What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh (1 Viewer)

That ignores my point, which isn’t about depth, but breadth of knowledge. I’ve never seen anybody be able to answer every category....even iirc, Jennings. This guy has knowledge about everything ranging from religion, to history, geography, pop culture, sports, science, literature, etc, etc...and hasn’t been shut out of a category yet. All champions I’ve seen run into a category or three where they’re clearly ignorant.
Watching at home I can answer usually 85%+ of the questions on a bad day. Usually I’m above 95%. And plenty of times I wouldn’t know the answer and get it right based on the clue. I can easily get at least one correct from every category every day (excluding FJ, since there’s only the one question per day and I either can guess it or not).

There have been plenty of questions that James hasn’t even rung in on, so he doesn’t know all the answers. And you can tell some times when he’s making a guess based on the clue rather than knowing the answer.

If you gave me no time limit and no competition for answering, I could easily get close to his accuracy. The part that makes him great at the game is buzzing in first and staying cool under pressure so his mind doesn’t blank.

I find this hard to believe. Have you ever really collected data on that? You should be on air if you’re regularly topping 95%.
I haven’t, but most of the questions on air aren’t hard. The test to qualify for tryouts is much harder. Then you have to get called in to pass the tryouts, which I wouldn’t do nearly as well at. And they want people who are at least somewhat photogenic, which I am not, so I would never get picked to be on TV.

Thinking about it, 95% is probably too high, as there are only 61 questions per game. So maybe 95% on good days, 85%+ on normal ones, 75% on a bad day.

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe for the top .01% of trivia experts 90% is doable.  
As an example, the other day they had a clue, and I don’t even remember the clue. I know it had “Egypt” and “opera” or “operatic” or something. I believe it was talking about characters, but they wanted the name of the work. There’s only one classical opera set in Egypt, which is Aida, which was the correct answer.

Knowing nothing else about Aida, I heard those 2 words in the clue and got it right. They do this all the time. People don’t want to watch a quiz show where the contestants just stand silently in ignorance for 30 minutes. These are trivia people, most of whom study up for the show. But you can’t know everything and it’s harder to do under pressure and in competition with other contestants, so they give you as much help as they can. Playing along at home is much easier than being on the show. Start with a good base of general trivia knowledge and you can do really well from your couch.

As an example, the other day they had a clue, and I don’t even remember the clue. I know it had “Egypt” and “opera” or “operatic” or something. I believe it was talking about characters, but they wanted the name of the work. There’s only one classical opera set in Egypt, which is Aida, which was the correct answer.
That's actually pretty awesome how you put all the clues together.  But you have to realize for most of us mortals that none of those clues would lead to anything.  The fact you know of an opera in Egypt is impressive.  

Maybe you're one of the .01%'ere of trivia people.  For the rest being able to answer 80%+ of questions on jeopardy is super impressive.

The contestant exam is usually 50 of the $2000 questions from the past year, and you need to get 45 right (90%) to move on in the screening process.
How do you know this?  The Jeopardy people don't tell what the criteria are.

Besides, I know I've missed more clues than that in the pre-screening and still been called in.  From my stats, I figure the "pass" rate is about 40 correct out of 50.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's actually pretty awesome how you put all the clues together.  But you have to realize for most of us mortals that none of those clues would lead to anything.  The fact you know of an opera in Egypt is impressive.  

Maybe you're one of the .01%'ere of trivia people.  For the rest being able to answer 80%+ of questions on jeopardy is super impressive.
I came up with Aida the same way.   :shrug:  

If you've watched Jeopardy or done crossword puzzles even semi-regularly, you know that anytime you see "opera" and "Egypt" in the same sentence the correct response is "Aida" 

If you've watched Jeopardy or done crossword puzzles even semi-regularly, you know that anytime you see "opera" and "Egypt" in the same sentence the correct response is "Aida" 
I don't know squat about opera (unless it's based on a Greek myth) and even I know the Aida combo.

How do you know this?  The Jeopardy people don't tell what the criteria are.

Besides, I know I've missed more clues than that in the pre-screening and still been called in.  From my stats, I figure the "pass" rate is about 40 correct out of 50.
When I tried out (a long time ago), you needed to score 70% or higher (35 out of 50) in 13 minutes to move on. You had to write down the answers in pencil. And back then, the questions were about the equivalent of $1,200 - $2,000 double Jeopardy type. Of course it could be very different now.

I passed the youth championship test back in the day.   I probably get 35-45 right every night.  And many of those I'd lose the buzzer war while thinking the answer through.  So I'm getting totally crushed on the show.  I suspect the typical contestant knows 85% of the answers immediately.

So much is category dependent.   Literature, Opera, Plays ... I'm fairly useless.  Therein lies the issue with the average person.  Breadth of knowledge is a very tough thing.

I passed the youth championship test back in the day.   I probably get 35-45 right every night.  And many of those I'd lose the buzzer war while thinking the answer through.  So I'm getting totally crushed on the show.  I suspect the typical contestant knows 85% of the answers immediately.

So much is category dependent.   Literature, Opera, Plays ... I'm fairly useless.  Therein lies the issue with the average person.  Breadth of knowledge is a very tough thing.
But they just give the answers away on those.

Because I have no idea how fast I would buzz in I only give myself credit for a few every show.  FJ, DJ, & ones that nobody gets or buzzes in on.

You can always study.

I know bcd IRL, he’s wicked smart and knows more useless #### than anybody I’ve ever met.  His weak spot is sports though - that’s where you get him.

And he’s a giant #####.  Can’t win ‘em all.

FTR:  They don't tell you what the "passing" score is when you take the test in person.  They only tell you if you passed or not.  

The Teachers Tournament was taped prior to this spot in the James run.  Evidence was there was a shoutout in FJ today.

You're talking about the Coryat Score. The 'best' way to judge your skill relative to the game is to track the dollar values of the questions you get right in an episode, counting Daily Doubles as only worth whatever clue value they are hidden behind, and ignoring FJ. A potential contestant should range about $36,000 average per episode to be considered good enough to be competitive on the show. 
I was wondering what the Coryat score was.

I might get 50%+ watching the show.
My best run was when I guessed the answer to Final Jeopardy based on the category and before seeing the question.  I did this like 3 out of 5 days straight.  Blind luck.

I was wondering what the Coryat score was.

I might get 50%+ watching the show.
My best run was when I guessed the answer to Final Jeopardy based on the category and before seeing the question.  I did this like 3 out of 5 days straight.  Blind luck.
Did that last night.

The woman next to him looked like she wanted to punch him in the throat, especially after they came back from the break and due to errors, she lost money and James gained almost the same amount.

The woman next to him looked like she wanted to punch him in the throat, especially after they came back from the break and due to errors, she lost money and James gained almost the same amount.
Sorry but that was pretty hilarious. Just more piling on.  :lmao:

And at the time he answered that question, his reaction was that he totally knew he was right and they were wrong.  Liked his answer to Alex about his college studies question.  :lmao:

After this is over they should have a best loser tournament. Invite back the highest money total contestants that James vanquished.

It's back to the boring James show, where the game is over in early Double Jeopardy. And his opponents have that "Why me?" look.  :sleep:

Users who are viewing this thread