What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (5 Viewers)

I think we see Dixon handle most of the load, Brown has admitted today in the locker-room, I believe Chris Brown mentioned he's not the best pass blocker.

The Jets have ten days to figure out how to incorporate Harvin and likely will be able to. We should be able to pass on them but need those guards and tackles to hold up. We ran alot of three TE sets and had Dixon max protecting and only sending out 2-3 WR's towards the end of the game.

I worry about Wilkerson. If the Jets can run the ball with whats becoming a very solid trio that they use we might be in trouble if Geno starts playing with confidence.

Buffalo has 3 of the top 11 sackers in the NFL right now. Is there any way they can keep Hughes around after this year? My bet is no. Probably time to get an extension done with Dareus too though.
I'm assuming they have the cap space, and when it comes to paying cash I have to believe things are a lot better with Pegula writing the checks now.

Buffalo has 3 of the top 11 sackers in the NFL right now. Is there any way they can keep Hughes around after this year? My bet is no. Probably time to get an extension done with Dareus too though.
I'm assuming they have the cap space, and when it comes to paying cash I have to believe things are a lot better with Pegula writing the checks now.
Dareus is gonna be expensive. But he's much more important than Hughes. Not saying Hughes isn't important though. He's been impressive recently. Just to think we got him for peanuts. That was a great pickup.

Dareus is gonna be expensive. But he's much more important than Hughes. Not saying Hughes isn't important though. He's been impressive recently. Just to think we got him for peanuts. That was a great pickup.
We won't be paying Fitzpatrick 7M next year and we are paying Stevie Johnson this year to not be here as well.

Spiller likely not back as well albeit it he's only costing 2.4M

GroveDiesel said:

Hard to believe that Spiller's time in Buffalo is probably done. I hope that he goes somewhere else and dominates next year. He seems like a good dude and he clearly has talent. Probably my biggest complaint with Hackett has been his inability/unwillingness to use Spiller correctly.
I wonder if it's a possibility that Spiller doesn't void his final year on his rookie contract as everyone assumed? Given how bad the last couple years have been for him, I'm skeptical there will be a big market for his services. Maybe he decides to come back to Buffalo for one more year (depending how things shake out with the team the rest of the way - particularly the other RBs) in hopes of getting a bigger, better multi-year contract than he will get this off-season.

I'm hoping here more than anything else.

GroveDiesel said:

Hard to believe that Spiller's time in Buffalo is probably done. I hope that he goes somewhere else and dominates next year. He seems like a good dude and he clearly has talent. Probably my biggest complaint with Hackett has been his inability/unwillingness to use Spiller correctly.
I wonder if it's a possibility that Spiller doesn't void his final year on his rookie contract as everyone assumed? Given how bad the last couple years have been for him, I'm skeptical there will be a big market for his services. Maybe he decides to come back to Buffalo for one more year (depending how things shake out with the team the rest of the way - particularly the other RBs) in hopes of getting a bigger, better multi-year contract than he will get this off-season.

If you were Spiller and the Bills had been using you like they were using you the last two years, would you come back? Better off signing a small deal somewhere else that would use you properly and play for a big deal after that.

GroveDiesel said:

I don't know how true it is but there was a blurb on Rotoworld recently saying that there were multiple trade inquiries regarding Spiller before the upcoming trade deadline (before he got hurt). I have no doubt there will be substantial interest in him should he become a FA.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
have to feel good about the money they saved by not paying Byrd. hopefully that helps them keep some of their other core guys around.
So true. I wished they had been able to extend him earlier for less money, but they were entirely right to not pay him what he wanted. His injury history was a major reason why and that's already proven to be a problem this year. And when playing, Aaron Williams has been almost as good.

GroveDiesel said:

If you were Spiller and the Bills had been using you like they were using you the last two years, would you come back? Better off signing a small deal somewhere else that would use you properly and play for a big deal after that.
You are likely right - but maybe the team starts to win this year (with Jackson as the primary ball carrier) with a playoff run and hopes for next year, but also a need for another RB given that Jackson likely won't carry the load for another season at his age.

GroveDiesel said:

I don't know how true it is but there was a blurb on Rotoworld recently saying that there were multiple trade inquiries regarding Spiller before the upcoming trade deadline (before he got hurt). I have no doubt there will be substantial interest in him should he become a FA.
That doesn't mean that those teams were necessarily offering a lot in a trade and that those teams would be offering a lot in free agency... the injury only hurts is market even more now.

GroveDiesel said:

That doesn't mean that those teams were necessarily offering a lot in a trade and that those teams would be offering a lot in free agency... the injury only hurts is market even more now.
True, it doesn't necessarily mean either of the things you mention. I guess it depends what is meant by "big market", I took that to mean interest from a number of teams. But you're right, interest doesn't mean "serious" interest.

I don't know if the broken collarbone makes much of a dent in his value. It's not like it was a ripped up knee or even broken ankle.

You are likely right - but maybe the team starts to win this year (with Jackson as the primary ball carrier) with a playoff run and hopes for next year, but also a need for another RB given that Jackson likely won't carry the load for another season at his age.
they have Bryce Brown locked up through next year, so they may not have a huge need for RB in 2015. If Brown does well, there's less incentive for Spiller to come back and sit behind him. if Brown tanks, that just points to a flawed line/system/coaching staff so again less reason for Spiller to return unless there's a big shakeup.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what's frustrating? Watching Bell tear up the Texans in the same way Hackett refused to use Spiller when the Bills played them. So frustrating.

Interesting that Spiller went on the designated to return list.
I think teams have to use the designation before games this week, so the Bills didn't really have any reason not to use it.
:clap:

Spiller has always been a class act and I'm happy he'll get another game or two (maybe a playoff run also?!) in a Bills uniform... if for no other reason he can at least help his leverage in getting a new contract in free agency.

Interesting that Spiller went on the designated to return list.
I think teams have to use the designation before games this week, so the Bills didn't really have any reason not to use it.
:clap:

Spiller has always been a class act and I'm happy he'll get another game or two (maybe a playoff run also?!) in a Bills uniform... if for no other reason he can at least help his leverage in getting a new contract in free agency.
I'm not sure that's terribly likely. That is, Spiller being healthy enough to play in the playoffs, let alone week 16/17. I suppose we at least have hope, though.

It's still hard to believe that the Bills got Hughes for Kelvin Sheppard. Hughes has become one of the best edge rushers in the game and Sheppard has 5 total tackles this year.
and yet some Bills fans want to fire Whaley because he took a chance on EJ Manuel that didn't work out.

that trade was pure theft.
For as many whiffs this office and coaching staff has made, they've also hit some serious homers. The Colts drafted Hughes in the first round. it's not like he was a practice squad scrub. They just never developed him right or used him correctly. This group also found & developed Alonzo. And while Sendrel Henderson has been a problem at RT, he was a seventh round pick and many see him progressing toward a good starting RT. Cordy Glenn was their pick too. Robert Woods. And even though they paid the king his random, who can argue that Sammy isn't destined to be a top 5 WR? The guy is already our best playmaker. In a week or so that trade for Bryce Brown might go down as a notch in their belt too.

It's just that their whiffs are killing this team, QB (though the Orton signing was hella smart) & guard. But they've done far more good than bad.

I

It's still hard to believe that the Bills got Hughes for Kelvin Sheppard. Hughes has become one of the best edge rushers in the game and Sheppard has 5 total tackles this year.
and yet some Bills fans want to fire Whaley because he took a chance on EJ Manuel that didn't work out.

For as many whiffs this office and coaching staff has made, they've also hit some serious homers. The Colts drafted Hughes in the first round. it's not like he was a practice squad scrub. They just never developed him right or used him correctly. This group also found & developed Alonzo. And while Sendrel Henderson has been a problem at RT, he was a seventh round pick and many see him progressing toward a good starting RT. Cordy Glenn was their pick too. Robert Woods. And even though they paid the king his random, who can argue that Sammy isn't destined to be a top 5 WR? The guy is already our best playmaker. In a week or so that trade for Bryce Brown might go down as a notch in their belt too.

It's just that their whiffs are killing this team, QB (though the Orton signing was hella smart) & guard. But they've done far more good than bad.

I
Not to nitpick, but I think Cordy Glenn was completely Buddy Nix. That man was in love with Glenn from day one.

That was a pretty good draft in 2012. Gilmore still could be good. Glenn is a stud. Bradham in the 4th might prove to be a great pick.

But I am one of the ones that will always remember this draft for the trade up for TJ Graham when I was sure it was for Russell Wilson. I know, I know... But it's what I'll remember.

It was a great trade for the Bills. When I look at the current regime I start when they took over in 2010. Whaley does not get a pass because he was assistant GM for most of those years. So let's not forget drafting CJ just to give away Lynch. Those 2 moves right there are an equalizer for the Hughes deal. One trade does not erase the Williams trade, an inept offensive line that has had enough picks spent on it to be better. The team needs to make the playoffs for the Whaley regime to be kept IMO. If the team can keep winning despite 2 turnovers a game from Orton then maybe they should look at giving Whaley & co. a chance to find an answer at QB. Otherwise, just move on.

It was a great trade for the Bills. When I look at the current regime I start when they took over in 2010. Whaley does not get a pass because he was assistant GM for most of those years. So let's not forget drafting CJ just to give away Lynch. Those 2 moves right there are an equalizer for the Hughes deal. One trade does not erase the Williams trade, an inept offensive line that has had enough picks spent on it to be better. The team needs to make the playoffs for the Whaley regime to be kept IMO. If the team can keep winning despite 2 turnovers a game from Orton then maybe they should look at giving Whaley & co. a chance to find an answer at QB. Otherwise, just move on.
I did not like the Spiller pick at all. Also didn't like giving up on Lynch when they did, and a lot of moves that were made around those times. But I feel a lot better about Whaley than I did about Buddy

I'm more excited about the defense this staff has finally put together, as I've been saying for years that was the best hope to turn this franchise around.

Mario Williams was a massive get in free agency

Jerry Hughes was a great trade

Kiko Alonso was acquired via a draft pick they traded for

Brandon Spikes and Corey Graham signed in free agency

Nigel Bradham and Preston Brown drafted

also feel good about the depth they have on this team.

Jairus Wynn, Manny Lawson, Stefan Charles, Corbin Bryant all look like quality backup linemen

LBs lost Alonso and have had guys in and out of the lineup, but it hasn't been a weakness.

Secondary has plenty of corners to match up against spread offenses. Safeties are a potential weakness, but that's not a huge surprise after losing Byrd (even though they did make him a competitive offer to stay).

Yes, the offensive line is a big concern. Part of that should likely fall on Marrone as that's supposed to be his specialty. Most people knew Chris Williams was going to be a flop. It's a bit too early to write off the young guys this team is relying heavily upon as they are rookies, but it would have been nice to bring them along more slowly. Cyrus Kouandjio looks like a 2nd round bust for now, but they did trade down there and add the pick that got them Richardson so hopefully one of those guys develops into a starter. Legursky doesn't appear to be playing well for San Diego but I was confused as to why they gave up on him. Also not sure why Kraig Urbik has been benched given the issues they are having.

It would be nice to have the QB position settled long-term, but I feel pretty good with Orton out there for now at least. And hopefully EJ will play better next chance he gets as it can't hurt a young QB to take a step back and watch how a vet like Orton handles things. Bringing in Orton as QB2 was a nice aggressive move for Whaley to make when he saw the team needed it.

How many teams would lose their top-2 RBs and have quality backups ready to go in Dixon/Brown? Both are better than Tashard Choice at least.

They also dumped Stevie Johnson, which kind of sucks as he would been an ideal fit in the slot right now but Hogan is coming through ok and Williams provides depth on the outside.

Every team has moves and draft picks that don't work out, but this team is making more good moves than bad moves of late and it's showing with results on the field.

Whaley joined the Bills immediately prior to the Spiller draft. I'm not sure how much input he had on that pick and, for certain, Nix was the one who made the final call there.

Bills fans, what is the deal with Chris Hogan? He's been getting targeted a lot lately, and I was thinking he could be a sneaky good add. Is he starting? 3rd down guy or what?

Does anyone have any clue when FJax returns what he might look like? Is his injury the type that when he comes back he is fine? Or is he going to be hobbled but playing?

Bills fans, what is the deal with Chris Hogan? He's been getting targeted a lot lately, and I was thinking he could be a sneaky good add. Is he starting? 3rd down guy or what?
Doug Marrone REALLY likes him. He's their slot WR on 3 WR sets right now. I don't think he's fantasy relevant because I don't think he's that great and Orton clearly has a connection with Watkins.

Doug Marrone REALLY likes him. He's their slot WR on 3 WR sets right now. I don't think he's fantasy relevant because I don't think he's that great and Orton clearly has a connection with Watkins.
And, who knows if/when Mike Williams will get worked back in.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
JayJay328 said:

I did not like the Spiller pick at all. Also didn't like giving up on Lynch when they did, and a lot of moves that were made around those times. But I feel a lot better about Whaley than I did about Buddy
I've always been a huge Lynch fan, so I kind of agree, but don't forget he had some off the field issues, which added a lot of risk. Hindsight is 20-20, but there was a feeling like he might go all Ricky Williams on the team back then.

he's become the #3 WR it seems. they prefer to use him in the slot over Mike Williams.

I've always been a huge Lynch fan, so I kind of agree, but don't forget he had some off the field issues, which added a lot of risk. Hindsight is 20-20, but there was a feeling like he might go all Ricky Williams on the team back then.
Oh I'm well aware and was going to mention it but decided not to. He wasn't playing particularly well at the time they moved him either and lots of people had written him off. He's a weird dude, but tough to build a strong team when you keep dumping talent like that. It was a pattern with this franchise back in those days. Lost way too many good players during or after their first contracts.

I'll be happy when Whaley and the new ownership starts locking some guys up before they hit the open market.

you must not play in deep leagues. he's certainly relevant in some.

Big game and I'm just not feeling it this week. Hoping tomorrow im more optimistic. I just feel we'll get out coached again and their Dline will wreak havoc. Hopefully ours is able to too. I just have a feeling they will be able to run successfully and hit on a few big plays.

Go Bills ... Maybe we will create some turn overs, haven't recovered a fumble or strip sacked in awhile.

The Bills are the first 4-3 team in NFL history to be a dog against a 1-6 team.

And the last Buffalo QB to pass for over 200 yards in a win in New Jersey? Todd Collins

Big game and I'm just not feeling it this week. Hoping tomorrow im more optimistic. I just feel we'll get out coached again and their Dline will wreak havoc. Hopefully ours is able to too. I just have a feeling they will be able to run successfully and hit on a few big plays.

Go Bills ... Maybe we will create some turn overs, haven't recovered a fumble or strip sacked in awhile.
I think we, as Bills fans have been conditioned to expect things to eventually go wrong. I have that same feeling too. The Bills blow this game every time. If the Bills have turned the corner, they will win this game. If they're still "our Bills", Percy Harvin will have 150 yards and Geno Smith will throw for 350 and run for 100 with 4 total TDs. I'm cautiously optimistic that Dixon and Brown can do enough to keep the running game afloat until Freddy returns (is that the name of a movie?), and there is enough receiving talent that even an average talent like Orton has been able to make things happen. But, all things considered, I'm nervous.

I also have a bad feeling about this team in the back of my mind. This team always struggles against the Jets. 4 straight losses in NY with last win coming against a 5 INT Sanchez performance

But, this appears to be a different team. If they really have turned the corner, they should have no problem beating the Jets. Orton will be in his 4th game & should finally have a good grasp on the playbill and his WRs. Watkins should have a field day against their secondary. Anything less then 15 targets would he a mistake.

I also think this defensive line should be able to really take it to the Jets oline.

Can we revisit the theory posted in here earlier about how Orton will look good but won't win games?

Maybe the Bears should turn to David Fales. They'd probably love to have Orton back.

Only 2 AFC teams with a better record at the halfway mark. You guys still ready to fire everybody?
Yes. There's no excuse for the play calling. They run the ball an unbelievable number of times on first and second down. It would be one thing if they were successful at it, but they're not at all. And of those runs, like 90% are straight up the middle which is where they are the weakest running the ball. It's embarrassing. They had the most drives starting from the 50 yard line or better since like 1971 or something ridiculous like that and had TDs in just 2 of those drives. They punted 4 times on those drives. Horrible.

Yep. Let's start all over. That will fix everything.

They won by 20 points and people are pissed. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread