What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (5 Viewers)

Tyrod Taylor may have a legit shot at winning the QB battle. The biggest criticism I've seen of him so far is that he leaves the pocket too early. But it sounds like he's making impressive throws a lot more often than everyone else.
I have been to two practices so far. I believe it's Cassels job to lose. And he will lose it due to his lack of the long ball. Predicting it will be EJ !!!!!!

Question for those that attend camp.

Is it the norm for QBs to be perfect throwing to WRs with no defenders or can they occassionally have an off night or miss a few throws? I assume Manuel doesnt always miss these throws or we would have heard about it by now.

There was a lot of buzz about these missed throws early but then he followed it up with a good practice (based in tweets)

I just wonder if this is a case of confirmation bias and the people/media? who want EJ to fail so they can be right see only the negative.
I would think an NFL QB shouldn't be missing WRs by 8-15 yards in drills. That's not even close.
Not trying to be a smart ###, but is it possible he thought they were running a different route? I mean seriously, missing that badly is the type of stuff that means he should be cut... Like today.

Question for those that attend camp.

Is it the norm for QBs to be perfect throwing to WRs with no defenders or can they occassionally have an off night or miss a few throws? I assume Manuel doesnt always miss these throws or we would have heard about it by now.

There was a lot of buzz about these missed throws early but then he followed it up with a good practice (based in tweets)

I just wonder if this is a case of confirmation bias and the people/media? who want EJ to fail so they can be right see only the negative.
I would think an NFL QB shouldn't be missing WRs by 8-15 yards in drills. That's not even close.
Not trying to be a smart ###, but is it possible he thought they were running a different route? I mean seriously, missing that badly is the type of stuff that means he should be cut... Like today.
In passing drills against air, if he doesn't know what route they are running, we have even bigger problems.

Here's a list of the remaining FA QBs. I would have to think that some (if not all) of them should be brought in for try outs. I don't know how that would work with the cap though. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/available/

Is there any undrafted rookie QBs from this year that they can bring in?
Orton and Campbell are there because they retired. Cross them out, and do you really think Lindley or Jordan Palmer would add any clarity in Buffalo?That leaves the only intriguing name on the list as Michael Vick...whether that option is attractive likely depends on how you viewed his "not ready to play, just wanted to hold a clipboard and collect paychecks" attitude from when he last held a job. Would bringing him in as a starter be enough for him to give you everything left in his tank? And what does he have left...

Pretty rare these days when a starter-worthy QB is available for free. Maybe they should be looking to trade for Glennon, Mettenberger, Cousins, or your favorite second stringer elsewhere. Would that be any better than Taylor though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a list of the remaining FA QBs. I would have to think that some (if not all) of them should be brought in for try outs. I don't know how that would work with the cap though.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/available/

I can't believe Kevin Rodgers is sitting sit there unsigned. He was awesome in those discount double-check commercials. We should bring that guy in for sure.

Maybe they should be looking to trade for Glennon, Mettenberger, Cousins, or your favorite second stringer elsewhere. Would that be any better than Taylor though...
Glennon or Mett would be dream come true situation. This got me thinking about how many backups there are out there that are probably better than the entire group in Buf. That list is remarkably long. Ouch!

Quickly off the top of my head;

Schaub

D. Anderson

Weeden

Osweiler

Hence

Sanchez

Mettinberger

Glennon

There's probably a couple more but that's at least 8 guys riding the pine better than anyone Buf can start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a list of the remaining FA QBs. I would have to think that some (if not all) of them should be brought in for try outs. I don't know how that would work with the cap though. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/available/

Orton and Campbell are there because they retired. Cross them out, and do you really think Lindley or Jordan Palmer would add any clarity in Buffalo?That leaves the only intriguing name on the list as Michael Vick...whether that option is attractive likely depends on how you viewed his "not ready to play, just wanted to hold a clipboard and collect paychecks" attitude from when he last held a job. Would bringing him in as a starter be enough for him to give you everything left in his tank? And what does he have left...

Pretty rare these days when a starter-worthy QB is available for free. Maybe they should be looking to trade for Glennon, Mettenberger, Cousins, or your favorite second stringer elsewhere. Would that be any better than Taylor though...
Vick looked like total crap last season and Rex Ryan had a front row seat for his performance.

Maybe they should be looking to trade for Glennon, Mettenberger, Cousins, or your favorite second stringer elsewhere. Would that be any better than Taylor though...
Glennon or Mett would be dream come true situation.This got me thinking about how many backups there are out there that are probably better than the entire group in Buf. That list is remarkably long. Ouch!

Schaub

D. Anderson

Weeden

Osweiler

Hence

Sanchez

Mettinberger

Glennon

There's probably a couple more but that's at least 8 guys riding the pine better than anyone Buf can start.
I'd add Ryan Fitzpatrick (although he may be better than his team's starter as well), Matt Moore, Jimmy Garrapolo, Drew Stanton, Kirk Cousins, and whoever loses the battle in Houston to that list - although some may be debateable.

I looked through the rookie seasons of every current starter.

If you take out a couple guys who sat for years (Rivers and Rodgers) the rest had similar rookie seasons to EJ with the exception of Luck, RG3, Newton, Wilson and Bridgewater.

Most other QBs HAD STATS similar to EJ at this point in their career. Some of them of course were way ahead of him coming into the league (Peyton).

I just think expectations are way too high if we expect him to start better than all but those handful of guys listed above...particularly with the coaching staff he had and the fact he was pulled after that Hou game....that held Flacco to even worse stats behind a better Oline.

Hell, if Stevie Johnson holds on to that ball against NE in the 2013 opener, Manuel starts out beating NE at home and this whole dialogue is different.

I know EJ will not be given a fair shot....I just hope Taylor does not win the job because "Rex likes him"

It's much more than just the stats with EJ. How many of those guys are missing their targets- in practice no less- not by inches, not by feet, but by yards?

You'll also leaving out that he had all of the same shortcomings in college, where most of the current starters did not.

In drills against no defenders in practice tonight, Manuel was missing receivers by 10-15 YARDS. He's done. Might as well cut him at this point. He's a lost cause.

Cassel will be the starting QB.

The Bills need to do everything in their power to accumulate draft picks for next year to be able to draft multiple QBs.
Wow. He was never this bad before. Marrone screwed him up royally.

Dr. Octopus said:
jurb26 said:
Arodin said:
Glennon or Mett would be dream come true situation.This got me thinking about how many backups there are out there that are probably better than the entire group in Buf. That list is remarkably long. Ouch!

Schaub

D. Anderson

Weeden

Osweiler

Hence

Sanchez

Mettinberger

Glennon

I'd add Ryan Fitzpatrick (although he may be better than his team's starter as well), Matt Moore, Jimmy Garrapolo, Drew Stanton, Kirk Cousins, and whoever loses the battle in Houston to that list - although some may be debateable.
Not sure Weeden or Schaub (by now) are necessarily upgrades. And some of these we honestly have no idea if they would be or not (Osweiler, Garrapolo). But it is a frighteningly long list of players with more POTENTIAL to be decent than any of Buffalo's crew.

Does Favre want to come back again?

Ideal Situation:

Taylor or EJ play so well that they unseat the front runner (Matt Cassel) and prove to be a competent starting QB

(Likelihood - low)

Serviceable Situation:

Matt Cassel holds on to the job and ends up being equal to or slightly better than the production that we saw with Kyle Orton last year.

(Likelihood - medium)

Worst Case Scenario:

All 3 QBs are pathetic. The season consists of constant shuffling of incompetent boobs at the QB position (including at least one journeyman who isn't on the team yet).

(Likelihood - high)

That should give a boost of confidence to the guys on the roster.
Yeah, that's the sort of thing that a GM should probably keep to himself, but on the other hand he's absolutely right. For the past decade or so, the Bills have been bad enough to not have to worry about the playoffs, but not bad enough to land a top-end QB in the draft. It's hard to be better than mediocre when you don't have a QB, but mediocre isn't bad enough to get you a QB.

I really thought Mettenberger looked good at times last year. Has all the tools. Real young too. Wonder how much he would cost? How much would we be willing to give up to get a starting QB? Would Glennon or even Sanchez be cheaper?

Stephen A just said the Jets will pass us and we will be last in the division (per my twitter feeds)

Haven't watched any today however.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing that a GM should probably keep to himself, but on the other hand he's absolutely right. For the past decade or so, the Bills have been bad enough to not have to worry about the playoffs, but not bad enough to land a top-end QB in the draft. It's hard to be better than mediocre when you don't have a QB, but mediocre isn't bad enough to get you a QB.
This is the downside to them winning one or two meaningless games towards the end of the season- they don't even know how to tank properly.

That being said, while having a top 2 pick obviously makes it easier, it certainly isn't a requirement. Plenty of starting NFL QBs have been drafted much later than that- the Bills problem is that they haven't even tried to find one in the draft outside of the horrendous EJ pick.

This is the downside to them winning one or two meaningless games towards the end of the season- they don't even know how to tank properly.

That being said, while having a top 2 pick obviously makes it easier, it certainly isn't a requirement. Plenty of starting NFL QBs have been drafted much later than that- the Bills problem is that they haven't even tried to find one in the draft outside of the horrendous EJ pick.
Well, and there's that part, too. Good point.

At this point, I would take Johnny Manziel if the Browns would give him up relatively cheaply. Still feel he has potential as a pro.

Out of what we've got, I think Taylor is the guy. He may not have taken many snaps in his pro career but at least he is not already a bust.

You know you've got a problem when you're looking longingly at Tebow and Manziel.
:lmao: Boy, isn't that the truth!

I have no idea if TB or Tenn are willing to move Glennon or Mett, but those are the guys I'd have at the top of my list if I were Buf. I think both can be capable starters. What would it really take to get that done, a 3rd? Hell, Buf is really on the cusp a 2nd shouldn't be an issue.

I think a lot of these QBs being mentioned are simply a case of "grass is greener" syndrome. I mean, the guy who holds the record for most INTs in a game actually got mentioned as a better option. Come on now.

I think a lot of these QBs being mentioned are simply a case of "grass is greener" syndrome. I mean, the guy who holds the record for most INTs in a game actually got mentioned as a better option. Come on now.
Who are you thinking of? Ty Detmer looks like the most recent player to throw 7 ints in a game, and that was 14 years ago.

Plus, the list includes Ken Stabler, who some folks think should be in the Hall of Fame. Not to mention a guy named Peyton who is only 1 INT off the pace...

Who are you thinking of? Ty Detmer looks like the most recent player to throw 7 ints in a game, and that was 14 years ago.

Plus, the list includes Ken Stabler, who some folks think should be in the Hall of Fame. Not to mention a guy named Peyton who is only 1 INT off the pace...
I don't know what I was thinking. For some reason I thought Derek Anderson held some sort of INT record in a game. Either way, he sucks.

Whaley really did bury his team though. Pretty crappy statements. That's something you can say as a GM after the season is over, not before it had even begun.

And what's with the talk of drafting in the teens by him? Talk about demeaning to the team.

Ideal Situation:

Taylor or EJ play so well that they unseat the front runner (Matt Cassel) and prove to be a competent starting QB

(Likelihood - low)

Serviceable Situation:

Matt Cassel holds on to the job and ends up being equal to or slightly better than the production that we saw with Kyle Orton last year.

(Likelihood - medium)

Worst Case Scenario:

All 3 QBs are pathetic. The season consists of constant shuffling of incompetent boobs at the QB position (including at least one journeyman who isn't on the team yet).

(Likelihood - high)
This.

I never thought I'd say that I'd love to see Fitzpatrick back, but I would. I also wish the team would look into Kirk Cousins. Washington seems to be meh on him, but he'd be an enormous upgrade for Buffalo. I don't know what kind of a trade would have to happen to get him there or if that's even realistic, though.

Don't look now, but Tyrod Taylor has been the best QB of the bunch 3 days in a row now. And from the sound of it, he's earned it rather than just being the best of a bad bunch. He's been getting a decent number of first team reps in there, so it's not like it's all against a bunch of scrubs.

"This will probably play out and Indianapolis might not know who the quarterback is until we play them," Ryan said, referencing his Week 1 opponent. "We may know but they may not know."
Might we see the first QBBC since Spurrier retired? Would that be a terrible plan?

Hagger said:
Ideal Situation:

(Likelihood - low)

Serviceable Situation:

(Likelihood - medium)

Worst Case Scenario:

(Likelihood - high)
This.

I never thought I'd say that I'd love to see Fitzpatrick back, but I would. I also wish the team would look into Kirk Cousins. Washington seems to be meh on him, but he'd be an enormous upgrade for Buffalo. I don't know what kind of a trade would have to happen to get him there or if that's even realistic, though.
This. I think Cousins was solid with the right coaching, but struggled like the rest of Washington without it.

Think the kid could be had for a 3rd rounder? Hell, I wouldn't complain if they sent a 3rd and 5th for him. But knowing this team, they'd get fleeced and send a 1st rounder for him.

On second thought, let's just stick with Tyrod and maybe make a Faustian deal with the devil or something.

:lmao:

This signing is awesome for trolling purposes if nothing else. Maybe a few years from now Rex's act will have worn thin -- I know it did with certain segments of the Jets community -- but for now I'm just happy that our team has a clear identity, even if it's a little bit of a circus. But that's what you expect with Rex.

Welcome to the Rex Ryan show... Although not a Jets fan, living in NY it was enjoyable to follow. Unfortunately his antics won't be followed as closely this year in NYC, but I'll do my best to keep up.

After a 7-9 season this year, expect a Super Bowl guarantee on the cover of your local Buffalo paper next year :thumbup:

:lmao:

This signing is awesome for trolling purposes if nothing else. Maybe a few years from now Rex's act will have worn thin -- I know it did with certain segments of the Jets community -- but for now I'm just happy that our team has a clear identity, even if it's a little bit of a circus. But that's what you expect with Rex.
If this 6th round pick who did nothing last year (with Rex) stays out of trouble and miraculously becomes a key part of one of the best defenses in the NFL, then this will be a good move. In the much more likely scenario where he doesn't, it's a dumb move.

Rex's act will wear thin much quicker than "a few years" if they don't win early.

Next thing you know the Sabres will be signing Matt Cooke. Hey, we're desperate for playoffs in WNY but this is a joke. Unless dude has talent only known to Rex, is a QB or has a tattoo of Rex's wife this is embarrassing....especially this soon after..as if dude is some kind of prize. Rex still deflecting media from Jets players onto himself....

I want to still like Rex and hope he does well, but this is a classless act and it's pretty disturbing that a guy like that doesn't even suffer one day for his actions. I kind of hope it backfires now.

I want to still like Rex and hope he does well, but this is a classless act and it's pretty disturbing that a guy like that doesn't even suffer one day for his actions. I kind of hope it backfires now.
It would prob be the greatest sports story of all time if he breaks Rex Ryan's jaw.

Hard to be more awesome an ending to a story.

I'm hoping he gets in a fight with Incognito. The headlines will be awesome for weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread