What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (5 Viewers)

humpback said:
GroveDiesel said:
Not to beat a dead horse, but one more article about how Manuel may not have been a reach. At least 4 other teams ranked Manuel as their #1 QB.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000167678/article/draft-notes-ej-manuel-over-geno-smith-not-that-surprising
Can I borrow those glasses for a minute? Just using my eyes, your link doesn't say that at all.
It says 2 other teams had Manuel ranked their #1 QB by far and two other ones had him tied with Smith. And it's possible other teams had him that high as well. One of those 3 did have Barkley ahead of them, so you are right in that it's 3 teams confirmed to have Manuel at the top of their QB board. But the point is that the Bills weren't the only ones that had Manuel as their #1 QB despite many in the media and on here acting like the Bills were crazy to have him ranked their #1 QB.

humpback said:
GroveDiesel said:
Not to beat a dead horse, but one more article about how Manuel may not have been a reach. At least 4 other teams ranked Manuel as their #1 QB.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000167678/article/draft-notes-ej-manuel-over-geno-smith-not-that-surprising
Can I borrow those glasses for a minute? Just using my eyes, your link doesn't say that at all.
It says 2 other teams had Manuel ranked their #1 QB by far and two other ones had him tied with Smith. And it's possible other teams had him that high as well. One of those 3 did have Barkley ahead of them, so you are right in that it's 3 teams confirmed to have Manuel at the top of their QB board.But the point is that the Bills weren't the only ones that had Manuel as their #1 QB despite many in the media and on here acting like the Bills were crazy to have him ranked their #1 QB.
You do realize that it doesn't say that either, don't you?

humpback said:
GroveDiesel said:

It says 2 other teams had Manuel ranked their #1 QB by far and two other ones had him tied with Smith. And it's possible other teams had him that high as well. One of those 3 did have Barkley ahead of them, so you are right in that it's 3 teams confirmed to have Manuel at the top of their QB board.But the point is that the Bills weren't the only ones that had Manuel as their #1 QB despite many in the media and on here acting like the Bills were crazy to have him ranked their #1 QB.
The fact that he specifically stipulates that the 4th team had Barkley ahead of both Manuel and Smith infers nobody was above Manuel and Smith for the other three teams he talked about. From other tweets by Beer, that's certainly the case.

humpback said:
GroveDiesel said:

The fact that he specifically stipulates that the 4th team had Barkley ahead of both Manuel and Smith infers nobody was above Manuel and Smith for the other three teams he talked about. From other tweets by Beer, that's certainly the case.
Or, the fact that he didn't stipulate that they had Manuel as their #1 QB infers that they did not. I'm not even saying that's the case, but it's the same leap you're making. I won't comment on the other tweets by Breer because you haven't linked them and didn't mention them until now, but you are just plain making stuff up about some of what that article says.

Buddy Nix has stepped down and now will serve as a Special Assistant. Not officially announced, but Doug Whaley will now officially take over a GM.

Everyone knew this was coming, but the timing is a slight surprise to me since Nix had seemed pretty adamant very recently that he was sticking around as GM for a while. Wonder if it was 100% his decision.

Everyone knew this was coming, but the timing is a slight surprise to me since Nix had seemed pretty adamant very recently that he was sticking around as GM for a while. Wonder if it was 100% his decision.
it's very strange given this comment:

Three weeks ago, Buffalo Bills President Russ Brandon said "Buddy Nix is our general manager and will be for a long time."
but not really much of a surprise. Glad it happened though. Hopefully Whaley comes through.

it's very strange given this comment:
Three weeks ago, Buffalo Bills President Russ Brandon said "Buddy Nix is our general manager and will be for a long time."
but not really much of a surprise. Glad it happened though. Hopefully Whaley comes through.
Yup. My guess is that this draft was Whaley's draft given what we currently know. Nix stayed on board to assist and to take the heat if Manuel doesn't work, but with the large departure in drafting style, I think Whaley probably controlled most of this past draft. I do like the youth movement in the front office and coaching staff in general though. The NFL is a demanding business. 70 and 80 year olds just simply can't truly keep up.

i was suprised by the pick i just do not think manual is going to be all the hot i sort of wish they owuld have got gino because one i like gino and think he will be a good qb and two i am sad that gino went to the jets because frankly it seems everyone who goes there they find a way to ruin them it is just a bad scene up there right now but hey i like the bills actually and hope that they do well but i am not holding my breath but also but i hope that I am wrong take that to the snowbank buffalo brohans

Nix's drafts were nothing to write home about. I always thought of him as a glorified chief scout who was given the keys to the family car because of his relationship with Ralph. As far as I'm concerned, this is addition by subtraction.

Nix's drafts were nothing to write home about. I always thought of him as a glorified chief scout who was given the keys to the family car because of his relationship with Ralph. As far as I'm concerned, this is addition by subtraction.
Spiller, Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn, Hairston, to a lesser extent Carrington, Bradham, Graham. Mario signing. Got a franchise QB this year along with at least one stand out WR and solid if not spectacular addition to the front 7. As far as I'm concerned you listen to the media too much.

Spiller, Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn, Hairston, to a lesser extent Carrington, Bradham, Graham. Mario signing. Got a franchise QB this year along with at least one stand out WR and solid if not spectacular addition to the front 7. As far as I'm concerned you listen to the media too much.
I agree. The team still has a ways to go, but I've been very happy with the direction they've been going the past 3 years. I think they have quite a bit of talent and Gailey and Fitzpatrick were pretty key hindrances.

I agree. The team still has a ways to go, but I've been very happy with the direction they've been going the past 3 years. I think they have quite a bit of talent and Gailey and Fitzpatrick were pretty key hindrances.
Wouldn't both of those hindrances be on Nix?

2010 other than Spiller added nothing to the team. 2011 gave us Dareus with the 3rd overall pick but after that was very hit (Hairston) but mostly miss (Williams, Shepperd, Searcy). 2012 looked better with Gilmore and Glenn but trading up for Graham was stupid when we did it and we basically spent another third rounder this year to get basically the same player. The jury is obviously out on 2013. Like I said overall nothing to write home about. Some hits but a lot more misses.

Nix deserves criticism for taking Troup over Gronk and not addressing QB sooner. The Gailey hire also didn't really work out but that was mainly because he couldn't find someone competent to run the defense.

He made some good moves too of course. I thought he had a good eye for talent but like most older guys he seemed a bit stubborn and shortsighted at times.

2010 other than Spiller added nothing to the team. 2011 gave us Dareus with the 3rd overall pick but after that was very hit (Hairston) but mostly miss (Williams, Shepperd, Searcy). 2012 looked better with Gilmore and Glenn but trading up for Graham was stupid when we did it and we basically spent another third rounder this year to get basically the same player. The jury is obviously out on 2013. Like I said overall nothing to write home about. Some hits but a lot more misses.
I think the jury is still out on Williams and Searcy. Searcy is an OK safety and Williams actually has the talent to be a very good safety. He was miscast as a corner. He was actually a very highly rated safety prospect.

Wouldn't both of those hindrances be on Nix?
Most likely. I'm not saying he was perfect, but I think he had more hits (and "Jury's out's") than misses.

Is Fitz really a hindrance? Or just a stop gap until they found a guy they wanted to be "THE" guy. They paid him to be a starter not a star.

Is Fitz really a hindrance? Or just a stop gap until they found a guy they wanted to be "THE" guy. They paid him to be a starter not a star.
Of course he was a hindrance. They paid him way more than stop gap money, they're taking a big cap hit to cut him, and they ignored the QB position in last year's draft when the class was much, much better.

They gave him starter money, period. The cap hit is not hurting them whether you think so or not. They still have space and IIRC Fitz will be off the books next year. As for last season you realise that Luck and RG3 were not options for them right? They only guy you can even argue about in last years draft really is Wilson, and Nix is on record saying that he thought the guy could play but he wants a tall QB. So this season he got a player who fit his and the NFL prototype, big guy, big arm, athletic.

They gave him starter money, period. The cap hit is not hurting them whether you think so or not. They still have space and IIRC Fitz will be off the books next year. As for last season you realise that Luck and RG3 were not options for them right? They only guy you can even argue about in last years draft really is Wilson, and Nix is on record saying that he thought the guy could play but he wants a tall QB. So this season he got a player who fit his and the NFL prototype, big guy, big arm, athletic.
He got something like $24 mil for two bleh years. They spread out the cap hit, so he's still going to count $7 mil against next years cap. You realize there were other QBs in last year's draft, right? You could also argue that they should have been looking for a QB the year before. Are you really trying to argue that they passed on Wilson only because of his height? Forget about the fact that Fitz and Jackson aren't exactly giants, what about the rest of the draft class?

They clearly didn't pursue a QB because they thought Fitz was their guy. I certainly consider overpaying for a mediocre (at best) QB, bypassing all other options, and dealing with a cap hit for 2 seasons after his release to be a hindrance.

12 million is starter money for a QB in the NFL. I've yet to see that they spread out a 10 million cap hit where the 2nd year is 7 million. I still don't think it will effect the Bills considering this team rarely if ever has issues of being up against the cap.

You argued they should have taken a QB last season when the draft class was sooo strong. Nix is on record of not drafting Wilson because of height, thats not me, thats Buddy Nix. Other than him the Bills had no shot at Luck,RG3, Tannehill. If you exclude Wilson, of the QBs that were left when they picked first, I'll take EJ over them every day and twice on Sunday.

Also, Fitz (6'2") is not a small guy like the 5'10" Wilson.

JayJay328 said:
12 million is starter money for a QB in the NFL. I've yet to see that they spread out a 10 million cap hit where the 2nd year is 7 million. I still don't think it will effect the Bills considering this team rarely if ever has issues of being up against the cap.

You argued they should have taken a QB last season when the draft class was sooo strong. Nix is on record of not drafting Wilson because of height, thats not me, thats Buddy Nix. Other than him the Bills had no shot at Luck,RG3, Tannehill. If you exclude Wilson, of the QBs that were left when they picked first, I'll take EJ over them every day and twice on Sunday.

Also, Fitz (6'2") is not a small guy like the 5'10" Wilson.
It isn't stop gap starter money- see Kolb's contract for a good example of that. http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130312/SPORTS/130319741/1004]This article backs up the cap ramifications which I've seen elsewhere:

In releasing him, the Bills deferred some of the cap hit they will take by giving him a “post-June 1” designation. He will count $3 million against this year’s salary cap and $7 million against the Bills’ salary cap in 2014. Those numbers account for amortized bonus money Fitzpatrick has received.
I suppose you can argue that it won't impact them if you want, but it sure seems like they think it will- if they didn't they wouldn't have spread it out like that.

I haven't seen where Nix is on record saying the only reason they passed on Wilson was because of his height (and I wouldn't believe him even if he did say that), but again, why didn't they draft any other taller QBs later in the draft then? They certainly didn't pass on Osweiler, Foles, and Cousins because of height. Why did they pass on Kaepernick and Dalton in the 2nd, or Mallet in the 3rd, the year before? Again, wasn't because of height. You said he wants a "tall" QB, and I suppose it's possible he's had a change of heart, but none of the QBs he brought in before EJ (Fitzpatrick, Jackson, Thigpen or Kolb) are considered "tall" by NFL standards.

In any event, it's pretty clear that they thought Fitzpatrick was their QB of the future- you don't give a 6 year deal with $24 mil guaranteed (during the middle of a season no less) to a stop gap guy. They paid him a lot of money, are still dealing with some cap effects of it, passed on several other available QBs, and went 12-20 over the last two seasons. I'm not saying it's franchise-crippling by any stretch, but I'd certainly consider that to be a hindrance. At least they are admitting their mistake and moving on.

The problem wasn't that they decided to pay Fitz NFL starter money. By the numbers, Fitz was an average to below average nfl QB. He's actually a lot better on third down conversions than a good chunk of higher paid qb's. The problem was that they put themselves in a position where it was Fitz or bust and they gave themselves no other back up options or any young developmental options for the last two years. Thigpen was an absolute joke that wasted a roster spot. Same for Brad Smith even though they might have liked his versatility. The truth about Smith was that he's not a good enough passer to be a true back up QB and Gailey wasn't committed enough to the Wildcat to effectively get the best out of Smith. Vince young was a pretty poor backup plan and it was pretty obvious that Gailey never trusted Jackson either. The team had zero other options so when Fitz did suck, Gailey was never going to go with anyone else and Fitz was pretty much hung out to dry in certain games. We all knew that he was limited but he is also very smart and he knew the offense better than anyone outside Gailey.

The problem wasn't that they decided to pay Fitz NFL starter money. By the numbers, Fitz was an average to below average nfl QB. He's actually a lot better on third down conversions than a good chunk of higher paid qb's. The problem was that they put themselves in a position where it was Fitz or bust and they gave themselves no other back up options or any young developmental options for the last two years. Thigpen was an absolute joke that wasted a roster spot. Same for Brad Smith even though they might have liked his versatility. The truth about Smith was that he's not a good enough passer to be a true back up QB and Gailey wasn't committed enough to the Wildcat to effectively get the best out of Smith. Vince young was a pretty poor backup plan and it was pretty obvious that Gailey never trusted Jackson either. The team had zero other options so when Fitz did suck, Gailey was never going to go with anyone else and Fitz was pretty much hung out to dry in certain games. We all knew that he was limited but he is also very smart and he knew the offense better than anyone outside Gailey.
This is where I am. I don't think the extension for Fitzpatrick was crazy. It was perhaps a bit early in the season and should have waited until after the season, but I understood the thought process. The Bills had beaten the Patriots for the first time in years and years, they were the hottest offense in the NFL and looked like they were headed to the playoffs and Fitzpatrick's contract was up at the end of the year. They figured the upside of Fitz was that he had figured things out, would remain a top 10 QB, lead an elite offense and be a playoff contender for years. The downside would be Fitz would revert to the middle of the road QB with some major flaws. So they paid him like a slightly above average QB. The risk of not offering him the contract then was that Fitz kept playing like a top 5 QB, the Bills finally made the playoffs and suddenly they're faced with either giving him a much bigger contract or losing him outright. Neither of those options were all that appealing.Where Nix really screwed the pooch was in bringing on total retreads with essentially no upside rather than draft some potential QBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I believe that was absolutely done intentionally because Fitz was Gailey's guy and they didn't want to ruffle his feathers or create even an appearance of a QB controversy. And I don't want to hear this garbage about how the Bills wouldn't have drafted Wilson due to his height. I heard plenty of times last year that the Bills had actually liked Wilson and were extremely impressed when they interviewed him. In the 3rd round you don't worry about a QB's height anymore if you liked everything else about him. That's ridiculous. I also heard plenty of times that Buffalo wanted big receivers and yet who did they take in the 3rd round last year? Clearly height wasn't an issue then.

Wish I could link to the WGR 550 interview before the Seattle game with Nix. Clearly said they liked the kid but didn't think he would succeed because of his height. Was admitting he was wrong. Ah well.

I'm happy with the direction of the team right now and feel a big part of that is due to Nix. Argue if you like about how they shoulda took Kaepernick or Wilson or Dalton and I'll sit here thinking yep, you're the same type who was screaming for Clausen/McCoy in 2010 or Gabbert/Locker in 2011. Hindsight is 20/20 right? He found a QB he wanted and his record in the 1st round is solid. I'm feeling pretty confident about Manuel regardless of what all the "experts" say, you know, the guys who had Nassib and Barkley rated as 1st rounders but in the end the NFL teams had as 4th round talents.

Let's go Buffalo!

I do like that the Bills have gone from having the average age of the top 3 positions in the organization average about 80+ years old to all being in their 40s. I think with the long hours the NFL requires, youth will serve them better than the geriatrics that have been in charge.

I also heard this interview, he flat out said the Bills and many teams took him off their board because height.

Wish I could link to the WGR 550 interview before the Seattle game with Nix. Clearly said they liked the kid but didn't think he would succeed because of his height. Was admitting he was wrong. Ah well.

I'm happy with the direction of the team right now and feel a big part of that is due to Nix. Argue if you like about how they shoulda took Kaepernick or Wilson or Dalton and I'll sit here thinking yep, you're the same type who was screaming for Clausen/McCoy in 2010 or Gabbert/Locker in 2011. Hindsight is 20/20 right? He found a QB he wanted and his record in the 1st round is solid. I'm feeling pretty confident about Manuel regardless of what all the "experts" say, you know, the guys who had Nassib and Barkley rated as 1st rounders but in the end the NFL teams had as 4th round talents.

Let's go Buffalo!

I also heard this interview, he flat out said the Bills and many teams took him off their board because height.

Let's go Buffalo!
What's the deal with people completely making things up?

http://www.wgr550.com/Bills-GM-Nix-talks-drafting-a-QB-yet-again/15038823]Here's the interview, you can listen to the whole thing or the piece about Wilson that begins around 15:30. The gist of it is:

If he shades away from drafting quarterbacks with less than stellar measurables, like Seattle QB Russell Wilson:

"You know, I know people that have done that, Howard. I mean, Bill Parcells, if the measurables weren't there -- height, weight and speed -- they weren't on the board. You can't do that I don't think, and Bill's been very successful and that's his way of doing it, but I firmly believe that winners come in all sizes. I think Russell Wilson was one. We knew that when we spent a lot of time with Russell. He was on our radar, but we felt like we had to have a speed receiver. They took him in the third. That was a little high for us as far as our needs."

Wasn't made up that's not the interview either he was on many platforms thought the day morning show, afternoon and night with Murph. He passed because of height every Bills fan knows this he again said it this past year to make himself look good.

Silly

Does it actually matter at this point why Nix passed on Wilson? Whatever his reasons were, they were wrong. Manuel could be a good NFL QB, but Wilson has already proven he is one.

Wasn't made up that's not the interview either he was on many platforms thought the day morning show, afternoon and night with Murph. He passed because of height every Bills fan knows this he again said it this past year to make himself look good.Silly
Well, JayJay said WGR and before the Seattle game, which is the interview I linked. You know, the one where he said he wished he could link because Nix said a bunch of things that it turns out he absolutely did not say? Are you now claiming he gave other interviews the very same day where he said the exact opposite of what he said in that one?

Listen to it, he specifically said you can't pass on guys because of measurables, he mentioned how he worked with Doug Flutie for several years, and how he's not surprised he's doing so well but they passed on him because of need. If everyone knows it was because of height and he's said it multiple times, it should be pretty easy to provide links, right?

No, it really doesn't matter why he passed on Wilson, or any of the other QBs. Height would be a dumb reason even if it were true. The fact that it's not just makes Bills fans who are spreading this nonsense look completely delusional.

Let's say I remembered it wrong. It doesn't change much. The Wilson discussion started when talking about Fitz being a hindrance and you thought Nix should have addressed the QB position in last seasons draft when the QB class was so strong. Go ahead and add Wilson to all the QBs you think they should have taken last season. Other than Wilson I think you would have a very difficult time proving the team would be better off by picking that player last year over waiting a year. Oh, then you start bringing in the years before when they should take Kaepermick or which ever players have been successful so far. All the while ignoring the QBs who have done very little to nothing or have fallen flat on their face earlier in their respective careers. I stand by my statement that Fitz was a stop gap. But that's because I beleive in Nix and the current regime. Their record with 1st round picks over the last 3 years is solid at the very least. Spiller is a game changer that was not an obvious choice at all with Lynch/Jackson already on the roster. Dareus has shown he is a force in the trenches and Gilmore as a rook followed #1 WRs around and did very well, with improvement he looks to be a shutdown corner. Bring up later rounds all you want but bad teams don't get better if they miss with their round 1 picks. Have to find some gems no doubt, I'll point to the starting tackles for fun.

Here is a big **IF**, if Manuel becomes the franchise QB he 100% has the potential to become how can you possibly call Fitz a hindrance when his place on the team in fact lead to the Bills waiting on QB until this year when they drafted him. I have a lot of hopes for this kid and the potential things he will do for this team. If/when it comes to be, we will all look back at Fitz and say "STOP GAP" before the EJ era began.

ETA: The only one who is delusional is the guy who can tell us all he "knew" which QB to draft after those players break out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's say I remembered it wrong. It doesn't change much. The Wilson discussion started when talking about Fitz being a hindrance and you thought Nix should have addressed the QB position in last seasons draft when the QB class was so strong. Go ahead and add Wilson to all the QBs you think they should have taken last season. Other than Wilson I think you would have a very difficult time proving the team would be better off by picking that player last year over waiting a year. Oh, then you start bringing in the years before when they should take Kaepermick or which ever players have been successful so far. All the while ignoring the QBs who have done very little to nothing or have fallen flat on their face earlier in their respective careers. I stand by my statement that Fitz was a stop gap. But that's because I beleive in Nix and the current regime. Their record with 1st round picks over the last 3 years is solid at the very least. Spiller is a game changer that was not an obvious choice at all with Lynch/Jackson already on the roster. Dareus has shown he is a force in the trenches and Gilmore as a rook followed #1 WRs around and did very well, with improvement he looks to be a shutdown corner. Bring up later rounds all you want but bad teams don't get better if they miss with their round 1 picks. Have to find some gems no doubt, I'll point to the starting tackles for fun. Here is a big **IF**, if Manuel becomes the franchise QB he 100% has the potential to become how can you possibly call Fitz a hindrance when his place on the team in fact lead to the Bills waiting on QB until this year when they drafted him. I have a lot of hopes for this kid and the potential things he will do for this team. If/when it comes to be, we will all look back at Fitz and say "STOP GAP" before the EJ era began.ETA: The only one who is delusional is the guy who can tell us all he "knew" which QB to draft after those players break out!
:lmao:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/77349/should-bills-worry-about-mario-williams

Should Bills worry about Mario Williams?
By James Walker | ESPN.com

There is some disturbing news coming out of Buffalo this weekend, where suicidal text messages from star defensive end Mario Williams were released by his ex-fiancée. Williams is currently in a legal battle over an engagement ring worth more than $780,000, and new details emerged that Williams allegedly had "dramatic mood swings” last year during their engagement.

"No money in the world should leave me with suicidal thoughts," Williams said in the text to his ex last November.

In another text Williams said, “I need to go back n my shell. There's no telling what Ill do to myself at this point. I'm sry Ill disappear from now on."

Should the Bills be concerned about Williams?

Buffalo invested $100 million in Williams and made him the highest-paid player in franchise history. He had an up and down first season with the Bills in 2012 but still led the team with 10.5 sacks. Williams dealt with a nagging wrist injury and apparently wasn’t in the best frame of mind at times last season due to issues in his personal life.

Lawsuits can get ugly when it involves former lovers, and it appears this is one where no punches will be pulled. Williams recently wrote a Twitter message ensuring everyone that he is fine.

"I'm still here and always will be," Williams tweeted. "I'm too strong for ridicule and the childish extremes those will do to try and taint a person’s name when in reality you make me stronger, hungrier and more determined."

The best thing Williams can do at this point is prove that he's ready to move on with his life. A big year on the football field in 2013 can certainly help in his recovery while also boosting Buffalo’s stock. That would be a win-win for Williams and the Bills.

This is a tough thing for Williams to go through, especially when details of his personal life are being released to the public. Maybe the Bills should have a brief talk with him just to make sure everything is kosher.The Bills are heavily counting on Williams this year, and he needs to be sound physically and mentally.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/77294/bills-rookies-can-turn-around-misfortune

Bills' rookies can turn around misfortune

By James Walker | ESPN.com

Longtime readers of the AFC East blog know I detest grading drafts before rookies play their first NFL game. But there is nothing wrong with examining potential.

The “P” word is exactly what I see when I look at the Buffalo Bills‘ 2013 draft. I see a potential franchise quarterback in first-round pick EJ Manuel. I see potentially two or three good NFL receivers in second-round pick Robert Woods, third-round pick Marquise Goodwin and talented rookie free agent Da’Rick Rogers. I also see an aggressive, potential starting linebacker in Kiko Alonso.

The Bills haven’t tasted the playoffs since the Music City Miracle in the 1999 season. For the past 13 years, the Bills and their fans have been sent home packing after Week 17. They’ve had just one winning season since 2000.

Potentially, Buffalo’s rookie class could lay the foundation for ending the NFL’s longest playoff drought.

“Down the road I think the strength of this draft is going to be in the second round,” ESPN NFL draft analyst Kevin Weidl said. “I really like the Woods pick. I liked him on tape a lot. I think Robert Woods is really one of the more underrated players in this draft. ... Alonso is a guy who is an intense football player and a guy who makes a lot of plays. He flies around the field with sideline-to-sideline range, I thought.”

However, Manuel is the centerpiece of this group. The Bills shocked a lot of people by making him the first quarterback off the board with the No. 16 overall pick. ESPN draft expert Todd McShay was among the biggest critics, calling it a mistake and a wasted pick. Most agreed Buffalo took Manuel earlier than it needed to.

However, the Bills fell in love with Manuel’s size, accuracy and athleticism. The rookie has a lot of tools to work with and will compete with veterans Kevin Kolb and Tarvaris Jackson for the starting job in training camp. Manuel can silence his critics by winning the job this year and playing well.

I caught up with Manuel and Goodwin at this week's NFLPA Rookie Premiere event in Los Angeles, which taught first-year players on the business of football and promoted giving back to the community. Count Goodwin among those who believe Manuel will develop into a franchise quarterback with the Bills.

“If I can describe him in one word, he’s A1,” Goodwin said. “He’s one of the best quarterbacks I’ve been surrounded by, and he’s an even better person. He’s my roommate right now, and I’ve definitely got to know him on a personal level. It’s been great. I text him every day. I talk to him every day. So it’s been great.”

Weidl says Manuel has a lot of physical tools to succeed but still plenty to learn.

“The wild card in this mix is EJ Manuel, and the focus of this draft class will always be EJ Manuel,” Weidl said. “Manuel, when you look at him, he’s everything you want in a quarterback in terms of physically. He’s got size, above average arm strength, he’s got mobility, and when you see how he carries himself, he’s a true professional.

“But the questions I had is on the field off his tape. He wasn’t always naturally accurate and he forces his receivers to adjust at times. And when the bullets are flying, especially under pressure, he didn’t always show the poise I’d like to see at quarterback. He didn’t always get deep in his progressions.”

The Bills have struggled in recent years making big plays in the passing game. Former starting quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick did not have the arm strength to successfully throw deep, and Buffalo lacked big-play receivers.

Enter rookies Woods, Goodwin and Rogers, who all have big-play capability to go with Manuel’s size and arm strength. If Manuel can grow over the next couple of years with his athletic and talented rookie receivers, the Bills could have a dangerous passing offense to go with dynamic running back C.J. Spiller.

“They are great receivers who run great routes,” Manuel said. “The best thing about Robert is he always wins [one-on-one battles]. Marquise, a lot of people talk about his speed, but he runs good routes too.”

New Bills general manager Doug Whaley told the AFC East blog this week that he’s excited about his rookie class — and for good reason. But the team also took on some character risks.

Alonso, Rogers and safety Duke Williams, who will compete for a starting role, all had off-field issues in college. Alonso had multiple alcohol-related incidents while at Oregon and also was arrested for burglary and criminal mischief in 2011. Rogers’ long list of issues include an arrest, a suspension and a failed drug test that resulted in him being kicked out of the University of Tennessee. Williams was suspended three times at the University of Nevada for various incidents. He reportedly got into a fight with a teammate in 2010, which led to one suspension. He also was arrested for theft in 2009.

The Bills said they examined those players’ backgrounds and believe their issues are behind them. That remains to be seen. Buffalo was willing to add good talent in exchange for character concerns.

The Bills also could have their kicker of the future in sixth-round pick Dustin Hopkins, who was a teammate of Manuel at Florida State and set the NCAA record for points scored. Hopkins will compete with longtime kicker Rian Lindell, who is 36 and entering his 15th season. According to Weidl, Hopkins is a good kicking prospect who has a chance to unseat the veteran.

If everything falls into place, the Bills could have a franchise quarterback, a starting linebacker, at least two contributing receivers and a kicker from one draft class. Rarely does everything go according to plan in the NFL, but the Bills appear to have more hits than misses in this draft, which was not always the case for this struggling franchise.

The Bills will not erase 13 years of losing overnight. But in the near future, we may look back at this 2013 draft class as the tipping point for when Buffalo finally started changing its losing ways.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...whaley-an-integral-part-of-drafting-ej-manuel

New Bills GM Doug Whaley 'an integral part' of drafting EJ Manuel
By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

The timing of Buddy Nix stepping down as general manager of the Bills was a bit odd, given how he walked away right after completing the 2013 NFL Draft. But it also makes sense, as the selection of EJ Manuel, should it not work out, could be pinned on Nix.

Or not: New general manager Doug Whaley said Thursday he was "an integral part" when it came to selecting the Florida State quarterback in the first round of the draft.

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

Whaley was known by most around the league as next man up in Buffalo; his ascension to the GM position was hardly a surprise. And, given that, it makes sense Whaley would have had plenty of input into the pick. It's just surprising that he's owning it the way he is, even if he did make sure to point out that it was a decision made by a group of people inside the organization.

"We have a philosophy that the information makes the decision," Whaley explained. "We think that we did enough due diligence and the information pointed us all to this point that EJ would be the guy we feel will take the Buffalo Bills into the future."

It really does all hinge on Manuel. As I noted earlier in ranking the potentially productive rookies from a high-impact standpoint, the Bills are loaded with talent at the skill positions.

If the Florida State product turns out to be the player the Bills hope he is, then they'll be in good shape in Buffalo. Either way Whaley's now directly attached to his rookie quarterback for the long haul.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...rone-has-spoken-privately-with-mario-williams

Doug Marrone has spoken privately with Mario Williams
By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

On the heels of a rocky offseason for Mario Williams, the Buffalo Bills are taking a serious approach to the defensive end's off-field problems.

Coach Doug Marrone told reporters Monday that he's spoken with Williams, but "the organization will not comment on personal issues," saying "my conversations with him are private," according to the team's official site.

Details emerged last week that Williams allegedly sent disturbing texts to his ex-fiancée, Erin Marzouki, after the two broke off their engagement. Williams has filed a Houston lawsuit to win back the $785,000 engagement ring he gave Marzouki, who countered with a three-page chronicle of emotionally distraught texts from the two-time Pro Bowler.

"I took 3 hydrocodones this morning and no one knows," Williams allegedly wrote Marzouki. "I'm going to take 2 more on the plane and fade away ... No money in the world should leave me with suicidal thoughts."

Marrone confirmed the team is looking into the matter.

Williams inked a six-year, $96 million contract with $50 million in guarantees in March 2012. His 10½ sacks last season were his most since 2008, but he wasn't himself for much of the season while battling wrist issues.

Williams said this month he plans to be "all over the place" on the field in 2013, but before that happens, the Bills want to make sure he's in one piece off it.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9...lls-system-easier-learn-florida-state-offense

EJ Manuel loves Bills' offense
ESPN.com news services

Buffalo Bills quarterback EJ Manuel said Sunday in a radio interview from the NFLPA Rookie Premiere in Los Angeles that he is quickly picking up the team's offense, which he said is less complex than the system he used at Florida State.

"The funny thing is it's easier to learn than the offense I had at Florida State," he told SiriusXM NFL Radio. "It's a true West Coast-type progression offense. That's really what I wanted when I was coming through the pre-draft process. I wanted something that I could just go in and say 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, check it down and run it. That's it, it's that simple. I love it."

He said he spent extensive time during the Bills' rookie minicamp and organized team activities working with offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett.

"I've done great. The learning curve for me is a lot shorter simply because of what I had at Florida State. [The Seminoles' offense is] more complex and a little bit harder to catch on and learn. This offense is very simple. I've done a great job with it," he said in the interview.

The Bills made the 6-foot-5, 240-pound Manuel the only quarterback taken in the first round of the 2013 draft. Coach Doug Marrone has already announced that Manuel will spend the offseason competing for the starting job with Kevin Kolb, a six-year veteran whom the Bills signed in free agency last month, and returning backup Tarvaris Jackson.

Manuel said Sunday he has quickly bonded with the other offensive skill-position players the Bills drafted in April. In addition to Manuel, Buffalo selected receivers Robert Woods (USC), Marquise Goodwin (Texas) and tight end Chris Gragg (Arkansas).

Manuel said Gragg was his roommate during the Bills' rookie minicamp.

"I think the biggest thing is we all come from winning programs. We're used to winning, we're used to preparing to win," Manuel said in the interview.

He said the rookie class now must translate that winning atmosphere to the Bills, a team that has not finished with a winning record since 2004, and has not made the playoffs in 13 years -- the NFL's longest active drought.

"Winning is an attitude and mindset, and we have to bring it to our team," he said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Read that Woods had another excellent day at OTAs. This kid is a lock to be an opening day starter as long as he is healthy. Very excited to have a legit #2.

IMO, that takes a lot of pressure off of some of the other WRs with big upside. Guys like Rogers, Graham and Goodwin can be package guys that don't have to do it all for now. They can keep developing while Stevie and Woods give them a dangerous core duo that will free up single coverage opportunities all over the place and a lot of mismatches.

Read that Woods had another excellent day at OTAs. This kid is a lock to be an opening day starter as long as he is healthy. Very excited to have a legit #2.IMO, that takes a lot of pressure off of some of the other WRs with big upside. Guys like Rogers, Graham and Goodwin can be package guys that don't have to do it all for now. They can keep developing while Stevie and Woods give them a dangerous core duo that will free up single coverage opportunities all over the place and a lot of mismatches.
Did he really have any competition to beat out for the WR2?

Read that Woods had another excellent day at OTAs. This kid is a lock to be an opening day starter as long as he is healthy. Very excited to have a legit #2.IMO, that takes a lot of pressure off of some of the other WRs with big upside. Guys like Rogers, Graham and Goodwin can be package guys that don't have to do it all for now. They can keep developing while Stevie and Woods give them a dangerous core duo that will free up single coverage opportunities all over the place and a lot of mismatches.
Did he really have any competition to beat out for the WR2?
Probably not. But I don't think it's just a matter of not having anyone to beat out. He looks like he's going to be a good player that significantly improves the offense. He's not a default #2 WR, he's going to be a very good #2 WR. With his tools, he could be better than Stevie Johnson is now in a few years.

This is great news and pretty unbelievable:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Chandler-on-fast-track-in-return-from-ACL/9aa6ab91-3110-4138-9532-53ddff8a32c9

Scott Chandler is already running routes and catching passes. From all signs, he'll be ready to go 100% by training camp. That's great news since he was not only their 2nd best receiver last year, but by far their best option at TE currently. It does sound like Gragg looked pretty good running with the 1s today though in OTAs. So hopefully he can help solidify a unit that currently has zero depth.

This is great news and pretty unbelievable:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Chandler-on-fast-track-in-return-from-ACL/9aa6ab91-3110-4138-9532-53ddff8a32c9

Scott Chandler is already running routes and catching passes. From all signs, he'll be ready to go 100% by training camp. That's great news since he was not only their 2nd best receiver last year, but by far their best option at TE currently. It does sound like Gragg looked pretty good running with the 1s today though in OTAs. So hopefully he can help solidify a unit that currently has zero depth.
Great news, though I really hope Gragg ends up being a better player than Chandler.

If Geno or Barkley are there in the 2nd, I think the Bills have to take a shot at one of them. In fact, if they could do it for a 4th or less, I'd like to see them jump into the bottom of the 1st if Geno is still there somehow. I don't think either is really worthy of a top 10 pick, but they both have the potential to be above average QBs. I think there is enough potential for both of them to be worth a 2nd or a 2nd and 4th. I don't think anyone else is worth it. Nassib in the 3rd maybe.I'm absolutely convinced they need to go OLB/DE in the 1st though. Jarvis Jones or Dion Jordan would be great picks IMO.Nmandi is most likely being released by the Eagles. I think he still has the ability to be a good CB. Wouldn't mind throwing $4-5M a year at him if they could get him for that.
As terrible as a senior season that Barkley had, there's no way he gets past the bottom of the first round. Chris Effing Ponder was a mid-first round pick. Barkley shows too much "promise" as a pro QB. Geno won't make it out of the first 15 picks either. I know it's almost cliche to suggest it, but their most realistic bet is to nab Nassib or a similar talent in the 2nd round.
ooof.

Peter King is baffling. He regularly reports excellent insider info about the NFL, but then makes the most glaring idiotic errors too. Take this gem. He reveals why the Bills passed on resigning Levitre for big money, but then...

-- Tennessee guard Andy Levitre, slow to rebound from 2012 arthroscopic knee surgery, to The Tennessean, about being held out of spring drills with the Titans. I always wondered why it was such a no-doubt decision by Buffalo to not re-sign Levitre when his contract expired last winter -- and then the Bills picked a guard with their first-round choice. Maybe his long-term health had something to do with it.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130603/colin-kaepernick-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/#ixzz2V9Jtq7O3
Oh really? A guard with their first round pick?

Peter King is baffling. He regularly reports excellent insider info about the NFL, but then makes the most glaring idiotic errors too. Take this gem. He reveals why the Bills passed on resigning Levitre for big money, but then...

-- Tennessee guard Andy Levitre, slow to rebound from 2012 arthroscopic knee surgery, to The Tennessean, about being held out of spring drills with the Titans. I always wondered why it was such a no-doubt decision by Buffalo to not re-sign Levitre when his contract expired last winter -- and then the Bills picked a guard with their first-round choice. Maybe his long-term health had something to do with it.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130603/colin-kaepernick-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/#ixzz2V9Jtq7O3
Oh really? A guard with their first round pick?
Well, King is a buffoon. But it certainly makes me feel better about not giving Levitre a huge contract knowing that is sounds as if he may have continuing knee problems. Levitre is a good tactician, but his health may have been his biggest asset. If he has knee problems that linger, he could quickly devolve to a downright bad guard.

Users who are viewing this thread