What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (4 Viewers)

Jets fan here. What were some of the things you guys liked or didn't like about Marrone?
Disliked:

- old-school conservative decision-maker; frequently punts on 4th and short in opposing territory

- no real concept of "analytics"

- kinda comes off like a blowhard #######

- offense (his specialty), namely offensive line (his specialty) failed miserably, including abject failure to utilize CJ Spiller - and to an extent, Sammy Watkins. Offense took a huge step back when he came in and Chan Gailey left.

- openly feuded with upper management and came off like a petulant child at times, IMO (see the Orton signing debacle). I get the sense that he and GM Doug Whaley hate each other.

Liked:

- first winning season in years

- players didn't give up on him especially when the heat was on earlier in the season

- wasn't afraid to pull the trigger to put Orton in and bench EJ when it was clear EJ wasn't progressing quickly enough

- seemed to handle the pressure of head coaching pretty well, kept a level-head in the media when there was talk of him being fired regularly
lots of talking heads think there will be a big demand for Marrone, so he cashed out and can probably land a good job

Last edited by a moderator:
Credit to his agent/lawyer/whomever for getting that clause in his contract when he signed with Buffalo. He gets to walk away with his full $4 million 2015 salary with no offset if he lands a gig elsewhere? Genius.

I'm guessing Marrone carried that $4 mil hammer into the owner and when he didn't get what he wanted (a contract extension with some long-term security, more control over personnel, a guarantee that EJ wouldn't be the starting QB next year, etc) he just took his cash and walked. Kind of a no-brainer really. Sure beats getting canned at this time next year because that team isn't winning playoff games in 2015 and new ownership is always quick to get "their guys" in place anyway.

Did Buddy Nix and Jim Overdorf and Russ Brandon give him this terrible clause in the contract? Whoever it was, they deserve to take a lot of heat for that.

Fortunately for them, Terry Pegula might not sweat blowing $4MM as much as some would.

Jets fan here. What were some of the things you guys liked or didn't like about Marrone?
Disliked:

- old-school conservative decision-maker; frequently punts on 4th and short in opposing territory

- no real concept of "analytics"

- kinda comes off like a blowhard #######

- offense (his specialty), namely offensive line (his specialty) failed miserably, including abject failure to utilize CJ Spiller - and to an extent, Sammy Watkins. Offense took a huge step back when he came in and Chan Gailey left.

- openly feuded with upper management and came off like a petulant child at times, IMO (see the Orton signing debacle). I get the sense that he and GM Doug Whaley hate each other.

Liked:

- first winning season in years

- players didn't give up on him especially when the heat was on earlier in the season

- wasn't afraid to pull the trigger to put Orton in and bench EJ when it was clear EJ wasn't progressing quickly enough

- seemed to handle the pressure of head coaching pretty well, kept a level-head in the media when there was talk of him being fired regularly
lots of talking heads think there will be a big demand for Marrone, so he cashed out and can probably land a good job
I find it hard to believe he walks away unless he has something already basically lined up. The Jets seem to make a lot of sense. He's a former Jets coach, he's from the Bronx, they're looking for a head coach. I like to think the Jets are certainly a step-down from where the Bills are right now, but I could see making that move, especially with $4 million extra in his pocket.

Did Buddy Nix and Jim Overdorf and Russ Brandon give him this terrible clause in the contract? Whoever it was, they deserve to take a lot of heat for that.

Fortunately for them, Terry Pegula might not sweat blowing $4MM as much as some would.
This isn't meant as a shot at Ralph Wilson personally or anything, but I've always thought that his advanced age and the uncertainty that that brings was a huge part of why we had to settle for guys like Jauron and Chailey and Marrone in the first place. The fact that we had to include a clause like this to attract a relative nobody at the time really drives home how much that uncertainty was holding this team back.

Again, not a criticism of RW who obviously couldn't help but grow old. It's great that his estate kept the team in Buffalo, so it all worked out.

I find it hard to believe he walks away unless he has something already basically lined up. The Jets seem to make a lot of sense. He's a former Jets coach, he's from the Bronx, they're looking for a head coach. I like to think the Jets are certainly a step-down from where the Bills are right now, but I could see making that move, especially with $4 million extra in his pocket.
I think we'd all like to see what Hackett can do with a Geno Smith-led offense.

Lot of hate for a guy who had a decent season. Coaches are fired all the time and he was probably thinking there was a good chance that he's fired once a new President comes in. I have no problem with a coach leaving in his situation.

