What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

## OFFICIAL ## Taylor Swift thread (1 Viewer)

Taylor Swift is not my cup of tea but her songs seem catchy. Friends that are country music fans do not like her because they think she is too pop and not really country.

There is a lot of music out there today that is much worse.
Such as actual country music. Granted, I like the older songs in country, but the modern stuff is just pop music with a steel guitar and an accent.
The "I like old country, but not new country" schtick is getting so played out. I bet you don't have a TV or facebook account either.
Yeah new country is pop with a steel guitar. So I like country better than I like pop with a steel guitar.
There is very little steel guitar played in new country music. A lot of slide, but sparring on the steel. If you would like to make a determination about a subject you know next to nothing about... by all means...
I was just using a general term. You do realize that all you need to do to be playing steel guitar is to use a steel on a slide guitar right? I mean you must because I am apparently an idiot and you are a musical genius and I knew that. Want to get your panties in a wad over some other trivial non issue Christo? Rock on.
It's about time you admitted it ;)

Taylor Swift is not my cup of tea but her songs seem catchy. Friends that are country music fans do not like her because they think she is too pop and not really country.

Such as actual country music. Granted, I like the older songs in country, but the modern stuff is just pop music with a steel guitar and an accent.
The "I like old country, but not new country" schtick is getting so played out. I bet you don't have a TV or facebook account either.
Yeah new country is pop with a steel guitar. So I like country better than I like pop with a steel guitar.
There is very little steel guitar played in new country music. A lot of slide, but sparring on the steel. If you would like to make a determination about a subject you know next to nothing about... by all means...
I was just using a general term. You do realize that all you need to do to be playing steel guitar is to use a steel on a slide guitar right? I mean you must because I am apparently an idiot and you are a musical genius and I knew that. Want to get your panties in a wad over some other trivial non issue Christo? Rock on.
In a simple white dress, the singer kept her performance of the new song inside the theater, as opposed to last year's New York subway production. Moments from last year's Kanye fiasco flashed on an old television screen before the camera panned to a darkly lit Swift. As the songstress played her steel guitar, she sang the story of an individual who has lost his path.
The four-minute ode to newfound love finds Taylor giving a callback to her Nashville sound of old, with more mandolin and pedal-steel guitars than were apparent in the preview. And, because this is a Taylor Swift song, we also learn more things that sucked about her ex. Did you know he didn’t even like it when she wore heels? What a jerk.

Last edited by a moderator:

In a simple white dress, the singer kept her performance of the new song inside the theater, as opposed to last year's New York subway production. Moments from last year's Kanye fiasco flashed on an old television screen before the camera panned to a darkly lit Swift. As the songstress played her steel guitar, she sang the story of an individual who has lost his path.
The four-minute ode to newfound love finds Taylor giving a callback to her Nashville sound of old, with more mandolin and pedal-steel guitars than were apparent in the preview. And, because this is a Taylor Swift song, we also learn more things that sucked about her ex. Did you know he didn’t even like it when she wore heels? What a jerk.
:thumbup: I'm sure the writing on those songs was perfect.

BTW this is the most effort I have ever put into thinking about Taylor. She is really an unremarkable one trick pony at this point in her career IMO and I don't know if she'll ever move beyond that. Still she does sell a lot of records and it's all about the score board really. I'm mainly giving Jutz a hard time at this point though.

I keep hearing people that hate Taylor Swift. Given that I don't listen to what passes for country these days, I'm not in tune with the country music scene.Did she kill a bunch of puppies? Pee in everyone's Wheaties? What makes her such a target of derision?
Are you hearing it from people that listen to country music? If so, they might hate her because she's completely crossed over to pop music now.
So much of country has crossed over to pop at this point.

That said...don't care too much for her music...but she seems to be an ok person on a few things.When Nashville flooded a few years ago local station with the help of Vince Gill and some others put on a telethon to raise money for recovery efforts.Some stars from the area were donating money...nice amounts for sure.Swift called in and donated $500k. Now this was several years ago before she was as big and rich as she is now.Just something about that stuck with me that while she has her boyfriend schtick...won't give her too much beef about it.Oh, and I don't think her Grammy stuff was fake...I think she still is just kind of a goofy young chick who enjoyed the music.

BTW this is the most effort I have ever put into thinking about Taylor. She is really an unremarkable one trick pony at this point in her career IMO and I don't know if she'll ever move beyond that. Still she does sell a lot of records and it's all about the score board really. I'm mainly giving Jutz a hard time at this point though.
Damn... That what I thought i was doing to you :kicksrock: As far as weather she will move beyond it... as long as the checks are rolling in... I doubt it. I don't claim to know squat about girls, but it seems to me most at her age are boy crazy. Maybe when shes 40?

I was asked to be her date to an awards show a couple years ago. Turned her down. No shtick.
Seriously? Why not go?
Award shows are lame and boring. Country music doubly so. A Country Music Award Show could have killed me.
You really should have gone.
When he dumped her later that night, she could have wrote a #1 hit song about him.
He probably hid away to find his piece of mind with an indie record that was much cooler then her's.

I was asked to be her date to an awards show a couple years ago. Turned her down. No shtick.
Seriously? Why not go?
Award shows are lame and boring. Country music doubly so. A Country Music Award Show could have killed me.
When he dumped her later that night, she could have wrote a #1 hit song about him.
He probably hid away to find his piece of mind with an indie record that was much cooler then her's.
You're confusing him for Apple Jack.

Seriously? Why not go?
:lmao:

Seriously? Why not go?
don't forget the roadside arapaho jerky or WTF it is.

At 1st I thought she was a complete trainwreck, no talent hack especially when she tried to sing with Stevie Nicks.Then my 5 yo daughter started liking her and I learned some of the guitar and we belt out the songs together - Kinda fun and umm, targeted for 5 year old to teenage Girls.Unless you have a young daughter you probably SHOULD think her writing / music is simple and bland popcorn crap and Hate her... I gave her credit from the start though for writing as opposed to those Disney kids who just get up there and robot whatever Disney thinks will sell.....Next Tour in NY.. I'm There! She puts on an elaborate show that is probably going to be something pretty special for my 5 yo. And I don't mind lots of backup dancers, milfs and stuff...... and as simple and bland as it is, I think it's inspiring to kids to try and play and write and I don't doubt that Taylor will grow as well - how can you not musically from a 13 year old to a 20 something selling out arenas. There's a TON out there to hate more than TS.

My five year-old likes her. She wrote this song Ronan She also gave Ronan's mom a writing credit which amounted to hundreds of thousands of dollars used for a cancer foundation. She's not my cup of tea but I wish her the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously? Why not go?
don't forget the roadside arapaho jerky or WTF it is.
And the Flaming Lips performance at a concert he didn't attend.

At 1st I thought she was a complete trainwreck, no talent hack especially when she tried to sing with Stevie Nicks.Then my 5 yo daughter started liking her and I learned some of the guitar and we belt out the songs together - Kinda fun and umm, targeted for 5 year old to teenage Girls.Unless you have a young daughter you probably SHOULD think her writing / music is simple and bland popcorn crap and Hate her... I gave her credit from the start though for writing as opposed to those Disney kids who just get up there and robot whatever Disney thinks will sell.....Next Tour in NY.. I'm There! She puts on an elaborate show that is probably going to be something pretty special for my 5 yo. And I don't mind lots of backup dancers, milfs and stuff...... and as simple and bland as it is, I think it's inspiring to kids to try and play and write and I don't doubt that Taylor will grow as well - how can you not musically from a 13 year old to a 20 something selling out arenas. There's a TON out there to hate more than TS.
:goodposting: good perspective.

Pedal steel is a different instrument than the steel guitar referenced in your first quote. Perhaps that's the point you're trying to make.

Seriously? Why not go?
I didn't go because it would have been more work than fun. It was some award show she was attending as a nominee, presenting an award at, and performing. The production company wanted me to be her body-man for the evening. Show up with her, sit next to her at the show, but be the person responsible for making sure she hit all her spots on time. The red carpet 32 minutes before showtime, then in her seat so the camera could catch her for some such thing, then whisk her backstage during the commercial break to get ready to present, then get her to the dressing room to change for her song, then get her back after to change again, back to her seat, etc.It required down-to-the-minute precision and coordination with the crew, which meant I'd have to rehearse. 8 hours on a Saturday, then again before the show on Sunday, then sit through the four-hour telecast filled with crap I don't listen to. The only plus was I'd get to wear a secret-service style earwig and wrist-walkie-talkie deal.

Unless you have a young daughter you probably SHOULD think her writing / music is simple and bland popcorn crap and Hate her... I gave her credit from the start though for writing as opposed to those Disney kids who just get up there and robot whatever Disney thinks will sell.....
:goodposting: nail meet head

Seriously? Why not go?
I didn't go because it would have been more work than fun. It was some award show she was attending as a nominee, presenting an award at, and performing. The production company wanted me to be her body-man for the evening. Show up with her, sit next to her at the show, but be the person responsible for making sure she hit all her spots on time. The red carpet 32 minutes before showtime, then in her seat so the camera could catch her for some such thing, then whisk her backstage during the commercial break to get ready to present, then get her to the dressing room to change for her song, then get her back after to change again, back to her seat, etc.It required down-to-the-minute precision and coordination with the crew, which meant I'd have to rehearse. 8 hours on a Saturday, then again before the show on Sunday, then sit through the four-hour telecast filled with crap I don't listen to. The only plus was I'd get to wear a secret-service style earwig and wrist-walkie-talkie deal.
I've always wanted to do something that required me to wear a wrist walkie talkie. I don't think I could have resisted that. Having the chance to talk into your wrist, but for real, would be awesome.

I keep hearing people that hate Taylor Swift. Given that I don't listen to what passes for country these days, I'm not in tune with the country music scene.Did she kill a bunch of puppies? Pee in everyone's Wheaties? What makes her such a target of derision?
She's successful. It the classic "Money for Nothing". :shrug:

are you saying Taylor Swift gets her chicks for free?

are you saying Taylor Swift gets her chicks for free?
yeah... whats up with that :confused:

Her lyrics are mostly vapid, but a number of her songs are well-written musically.
Personally, both her lyrics and melody sound similar in most of the songs I hear from her on the radio.
So you DO listen to her. I knew it!
For about 5 seconds whenever the local sports talk station is in commercial, yes.
That's awesome that you can draw conclusions about artists from several 5 second clips. I admire effeciency.

Her lyrics are mostly vapid, but a number of her songs are well-written musically.
Personally, both her lyrics and melody sound similar in most of the songs I hear from her on the radio.
So you DO listen to her. I knew it!
For about 5 seconds whenever the local sports talk station is in commercial, yes.
That's awesome that you can draw conclusions about artists from several 5 second clips. I admire effeciency.
To be fair, I have heard many of her songs all the way through when I heard them for the first time. I turn the station if I've heard it before.

There is this guy on my bus and we talk quite a bit. One day I let him see my phone and he took my number from my phone. And the next day he asked me if my number was and then he said my number. And he said he, "did a little research." And he looks at me quite a bit. And another day we traded iPods. He likes to listen to my iPod. And today he wanted to see my headband and he was playing with it and putting it on and making me laugh. Oh and on another day these 6th graders were talking about how some 8th grader was threating them and their friends and he said that if he did it again then they should come find him and he would take care of it and while he said that he was looknig right at me and smiling. Do you think he likes me? If he does like me should I ask him out or flirt quite a bit and see if he asks me out? Thanks I'll answer yours XOXO Courtnee

There is this guy on my bus and we talk quite a bit. One day I let him see my phone and he took my number from my phone. And the next day he asked me if my number was and then he said my number. And he said he, "did a little research." And he looks at me quite a bit. And another day we traded iPods. He likes to listen to my iPod. And today he wanted to see my headband and he was playing with it and putting it on and making me laugh. Oh and on another day these 6th graders were talking about how some 8th grader was threating them and their friends and he said that if he did it again then they should come find him and he would take care of it and while he said that he was looknig right at me and smiling. Do you think he likes me? If he does like me should I ask him out or flirt quite a bit and see if he asks me out? Thanks I'll answer yours XOXO Courtnee
You're off the case McGarnicle.

Boring, not sexy, limited talksinging talent. No thanks.My 3yo daughter singing never ever ever certainly doesn't help her cause.

I don't know about hate but I don't have much respect for her as an artist. Her whole shtick is date guy, lose guy, write song about how it was all guys fault because Taylor is a flawless human being. Rinse and repeat. It's kind of been done to death.
Gimmie a break. She is an excellent writer. That is why she is a better artist compared to most in any genere. Maybe you don't get her lyrics, or like her writing, but you're not a young girl in her early 20's so I wouldn't necessarily expect you to. Her lyrics relate very directly with her target audience. And anyone that actually knows her songs knows that not every song is about losing the guy. Often times they stay together (Love Story, Tim McGraw, Mine, Our Song, Ours, Sparks Fly). Sometimes the song is about her wanting the guy back after they split up (Back To December). Sometimes it's about a new relationship starting (Begin Again). The idea that ALL her songs are about 'The Breakup' is basically what people that know very little about her like to say... which goes back to the OP's point. Why?
Rhianna dating the guy who abused her, that's juicyTaylor playing the role of well adjusted normal citizen pisses people offthank GOD young girls are listening to her
:goodposting: My daughters can listen to Swift's albums all they want.
I am 38 with a 10 year-old girl who loves Taylor Swift...my generation had Madonna, this one has Swift...as a dad, I could be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread