What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (7 Viewers)

Only 2 AFC teams with a better record at the halfway mark. You guys still ready to fire everybody?
Yea, we (browns fans) need you guys to slow it down and get back to your losing ways. That pick is tumbling down in the first round...

JK - nice to see our fellow northcoasters NFL (and FF) relevant. Good luck the rest of the season.

I'm happy. As I stated before, the Bills traditionally lose this game and cement their crappiness, so I'm very pleased that they won. I'm especially pleased that they were able to force so many turnovers, and that they were able to look pretty decent offensively without their first 2 RBs, as well as half the game without their WR2. Now there's a bye, and maybe Freddy will be ready to return by week 10, if not then, hopefully week 11 in Miami. When I look at their schedule, I think it's very possible that they could be 8-4 heading into the Denver game, and 10-6 or better overall isn't completely out of the question.

As a fan, I am happy they won. It was like beating up a one legged homeless man, but its a win.

Hackett and the offensive play calling was attrocious. Not until the 4th quarter did the play calling start to become dynamic, and by then the game was essentially over. If the Bills were playing a better qb, that game would of been a nailbiter imo.

Hackett and marrone are playing, not to lose, which means the defense will have to be steller, every game, and the offense will have to make due with runs up the middle with very few dynamic plays.

Sad, the Bills get the talent, they are stuck with mediocre coaching now.

Yep. Let's start all over. That will fix everything.

They won by 20 points and people are pissed. :lmao:
It's funny, yea. But you have to be a little irked by the way they successfully went three and out over and over. Orton threw for 4 TDs and yet it feels like the Jets lost that game more than the Bills won it.

Watching Payton vs. McCarthy last night really highlighted Hacket (and Marrone's) atrocious offensive play calls. And I don't mean all the trick plays. I mean the quick snap-and-fire to Cobb for 6-8 years. The quickfire bubble screens to get their speedy playmaker into space, etc. They're little plays, but there's no reason Watkins could make those his bread and butter and move the chains. And don't get me started on what Spiller could have done.

I pray these numbskulls realize that running a plodding Dixon up the middle for 2 yards a gain isn't a running game, and work Brown into the gameplan vs. the Chiefs.

I pray these numbskulls realize that running a plodding Dixon up the middle for 2 yards a gain isn't a running game, and work Brown into the gameplan vs. the Chiefs.
You really think Brown would do better running up the gut every play? Because that's exactly what they did with him too yesterday which is why his ypc was even worse than Dixon's.

And yeah Aaron, the Bills won by 20 yesterday, on a game that they were +6 on turnovers, had an historic number of drives start in opponent territory, and when they managed to throw 4 TDs on just 10 completions. That doesn't really seem all that repeatable.

This was one of the stranger games I've seen in a long time. To the degree that a team can look absolutely wretched on offense while still putting up 43 points, the Bills looked awful pretty much all game long. The way the Jets played, a decent offense would have hung 60 on them.

The play-calling was too predictable and counter-productive, but clearly they were missing Jackson and Spiller. The running game never showed any signs of life.

Can we revisit the theory posted in here earlier about how Orton will look good but won't win games?

Maybe the Bears should turn to David Fales. They'd probably love to have Orton back.
Lol. One of the strangest "ideas" I've seen.

Are you super confident? It's great that they got the W, but there are plenty of reasons not to be overly excited.

IIRC, on their first 11 drives, the Bills had 8 3-and-outs. I don't think anyone is upset that they won, but that's a worrisome statistic. I don't care how the game ended, if you're getting the ball inside the opponents' territory 4-5 times, you have to do more than kick a few FGs and punt a few times. This game should've been over at halftime, but the Bills went 3-and-out to start the second half and the Jets got the ball back immediately down a touchdown. They struggle to put teams away.

Jets had the momentum, at home, coming off 10 late points in the first half and getting the ball back. Credit the Bills D for shutting them down all game, but a better team makes the Bills pay for letting them hang around.

Bottom line, it was a game they should've won against a below-average team, and they did win, convincingly, on the road at a division opponent that they hadn't beaten on the road in like 5 years. It was a nice win. But there's always room for improvement. The defense was great. The offense was good at times and putrid at others. They need more consistency, IMO, though not having 2 of their best players hurts. That said, they've been misusing Spiller all season anyway, so I'm not sure how much different it'd be if he was in the game.

Of their 7 second half drives, the Bills went: Run, Run, Pass, Kick on 4 of them. (That does include the Chandler TD though).

But the play calling is just so unbelievably predictable.

Would people feel better about the offense if they scored more off the turnovers and didn't have any real drives? They did have two legit TD possessions in the 1st half. When's the last time they did that vs anybody on the road? Seriously, I don't know.

We were -3 in turnovers at the half vs NE and down 6. It happens.

It wasn't that long ago the Bears were handing us 13 of 20 regulation points on turnovers and people were talking themselves into "ya know, that Manuel isn't all bad" - and their defense is worse than the Jets.

I mean I dislike Hackett as much as the next guy. I don't need to see anymore 1st down runs up the middle. But I think we should wait 'till they go ultra-conservative vs. an opposing offense that is more capable than the Jets before just completely flipping out.

I guess you guys would be happier if they called lots of cool plays that led to turnovers? They won very easily. The defense is for real. Orton should have had 5 TDs on 10 completions. Jets run D is stout, but this team can't run on anybody right now. Pass pro isn't a whole lot better.

People in this thread expected them to lose this game. They were getting points. And it wasn't even close.

Chargers had a similar yards per carry when they dominated the Bills earlier this year, but Rivers converted shorter passes and led some long drives. Bills averaged 24 yards per catch and put up 40+ points so not sure how you can rip the offense too much here.

Bills fans can't enjoy success I guess.

I guess you guys would be happier if they called lots of cool plays that led to turnovers? They won very easily. The defense is for real. Orton should have had 5 TDs on 10 completions. Jets run D is stout, but this team can't run on anybody right now. Pass pro isn't a whole lot better.

People in this thread expected them to lose this game. They were getting points. And it wasn't even close.

Chargers had a similar yards per carry when they dominated the Bills earlier this year, but Rivers converted shorter passes and led some long drives. Bills averaged 24 yards per catch and put up 40+ points so not sure how you can rip the offense too much here.

Bills fans can't enjoy success I guess.
Or, Bills fans can enjoy success and still be honest about the situation and realize that they need to improve on things if they want to be serious contenders.

Two weeks to prepare for KC who has four conference wins already.

We need to win some AFC games here. KC coming to our building. If I hear one more time we almost beat them with Tuel last year, they also had a ton of injuries.

A November 9th meaninful game, let's keep it going - Don't need to win pretty, just win.

Being honest = fire everybody? Because that's what some were saying in this thread not too long ago.
Are you talking about yesterday or all season? I was talking about yesterday since that is what most of the recent conversation was about (including your post), but if you want to talk overall, then I wouldn't say the Bills have had "success" just yet since the season is only half over.

I think you're giving too much weight to a couple of posters- most people don't want to "clean house", although it's entirely possible that the team is winning in spite of the coaching. IMO, the jury is still out there.

Two weeks to prepare for KC who has four conference wins already.

We need to win some AFC games here. KC coming to our building. If I hear one more time we almost beat them with Tuel last year, they also had a ton of injuries.

A November 9th meaninful game, let's keep it going - Don't need to win pretty, just win.
It wasn't just that we almost beat them. It was that it was the biggest ###-kicking in a 10pt loss in NFL history. Their CB gets juked out of his jock and falls into a 100yd int return before a fumble return TD. GMAFB.

However record notwithstanding they (KC) look like a better team this year than last. I mean they've been like Denver-good excluding Week 1, which I can't believe will continue, but it's a six game sample now of them playing really good football.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't thrilled when the Bills signed Orton but I sure am glad they have him.

And even happier he's with the Bills and not the Jets because if the Jets had pulled Geno and then beat my team with Orton off the bench, I would have been pisssssssssssssed!

Why Buffalo Bills OC Nate Hackett Isnt To Blame For Teams Inconsistent Offense

http://billsmafia.com/2014/10/27/buffalo-bills-oc-nate-hackett-isnt-blame-teams-inconsistent-offense/
I agree that his play designs in the passing game have been really good for the most part (I do think it was a mistake to scheme Watkins out of the NE game), but the play design and play calling for the running game has been atrocious. I mean, nobody can really argue that Spiller wasn't misused or that running up the middle constantly despite the worst guard play in the league isn't frustrating to watch.

And I know what the final score was this lat Sunday, but that game was much closer than it should have been for a long time because the Bills kept running into the teeth of one of the best run defenses in the league instead of throwing it into the coverage of one of the worst pass defenses in the league.

The problem I have with the rah rah'ing going on about the win is that it seems to be confusing good results with a good process. Yeah, the results were good this week, but I still think there were major problems with the process of getting there. The best teams and coaches in the league find their biggest advantage each week and exploit it over and over again. The Bills seem to try to habe one philosophy of playing super conservative with a lead and try not to lose the game. That was a bit more understandable under Manuel, but that constraint ks gone now.

It's fine to be critical, but I don't think people are being fair when they only focus on the negative. Defense, passing game, and special teams are all great. Yet, everybody focuses on the weak spot.

In case you all forgot, the Bills lead the league in dead money contracts from the Gaily era. Fitz ($7 million) and Stevie ($10 million) are 2 of the 3 highest paid players against the cap.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/10/29/nfl-20-worst-dead-money-contracts-matt-schaub-desean-jackson

The article is unclear if that's just for this year. Anyone know if that money vanishes in 2015? I hope so. Signing Dareus, Hughes, and Spikes (in that order) to long-term contracts is a must IMO.

It's fine to be critical, but I don't think people are being fair when they only focus on the negative. Defense, passing game, and special teams are all great. Yet, everybody focuses on the weak spot.
It doesn't matter if they have a bunch of crappy run plays. Orton to Watkins is there all day long when they need it.

In case you all forgot, the Bills lead the league in dead money contracts from the Gaily era. Fitz ($7 million) and Stevie ($10 million) are 2 of the 3 highest paid players against the cap.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/10/29/nfl-20-worst-dead-money-contracts-matt-schaub-desean-jackson

The article is unclear if that's just for this year. Anyone know if that money vanishes in 2015? I hope so. Signing Dareus, Hughes, and Spikes (in that order) to long-term contracts is a must IMO.
Yes, all of Fitzpatrick's and Johnson's dead money is taken in 2014 and gone in 2015.

Buccaneers signed DT Gerald McCoy to a seven-year, $98 million extension through 2021.

The deal includes $51.5 million guaranteed, and makes McCoy the highest paid defensive tackle in NFL history
So is Dareus gonna ask for more than that? That's an insane amount of money.

Hughes is gonna want a big payday too. Can he get Michael Johnson money? (5 year - $44 million)

Being honest = fire everybody? Because that's what some were saying in this thread not too long ago.
So happy they are winning. Surprised too. :o

Orton was efficient last week, like a veteran should be. Still think this regime has to make the playoffs to be kept. 8-8 or 9-7 and just missing out doesn't cut it. Changing the Asst. GM to GM shouldn't get you extra years to get the job done.

Not sure you guys understand Pegula. He'll be patient if he thinks the team is on the right track, which it seems to be right now.

Unlike the Jets, you guys have a coach who is willing to make a proactive move to try to win. Maybe Orton doesn't have it. But your division is there for the taking right now and at least you should be happy to have a coach willing to take a shot now versus the vague promises of someday the Jets coach is giving to their fans.

Hopefully my Bengals take it to the Patriots for you guys next week :)

-QG
My Bengals didn't take it the Patriots :(

But I feel smart for the rest of it :bowtie:

-QG

Buccaneers signed DT Gerald McCoy to a seven-year, $98 million extension through 2021.

The deal includes $51.5 million guaranteed, and makes McCoy the highest paid defensive tackle in NFL history

Hughes is gonna want a big payday too. Can he get Michael Johnson money? (5 year - $44 million)
You would have to think Dareus is going to want a very similar deal to the one McCoy just signed.

McCoy is 26 years old with 138 tackles and 21.5 career sacks in 57 games.

Dareus is 24 years old with 126 tackles and 25.5 sacks in 56 games. He is currently on pace to finish with 14 sacks which would blow McCoy's career high 9.5 sack season out of the water.

The Bills picked up his 5th year option so he is locked up through next season but they need to get him extended ASAP. His price will only increase the longer they wait. He might also decide to test FA out ala Byrd if he makes it into next season without an extension.

He is the key piece of this entire defense. I would keep him at all costs and have no problem giving him a deal similar to McCoy's to make sure he stays a Buffalo Bill. He has become an elite DT that can take over games. He constantly eats up double teams which allows his line mates to make plays. He has also shown the ability to beat those double teams and get to the QB consistently throughout his career. 7 sacks is a great season for a 340lb DT like Dareus; he's done that in 8 games. He's never had less then 5.5 sacks in a season.

Kyle Williams isn't getting any younger at 31. With Stevie's 10+ million and Fitz's 7+ million in dead money coming off the books next season, there is no reason they can't get a deal done with Dareus.

Call me crazy, but I also think you can't let Jerry Hughes go either. He is a pending FA and only 26 years old. He has 5.5 sacks this year and 15.5 since becoming a Bill. He reminds me a lot of Dwight Freeney with his speed off the edge & is just a force off the edge. Hughes needs to stay a BIll for a very long time. I have no problem at all with him getting a Micheal Johnson type deal (5 years / 44 million).

The dead money from Stevie and Fitz should cover those 2 new contracts and keep the best defensive line in football together for a very long time. If there is any unit I will invest top dollar in, it is my defensive line. These guys have proven they are elite & they make everyone else around them better. It also fits with keeping Orton around at QB- keep this dominant defense together & Orton is good enough to get this team into the playoffs.

3 of the next 4 games are against teams in the AFC Wild Card mix. It's going to be a fun ride.

Frankly i'm pleased to still be playing meaningful games this far into the season.

at some point, does Orton consider opting out of his deal and hitting the open market this offseason?

Bills may need to spend more to keep him.

at some point, does Orton consider opting out of his deal and hitting the open market this offseason?

He's bounced around for so long that I think he'd have to take them deep into the playoffs to shake the "journeyman" perception. And if he does that, I'd gladly pay more.

He's bounced around for so long that I think he'd have to take them deep into the playoffs to shake the "journeyman" perception. And if he does that, I'd gladly pay more.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl-columns/orton-has-time-on-his-side-20141102

Six of the eight division leaders have QBs who are 30 or older, including the NFL’s five oldest starters: Brady, Manning, Drew Brees, Tony Romo and Carson Palmer. Brees is 35, Romo and Palmer 34.

The top seven-rated QBs, and 11 of the top 13, are over 30. Say what you will about quarterback rating. It’s a reliable gauge of efficiency. The ratings make a strong case that the more experienced the QB, the more likely he is to make accurate throws and avoid mistakes.

Which brings us to Orton. Considering the success of older quarterbacks, why couldn’t he play at a high level into his mid-30s, and become an interim franchise guy for the Bills?

So the question is, how long can Orton maintain it and warrant the No. 1 job? He’s currently rated sixth among NFL passers. Among the top seven, he’s the second-youngest. I’m not saying he’s Brady, Brees or Philip Rivers, but he’s making a case for himself as a long-term starter.

Really, if most of the winning teams in the NFL are doing it with 30-something quarterbacks, how can he be too old at 31?

“When you look at the quarterbacks now, at 31, at 37 or 35, I think it’s difficult to put a limit on when it’s going to end,” Marrone said.

Orton will turn 32 in two weeks. He has started only 74 games in the NFL, so there’s not as much wear on his body. Jay Cutler, who is roughly the same age, has 112 starts. Ben Roethlisberger has 164 starts, counting playoffs, and he’s only eight months older.

So who’s to say he can’t go five more years, assuming he’s willing?

You would have to think Dareus is going to want a very similar deal to the one McCoy just signed.

McCoy is 26 years old with 138 tackles and 21.5 career sacks in 57 games.

Dareus is 24 years old with 126 tackles and 25.5 sacks in 56 games. He is currently on pace to finish with 14 sacks which would blow McCoy's career high 9.5 sack season out of the water.

The Bills picked up his 5th year option so he is locked up through next season but they need to get him extended ASAP. His price will only increase the longer they wait. He might also decide to test FA out ala Byrd if he makes it into next season without an extension.

He is the key piece of this entire defense. I would keep him at all costs and have no problem giving him a deal similar to McCoy's to make sure he stays a Buffalo Bill. He has become an elite DT that can take over games. He constantly eats up double teams which allows his line mates to make plays. He has also shown the ability to beat those double teams and get to the QB consistently throughout his career. 7 sacks is a great season for a 340lb DT like Dareus; he's done that in 8 games. He's never had less then 5.5 sacks in a season.

Kyle Williams isn't getting any younger at 31. With Stevie's 10+ million and Fitz's 7+ million in dead money coming off the books next season, there is no reason they can't get a deal done with Dareus.

Call me crazy, but I also think you can't let Jerry Hughes go either. He is a pending FA and only 26 years old. He has 5.5 sacks this year and 15.5 since becoming a Bill. He reminds me a lot of Dwight Freeney with his speed off the edge & is just a force off the edge. Hughes needs to stay a BIll for a very long time. I have no problem at all with him getting a Micheal Johnson type deal (5 years / 44 million).

The dead money from Stevie and Fitz should cover those 2 new contracts and keep the best defensive line in football together for a very long time. If there is any unit I will invest top dollar in, it is my defensive line. These guys have proven they are elite & they make everyone else around them better. It also fits with keeping Orton around at QB- keep this dominant defense together & Orton is good enough to get this team into the playoffs.
From an outsiders perspective, I don't see how they can pay all of their defensive lineman what you are suggesting. Mario is making top dollar, and now so is McCoy. If you add Dareus and Hughes to that, you would have about 40% of your salary cap tied up in your defensive line. You better have the rebirth of the Steel Curtain for that kind of monetary investment.

It's still too early to think about that yet. As mentioned above, the second half of the schedule is stacked with playoff contenders - including the next two games (Chiefs and Dolphins). The Bills' playoff chances may be on life support in just 10 days.

Moreover, how many teams will really be in the market for another starting QB (presumably Orton wouldn't jump ship to be a backup)? The Jets, Rams, Bucs, Texans and Titans are the only teams that I can think of that might be looking for a QB - and some/all of those teams may prefer investing at the position through the draft.

From an outsiders perspective, I don't see how they can pay all of their defensive lineman what you are suggesting. Mario is making top dollar, and now so is McCoy. If you add Dareus and Hughes to that, you would have about 40% of your salary cap tied up in your defensive line. You better have the rebirth of the Steel Curtain for that kind of monetary investment.
Getting Mario Williams to restructure his deal would be crucial to keeping that unit in tact.

Kyle Williams is actually signed to pretty reasonable deal for how great of a player he is:

Cap Hits:

2014: 6.75

2015: 5.85

2016: 7.00

Mario Williams has an astronomical cap figure for the rest of his contract & needs to be restructured if they have any hope of keeping this unit together

2014: 18.80

2015: 19.00

2016: 19.90

2017: 16.50

Those are some crazy cap hits going into the future. He is only 29 so he still has a few years in his prime but Jerry Hughes is only 26. Mario is much more complete defensive end though.

I do know one thing, they cannot let Jerry Hughes walk out the door for nothing. They need to franchise him & trade him if it comes down to that. Pass rushers in the prime of their careers are one of the most valuable commodities. If I'm Whaley, and know there is no possible way to keep this line together, I am moving Hughes at the draft. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to get at least a 2nd round pick for him- I would aim for a 1st. Find a team desperate for pass rushing help (Nearly every team in the league) & tell them would you rather get a proven, double digit sack pass rusher in Hughes for your 1st or take a chance on an Aaron Maybin or Eric Flowers??

RE: Week 10 matchup vrs Chiefs

The supposedly stout Bills run defense gave up 150+ to the Vikings (McKinnon went over 100) and 172 to the Jets. The latter includes 88 yards to Vick and Harvin, something Kansas City doesn't have the personnel to replicate.

Interested in the homer perspective on whether the Bills can contain Jamal. I'm thinking Andy will have a run oriented game plan with heavy doses of Knile Davis mixed in. Even in plus matchups Bowe seems like JAG, and the Kelce snap counts/usage are befuddling.

Your thoughts on KC versus the Bills D?

Gerald McCoy plays for Tampa though.

I do know one thing, they cannot let Jerry Hughes walk out the door for nothing. They need to franchise him & trade him if it comes down to that. Pass rushers in the prime of their careers are one of the most valuable commodities. If I'm Whaley, and know there is no possible way to keep this line together, I am moving Hughes at the draft. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to get at least a 2nd round pick for him- I would aim for a 1st. Find a team desperate for pass rushing help (Nearly every team in the league) & tell them would you rather get a proven, double digit sack pass rusher in Hughes for your 1st or take a chance on an Aaron Maybin or Eric Flowers??
These deals almost never happen. Teams aren't going to give up that much for a guy making a lot of money and only under contract for 1 year (if he even agreed to sign the tag).

Too bad Al Davis isn't still alive. If the Pats could get a first rounder for a past-his-prime Richard Seymour, what would old Al give for a 24 year old pass rushing stud?

Gerald McCoy plays for Tampa though.
I am stupid.

So you still have Kyle Williams on the line at approximately $6 million per year. Though not as hard, it will still be hard to sign all the lineman to big deals. The one thing that Buffalo has going is they do not have a big dollar QB To

pay. Unless they sign a big FA QB (which is very unlikely), they won't have a big dollar QB for at least another 3 or 4 years.

RE: Week 10 matchup vrs Chiefs

The supposedly stout Bills run defense gave up 150+ to the Vikings (McKinnon went over 100) and 172 to the Jets. The latter includes 88 yards to Vick and Harvin, something Kansas City doesn't have the personnel to replicate.

Interested in the homer perspective on whether the Bills can contain Jamal. I'm thinking Andy will have a run oriented game plan with heavy doses of Knile Davis mixed in. Even in plus matchups Bowe seems like JAG, and the Kelce snap counts/usage are befuddling.

Your thoughts on KC versus the Bills D?
Hard to say. The D's worse games have been vs other dink&dunk teams - NE & SD; so that doesn't bode well. Of course a simpler way of looking at that is those are the two best QB's they've played by far. KC certainly did nothing last year on offense in this game; though they're playing better now despite the worse record.

Don't know or really care about the Run D tbh. Every Bills game comes down to the offense and pass D mostly. McKinnon was the first guy in over a year to go over 100 and it got them 16pts despite four takeaways. Obviously if you have Charles in FF you're starting him.

Users who are viewing this thread