What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (4 Viewers)

I hope the Beane and McDermott know what they're doing at CB.  I'm surprised that we haven't drafted one, but these guys do seem to understand the position.

Yeah I figured they'd take a depth CB somewhere, but not really a big deal that they didn't.  There's generally not a ton of difference between a 4+ rounder and a UDFA, so I try to take these later picks with a grain of salt.

I hope the Beane and McDermott know what they're doing at CB.  I'm surprised that we haven't drafted one, but these guys do seem to understand the position.
I think they are fine platooning Levi Wallace, Norman and Gaines and get CB2 production. Can draft CB2 next year if need be.  Plus who knows if they find a gem with the 7th rounder or the few UDFAs that we already grabbed. 

UDFAs:

Reggie Gilliam/TE/Toledo
Josh Thomas/DB/App. State
Ike Brown/CB/FIU
Antonio Williams/RB/North Carolina
Brandon Walton/OT/FAU
Garrett Taylor/S/Penn State
Marquel Harrell/OT/Auburn

I like this draft.  Honestly, I've liked all of Beane's drafts.  Pretty much every pick seems logical and you can understand exactly what Beane was thinking when he made it.  It seems like every single draft under Whaley, Nix, and especially Levy had at least one or two head-scratchers, and those have pretty much all gone away under Beane.  It's a lot easier to trust your front office when their picks have an obvious strategy behind them, even if you might disagree with the strategy itself sometimes.  

Our first three picks -- Diggs, Epenesa, and Moss -- all addressed clear areas of need, and all three of those guys should contribute right off the bat.  Especially Diggs of course.  Aside from those picks, everybody else seems to fall into the "developmental guy to provide competition at the position" category, but that's exactly what this team needs.  Guys like Duke Williams and Robert Foster should have to fight like hell to make this team.  PK is a position where we really do need to upgrade.  I'm not convinced that Fromm is really the answer for QB2, but I'm pretty convinced that Barkley is not. 

It's very early and who knows what even happens with training camp this year, but right now I think it's very unlikely that Robert Foster is on our roster this season.  If he makes the team, it will be on ST.  This is a guy who was our leading receiver two years ago.  This team has come a long way.  Two years ago we had a garbage-tier roster, especially on offense, with lots of guys starting for us who frankly had no business on an NFL roster let alone actually taking real snaps.  Now our roster is to the point where this is legitimately a difficult team to make at most positions.        

It’s crazy how much changes in a year. NFLDraftScout (Matt Miller) did a post-2019 draft mock draft for 2020 last year on BleacherReport. 3 of the players he projected in the first round ended up in the Bills this year (Epenesa, Fromm, and reportedly Tre Adams). He actually had Epenesa and Fromm going 3rd and 4th overall in the draft.

Crazy how much can change in a year. Bills took Epenesa in the 2nd, Fromm in the 5th, and reportedly signed Tre Adams as an UDFA.

ETA: Found another one. This one had all 3 of those guys going in the top 20.

ETA 2: Man, going back looking at a whole bunch of these and virtually all 3 of these guys were projected in the 1st round last year.  Of course Joe Burrows wasn’t in a single mock and we see how that played out.

If nothing else, I think it’s an indicator of some  talent with these guys. They’re guys who have shown some significant production and some elite skills. It seems likely that their measurables (and his significant injury issues for Adams) probably had a significant impact on where they were drafted. 

It will certainly be interesting to see, especially with Epenesa and Fromm, how much of their production and football ability can translate to the NFL despite limitations in physical measurables.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like a shift in draft philosophy from more raw-athletic guys (Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds, Ed Oliver) to less althletic and more polished NFL-ready guys with weaker athletic profiles (like Epenesa and Moss).  Might be because the Bills are in more of a win-now mode, or could just be a result of their first pick being towards the end of the 2nd round.

Seems like a shift in draft philosophy from more raw-athletic guys (Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds, Ed Oliver) to less althletic and more polished NFL-ready guys with weaker athletic profiles (like Epenesa and Moss).  Might be because the Bills are in more of a win-now mode, or could just be a result of their first pick being towards the end of the 2nd round.
I’m not so sure about that. No question the Bills have drafted great athletes in the first round each year (add Tre White to that mix), but they’ve drafted plenty of other less athletic guys after the first round:

Harrison Phillips

Taron Johnson

Siran Neal

Cody Ford

Devin Singletary

Dawson Knox

I don’t think any of those guys tested as top athletes, but they all have pretty much held their own or even shown to be pretty good players with potential for more.

It’s often said that the best teams win in the mid to late rounds. The Bills look to have done a pretty darn good job in 2018 and 2019 at that. Here’s hoping they hit again this year on those same types of guys.

Jets at Bills reportedly for Week 1. 3rd time in 4 years the Jets and Bills will play Week 1. That’s getting kind of old. Although Buffalo’s schedule is pretty brutal next year, and not overlooking the Jets because I expect them to be better, but they may be one of the easier teams on the schedule.

Reports of multiple prime time games for the Bills this year.

Bills and Steelers on SNF for week 14 confirmed by multiple sources already. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if Bills/Patriots and/or Bills/Titans end up prime time as well.

4 prime time games with a shot at a 5th. Most of them at the end of the season. Bills getting some love and respect.

Figures it happens in a season that may not happen.

VS. NEW YORK (AFC) - W
AT MIAMI - W
VS. LOS ANGELES (NFC) - L
AT LAS VEGAS - W
AT TENNESSEE - L
VS. KANSAS CITY - L
AT NEW YORK (AFC) - L
VS. NEW ENGLAND - W
VS. SEATTLE - L
AT ARIZONA - W
VS. LOS ANGELES (AFC) - W
AT SAN FRANCISCO - L
VS. PITTSBURGH - L
AT DENVER - W
AT NEW ENGLAND - L
VS. MIAMI - W

8-8?

Looking at the schedule now, it doesn't look as bad as when I looked at it back when it was released. I recall thinking it was brutal (Both SB teams, NE, several other playoff teams) and that it looked like a 6 or 7 win season.

I think the two key points of the season could be the two pairs of back to back away games. (@LV, @Ten and @Den, @NE) I feel like those games could all go either way pretty easily. If they happen to lose both of the first two it could really set back the season. And the last two will likely determine if they make the playoffs. They might need to win both to get in.

Also, I kind of wish the KC game wasn't in prime time. I feel like that will be an embarrassment.

There's such a thing as illegal firearms in Texas?  :confused:
It’s a misdemeanor to commit any crime while in possession of a firearm. So basically it was legal right up until he committed the DWI.

ETA: this also voids his guaranteed money if the Bills were to choose to cut him before the end of his rookie deal for some reason (won’t happen).

It’s a misdemeanor to commit any crime while in possession of a firearm. So basically it was legal right up until he committed the DWI.

ETA: this also voids his guaranteed money if the Bills were to choose to cut him before the end of his rookie deal for some reason (won’t happen).
I would be disappointed beyond words if our FO even considered the possibility of analyzing whether to think about cutting Oliver over something as minor as this.

I would be disappointed beyond words if our FO even considered the possibility of analyzing whether to think about cutting Oliver over something as minor as this.
I certainly wouldn’t expect them to, just pointing it out. It would take something pretty drastic and repeated behavior/suspensions for them to go down that road I would think.

As it is, he is looking at a mandatory minimum 2 game suspension from the league.

New Bills QB Jake Fromm apologized Thursday after racist text messages he sent in 2019 were posted to social media. 

"Just make them very expensive so only elite white people can get them haha," were Fromm's words to a friend about guns. He scrambled to apologize. "I am extremely sorry that I chose to use the words 'elite white person' in a text message conversation," Fromm said. "Although I never meant to imply that I am an 'elite white person,' as later stated in the conversation, there's no excuse for that word choice and sentiment." There is not. Fromm should have been released, but it appears the Bills will stand by him. He apologized to the team in a Thursday meeting, and DC Leslie Frazier took him at his word. "Jake seemed very sincere in his apology. We have a very strong culture on our team. Those guys are going to be able to sift through what is real and what isn't real." Fromm isn't going to get a third chance. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Jun 4, 2020, 3:50 PM ET

Mr. Peterson said:
Pegulas are starting to make me nervous.  
Is this the Beane/McDermott thing?  These guys are going to cost peanuts compared to some of the player extensions on the horizon -- I'm not too worried.

Was nice to be the favorites in the division for a few fleeting minutes.
I still think they’re the division favorites and the significantly more talented team—at least on paper

Patriots are slightly better at OL and in the secondary. Bills have a significantly better defensive line, linebackers, runningbacks and recieving corps.

QB could go in a lot of different ways

That doesn’t mean they will win the division but they still have no excuses not to

Charges against Ed Oliver dropped. Turns out he blew a 0.000 and the blood work came back showing nothing in his system. How in the world did they charge him with DWI when he was totally clean? I’m not saying it was the color of his skin, but sure seems like it was the color of his skin...

I’m less and less convinced that this season will actually happen, but I have to say that it sounds like Buffalo is doing as good of a job as they can trying to keep players safe.

They were extra cautious in sending all rookies home when a couple tested positive. They have daily screening questions that each player much answer in a cellphone app before coming in each day. Everything they do is setup to provide social distancing including eating outdoors widely spaced. And everyone in the buildings is wearing a tracking device in their wrist that turns red and alerts any individuals who are closer than 6 feet to each other. I think the trackers also track data so that if someone has a positive test, they can track everyone they were in proximity to.

I don’t know that the Pegulas are good owners, but I do know that they seem to have the right people in place in the Bills organization.

Dawkins extended: apparently 4 years, $60M.  That's a little higher than I would ideally like, but we would pay more in free agency if we had to find a new LT.

Dawkins extended: apparently 4 years, $60M.  That's a little higher than I would ideally like, but we would pay more in free agency if we had to find a new LT.
Yeah, it’s a lot of money, but it still only makes him the 5th highest paid LT which isn’t too bad. He definitely is a very good LT and a dude that seems good for the team as a whole. Good O-linemen are getting harder and harder to find in a league where offense is more and more important. So probably a good job of locking him up for 4 more years.

Bills agree to an extension with Tre White making him the highest paid CB in the league. Gonna be a lot of $$$. I don’t know if paying a CB that kind of money is how you build a long term contender, but if you’re gonna pay a CB big money, he’s a good one to pay. Great player, smart dude, lots of fun (goalie academy!!)

He should use some of the contract to run an actual goalie academy. 

Would be hilarious if he doubled down again on that. 

No problems with the Tre White contract.

Anyone have any thoughts on the cuts?

QB: Davis Webb
RB: Antonio Williams, Christian Wade
WR: Andre Roberts, Duke Williams, Robert Foster
TE: Nate Becker, Jason Croom
OL: Evan Boehm, Trey Adams, Marquel Harrell, Victor Salako, Brandon Walton
DE: Bryan Cox Jr., Mike Love
DT: Justin Zimmer, Tanzel Smart, Vincent Taylor
LB: Vosean Joseph, Andre Smith, Corey Thompson
DB: Brian Allen, Dane Jackson, Cam Lewis, Dean Marlowe, Josh Thomas

The WRs are the only thing that stood out to me. The top 4 (including Gabriel) were obvious locks, but I figured Williams or Foster would make it. Who's going to be returning kicks?

No problems with the Tre White contract.

Anyone have any thoughts on the cuts?

QB: Davis Webb
RB: Antonio Williams, Christian Wade
WR: Andre Roberts, Duke Williams, Robert Foster
TE: Nate Becker, Jason Croom
OL: Evan Boehm, Trey Adams, Marquel Harrell, Victor Salako, Brandon Walton
DE: Bryan Cox Jr., Mike Love
DT: Justin Zimmer, Tanzel Smart, Vincent Taylor
LB: Vosean Joseph, Andre Smith, Corey Thompson
DB: Brian Allen, Dane Jackson, Cam Lewis, Dean Marlowe, Josh Thomas

The WRs are the only thing that stood out to me. The top 4 (including Gabriel) were obvious locks, but I figured Williams or Foster would make it. Who's going to be returning kicks?
Andre Smith and Dean Marlow are both being re-added to the 53 tomorrow. The rules for this year allow players to be put on a 3 week IR for any injury even if it’s not Covid related. So Feliciano and one of Brian Winters/Levi Wallace/Mario Addison will be put on the 3+ week IR and Smith and Marlow will re-sign.

I’m kinda surprised Webb got cut before Fromm.  All reports were that Webb looked ok-ish and Fromm looked horrible. Couple that with Fromm’s past and I’m surprised they made that decision. 

Also surprised they kept Murphy and Phillips and cut Boehm, Cox Jr and Love. Guessing Cox and Love get added to the practice squad. I think Murphy was really redundant and his salary could have been rolled into next year’s cap where it’s really needed. 

I'm glad they kept Fromm and Hodgins.  I know neither had a particularly good camp, but this was a weird year for rookies and it's too early to give up on either guy.  Fromm in particular would not have cleared waivers.  Regardless, I'm a lot more worried about our QB2 than our QB3 -- I wish we had been able to upgrade over Barkley.  

Marlow's release was actually pretty shocking to me because he seems like he's been a good, high-quality depth guy.  Of course if they re-sign him, that's great.

Torn on Murphy.  He's overpaid and we could use the cap next year, but this is definitely a win-now year and Murphy does make the overall roster better by being a part of it.  No complaints about keeping him, but I wouldn't have complained if he had been cut.  A little surprised to see Love go, but we knew we would have to make a few cuts like that this year.

Edit: A better way to explain the Jake Fromm situation is that I'm not at all invested in Jake Fromm, but I'm very invested in the strategy of regularly spending a 4th/5th round pick on a passer until we have a solid backup.

So what are we thinking about this season?  I'm not a big fan of all of the hype surrounding the Bills; I still think New England will be very good, and Miami will continue to progress.  Who knows about the Jets.

I'm gonna say that the Bills put together a season similar to last year, tougher schedule, finish 9-7 and a Wild Card, Patriots win the division.  Allen is mostly fine, doesn't take a Trubisky-esque step back, per se, but doesn't really take that big leap forward that we're hoping for.   Diggs keeps it together and is for the most part a non-issue re: him not getting the ball enough in this offense.  The defense is still really good.  Go on the road to some AFC team in the playoffs and lose a close one, just like last year.  And we're back in a similar offseason pattern next year where the pieces are there, just asking ourselves if it'll click with Allen.

So what are we thinking about this season?  I'm not a big fan of all of the hype surrounding the Bills; I still think New England will be very good, and Miami will continue to progress.  Who knows about the Jets.

I'm gonna say that the Bills put together a season similar to last year, tougher schedule, finish 9-7 and a Wild Card, Patriots win the division.  Allen is mostly fine, doesn't take a Trubisky-esque step back, per se, but doesn't really take that big leap forward that we're hoping for.   Diggs keeps it together and is for the most part a non-issue re: him not getting the ball enough in this offense.  The defense is still really good.  Go on the road to some AFC team in the playoffs and lose a close one, just like last year.  And we're back in a similar offseason pattern next year where the pieces are there, just asking ourselves if it'll click with Allen.
If the Patriots win the division, it will be Bill’s best coaching job yet. IMO, they’re worse at every position except for DB this year. I think that Cam is athletically superior to Brady, but IMO Brady’s greatest talent is being able to take absolute garbage at WR and make it serviceable with his pinpoint accuracy, insane ability to read defenses and amazing clutch play. Brady took an awful offense last year and made it good enough to complement their great defense. 

Not that you can totally simplify it this way, but if you stretch that out to 5 years it would be 87.5 million. Seems like a steal compared to the 105 mil Ramsey just got.
Yup. And White is not only better than Ramsey IMO, he’s a better teammate and locker room guy by a mile. I know he “set the market” for all of a few days, but White’s deal just seemed really reasonable to me and will look like a bargain in just 2 or 3 years.

I'm going to predict 10-6 this year.  The whole AFC East plays a much tougher schedule than last year, and 10 wins might or might not be enough for a division title.

Game by game:

1. NYJ: W
  2. @MIA: W
  3. LAR: W
  4. @LV: W
  5. @TEN: L
  6. KC: L
  7. @NYJ: W
  8. NE: W
  9. SEA: L
  10. @ARI: W
  11. (BYE)
  12. LAC: W
  13. @SF: L
  14. PIT: L
  15. @DEN: W
  16. @NE: L
  17. MIA: W
I expect that we're in for a looooong six weeks after the bye.  That's going to be a nerve-wracking slate of games.  

Users who are viewing this thread