What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (1 Viewer)

I gotta figure out a way to get a box of Josh’s Jaqs to stick next to my unopened box of Flutie Flakes. And, no, I don’t know why I decided to keep an unopened box of Flutie Flakes and am not sure why I need a box of Josh’s Jaqs either but here we are.

Week 1 thoughts - 

A win's a win, especially against a division opponent.  Thought Allen had a very good game, those two fumbles were worrisome but they consistently moved the ball and he had nearly 72% completion %.  Held onto the ball a little too long in the pocket at times but was able to escape for the most part - not sure if that was him failing to read the defense or just good coverage from the Jets.  Pass protection was mostly superb.  Seemed like Allen had a nice rapport with all 3 of the main receivers.

Run game was a giant question mark, but the Jets were #2 in the league against the run last year so let's hope it was a bit of a fluke.  I don't think the Bills will be successful in the long-term having Allen throw it 46 times a game and running it as much as he did today.  I'm surprised they didn't try to establish Singletary more, but he never got into much of a groove.

Aside from the Crowder play, it's tough to find much fault with the defense today.  They didn't rack up the sacks but they were in the Jets backfield all day on pass plays.  I liked that they attacked Becton all day; he might be a great one in the future, but right now he's still a rookie.  Run defense was solid, though with it may have been different if Bell was healthy.  LB injuries are a concern - nothing against AJ Klein and Tyler Matakevich, but that's a pretty big drop-off from Milano/Edmunds if they're both hurt.  And last point - did Tre White give up a single reception today?  I barely saw him out there....which means he was shutting down whoever he was covering.

The only comment I have on the special teams is that I hope those missed FGs were a fluke.  I'm not sure the first one was a miss, but it looked like it may have messed with his head on the second one.  I'm not calling for them to kick a highly-touted draft pick to the curb after one game, but let's hope that these misses don't become a habit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta figure out a way to get a box of Josh’s Jaqs to stick next to my unopened box of Flutie Flakes. And, no, I don’t know why I decided to keep an unopened box of Flutie Flakes and am not sure why I need a box of Josh’s Jaqs either but here we are.
my best friend made me feel like a weirdo for keeping one and guilt tripped/peer pressured me into throwing it out. probably for the best in the long run. #feelsbadman.

This seriously sucks.  Besides Tre, these are the two guys who we can least afford to lose on defense, both because they're very good and because we're razor-thin at the position.  

Gonna need to lean on the offense this week . . .
This is exactly what Buffalo’s goal was this offseason. They know that to consistently win in the NFL you need to be able to win with your offense. They’ve made the effort to put the pieces in place to do that and seem to have the willingness to open up the offense. So now it’s put up or shut up time. 

This is exactly what Buffalo’s goal was this offseason. They know that to consistently win in the NFL you need to be able to win with your offense. They’ve made the effort to put the pieces in place to do that and seem to have the willingness to open up the offense. So now it’s put up or shut up time. 
I know you know this, but I fully agree.  This team was built for this sort of situation.  It would be different if we were playing KC or Baltimore, but this team is supposed to be able to handle a team like Miami even if we're missing a few pieces on defense.  

IvanKaramazov said:
This seriously sucks.  Besides Tre, these are the two guys who we can least afford to lose on defense, both because they're very good and because we're razor-thin at the position.  

Gonna need to lean on the offense this week . . .
Makes you wonder if Mike Gesicki might be in for a big game this week.  I'm not sure who will be his assignment in coverage now.  Klein or Dodson?  Maybe Siran Neal or Taron Johnson?

Makes you wonder if Mike Gesicki might be in for a big game this week.  I'm not sure who will be his assignment in coverage now.  Klein or Dodson?  Maybe Siran Neal or Taron Johnson?
I don’t think Johnson could match up against Gesicki’s size. Neal would probably be the better option and the Bills may need to shade Poyer that way as well.

Thoughts on Singletary/Moss from you Bills lifers?  How did each look week 1? 
Moss was the better pass blocker but Singletary was clearly the better runner in Week 1. Really seemed like the Bills are going to use them both though. From their usage last week, they may view Moss as their goal line back.

I think Buffalo is going to switch up their offense based on matchup and that will heavily dictate usage each week. The Dolphins are a quicker defense but not very stout up the middle, so Moss may see a good bit of work this week.

Yesterday was the first time in years, probably since Flutie to be honest, that when Miami went ahead late I wasn't worried that the game was over. What is this feeling I'm feeling? 

It's going to be a real interesting game this weekend. It'll be totally different from the Miami game. No more dropping back and waiting in the pocket for the for the long crosses to develop. Going to have to be a lot more quick passes, runs, and Allen using his legs to get out from the pressure up the middle. I can't wait. Is it Sunday yet?

It's going to be a real interesting game this weekend. It'll be totally different from the Miami game. No more dropping back and waiting in the pocket for the for the long crosses to develop. Going to have to be a lot more quick passes, runs, and Allen using his legs to get out from the pressure up the middle. I can't wait. Is it Sunday yet?
I've been pumping the brakes on the Bills and Allen praise because I've been waiting to see the Bills face a real contender.  The Rams are looking legit, and the rest of the schedule is shaping up to be very difficult.  The entire NFC West looks formidable, the Chiefs and Raiders are solid, New England twice, and the AFC inter-division games are Pittsburgh and Tennessee.  Mix in a few lucky bounces here-and-there and the Bills could realistically win or lose any of these games (and the rest of the schedule as well).  This is not last year's schedule.  We're about to find out what the Bills are made of.

Steve Tasker said:
I've been pumping the brakes on the Bills and Allen praise because I've been waiting to see the Bills face a real contender.  The Rams are looking legit, and the rest of the schedule is shaping up to be very difficult.  The entire NFC West looks formidable, the Chiefs and Raiders are solid, New England twice, and the AFC inter-division games are Pittsburgh and Tennessee.  Mix in a few lucky bounces here-and-there and the Bills could realistically win or lose any of these games (and the rest of the schedule as well).  This is not last year's schedule.  We're about to find out what the Bills are made of.
Agreed. If you take the Jets out of the equation, their next 10 opponents are 17-3 and all 3 losses are to other teams within that group. That’s a pretty serious murderer’s row.

The TEs they face coming up over the next month are Higbee, Waller, Jonnu Smith and Herndon. They need Edmunds and Milano back badly.

If you take the Jets out of the equation
Excellence was mentioned. We have to leave the building. :lmao: Take my wife. Please.

What I came into post, even though I don't have him on one team of mine: Stefon Diggs looks great. Reception Perception and PFF had him rated so highly, and it's nice to see a technician who instead of being a squeaky wheel for the sake of being squeaky, actually actively and rightfully wanted out of Minnesota's offense that's stuck somewhere last century.

Both Edmunds and Milano are playing this week. If they are both 100%, that’s fantastic as they desperately need them as part of their defense. On the other hand, if either of them aren’t 100%, it would really suck if they exacerbated an injury and was out even longer.

Got a really tough 5-6 weeks ahead. A win today would be a great start and really confirm the Bills as a team to be reckoned with.

Well, I don't love the way it happened, but the Rams are a pretty freakin good team and the Bills pulled it out.

I'm seeing a lot of the classic Allen bias, talking about him almost throwing the game away, but to be honest, gimme a break.  Guy throws for 300+, 4 TDs, runs for 1, converts multiple long down-and-distances on the last drive for yet another 4th quarter comeback, and people still trying to knock this guy down.  The attempted lateral to McKenzie was kinda stupid, okay.  Yes he fumbled once but he was getting obliterated by Aaron Donald; I'm gonna give Donald the credit for that one because he's an incredible player and any QB in the NFL would've fumbled that.  

This was a great game between two teams who are playing like two of the best teams in the NFL.

Well, I don't love the way it happened, but the Rams are a pretty freakin good team and the Bills pulled it out.

I'm seeing a lot of the classic Allen bias, talking about him almost throwing the game away, but to be honest, gimme a break.  Guy throws for 300+, 4 TDs, runs for 1, converts multiple long down-and-distances on the last drive for yet another 4th quarter comeback, and people still trying to knock this guy down.  The attempted lateral to McKenzie was kinda stupid, okay.  Yes he fumbled once but he was getting obliterated by Aaron Donald; I'm gonna give Donald the credit for that one because he's an incredible player and any QB in the NFL would've fumbled that.  

This was a great game between two teams who are playing like two of the best teams in the NFL.
Good take.  Allen looked like he was going to go haywire on a few plays late, similar to the end of the wild card game last year, but like you said, Aaron Donald was wreaking havoc all over the place and many lesser man would have crumbled.  Allen obviously isn't going to keep throwing 4 TD's every week, but if he can keep playing well, this team had enough weapons and is well-coached enough to where they will be a tough out in January. 

On a trivia-related note, does anybody know the last time we gave up 32+ points and won?  That has to be some kind of modern record for this franchise given the relative quality of offense vs. defense we've endured over the past decade and then some.

Found it!  Week 2 2011 we beat Oakland 38-35, and followed it up by beating New England 34-31 in week 3.  That was Fitzmagic . . . 

Terrible call. Complete gift. 
To play devils advocate, the pass they called an INT was also a terrible call.... that was the momentum swing that got the rams going.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but still, #### happens and I don't think the ticky tack PI call should put the W in the "complete gift" category.

I thought the PI/hold was a ticky-tack call that shouldn't have been made at that point of the game.  The Bills have had that sort of call go against them over and over and over during my adult lifetime.  They had a worse call go against them earlier in this game, and had a similar ticky-tack call on that final drive.  Not feeling the slightest bit bad about this win, aside from the lingering issues with the defense playing horribly.

Not to mention that on the play that Allen fumbled, Donald briefly grabbed Allen's facemask before he yanked him around by the jersey.  So not only would the Rams not have gotten the ball near midfield, the Bills would've gotten the 15 yard penalty.  So both Bills turnovers shouldn't have happened but did due to officials' errors, which more than makes up for the call at the end.

My #1 takeaway from this game is that we absolutely cannot afford for Allen to miss any significant time.  He's our offense, and we don't have a defense that can carry us for a week or two like we used to.  It was a cliche in the offseason to say that this team will go as far as Allen can take us, but after four weeks that seems to be very literally true.

Leader for MVP so far. 
I think Wilson is still slightly ahead of him, but man it’s crazy that Josh Allen is almost certainly #2 (though Aaron Rodgers may have a claim too).

Pretty wild that through a quarter of the season, one of Lamar Jackson or Patrick Mahomes would/should miss out in the Pro Bowl in favor of Allen.

Over the last 15 games, Allen has 36 total TDs and just 3 INTs. So while the yards weren’t necessarily there, he has been darn good for almost a season’s worth of games now.

Fun year so far for us long suffering Bills fans. They’re so fun to watch and easy to root for. Now if only the defense can get right...

Josh Allen doesn't get the love from the media that the others do (I suspect many are still non-believers who think he is just having a hot start), so he will have to outproduce Wilson and Mahomes by a wide distance to have a realistic shot at the MVP. 

Josh Allen doesn't get the love from the media that the others do (I suspect many are still non-believers who think he is just having a hot start), so he will have to outproduce Wilson and Mahomes by a wide distance to have a realistic shot at the MVP. 
I mean, are there any Bills fans in here that don’t harbor at least some fear that Allen will suddenly crash back to earth and look erratic and NOT a franchise QB? We’ve all seen a few promising guys string together several good games, get our hopes up, and then get gutted (2011 Ryan Fitzpatrick anyone?).

I’m enjoying 2020 Josh Allen, I’m defending him, I’m hopeful that he’s as good as he looks, but I’ve spent decades with hope being ripped away in the cruelest ways. So while I’m enjoying the ride, I’m not going to totally count my chickens before they hatch.

GroveDiesel said:
I mean, are there any Bills fans in here that don’t harbor at least some fear that Allen will suddenly crash back to earth and look erratic and NOT a franchise QB? We’ve all seen a few promising guys string together several good games, get our hopes up, and then get gutted (2011 Ryan Fitzpatrick anyone?).

I’m enjoying 2020 Josh Allen, I’m defending him, I’m hopeful that he’s as good as he looks, but I’ve spent decades with hope being ripped away in the cruelest ways. So while I’m enjoying the ride, I’m not going to totally count my chickens before they hatch.
I agree with the sentiment and I definitely think we should pump the breaks on the MVP talk -- let's at least get to midseason first.

That said, we all knew that guys like Fitz, Trent Edwards, Tyrod, etc. were placeholders or at best replacement level players.  By way of contrast, Allen was very highly regarded coming into the draft (except by the analytics guys) and he's developed exactly on most optimistic possible trajectory that anybody could have predicted back in 2018.  I'm nowhere near comfortable calling him MVP at this point, but his body of work at this point makes me very confident that he's a franchise QB and should keep this team competitive for the next decade 

I agree with the sentiment and I definitely think we should pump the breaks on the MVP talk -- let's at least get to midseason first.

That said, we all knew that guys like Fitz, Trent Edwards, Tyrod, etc. were placeholders or at best replacement level players.  By way of contrast, Allen was very highly regarded coming into the draft (except by the analytics guys) and he's developed exactly on most optimistic possible trajectory that anybody could have predicted back in 2018.  I'm nowhere near comfortable calling him MVP at this point, but his body of work at this point makes me very confident that he's a franchise QB and should keep this team competitive for the next decade 
This is pretty much where I'm at.  Has he played at an MVP caliber through 4 games?  Sure.  Do I expect him to keep it up for the next 12 and "outlast" guys like Wilson, Rodgers, etc.?  No, of course not.

But if his regression to the mean is a game like he played yesterday?  Then I'm getting dangerously close to calling him a long-term franchise quarterback.  I'm not QUITE there yet, but just about.

Users who are viewing this thread