What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (2 Viewers)

OC Zed said:
I don't think I've ever been this down before the start of a season. I can only be pleasantly surprised at this point.
I couldn't agree more. What a bummer this preseason has been... But, like you said, it might be nice to go into a season with expectations of border-line disaster, instead of that annoying 'hope'.
I'm here too. Zero expectations going in. Dreading next April as Cleveland uses the #2 and 3 overall picks.

Offensively they showed nothing in preseason it'll be refreshing to see motion, audibles, and a more defined route tree. Now hoping EJ can hit. Sammy needs to play and not be a decoy.

The Bills need to really run the ball hard to be effective offensively until Manuel shows they can lean on him more. Spiller, FJax, and Brown is one hell of a RB corp. Pair them with our massive line and there is no reason to not attack with the run game.

My biggest peeve with Hackett is his hurry up offense. It doesn't make sense for this team. They should just try and control clock with run game and them take some PA shots to Watkins once defense starts loading up box

I'm expecting this to be a temporary thing because of injuries imo. Spiller is way to important to this offense for this to continue for the whole season.

Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
Jeff Vader said:
What do you guys think of Marrone having Spiller return kicks?
I think I like Bryce Brown even more
Maybe further down the road, but Brown likely won't be active on gamedays to start the season. He's currently listed #4 on the depth chart.

Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
Jeff Vader said:
Maybe further down the road, but Brown likely won't be active on gamedays to start the season. He's currently listed #4 on the depth chart.
No way AD stays as the #3 and I think there is a very good chance Spiller or Jackson misses some once again.

Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
Jeff Vader said:
No way AD stays as the #3 and I think there is a very good chance Spiller or Jackson misses some once again.
The injury scenario has some decent probability behind it, but the problem with Brown being active over Dixon is that Dixon plays on special teams. I think they also plan on using Dixon a lot in short yardage situations to the extent FJ is not available.

Well wouldn't know my Bears are plying the Bills in the first game. I hope it adds to the Bills perpetual misery and not ours.

This doesn't look good at anytime let alone on the brink of the season opener.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/05/doug-marrone-and-the-bills-front-office-reportedly-quarreling/

Doug Marrone and the Bills’ front office reportedly quarrelingPosted by Michael David Smith on September 5, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT

Bills coach Doug Marrone is reportedly not seeing eye to eye with the team’s front office.

Marrone got into a loud verbal altercation on the practice field with several team officials, according to Jason La Canfora of CBS.

According to La Canfora, Marrone and director of player personnel Jim Monos got into a profane shouting match, and General Manager Doug Whaley tried to break it up as they cursed at each other. Finally Russ Brandon, who has been in charge of the organization since the late owner Ralph Wilson died, stepped in to stop it. Mike Rodak of ESPN reported last week that Marrone, Whaley, and Brandon were having an animated conversation on the practice field.

The tensions apparently arise from differing opinions of some of the team’s personnel. Offensive tackle Cyrus Kouandjio, receiver Robert Woods and guard Kraig Urbik are all apparently better players in the eyes of the personnel department than in the eyes of the coaching staff.

Buffalo is a unique situation because the team is currently for sale. If the coaching staff and the front office can’t get along, one side is likely to be replaced by the new owner. Of course, if the team doesn’t show improvement this season, it’s likely that the new owner will replace both the coaching staff and the front office. So they’d be wise to work together to get the team turned around.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/05/doug-marrone-and-the-bills-front-office-reportedly-quarreling/

Doug Marrone and the Bills’ front office reportedly quarrelingPosted by Michael David Smith on September 5, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT

Bills coach Doug Marrone is reportedly not seeing eye to eye with the team’s front office.

Marrone got into a loud verbal altercation on the practice field with several team officials, according to Jason La Canfora of CBS.

According to La Canfora, Marrone and director of player personnel Jim Monos got into a profane shouting match, and General Manager Doug Whaley tried to break it up as they cursed at each other. Finally Russ Brandon, who has been in charge of the organization since the late owner Ralph Wilson died, stepped in to stop it. Mike Rodak of ESPN reported last week that Marrone, Whaley, and Brandon were having an animated conversation on the practice field.

The tensions apparently arise from differing opinions of some of the team’s personnel. Offensive tackle Cyrus Kouandjio, receiver Robert Woods and guard Kraig Urbik are all apparently better players in the eyes of the personnel department than in the eyes of the coaching staff.

Buffalo is a unique situation because the team is currently for sale. If the coaching staff and the front office can’t get along, one side is likely to be replaced by the new owner. Of course, if the team doesn’t show improvement this season, it’s likely that the new owner will replace both the coaching staff and the front office. So they’d be wise to work together to get the team turned around.
:popcorn:

receiver Robert Woods ... apparently better players in the eyes of the personnel department than in the eyes of the coaching staff.
This is the only really disturbing part of that article to me. Is this BS in the preseason with Woods running with the backups really a true indication of his status? Until Sammy does something (which I fully expect him to do) Woods is easily the best WR on the team by my eye.

Woods is clearly their best WR and I fear this idiotic coaching staff is hindering his development by sitting him. It's asinine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marrone had a great resume before coming to Buffalo, but the guy just seems absolutely miserable to be around. It sounds like his act is starting to wear thin within the organization and with the media.

I'm starting to wonder who candidates for head coach might be if Marrone is fired by the new owners. However, I can't remember what comes after No-Namer in the Bills' head coach rotation? Is it Underqualified-Coordinator or Old-Fart-That-Never-Did-Anything-Special-To-Begin-With?

I'm starting to wonder who candidates for head coach might be if Marrone is fired by the new owners. However, I can't remember what comes after No-Namer in the Bills' head coach rotation? Is it Underqualified-Coordinator or Old-Fart-That-Never-Did-Anything-Special-To-Begin-With?
They need the Old Fart with the name next. Then they go to the Underqualified Coordinator and follow it with a "fresh" No-Namer.

It's science.

The team will be sold. New ownership will turn over the admin and coaching staff. Bills are gonna be atrocious. Marrone will be gone. Manuel will be as good as dead. Spiller will probably bolt. Bryce Brown will be jettisoned (only because he was brought in by Marrone and this staff). Rebuild around Watkins!

I say they'll hire a new hot college coach. What veteran coach will want to coach in Buffalo?

I'm sick of the Bills blowing the team up and starting from scratch every three years. Personally, I'm pleased that Marrone and EJ and mixing things up by aiming to get everybody ####-canned by midseason this time. Its that kind of fresh, forward-thinking action that we need to see around here.

The team will be sold. New ownership will turn over the admin and coaching staff. Bills are gonna be atrocious. Marrone will be gone. Manuel will be as good as dead. Spiller will probably bolt. Bryce Brown will be jettisoned (only because he was brought in by Marrone and this staff). Rebuild around Watkins!

I say they'll hire a new hot college coach. What veteran coach will want to coach in Buffalo?
In all seriousness, this could have been a pretty decent landing spot with new ownership and high first-round draft pick. Unfortunately, we can only offer a coaching candidate one of those things.

Report: HC Marrone didn't want to sign Orton
3214.jpg

A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that coach Doug Marrone's frustration with the Bills' front office stems from their decision to sign Kyle Orton.
Marrone believes the Orton signing, so close to the season, may "shake E.J. Manuel's already fragile confidence." Marrone's feelings are not without merit, but the front office is trying to maintain job security, and clearly feels Orton was a superior backup option to Jeff Tuel. Although the up-top friction with the Bills can't possibly bode well, Manuel remains their biggest problem.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports
Sep 5 - 3:40 PM

3214.jpg

A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that coach Doug Marrone's frustration with the Bills' front office stems from their decision to sign Kyle Orton.
Marrone believes the Orton signing, so close to the season, may "shake E.J. Manuel's already fragile confidence." Marrone's feelings are not without merit, but the front office is trying to maintain job security, and clearly feels Orton was a superior backup option to Jeff Tuel. Although the up-top friction with the Bills can't possibly bode well, Manuel remains their biggest problem.
I am so tired hearing of the protection of Manuel's psyche. He's an athlete, you compete for your position. If you can't handle competition, which Orton shouldn't even be at this point in his career, then how do you handle on field competition from the opponent?

3214.jpg

I am so tired hearing of the protection of Manuel's psyche. He's an athlete, you compete for your position. If you can't handle competition, which Orton shouldn't even be at this point in his career, then how do you handle on field competition from the opponent?
I agree. You've already lost the war if one of your battles hinges on a QB not being confident in himself.

IvanKaramazov said:
I'm sick of the Bills blowing the team up and starting from scratch every three years. Personally, I'm pleased that Marrone and EJ and mixing things up by aiming to get everybody ####-canned by midseason this time. Its that kind of fresh, forward-thinking action that we need to see around here.
:lmao:

Marrone is brutal. What a miss. New owner needs to pony up some big dough and bring in a top coaching candidate.
We don't even know yet whether he really is a bad coach at this level... we only know that he's an abrasive ####. Parcells and Belichek get away with it because they won... Marrone... well, the jury is still out.

After Week 1 the Bills are 1-0 with a win on the road. And New England is in last place in the division.

Bills only AFCE team to win on the road this week.

Bradham and Gilmore should be back next week. Hopefully Aaron Williams will be ok and be back as well.

The play calling was mostly pretty good today (although it pains me to see those huge linemen keep whiffing on their blocks for those screens) and Manuel looked very competent.

I only caught the first half, but I was impressed with McKelvin again. He may not be a shutdown corner, but he's a playmaker and is a fine #2 CB.

EJ is still frustrating. Is he better than the disaster in preseason? Yes. He looks much like the promising guy from last season. He'll be great and composed in the pocket, and will lead scoring drives. But then he'll cramp up and turn into a checkdown master for entire quarters.

I'm glad the Bills are going to give me false hope again this year. I was a bit worried I wouldn't have a chance to have my heart ripped from my chest again.

I only caught the first half, but I was impressed with McKelvin again. He may not be a shutdown corner, but he's a playmaker and is a fine #2 CB.

EJ is still frustrating. Is he better than the disaster in preseason? Yes. He looks much like the promising guy from last season. He'll be great and composed in the pocket, and will lead scoring drives. But then he'll cramp up and turn into a checkdown master for entire quarters.
McKelvin got beaten badly several times. He was beaten deep once by Jeffrey and got beaten badly for the Marshall TD despite committing interference. They need Gilmore back badly.

McKelvin got beaten badly several times. He was beaten deep once by Jeffrey and got beaten badly for the Marshall TD despite committing interference. They need Gilmore back badly.
Like I said, not a shut down corner, but he can cover the #2 WR of most teams. And that strip of Marshall was a thing of beauty.

Keep in mind too, these are two of the best WRs in the league. Each had like 5 inches of height on McKelvin. And neither Ashton or Marshall had 100 yards.

I'll take that.

Manuel looked alright today. I think we can all say that we were pleasantly surprised. I was particularly happy to see him read through his progressions.

He's going to get his receivers killed though if keeps throwing high over the middle. Man.

Ill try to do this weekly and maybe you guys can as well

3 up:

Robert Woods

EJ Manuel

Schmidt

3 down:

Scott Chandler

Leodis McMelvin

Erik Pears

3 up:

Robert Woods

EJ Manuel

Schmidt

3 down:

Scott Chandler

Leodis McMelvin

Erik Pears
Pears may not be on the roster by the next kick off. He was awful.

I'd put Cordy Glenn in the top 3. I didn't hear Jared Allen's name all day.

3 up:

Robert Woods

EJ Manuel

Schmidt

3 down:

Scott Chandler

Leodis McMelvin

Erik Pears
I'd take Manuel out of the top 3 and put in Graham. Manuel had a nice game and it was a pleasant surprise, but it wasn't franchise-like or anything.

I thought Corey Graham did a great job on some really tough receivers yesterday. He never got beaten deep, he made some excellent open field 1-on-1 tackles on Jeffrey and Marshall and he had the INT. He did a great job stepping in for Gilmore.

If McKelvin has another game like he did yesterday, then I'm prepared to say that his success last year was due to Pettine and that Graham should be starting over him this year.

GroveDiesel said:
If McKelvin has another game like he did yesterday, then I'm prepared to say that his success last year was due to Pettine and that Graham should be starting over him this year.
To be fair, the Bears have the best collective WR talent in the league. None of those guys went over 100 yards on the game. Except for maybe the Broncos in Week 14, the Bills DBs won't have nearly as tough a test as that for the rest of the season.

GroveDiesel said:

3 up:

Robert Woods

EJ Manuel

Schmidt

3 down:

Scott Chandler

Leodis McMelvin

Erik Pears
I thought Corey Graham did a great job on some really tough receivers yesterday. He never got beaten deep, he made some excellent open field 1-on-1 tackles on Jeffrey and Marshall and he had the INT. He did a great job stepping in for Gilmore.
Graham played great yesterday. I thought his play was instrumental to the victory. Our depth at CB this year will be important. Even Robey played pretty well.

As far as my 3 up:

Brandon Spikes - what a difference he makes in the middle

Robert Woods - EJ's security guy. He loves him.

Cordy Glenn - Guy is back in Pro Bowl form after missing so much time.

3 down:

Pears and Williams - I'm gonna clump those two G's into one terrible mess.

Preston Brown - Not ready to start. I felt like he was responsible for a lot of Bennetts and Forte's catches.

Chandler - We need to find a difference maker at TE. He can't really block either.

Users who are viewing this thread