What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (4 Viewers)

Good job taking the time out immediately with 26secs left before the missed FG. I mean it's obvious for Madden players everywhere and anyone with an ounce of sense but something coaches somehow screw up all the time.

When was the last season when the Bills pulled out road wins against two quality teams? Granted, we kind of stole this one, but that's what competent NFL teams do from time to time.

Jury is still out on Orton IMO. I approve of the QB switch, but I'm not convinced that we don't also win that game with Manuel. This one came down to our defense and a brilliant catch by Watkins.

Good job taking the time out immediately with 26secs left before the missed FG. I mean it's obvious for Madden players everywhere and anyone with an ounce of sense but something coaches somehow screw up all the time.
And also not doing anything stupid like wasting your last TO to ice the kicker. I called that out to my son as we were watching the game, and it was eerie how the Bills actually managed the clock correctly there at the end.

When was the last season when the Bills pulled out road wins against two quality teams? Granted, we kind of stole this one, but that's what competent NFL teams do from time to time.

Jury is still out on Orton IMO. I approve of the QB switch, but I'm not convinced that we don't also win that game with Manuel. This one came down to our defense and a brilliant catch by Watkins.
Orton was really impressive in the second half. Hit a lot of big throws.From Buffalo News:

5. Orton was 30 of 43 for 308 yards. EJ Manuel never has had a 300-yard game and has not cracked 250 yards in his past 12 starts.

6. Orton's best throw was to Marquise Goodwin for 42 yards down the right sideline to set up the Bills' touchdown. Jason Jones was bearing down on Orton in the pocket. The guess here is Manuel would not have hung in the pocket long enough to hit that throw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orton was really impressive in the second half. Hit a lot of big throws.From Buffalo News:

5. Orton was 30 of 43 for 308 yards. EJ Manuel never has had a 300-yard game and has not cracked 250 yards in his past 12 starts.

6. Orton's best throw was to Marquise Goodwin for 42 yards down the right sideline to set up the Bills' touchdown. Jason Jones was bearing down on Orton in the pocket. The guess here is Manuel would not have hung in the pocket long enough to hit that throw.
And, with the lack of running game, I think this is easily a L with Manuel in there.

Manuel can't make that throw even without pressure. At least not right now.

No way Manuel hits that throw. That was a classic 3 yards out of bounds throw if Manuel was making that throw. There is no way they when that game with Manuel in the game. Benching him was definitely the right call.

With how Orton played today, I think they beat Houston last week. They had the lead up until Manuel threw that 80 yard pick 6 to Watt which totally changed the game

As someone who thought the move needed to be made I'm not about to say 'I told you so' off today. Really hated how we stalled at midfield twice in the last 4min's when the game was there for the taking. Those throws to Chandler were ugly. Normally that's going to cost you the game. Good on our D and a little luck never hurts.

The Goodwin throw was nice but I mean we've seen Lewis and Tuel hit him for big plays (that makes everyone except EJ, Lol). No reason not to take two or three shots per game with that kid.

Anyway who cares, this game was a bonus anyway.

The skepticism of the Chris Williams signing sure was warranted. Can Richardson play Guard at all? Funny my Dad mentioned that the day before Robert Mays mentioned it.

No way Manuel hits that throw. That was a classic 3 yards out of bounds throw if Manuel was making that throw. There is no way they when that game with Manuel in the game. Benching him was definitely the right call.

With how Orton played today, I think they beat Houston last week. They had the lead up until Manuel threw that 80 yard pick 6 to Watt which totally changed the game
On further reflection, I agree with you guys. I was kind of stuck thinking about Orton's first-half performance and wasn't putting enough weight on the throws he made later on that EJ would have failed on. The pass to Goodwin is a great example as that one had to be exactly on the money. I also didn't realize that Orton put up a 300 yard game today. You can't really ask much more from a guy who you just signed in August.

On further reflection, I agree with you guys. I was kind of stuck thinking about Orton's first-half performance and wasn't putting enough weight on the throws he made later on that EJ would have failed on. The pass to Goodwin is a great example as that one had to be exactly on the money. I also didn't realize that Orton put up a 300 yard game today. You can't really ask much more from a guy who you just signed in August.
I'm amazed with Orton's performance today. How many times has a QB come off the bench of a brand new team after taking 0 snaps with the offense & lead his team to the victory while throwing for over 300 yards?

Orton is exactly the type of QB this team needs right now. He has always been a steady, reliable starter that can make all the throws. He's not going to take over a game and win it with his arm but he can get the job done. This defense is on the verge of being elite- 6 sacks on Stafford today; without their best linemen in Kyle Williams.

The run defense is stifling with the addition of Brandon Spikes and Preston Brown. Thru the first 4 games, they've allowed 71.5 yards per game and a measly 2.9 ypc. They allowed 69 yards against the Lions and only 3.4 ypc. On top of that, they still have not allowed a rushing TD

Then you have all the weapons on offense that just need the ball in their hands and can make things happen like Watkins, Goodwin, Woods, Spiller, FJax, and Williams. Orton isn't going to miss wide open guys like Manuel was.

What a weekend. Really cool building and cool fans and tailgates around. One of the nicer away games I've been too. I'll take this win even though it had a college kicker feel to it. We made plays when we had to got injury help and the front four was awesome even Mario setting the edge.

Exhausted at work but it's worth it. Sunday should be wild.

This stuff about a Detroit fan shining a laser into Orton and Carpenter's eyes is crazy. The guy should be not only banned from all future games, but charged with something too. That kind of thing could have serious implications for games and the likelihood of refs seeing it and being able to do anything to rectify the situation seems slim. I would hope that if a ref actually saw the laser he would immediately call a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the home team. Not that it's really their fault, but that would make the fans that do this stop immediately. Or get beaten up by their fellow fans.

I always find it funny how national media and other people view the Bills. Rarely ever is a Bills win portrayed as the Bills actually winning the game; rather, it seems to always be about how <insert team> lost the game. "Bears struggle against Bills", "Lions lose lead vs. Bills" (last night's Sportscenter blurb). It's not "Bills defense shuts down Lions"....it's "Lions kicking woes lead to loss" or things like that.

In discussing this game and reading people's thoughts on it (not in this thread, but on this site and others), I almost feel like I watched a different game than most people. I'm not a blind homer by any means, but I saw a lights-out performance by the defense yesterday. I saw a mediocre offensive day against a solid Lions defense, but I also saw the Bills defense shut down an offense full of weapons (although they have been struggling a bit).

Am I crazy here? Because pretty much everything I'm seeing is about what the Lions did to lose the game and nothing about what the Bills did to win it.

I always find it funny how national media and other people view the Bills. Rarely ever is a Bills win portrayed as the Bills actually winning the game; rather, it seems to always be about how <insert team> lost the game. "Bears struggle against Bills", "Lions lose lead vs. Bills" (last night's Sportscenter blurb). It's not "Bills defense shuts down Lions"....it's "Lions kicking woes lead to loss" or things like that.

In discussing this game and reading people's thoughts on it (not in this thread, but on this site and others), I almost feel like I watched a different game than most people. I'm not a blind homer by any means, but I saw a lights-out performance by the defense yesterday. I saw a mediocre offensive day against a solid Lions defense, but I also saw the Bills defense shut down an offense full of weapons (although they have been struggling a bit).

Am I crazy here? Because pretty much everything I'm seeing is about what the Lions did to lose the game and nothing about what the Bills did to win it.
No, that's how the media works.

It's always going to be that way until we make the playoffs. Even that might not be enough. None of the stories last Monday Night were about the Chiefs - even though despite their record - they have quietly played four very solid games in a row since their Week 1 dud. And they were a playoff team.

Frankly the narrative isn't that far off anyway. We were a little lucky in those Bears/Lions games. I think the thing the media is missing there is needing a little luck to win those doesn't prove you're not a good team, because only a half dozen teams tops would be favored to win in those places. They're bonus W's so just bank 'em and move on. Now if we need three takeaways or three missed FG's to beat Minnesota in OT at home, I'll be worried.

In the media's eyes, you are what you have been, until you prove otherwise over a period of time or unless the story that you are different is a compelling one. Since the Bills have struggled in recent years, the media will portray them as a struggling franchise until they prove otherwise. Arizona started out 3-0 and got very little media attention. Why? historically they have not been a good franchise and there was no compelling story line. However, if Cleveland had started Manziel, and the Browns had gone 3-0, The Browns would have been the story of the season. Why? Compelling storyline.

As to the coverage of yesterday's game with the Lions, the Lions storyline is the really talented team that doesn't quite live up to their talent. Yesterday's game fit that view so that is what the media wrote about.

Buffalo will just have to keep winning (for quite a while) to change their media narrative.

Yeah I think my point was a little lost. I understand why the media portrays the Bills how they do...I was really asking what you guys thought about the game yesterday. Because I'm usually a pretty pessimistic Bills fan, but I saw a lot of good yesterday. Neither team was at their best and the Bills still won on the road against a pretty good, playoff-caliber 3-1 team despite not being able to run the ball well at all (their bread and butter).

Every team needs to get some lucky bounces to go their way to make the playoffs, of course.

It was a good game, but nothing that really changes my outlook on how good they are in general. It's an ok team that can be good with competent QB play.

I do think they have been, and may still be the most undervalued team in Vegas this year fwiw and I think some wiseguys would agree. A flood of $ came in late to move the line from +7.5 to +4.5. I think that may well happen again. Grab +3.5 now (if you're into that sort of thing).

The O-line still blows and the injury toll is mounting, but this is not a bad team. It's a shame that the defense has already had so many injuries because they could be even better.

As for the media narrative, I'm fine with them being the underdog.

Yeah I think my point was a little lost. I understand why the media portrays the Bills how they do...I was really asking what you guys thought about the game yesterday. Because I'm usually a pretty pessimistic Bills fan, but I saw a lot of good yesterday. Neither team was at their best and the Bills still won on the road against a pretty good, playoff-caliber 3-1 team despite not being able to run the ball well at all (their bread and butter).

Every team needs to get some lucky bounces to go their way to make the playoffs, of course.
I mean you are right the d played lights out and kept us in the game for Orton and Watkins to make plays down the stretch. Calvin being out and Bush being out is my least favorite arguement as Tate stepped up. We can say we were missing Kyle and Nigel and Dareus stepped up. We played well and cashed in our opptunities to win the game. However if the shoe was on the other foot we'd be really upset with our kicker saying we should have won. Like last week with EJ.

The O-line still blows and the injury toll is mounting, but this is not a bad team. It's a shame that the defense has already had so many injuries because they could be even better.

Richardson and Pears just get mauled and it's annoying, granted they played some very good fronts. It will be interesting to see what they do as the season goes on because their isn't any depth. Robey almost cost us and has been terrible all season. It's best for him to just be a blitzing dime corner. Aaron Williams has been somewhat dissapointing as well. It was amazing seeing that chemistry that's building between Hughes and Dareus on that sack.

the biggest factor for this team compared to previous years is the quality depth they have at almost every position.

That Lions defense ranks #1 in the NFL with just 282 yards/game allowed on average. It's not a surprise the Bills didn't run up and down the field on them, but Orton hit some huge throws through tight windows despite facing plenty of pressure.

Also, Bills run defense currently ranks 1st in the NFL with just 71 yards allowed/game. On the radio today, they also mentioned that the defense ranks 1st overall in 3rd down conversions. This defense is getting it done. That will always give you a good chance to win, and that's what happened yesterday. Obviously Detroit was banged up, but holding their offense to just 7 points was really impressive.

There were also tons of Bills fans at the game. Good times. Nice to get one last win for Ralph in his hometown. Would be even better to get a win for the Pegulas next week.

Richardson and Pears just get mauled and it's annoying, granted they played some very good fronts. It will be interesting to see what they do as the season goes on because their isn't any depth. Robey almost cost us and has been terrible all season. It's best for him to just be a blitzing dime corner. Aaron Williams has been somewhat dissapointing as well. It was amazing seeing that chemistry that's building between Hughes and Dareus on that sack.
Weird. I've felt like Williams has played pretty well. He seems to be around the ball a lot and providing good help most of the time.

My take on the game was that the Bills weren't quite as bad as the Lions.

While our defense does appear to be more disciplined in giving up big plays (particularly in the run game) this year, let's not forget that Bills defense has faced an offense missing key offensive skill players in every game so far (or which were relegated to being non-factors by injury).

Chicago - Jeffrey and Marshall

Miami - Moreno

San Diego - Mathews and Woodhead

Houston - AJ and Foster

Detroit - Megatron, Bell and Bush

Injuries are part of pro football, obviously, but the Bills have been incredibly lucky in the teams they have faced so far.

And I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the majority of the proceeds from the sale will go into the Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Foundation, a foundation that will focus its giving on both Detroit and Buffalo.

I know a lot of you in this thread aren't from here (not counting the guys who've moved away), but trust me, that kind of money can do a lot for this city. If the entire $1.4 billion were to go into the foundation, the foundation would be more than 4x larger than the current-largest Buffalo-based foundation, the Oishei Foundation. Even if only 1/2 of the money in the foundation comes through Buffalo, it still dwarfs all the other foundations in the area.

Sorry I know this isn't football-related but it's still big news, IMO.

:thumbup: thanks Ralph.

eta - grammar

Steve Tasker said:
And I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the majority of the proceeds from the sale will go into the Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Foundation, a foundation that will focus its giving on both Detroit and Buffalo.

I know a lot of you in this thread aren't from here (not counting the guys who've moved away), but trust me, that kind of money can do a lot for this city. If the entire $1.4 billion were to go into the foundation, the foundation would be more than 4x larger than the current-largest Buffalo-based foundation, the Oishei Foundation. Even if only 1/2 of the money in the foundation comes through Buffalo, it still dwarfs all the other foundations in the area.

eta - grammar
it's awesome for both cities, Detroit and Buffalo. I wonder if that had anything to do with Pegula being willing to overpay here.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/ralph-wilsons-bequest-will-go-to-two-cities-very-much-in-need-philanthropists-say-20141006

Steve Tasker said:

eta - grammar
Always knew he had a trick up his sleeve with this sale. Pegula also said today it was in the works longer than most of us realized.

Warpig, I hope so but Tom Brady owns us, can't imagine NE going 0-2 in the division, would be crazy though. Everyone was at practice today except Easley

PFF ranks the Bills offensive line dead last in the NFL.

32. Buffalo Bills (22nd)
PB: 31st, RB: 31st, PEN: 6th

Stud: Look no further than Cordy Glenn. The most reliable piece of this line, Glenn hasn’t reached the heights of last year but remains a solid pass protector as evidenced by just 10 QB disruptions allowed all year.

Dud: The switch to right guard has not been kind to Erik Pears. Our lowest-ranked guard on the year, he’s been an abomination in the run game while allowing far too much pressure up the gut. There have been signs of progress but not enough to convince.

Summary: Starting an undrafted free agent at right tackle might create a warm fuzzy feeling, but has also created a quick route to quarterbacks with only two tackles allowing more pressure than Seantrel Henderson. Throw in a fifth-rounder at left guard and there’s nothing reliable vets Glenn and Eric Wood can do to salvage this ranking.
potential playoff teams like the Chargers, Chiefs, Panthers and Patriots are also ranked really low though.

PFF ranks the Bills offensive line dead last in the NFL.

32. Buffalo Bills (22nd)

PB: 31st, RB: 31st, PEN: 6th

Stud: Look no further than Cordy Glenn. The most reliable piece of this line, Glenn hasn’t reached the heights of last year but remains a solid pass protector as evidenced by just 10 QB disruptions allowed all year.

Dud: The switch to right guard has not been kind to Erik Pears. Our lowest-ranked guard on the year, he’s been an abomination in the run game while allowing far too much pressure up the gut. There have been signs of progress but not enough to convince.

Summary: Starting an undrafted free agent at right tackle might create a warm fuzzy feeling, but has also created a quick route to quarterbacks with only two tackles allowing more pressure than Seantrel Henderson. Throw in a fifth-rounder at left guard and there’s nothing reliable vets Glenn and Eric Wood can do to salvage this ranking.
potential playoff teams like the Chargers, Chiefs, Panthers and Patriots are also ranked really low though.
This ranking isn't surprising in the least. Frankly, what Fred Jackson has done behind that line is ridiculous.

I really don't understand Marrone being so stubborn and keeping Pears at RG at this point. Urbik wasn't nearly as bad there last year. In fact, PFF had him as one of their top run blocking guards last year. It's insane to keep running Pears out there at this point.

And as much as I do support Whaley, that Chris Williams signing was awful. Just awful. Why they didn't keep Rhinehart last year is still beyond me.

Defenders are just constantly running free in the backfield on both running and passing plays. Guys are just outright whiffing on blocks All. The. Time. It's incredibly frustrating to watch.

IMO, above all else, this is the biggest indictment of Marrone so far. His thing is supposed to be the offensive line and they are not only the worst unit on the team, they're the worst unit in the league. That's just unacceptable.

Steve Tasker said:

eta - grammar
We liked to complain about how the team was run in his later years, but Ralph really was a saint for Buffalo. He arranged that stadium contract to bind the team to Buffalo for years and then he donates the team sale proceeds to Buffalo and Detroit charity. Buffalo could use it, and lord knows Detroit could really use it.

What a great man.

Don't forget how Orton audibled to a run for that 2-point conversion to tie the game. That was all him. Marrone called a pass.

BTW, did you know that Stefan Charles is Canadian? If he has another game like he did vs. Detroit, he's making the Flysack hero list.

Users who are viewing this thread