Lot of hate for a guy who had a decent season. Coaches are fired all the time and he was probably thinking there was a good chance that he's fired once a new President comes in. I have no problem with a coach leaving in his situation.
it was a decent season that could/should have been better. the main reason for their success was obviously the defense, which I'm not sure he should get much credit for.

HC - Rex (unless they can scoop the Seattle DC, Dan Quinn)

OC - Trestman

Bringing in Trestman might cancel out bringing in Cutler but ole Jay doesn't seem like he's getting much love anyways.

Why Marrone left his job with the Bills

So why would Doug Marrone do it? Why would he walk away from his head-coaching job with the Buffalo Bills?

Here are a couple of major reasons, gathered during a wild New Year's Eve of making phone calls and texting in the wake of Marrone's decision to exercise his right to opt out of his contract with the Bills.

A big one was the uncertainty over who the Bills would bring in to oversee their football operation, which is something team owners Terry and Kim Pegula plan to do in the near future.

Marrone apparently was happy with the organizational structure that had him reporting directly to ownership. According to NFL sources, he did not like the idea of having another layer separating him from the owners, especially without knowing that person's philosophy. And this apparently applies to the man frequently mentioned for that role, Bill Polian, even though the former Bills general manager thinks highly of Marrone as a coach.

Another factor was Marrone's relationship with the local media. He was said to be upset with what he saw as constant criticism and a general lack of support. He was particularly infuriated by the questions raised about whether he should remain as the Bills' coach after the team recorded one of the biggest victories in franchise history against Green Bay.
Lots of people complain about the Buffalo media. They do tend to be very negative, but I'm not sure they were particularly unfair with regard to Marrone. Not sure how Marrone would expect to be treated better in a market like NYC.

HC - Rex (unless they can scoop the Seattle DC, Dan Quinn)

OC - Trestman

Bringing in Trestman might cancel out bringing in Cutler but ole Jay doesn't seem like he's getting much love anyways.
People in Chicago think the Bears are hiring Mike Shanahan so they'd probably hold onto Cutler in that scenario.

it was a decent season that could/should have been better. the main reason for their success was obviously the defense, which I'm not sure he should get much credit for.
Crappy line, no TE, average rbs, bad qbs. Basically they had Watkins on offense. There was definitely some problems but nobody was doing anything with that offense. You seem to be taking it personally.

The thing is, if he waits a month to get fired, all the coordinator and college jobs will be filled by then. Seems like a smart move to me. When there's changes at the top they always want their own head coach brought in.

Crappy line, no TE, average rbs, bad qbs. Basically they had Watkins on offense. There was definitely some problems but nobody was doing anything with that offense. You seem to be taking it personally.

The thing is, if he waits a month to get fired, all the coordinator and college jobs will be filled by then. Seems like a smart move to me. When there's changes at the top they always want their own head coach brought in.
he was an offensive line expert. don't you hold him responsible if that area is a major weak spot? they had two anchors in Glenn and Wood and went out to sign an OG in free agency and drafted an OT in round 2. not like they didn't give him players to work with, and I assume he had input there as well.

the RBs were not considered average by most. Jackson, Spiller, Dixon, Brown were probably one of the deepest groups of RB talent in the NFL. Chan Gailey certainly got a ton more production out of Jackson/Spiller.

the QBs were bad, but Marrone likely played a key role in them drafting Manuel. Coaches don't take blame if they can't develop a 1st round QB?

Watkins, Woods, M.Williams, Goodwin were a pretty explosive group of WRs yet the team never threw downfield.

I'm taking it personally? not even close to true. I was fine with him sticking around as I think the team was getting better and I wanted to make sure the defense was kept intact.

they lost some games they should have won. won some games they maybe should/could have lost. overall, I was ok with the year they had. it wasn't great but wasn't terrible either.

I'm surprised, but I guess I really shouldn't be- he's still getting paid, and his "market value" might never be higher. Let someone else overpay for him (if he gets it).

This and Orton retiring are addition by subtraction IMO.

I'm glad this happened now so we don't have to talk about Marrone all offseason. He's gone now we can look forward and discuss the future of the team.

One thing is for certain and that's they need to get moving on making decisions. If they are going to hire a team president it has to happen right away. I personally prefer when the HC is less hands on and let's his coordinators handle their side of the ball. There's a lot tough moves that need to be addressed and with the Bills seemly on the verge of being a playoff team I don't want it to be squandered away because the had to just take what they could get and scramble through the offseason. It would be painful to have to hear the "R" word because they screwed around with non-player signings and the team took 2-3 years to find it's direction and start to execute it's new vision.

What about Josh McDaniel's as the HC? I'm not really a fan but my buddy sent me text suggesting him. I'm not sure if I would like that. I have a bit of a soft spot for Trestman but otherwise I wouldn't mind seeing a college coach brought in to OC. Maybe steal Mark Helfrich from Oregon if possible. Still like Quinn as the HC though. Bring in a winning coach.

Whoo Hoo!!! Happy New Year indeed :excited:

Smart move on his part....he gets paid..then gets paid by his new job also. And the writing was on the wall in Buffalo,now he can claim it was his call.

What about Josh McDaniel's as the HC? I'm not really a fan but my buddy sent me text suggesting him. I'm not sure if I would like that. I have a bit of a soft spot for Trestman but otherwise I wouldn't mind seeing a college coach brought in to OC. Maybe steal Mark Helfrich from Oregon if possible. Still like Quinn as the HC though. Bring in a winning coach.
If the reports of Bill Polian joining the FO are true, then Frank Reich seems extremely likely to be our next HC. It's not like Polian isn't familiar with him or anything. The Polian-Reich thing makes a lot of sense especially considering that the Polian rumors started at least a week ago. I know Polian apparently thought highly of Marrone, but we know he also likes Reich a lot.

Obviously you don't know what you're getting with Frank Reich, and it makes me a little uneasy since this is starting to sound a little like Marv Levy's return to Buffalo, but on the plus side, Reich has an excellent shot at being a HC someday for somebody if not us. It's not like we would be scooping him out of obscurity (Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey) or hiring a retread (**** Jauron, Chan Gailey). I think my misgivings are mainly driven by the emotional connection to Reich the player.

A win at Oakland would have put them at 10-6. They had a good season, they had a better season then a team in the playoffs in Carolina.

I am a moderate supporter of the Bills since the 90s. I dont feel the enjoyment of Marrone leaving like others do but I do understand how some are bitter or upset.

There are rumors (Tim Graham being one reporting it) that one of the reasons Marrone left is because he didn't like the media treatment of him.

:lmao:

I really REALLY want the Jets to hire him.

It's hilarious to me that all his pals in the national media keep defending him and his decision by pointing out the lack of a QB in Buffalo. Uh....pretty sure the Jets are in the same position with a worse all around offense and team.

And if Marrone thinks the Buffalo media is bad...oh man. Does anyone really think that Marrone would be an improvement over Rex Ryan?

There is something really exciting about this happening on the last day of the calendar year!

Today.....the first day of a new year......the beginning of new beginnings.

I love fresh starts.

There are rumors (Tim Graham being one reporting it) that one of the reasons Marrone left is because he didn't like the media treatment of him.

It's hilarious to me that all his pals in the national media keep defending him and his decision by pointing out the lack of a QB in Buffalo. Uh....pretty sure the Jets are in the same position with a worse all around offense and team.

And if Marrone thinks the Buffalo media is bad...oh man. Does anyone really think that Marrone would be an improvement over Rex Ryan?
Why the hostility? If you dont like Marrone you should sound happier not this bitter. Just because a coach made a business decision? He didnt want to coach the Bills anymore. No different then you leaving your job for a better opportunity.

Why the hostility? If you dont like Marrone you should sound happier not this bitter. Just because a coach made a business decision? He didnt want to coach the Bills anymore. No different then you leaving your job for a better opportunity.
I have no particular animosity toward Marrone at all, and honestly it made a lot of financial sense for him to do what he did.

That said, GB GD is absolutely right that it's funny as hell for somebody to feel slighted by the Buffalo media and then turn around and take the Jets job. I can see Jerry Sullivan getting under somebody's skin after a while, but you don't expect really expect kid gloves from the Post, right?

I'm in the same boat as most of you about Marrone. He was "good enough" to get us to 9-7, but I don't see him as the type to ever win a chess match against Belichick. I'd love to see continuity on defense with Schwartz and a more creative and aggressive approach to the offense.

After letting it sink in for a bit, I think I'd describe my mood after this Marrone move to be cautiously optimistic. Like I said yesterday, there was a lot I didn't like about his coaching, but I did genuinely think that - at least at times - the Bills were winning in spite of the coaching. But when you're so low as a franchise, it's tough to really feel ecstatic about losing a coach when you've just had a rare winning season.

I don't think I'll hold him in contempt like that Joe Buscaglia article indicates that a lot of Bills fans will. I don't hate Doug Marrone. I just think there's better coaches to be had. If the stories are true, he tried to make a power play - and I certainly don't blame him for that - and good for the ownership for sticking to their guns. If ownership really felt that he was a long-term future superstar head coach, they give in to his demands....it just wasn't a fit. I wish him well wherever he goes, but I secretly hope it's the Jets because I really just don't think he's a great NFL head coach. Is he the worst head coach in the NFL? No. But I'm certainly not expecting a Belichick-esque turnaround where we're talking about him as one of the all-time greats 15 years down the line.

I like the comparison to this feeling like the return of Marv Levy with the whole Polian/Reich thing. Let's not forget Terry Pegula's emotional breakdown (which was ####### awesome) when he cried about the Sabres history and growing up a fan.....and then he shortly afterward brought in fan favorite former-star Pat LaFontaine into the front office, which bombed miserably. I'm not sure there's any real connection between these two - and I don't think he holds the same affinity for the Bills as he does the Sabres - but he has shown a little bit of a record of looking to the past to fix the future.

Either way, I'm excited to let the coaching carousel begin. The Bills are coming off a winning season with a ridiculous defense and a lot of good offensive pieces in place. The shadow of Ralph's failing health and the joke of the Toronto series don't loom over the team any more. How good of a job is the Bills head coaching job? Can they land a splash hire? Or is it still a dud head coaching job like it has been for the past decade? I guess we'll see.

The team has no QB. None on the horizon either. I'd run too before the inevitable firing. What a waste of a really good defense.

There's good ways to do things and bad ways to do things. Marrone treated the media and fans with contempt. He also treated some players quite poorly.

Lastly, when Chan Bailey was fired, he asked for the opportunity to address the players before it was announced. Marrone never even contacted players, he never thanked the fans, never thanked the organization, nothing.

He also made sure to get out the word to all his media buddies that share the same agent so that they could all line up and trot out the same lines about how great he is, how bad the Buffalo situation is, and how desired he'll be by other teams.

Maybe it's petty, but I already wasn't a fan and his lack of class on the way out rubs me the wrong way and that's why I'm happy to throw dirt on the grave.

The team has no QB. None on the horizon either. I'd run too before the inevitable firing. What a waste of a really good defense.
This year doesn't look good for acquiring a QB, but it's one year. I can see how that was a problem for Marrone with only one year left on his contract, but it's only a long term issue in that they are starting over from scratch. But that would likely be the case anyway. Even if they had a first round pick this year, would they be able to draft Winston or Mariotta? Would we really want them to?

And let's be honest, a ton of the blame for Manuel's problems are due to Marrone. Marrone drilled into him to not take chances and not turn the ball over at all costs. That lead to Manuel being constantly being slow in pulling the trigger because he was afraid to make a mistake. It messed with his mechanics. It lead to tons of dumpoffs when guys were open down field. There's no question in my mind that Marrone took a guy that was a project and actually set him back further. He should have been encouraged to sling the ball from the moment he stepped foot into camp. All the greats made lots of mistakes their rookie year. But being confident while learning from those mistakes is infinitely better than scaring a QB into being a loser.

This is probably a good thing for you guys. EJ is not the answer and keeping the band together another year would be asking for another onslaught of short sighted moves in an attempt to win despite him this year. Yeah, whoever comes in may be stuck with him this year, but if he is that bad the new guys won't fall on the sword; they will get an opportunity to re group with a new qb.

Really need to center their attention on all things offense with their resources available this year. Get their 2016 qb coming into a good situation.

WGR is a classic. But no different then any other city, as I work in Chicago and listen to almost the same thing there.

They have this guy "Murph" who basically :tebow: blows (sunshine) every player and coach in the organization. Everything is positive. Everyone is great. All sit around and sing kumbaya because I am paid by the Bills.

Then you have some commentators, specifically the drive home guy (Schopp), who do whatever they can to spew negativity. Not just with the Bills but the Sabres as well. Always trying to influence the masses with his views….and only his views count as you know if you are from Buffalo.

But all in all what WGR does is no different than any other city sports radio/talk does.

Good luck finding a Murph in every city Marronne!! Don't let the door hit you in the ### on the way out.

Polian / Bill Cowher combo coming in to town.

WGR is a classic. But no different then any other city, as I work in Chicago and listen to almost the same thing there.

They have this guy "Murph" who basically :tebow: blows (sunshine) every player and coach in the organization. Everything is positive. Everyone is great. All sit around and sing kumbaya because I am paid by the Bills.

Then you have some commentators, specifically the drive home guy (Schopp), who do whatever they can to spew negativity. Not just with the Bills but the Sabres as well. Always trying to influence the masses with his views….and only his views count as you know if you are from Buffalo.

But all in all what WGR does is no different than any other city sports radio/talk does.

Good luck finding a Murph in every city Marronne!! Don't let the door hit you in the ### on the way out.

To be fair to WGR, John Murphy is employed by the Buffalo Bills Radio Network. I don't really fully understand the relationship between WGR and the BBRN, but I believe he's under separate ownership/management than the other WGR personalities. It would make more sense that he "blows sunshine" all day on the Bills, moreso than the other guys.

I can barely stand to listen to the John Murphy Show. You'd think the Bills were challenging for the Super Bowl every year from the non-stop rosy picture he paints.

Why on earth are the Bills going to push Whaley out the door after all of the talent he has brought into the organization in the last 3 years? Bill Polian's track record is long and unquestionable, but he's also a very old man, particularly by NFL standards and won't be around for the long-term.

I'm happy that the Bills have a new owner that is committed to keeping them in town, but his track record with the Sabres isn't a lot to envy and I don't really get the return to the 90's nostalgia.

Western New York just seems perpetually stuck 23 years in the past.

To be fair to WGR, John Murphy is employed by the Buffalo Bills Radio Network. I don't really fully understand the relationship between WGR and the BBRN, but I believe he's under separate ownership/management than the other WGR personalities. It would make more sense that he "blows sunshine" all day on the Bills, moreso than the other guys.

I can barely stand to listen to the John Murphy Show. You'd think the Bills were challenging for the Super Bowl every year from the non-stop rosy picture he paints.
:shrug:

Not everyone has to see the world like Jerry Sullivan nor does everyone want to listen to Jerry Sullivan every day.

A win at Oakland would have put them at 10-6. They had a good season, they had a better season then a team in the playoffs in Carolina.

I am a moderate supporter of the Bills since the 90s. I dont feel the enjoyment of Marrone leaving like others do but I do understand how some are bitter or upset.
Zero bitterness here. Why are you playing the hypothetical game only with a game they were down by 9pts before a garbage-time TD? What about a glorified preseason game vs NE, or Detroit missing 3 FGs, or a buzzer beater vs Minnesota, or OT in Chicago....

Much closer to 7-9 than 10-6.

Why on earth are the Bills going to push Whaley out the door after all of the talent he has brought into the organization in the last 3 years? Bill Polian's track record is long and unquestionable, but he's also a very old man, particularly by NFL standards and won't be around for the long-term.

I'm happy that the Bills have a new owner that is committed to keeping them in town, but his track record with the Sabres isn't a lot to envy and I don't really get the return to the 90's nostalgia.

I do agree that if Polian coming in means Whaley is out, that's a bad thing. If it means he'll be in charge of a broader picture while Whaley works with him to hire a HC and Whaley is allowed to make all personnel decisions, then I'm OK.

If Polian is being brought in to clear out Overdorf, etc, then that's a very good thing IMO.

this article does a pretty good job of summarizing the issues that Bills fans have with Marrone:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/12/31/marrones-winning-season-left-few-satisfied/

one part:

The offensive struggles, however, weren’t limited to the quarterback. The team’s offensive line regressed badly in 2014. Marrone, a former journeyman offensive lineman himself, worked as closely with that unit as any on the team at practices.

The Bills rushed for 1,482 yards in 2014 – a franchise low for 16 games. Their paltry average of 3.7 yards per rush was tied for 26th in the NFL.

Running back C.J. Spiller – an explosive playmaker under former coach Chan Gailey – could never get going under Marrone. In the past two seasons, Spiller’s output – 280 attempts, 1,233 yards, 52 receptions, 310 yards and three touchdowns – doesn’t match what he produced in 2012 (207 carries, 1,244 yards, 43 catches, 459 yards, eight total touchdowns).

I do agree that if Polian coming in means Whaley is out, that's a bad thing. If it means he'll be in charge of a broader picture while Whaley works with him to hire a HC and Whaley is allowed to make all personnel decisions, then I'm OK.

If Polian is being brought in to clear out Overdorf, etc, then that's a very good thing IMO.
Those guys have been there since Polian... I think they were even hired by him. I don't think that there ouster would be first on his list of things to do.

Users who are viewing this thread