It was 10-15 yards down field and he tried to muscle it past coverage. Only it was like three feet beyond the receiver's hands.

I know preseason is the time of wild exaggeration and unjustified panic, but I'm beginning to think we have a certified 1st round BUST on our hands.

Yes. Maybe they're realizing how bad they whiffed on Manuel, and since their jobs are chained to his play, the writing is already on the wall. I'd be depressed too if I was Marrone.

One last thing - What the coaches are doing to Robert Woods is awful. He's clearly their best receiver right now, is the only one with any rapport with Manuel, and they've made him second string. WTF. I've heard they plan on starting 3 wide a lot so he'll be a starter for the most part, but still. Every time he's in the game it seems like he makes a great play. We need him on the field on every down.

Yes. Maybe they're realizing how bad they whiffed on Manuel, and since their jobs are chained to his play, the writing is already on the wall. I'd be depressed too if I was Marrone.
I was thinking about this a month or so ago... The real bummer is that I think Pettine is going to be a real good HC.

I was thinking about this a month or so ago... The real bummer is that I think Pettine is going to be a real good HC.
I'm not the biggest Johnny fan, but Pettine's future is tied to a much better QB.

No. Did this guy watch the game? EJ looked effing terrible. He's like the second coming of Rob Johnson out there. He still telegraphs his throws, is inaccurate as hell, and takes the check down as soon as his primary receiver isn't WIDE open.

I think he tried one risque throw all night. It was 10-15 yards down field and he tried to muscle it past coverage. Only it was like three feet beyond the receiver's hands.

I know preseason is the time of wild exaggeration and unjustified panic, but I'm beginning to think we have a certified 1st round BUST on our hands.
Manuel was awful last night, but the post you quoted was from the Thursday joint practice with the Steelers.

Until he is trying to fight other coaches, telling the media that he is never scared and fist pumping while his players commit endless penalties. He is way too fiery for me. I'm not sure it is a good thing when the football coach is more hot headed than the players.
Could be worse.

Could be worse.
I'm fine with that, a coach should be calm and even tempered.

GroveDiesel said:
Ugh. Tons of screens and checkdowns mixed with horrible downfield throws from Manuel, calling inside runs for Spiller, an INT from Manuel and, oh yeah, looks like a broken rib for Watkins.

This team is maddening. Manuel sucks, but Hackett is maddening, I really just don't get insisting on running Spiller between the tackles. I seriously think Hackett may be mentally disabled.
I didn't see the game. How bad was Manuel's interception? Manuel said the Steelers were dropping everyone in coverage, so were the check downs in this instance the right play?

GroveDiesel said:

I didn't see the game. How bad was Manuel's interception? Manuel said the Steelers were dropping everyone in coverage, so were the check downs in this instance the right play?
Just watched it, had it DVR'd. He actually looked decent. Nowhere near as bad as he looked the first 2 games. The interception was a nice defensive play made by Shazier. He's still staring down his receivers though. He literally stares in the direction, then sets his feet, the cocks back and throws. Everyone in the entire stadium knows where he's throwing 3 seconds before he throws it.

I rewatched last night's game today and I don't necessarily blame Manuel for all the short passes. The a steelers really were dropping everyone deep. They left the middle short area wide open over and over. So taking that play and the 4-6 yards it kept giving them was something smart QBs do. He did make 2 really bad intermediate throws that would have both been big first downs though.

The O-line was brutal though. Absolutely awful. Everytime the RBs got stuffed (and it happened a lot) you can see either Legursky or Urbik just standing there after having not blocked anybody. Tons of pressure up the middle on passing downs as well. Both OG spots are going to be a nightmare all year. Pears and Henderson had their share of breakdowns as well.

And for all the love the coaching staff has been giving Hogan, he had a terrible game. He ran the wrong route at least twice and totally whiffed on a couple of blocks that blew up runs to the outside that had chances for nice gains.

I would have liked to see Manuel try to air it out more, but when the defense is dropping 7 guys back into the intermediate to deep passing zones, we'd probably be screaming about how he can't read a defense and was forcing balls into double coverage.

The real problem, IMO, was that they were awful running the ball. They continually were unable to put Manuel in better passing situations by establishing the run and they were unable to even threaten to convert 3rd or 4th and short with the run.

GroveDiesel said:

Manuel should have either put more air under the ball or not thrown it at all, but it was a great play by Shazier as well. I also have to fault Chandler for not doing a bit more to try to knock that ball down. I also thought a chandler did a terrible job shielding the ball and catching it for what should have been a TD on their last play of the first half. (I also think the Steelers got away with an incredibly obvious pass interference the play before where Gay had his hands all over and then wiped out Woods in the endzone)

GroveDiesel said:
Jeff Vader said:

Manuel was awful last night, but the post you quoted was from the Thursday joint practice with the Steelers.
Doh!

Regarding the game, this sums it up perfectly -

And then there's Manuel. The second-year pro claims he's getting better every day, but it's tough to decipher what he's seeing. Manuel had trouble with his throwing accuracy as a rookie, and that problem has not abated this year. Rarely does he put the ball right where it needs to be, and too often his receivers either can't make a play on the ball, or have to turn their bodies or reach above or behind them to make a catch.

Against the Steelers, Manuel completed 17 of 27 passes for 148 yards, but of the 11 completions, seven were caught by running back Fred Jackson for a meager 28 yards, and four went to Chandler for 40 yards, 24 coming on one play when the Bills were in a third-and-27 and the Steelers were in prevent. Manuel threw only two of his 27 passes at least 20 yards downfield - one was incomplete to Robert Woods who caught the ball out of bounds wide of the end zone, and the other was a seam route down the middle to Chandler that Manuel underthrew for an interception.

Cordy Glenn status has me worried. Yes, he passed his physical but still is a ways away from playing. He was their best linemen last season and we really need him to come back to the level he was playing atv last season.

On the bright side, 7th round pick Sentrel Henderson had looked very good so far. He has held his own playing LT with the 1st team. This kid could be the steal of the draft if he keeps his head on straight.

Ideally, Glenn returns to play LT and Henderson wins the RT job. Marrone straight up said Henderson has the talent to play LT. He played RT at Miami so he has experience there. Kouandjio has been disappointing so far but hopefully he shows some improvements in the next couple preseason games
Barring injury to Pears, I doubt we see Henderson make the switch to RT this late in training camp. He's still fairly raw and hasn't played on the right side since he was a sophomore.

Glenn has nearly a month to get his conditioning and form back. That should be plenty of time assuming he's healthy (which he apparently he is now).
Color me surprised... with Glenn back at LT, Pears has been moved to RG and Henderson to RT in tonight's practice. We'll see if this lineup sticks.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/8/18/6040637/buffalo-bills-training-camp-2014-day-16-open-thread

So I've been whining about EJ for a while now, but it's astounding to me that the team didn't at least try to improve the backup QB slot. Are we really rolling with Tuel after his disastrous showings last year? That guy really needs to be out of the league. I think that whoever finishes the year at QB isn't on the roster right now.

So I've been whining about EJ for a while now, but it's astounding to me that the team didn't at least try to improve the backup QB slot. Are we really rolling with Tuel after his disastrous showings last year? That guy really needs to be out of the league. I think that whoever finishes the year at QB isn't on the roster right now.
:shrug:

I didn't think Tuel was "disastrous" last year. Ya, he wasn't good at all when thrown in against Cleveland, but he played a nice game against a solid KC defense. The bigger surprise is how poorly Thad Lewis has played. I don't know if he makes the roster at this point.

Of all the off-season moves (and non-moves), I'm totally fine with the team going into the season with Manuel and Tuel.

I'm still shocked they didn't grab a mid-round QB. There was talent there and it wouldn't have been an immediate threat to EJ.

Just a dumb, dumb lack of a move.

there was no game on August 14th. He was reporting on how well Manuel did in a practice against the Steelers last week.

Cordy Glenn status has me worried. Yes, he passed his physical but still is a ways away from playing. He was their best linemen last season and we really need him to come back to the level he was playing atv last season.

On the bright side, 7th round pick Sentrel Henderson had looked very good so far. He has held his own playing LT with the 1st team. This kid could be the steal of the draft if he keeps his head on straight.

Ideally, Glenn returns to play LT and Henderson wins the RT job. Marrone straight up said Henderson has the talent to play LT. He played RT at Miami so he has experience there. Kouandjio has been disappointing so far but hopefully he shows some improvements in the next couple preseason games
Barring injury to Pears, I doubt we see Henderson make the switch to RT this late in training camp. He's still fairly raw and hasn't played on the right side since he was a sophomore.

Glenn has nearly a month to get his conditioning and form back. That should be plenty of time assuming he's healthy (which he apparently he is now).
Color me surprised... with Glenn back at LT, Pears has been moved to RG and Henderson to RT in tonight's practice. We'll see if this lineup sticks.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/8/18/6040637/buffalo-bills-training-camp-2014-day-16-open-thread
I'm still no Chris Williams fan, but I would absolutely roll with this O-line. Pears's lack of foot speed would be less of a problem at RG bit his bulk would be great for the running game there.

The only thing better would be if Richardson improves enough at some point this year to take over at LG.

Sounds like they're still going to work him in slowly, but saw one tweet that Glenn stoned Hughes all 3 tried on 1-1s. That's fantastic news.

Graham got reps at FS with McKelvin back tonight. Cohen also got rewarded for his play getting to play next to Kyle Williams with Dareus out.

Yep. Ladies & gentlemen it's Year #18 and counting of crappy QB play giving us no chance! Be sure to join us next year as we try to avoid Year #19 without a 1st round pick!

I'm not sure what to make of this. It could go either way, I suppose. That is bring the team together, or drive them apart.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11388146/doug-marrone-upset-buffalo-bills-lack-discipline
Or, more likely, cause them to start tuning out the coach. Marrone has to win this year or he's going to lose the team. The guy just seems like the ultimate hard###. That shtick only works for so long unless you're Tom Coughlin or Bill Parcells and you're rolling into work with Superbowl rings on your fingers.

I'm not sure what to make of this. It could go either way, I suppose. That is bring the team together, or drive them apart.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11388146/doug-marrone-upset-buffalo-bills-lack-discipline
Or, more likely, cause them to start tuning out the coach. Marrone has to win this year or he's going to lose the team. The guy just seems like the ultimate hard###. That shtick only works for so long unless you're Tom Coughlin or Bill Parcells and you're rolling into work with Superbowl rings on your fingers.
Yeah, that's kind of what I meant by the "drive them [the team] apart" - team being players and coaches, not just players.

Wait until the draft Winston as Manuel's replacement and continue the cycle of suck.
With what first round pick do they take him with? Remember that pick was traded away in the Watkins deal. They are committed to Manuel for the next two years at least. Unless of course they sign some big money free agent next off season or use their second rounder next year to take a qb.

He's probably sending a message here but good luck trying to end fighting in training camps. I'm thinking this has a higher chance of being ignored than not. You can't change a locker room culture by publicly dressing the team down. If you want to do that then you bring in different players. Trading Dareus would have been a good first step. That would have gotten everyone's attention real quick. Otherwise it sounds like empty noise pollution.

I hope the Bills aren't actually thinking this drive is a positive at all. It's against the 2nd team defense. It's meaningless.

And then Manuel just runs out of bounds for a loss in the red zone instead of throwing it away. What a moron.

First team offense finally scores a TD. Bit who cares? It's against benchwarmers and guys who will be bagging groceries in a few weeks.

I'm kind of sad because I like Goodwin, but the guy just can't stay healthy. He's injured all the time.

And I mentioned this in the EJ thread, but the offensive line has been awful.

Users who are viewing this thread