What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (2 Viewers)

I know Cutler has a ####ty attitude, but he's kinda mired on a bad Bears team with ####ty coaching, no? I don't think anyone's delusional about his abilities, but there are like 25 starting QBs in the NFL who are as good as, if not better than Kyle Orton. I like Orton a lot, always have...for years I had called him my favorite player in the NFL (mostly because of his off-field antics). I don't really have a problem with him as a QB for the Bills.....but the Bills aren't going anywhere with him as a starter. The Bills don't have the '00 Ravens or the '85 Bears defense. They've got a very good defense, an '02 Bucs defense, but not a defense that will carry a team deep into the playoffs on its own. I think Jay Cutler could put this team over the top in ways that Kyle Orton and EJ Manuel can't. Do I think Jay Cutler can win a Super Bowl? I don't know....maybe, maybe not. But I'm pretty sure he can get the current Bills team further in the playoffs (or, god forbid, just INTO the playoffs) than Kyle Orton can.

Just my two cents.....

He's really worse than Kyle Orton and EJ Manuel? He's got a beast of a contract for sure, but there's a reason he got $100+ million and Kyle Orton was on the verge of retirement, no? I can't admit to seeing too many Bears games this year, it just surprises me to hear that.

He's really worse than Kyle Orton and EJ Manuel? He's got a beast of a contract for sure, but there's a reason he got $100+ million and Kyle Orton was on the verge of retirement, no? I can't admit to seeing too many Bears games this year, it just surprises me to hear that.
he's got more INTs than every other QB in the league.

how you going to have a good defense with a QB that doesn't care?

they had a good line, great weapons, a good offensive coaching staff, and he was possibly the most disappointing player in the entire league. why would you want to take on somebody else's garbage like that with the money he's due to make?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cutler is a turnover machine. Pass. He's worse than what the Bills have now.
You think Orton and EJ are better than Cutler? I agree about the contact. And maybe there's ways to fix that. But no way Orton or EJ are better than Cutler.
better at not turning the football over. better at not sabotaging their team, turning their teammates against each other, and sending the franchise into a death spiral too.

you can't have a turnover-prone QB and a great defense imo. I'm not thrilled with EJ/Orton, but I don't see how Cutler is the answer. He's never won anywhere and is being paid like he's a superstar.

The Bears GM only hope is that one of his calls to fellow GMs yields a Mr Peterson on the other end. I guess it only takes one.

Jay Cutler is this era's Jeff George. All the talent in the world, will put up snazzy numbers, but a total headcase and goofball.

No way I want him on the Bills.

He's having a bad year. And in that bad year he has still managed to throw 28 TD's.

Just three or 4 weeks ago you guys would've been doing flips at just the mere mention of any possibility of Cutler to the Bills. But because he's just been benched and the media is trashing on him you guys are just gonna jump on the wagon.

He's having a bad year. And in that bad year he has still managed to throw 28 TD's.

Just three or 4 weeks ago you guys would've been doing flips at just the mere mention of any possibility of Cutler to the Bills. But because he's just been benched and the media is trashing on him you guys are just gonna jump on the wagon.
Nah, I wouldn't have wanted since about his 3rd year, when it became apparent he had no heart.

As for the TDs, you realize he has Marshall, Jeffrey, Bennett, and Forte to throw to, right? That is easily one of the top pass receiving quartets in the league.

He also leads the entire NFL in INT's and turnovers, and his numbers are inflated some by having very good weapons to throw to.

I actually agree that he's better than Orton and EJ, but when you add in his contract, turnovers, attitude, etc., it doesn't seem like a good fit.

WGR is just unlistenable in the morning. All they talk about is t QB and coach.. Maybe talk football, break down the Oakland game and other matchups we want to go our favor. We have all Feb-August to talk whose our QB and free agency/draft etc.

We are 8-6 and have a 1/10 chance at getting in. Go beat Oakland and let's watch the other games and actually have a rooting interest on December 20-22

Go Bills.

The Broncos got rid of him. Now the Bears want to get rid of him. Why is he going to be a savior in Buffalo?

He's 61-57 as a starter and has only gone to the playoffs once in 9 seasons.

He's owed $15.5MM in base salary next year and $16MM the year after. You want to pay him $30+MM over the next two years? You willing to dump Dareus and Hughes to do so?

The Broncos got rid of him. Now the Bears want to get rid of him. Why is he going to be a savior in Buffalo?

He's 61-57 as a starter and has only gone to the playoffs once in 9 seasons.

He's owed $15.5MM in base salary next year and $16MM the year after. You want to pay him $30+MM over the next two years? You willing to dump Dareus and Hughes to do so?
It's not even about his contract or money owed or who we would lose in the process. I get that part and agree.

You specifically said, he's worse than what we have now. I'm saying he's not great by any means, but a lot better than what we have now.

It's not even about his contract or money owed or who we would lose in the process. I get that part and agree.

You specifically said, he's worse than what we have now. I'm saying he's not great by any means, but a lot better than what we have now.
I'm considering the whole picture. that includes his contract.

I'd rather have a terrible low-priced QB who doesn't turn the ball over and gets along with his teammates rather than an expensive QB who is turnover-prone and a divisive figure in the locker room.

Cutler can make some great throws, but he can hurt his team as much as he helps it quite often. I don't think adding his contract would be an improvement.

Orton/Manuel combine for about $7MM in 2015. Cutler is owed $15MM next year and $16MM the year after. No way should the Bills trade for that albatross of a deal.

Cutler is going to be cut. His contract is not the consideration. That being said, I don't want him. I don't want a QB whose coaches and teammates don't respect.
the Bears are going to take a $20MM cap hit? you're certain of this?

Cutler is going to be cut. His contract is not the consideration. That being said, I don't want him. I don't want a QB whose coaches and teammates don't respect.
Under a new GM and coach they will. Heck we took a 17M cap hit with Fitzpatrick, you can spread it over two years. We are paying Fitzpatrick 7M this year.

Nah, I wouldn't have wanted since about his 3rd year, when it became apparent he had no heart.
This.

Under a new GM and coach they will. Heck we took a 17M cap hit with Fitzpatrick, you can spread it over two years. We are paying Fitzpatrick 7M this year.
The Bears don't have the Bills cap situation though.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-12-18/jay-cutler-contract-salary-cap-release-trade-options-bears-guaranteed-money-benched-clausen-trestman-emery

Bears roster: http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/chicago-bears/

Bills roster: http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-12-18/jay-cutler-contract-salary-cap-release-trade-options-bears-guaranteed-money-benched-clausen-trestman-emery

Who knows who the new GM will be and how they plan on restructuring contracts to avoid on the books cap hits. RG3 likely will cost less both in compensation and salary obviously. As long as it's not Orton or EJ I don't care.

RG3, Cutler, Bradford, Mallett, Sanchez, Foles - It's going to be an interesting off-season for sure.

Go beat Oakland! Get some help from a few teams this week!

Yes. He is done there. They are not going to pay $31M over the next 2 years to their backup QB. And no team Is trading anything for Cutler with those numbers either. They aren't going to have much choice. Their team is in a ton of trouble, but they're better off tearing it down to the bones and starting over.

Yes. He is done there. They are not going to pay $31M over the next 2 years to their backup QB. And no team Is trading anything for Cutler with those numbers either. They aren't going to have much choice. Their team is in a ton of trouble, but they're better off tearing it down to the bones and starting over.
well, since you can see the future. how much will it cost to sign Cutler?

also, what happens with Orton's 2015 player option?

well, since you can see the future. how much will it cost to sign Cutler?also, what happens with Orton's 2015 player option?
Cutler signs somewhere for around $6M a year. Not in Buffalo.

Orton stays in Buffalo but another FA vet is brought in to compete for starting job.

well, since you can see the future. how much will it cost to sign Cutler?also, what happens with Orton's 2015 player option?
Cutler signs somewhere for around $6M a year. Not in Buffalo.

Orton stays in Buffalo but another FA vet is brought in to compete for starting job.
No way- He'll get 10+ incentive based deal. Someone will give him starterish money.

Gottabesweet said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
Gottabesweet said:

Who knows who the new GM will be and how they plan on restructuring contracts to avoid on the books cap hits. RG3 likely will cost less both in compensation and salary obviously. As long as it's not Orton or EJ I don't care.

RG3, Cutler, Bradford, Mallett, Sanchez, Foles - It's going to be an interesting off-season for sure.

It's funny that Bradford might be the best option of that dung heap, except he'd last three quarters into week 1 behind the Bills o-line. Such a shame he's so injury prone. He could be a legit NFL starter.

Gottabesweet said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
Gottabesweet said:

It's funny that Bradford might be the best option of that dung heap, except he'd last three quarters into week 1 behind the Bills o-line. Such a shame he's so injury prone. He could be a legit NFL starter.
I'd be happy with Bradford and Manuel on the roster next year and let them battle it out for the starting job. If Bradford wins and gets hurt, then it's sink or swim time for Manuel.

I'd be happy with Bradford and Manuel on the roster next year and let them battle it out for the starting job. If Bradford wins and gets hurt, then it's sink or swim time for Manuel.
what happens to Orton in this scenario? can't see any way he doesn't pick up his option.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
what happens to Orton in this scenario? can't see any way he doesn't pick up his option.
Sorry, I had the impression that it was a team option. If it's Orton's option, then I guess he can force his hand. But if Buffalo brings in another QB to compete for the starting job, then Orton may not exercise that option and opt to go somewhere else.

What happens if he does exercise his option and Buffalo still doesn't want him? Couldn't they still waive him and take that as dead money against the cap? That's not ideal, but I don't think it would be a cap killer.

Hey Bills fans, any info on the deal with Watkins the last few weeks? Only one catch last week. Somehow I'm in the bowl but I'll be without Hilton and have Jeffrey and Hopkins with dreck at QB. I'd love to roll Sammy out there but has he hit the rookie wall?

Any info would help. Any congrats on the way your D is playing. I hope things are looking up,for you. I've always had a soft spot for Buffalo.

I'm an Eagles fan. I kinda know how you feel ;-)

Hey Bills fans, any info on the deal with Watkins the last few weeks? Only one catch last week. Somehow I'm in the bowl but I'll be without Hilton and have Jeffrey and Hopkins with dreck at QB. I'd love to roll Sammy out there but has he hit the rookie wall?

Any info would help. Any congrats on the way your D is playing. I hope things are looking up,for you. I've always had a soft spot for Buffalo.

I'm an Eagles fan. I kinda know how you feel ;-)
Watkins' inconsistency in the last 4-5 weeks appear to be from some nagging injuries, matches and poor QB play. The injuries seem to be getting better as he was effective two weeks ago against Denver. The QB play has been inconsistent all year, but he remains the #1 option in the passing game. He isn't a bad option as a WR3, but anything more than that is really rolling the dice.

You know what, I'd take RGIIi. Yeah, he regressed a lot, but I think that's in large part due to situation and poor coaching.

When he came out, everyone raved about how accurate he is and all of a sudden experts are tearing him apart due to accuracy issues. He had no accuracy problems his first year. It's possible that the accuracy problems are from the leg injuries, but that just leads me to believe even more that it can be corrected as he finally has been given a real chance to heal.

IMO, the Redskins have botched pretty much every possible thing they could have with Griffin and he's still more competent than Manuel and Orton.

His injury risk is a problem, but I'd take the chance.

You know what, I'd take RGIIi. Yeah, he regressed a lot, but I think that's in large part due to situation and poor coaching.

When he came out, everyone raved about how accurate he is and all of a sudden experts are tearing him apart due to accuracy issues. He had no accuracy problems his first year. It's possible that the accuracy problems are from the leg injuries, but that just leads me to believe even more that it can be corrected as he finally has been given a real chance to heal.

IMO, the Redskins have botched pretty much every possible thing they could have with Griffin and he's still more competent than Manuel and Orton.

His injury risk is a problem, but I'd take the chance.
I agree. I'd be much more willing to take a chance on RG3 than Cutler. Cutler has been a coach-killer everywhere he's been, but it seems to me that RG3 has gotten ####ed over by the only team he's played for. Granted, he might be a prima donna that our staff can't turn around, but I think Culter's a lost cause while RG3 isn't, so that makes this an easy call for me.

FYI Foles has a year left on his rookie deal. He's not going anywhere unless traded, and given how Sanchez has played recently, he's not getting traded.

Teams would line up for RGIII. I'll be shocked if he's moved, but would love to see him on the Bills.

So, I just woke up to see that Seattle came back to win last night. <_<

What's the most likely scenario to sneak into the playoffs? My thinking is Cincinnati losing both of their remaining games, to knock them out. Pittsburgh will probably get division and Baltimore wild card, in this scenario, as we need Pittsburgh to beat both KC, and Cinci. That loss by KC would knock them out. But, we'd still need them to beat San Diego next week. Oh, and all Buffalo has to do is beat the Raiders and Patriots, who will almost certainly be playing for the top seed.

So...

Week 16:

Bills beat Raiders

Steelers beat KC

Denver beat Cinci

Week 17:

Bills beat NE

KC beat SD

Steelers beat Bengals

That would yield:

Pittsburgh 11-5 (Division)

Baltimore 11-5 (Maybe 10-6)

Buffalo 10-6

SD 9-7

KC 9-7

Anyone see any other plausible opportunities? (I don't really see Baltimore losing two, considering their schedule. (@Hou, vsCle), though I suppose it's possible.)

Teams would line up for RGIII. I'll be shocked if he's moved, but would love to see him on the Bills.
While I think RGIII is quickly starting to take a very Cutler-esque path (lack of emotion, apathetic, locker room problem, etc.) I agree with the rest that he'd be be MUCH more worth a shot than Cutler.

So, I just woke up to see that Seattle came back to win last night. <_<

What's the most likely scenario to sneak into the playoffs? My thinking is Cincinnati losing both of their remaining games, to knock them out. Pittsburgh will probably get division and Baltimore wild card, in this scenario, as we need Pittsburgh to beat both KC, and Cinci. That loss by KC would knock them out. But, we'd still need them to beat San Diego next week. Oh, and all Buffalo has to do is beat the Raiders and Patriots, who will almost certainly be playing for the top seed.

So...

Week 16:

Bills beat Raiders

Steelers beat KC

Denver beat Cinci

Week 17:

Bills beat NE

KC beat SD

Steelers beat Bengals

That would yield:I

Pittsburgh 11-5 (Division)

Baltimore 11-5 (Maybe 10-6)

Buffalo 10-6

SD 9-7

KC 9-7

Anyone see any other plausible opportunities? (I don't really see Baltimore losing two, considering their schedule. (@Hou, vsCle), though I suppose it's possible.)
That is correct. If Bengals, Steelers and Ravens all win this week, it's over for the Bills no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread