Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
TobiasFunke

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh

7 hours ago, Kevrunner said:

I amazed that this episode was filmed March 12th, almost 2 months ago and was able to stay spoiler proof, we’ll almost.

Wow, I didn't know they filmed that far in advance. 

14 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I honesty had no clue we had so many Jeopardy watchers in this geriatric forum. 

Best entertainment my social security can buy. 

• Like 1

Ironically my wife wasn’t spoiled at all. But we paused it on the dvr to put the kid to bed and her mom texted her “wow can’t believe he lost” 10 minutes before we saw it. :lmao: Guess it was just bound to happen. 

• Laughing 1

At first glance thought his FJ wager was odd/out of place but saw that it was his only/best bet.  She had to miss the question and he had to cover third place. Nothing else James could do there.

Both the other players were very smart and quick to the buzzer.  Only one question was missed the entire game.  Crazy. 

Emma played flawlessly and her getting the DDs in the second round sealed her win.  Also, as was mentioned above, when she didn't win the buzzer, Jay often did creating a tough road for James to overcome.  

It was a great run. Hope to see him back in a champions tourney.  

I figured James would eventually lose by getting a DD or a FJ wrong.  Kind of crazy that he lost getting both right.  He didn't dominate the buzzer and both opponents were very good. He got every answer right and still lost.  wow.

Emma also knew who she was facing and planned to be aggressive from the start.  I wonder if she was one of his earlier opponents would she have played the same.  Would she play a true daily double in the DJ round?  

Emma hasn't aged much from her role in True Grit (1969) with John Wayne.

1969      2019

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

1969      2019

Can’t believe she is 27. Haircut of a 48-year-old.  

2 minutes ago, Capella said:

Can’t believe she is 27. Haircut of a 48-year-old.  

27?  I thought she was into her late 30s.  

1 hour ago, Jayrok said:

Emma also knew who she was facing and planned to be aggressive from the start.  I wonder if she was one of his earlier opponents would she have played the same.  Would she play a true daily double in the DJ round?  

No way. It really looked like she had to force herself to do it. Even though everyone (including herself) knew she had no other choice.

PS - Bobby spoiled it for me too. Not angry about it, but definitely annoying. I was considerate enough not to spoil it for my family.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

No way. It really looked like she had to force herself to do it. Even though everyone (including herself) knew she had no other choice.

PS - Bobby spoiled it for me too. Not angry about it, but definitely annoying. I was considerate enough not to spoil it for my family.

Yeah we knew it was his losing game once I saw Emma as a player.  Didn't know if it would air Monday or another day this week.  My wife saw it elsewhere but didn't say anything to me but I saw this thread yesterday morning and figured the leaked story was that he lost.  

I wasn't angry either, just bummed out a little.  We've been tuning in for awhile now during his run. Before I'd only try to tune in at least during FJ to see the question.  I was glad to see that Emma played a great game to challenge him and that he didn't just have a horrible day.  Hope we see him again sometime on there. 

Edit to add:  I agree that she wouldn't have been as bold if she didn't know what she was up against.  

Edited by Jayrok

12 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

BTW, the other guy qualifies as one of the best 3rd placer finishers ever.

:goodposting:Yeah, he really got robbed from his shining nerd moment of being a returning champ.  He memorized the entire Trivial Pursuit 1st Edition as a child!  He missed one answer.

Poor bastard.

• Like 1

Holy crap the hair is AWESOME.  And the librarian attire to go with it.  Where did she even find that stuff to wear, along with a salon that won't tell her to leave 1950's?

God bless EMMA, you go!

Even the name is perfect, I'm dying over here. 😂  HUGE FAN, will be watching tonight.

• Like 1

While I had it spoiled for me here, it was hard to avoid spoilers as the day went on.  By late afternoon, I started seeing stuff like "Did James win or lose on Jeopardy today? Click to find out", where the result was not even cleverly disguised because there's only one answer that would result on there even being an article on that.

My wife had it spoiled for her too.  We ended up watching in stony silence because neither of us wanted to hint to the other that we knew the result, although we both knew it.

Edited by Don Quixote

11 hours ago, chet said:

I never make fun of people who mispronounce words--they learned them by reading. 

Camus' name comes up often enough on Jeopardy! though--did you break your ankle jumping off the bandwagon when James lost?

Ooooooh a Jeopardy snob!

• Laughing 2

22 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

My wife had it spoiled for her too.  We ended up watching in stony silence because neither of us wanted to hit to the other that we knew the result, although we both knew it.

A 21st Century gift of the magi story.

• Like 1

They were definitely going to make James earn that Ken Jennings record.  Emma was the Jeopardy Manchurian candidate they brought out of cold storage.  A Hulk buster.  She has to go on a run of her own right?  The released her in the wild...she can't be contained.

But Boettcher, who has been watching “Jeopardy!” for a long time and tracking her scores at home in a notebook for five years, already had a strategy to go for higher-value clues and find the “Daily Doubles.” Holzhauer got the “Daily Double” in the first round right, and Boettcher nailed the two “Daily Doubles” in the second round.

She led Holzhauer by $3,200 going into “Final Jeopardy” and she was “delighted” to see the final clue was about William Shakespeare’s era. Boettcher knew it was her category — she was an English major at Princeton University and her undergraduate thesis was on Shakespeare’s plays.

this thread be -  tl;dr

so, i dunno if this had been broached already .... is "Potent Potables" still a category in rotation?

TIA 

:shrug:

56 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

:goodposting:Yeah, he really got robbed from his shining nerd moment of being a returning champ.  He memorized the entire Trivial Pursuit 1st Edition as a child!  He missed one answer.

Poor bastard.

He’s a huge poster on the r/Opera forum, & he’ll be referencing his “I coulda been a contender” schtick for at least 14 years.

2 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

BTW, the other guy qualifies as one of the best 3rd placer finishers ever.

Seems like the execs were gunning for James in this one. Put a regular contestant as the other challenger and James still wins.

22 hours ago, Galileo said:
22 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I watched part of 1 episode during this run, but I'll now almost assuredly watch this one tonight to see how he found himself trailing going into FJ. Maybe that's the benefit of this being leaked.

meh...seems to be a much bigger story for promoting viewership if he has the possibility of breaking the all time record.  I can't imagine the powers that be are happy about this.

Apparently last night's episode of him losing was the highest rated episode in the last 10 years. People tuned in knowing what would happen. 

Edited by Walking Boot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, otb_lifer said:

this thread be -  tl;dr

so, i dunno if this had been broached already .... is "Potent Potables" still a category in rotation?

TIA 

:shrug:

Not sure 

I always liked Let it Snow

41 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Apparently last night's episode of him losing was the highest rated episode in the last 10 years. People tuned in knowing what would happen. 

Well, there you go.  I continue to prove that I don't know ####.  

13 hours ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

He’s going to spend all his money on those creepy Japanese pillows that look like cartoon girls.

Look man, no need to fumo-shame.

• Like 1

Five episodes are taped each day, with two days of taping every other week.

James appeared on 33 episodes, which means he was only on set 7 actual days for tapings.

So do contestants on winning streaks have to foot the bill to travel to California every other week for the tapings if they travel home between the tapings?

Also, an interesting tidbit: spoilers would have hit the internet Monday before the episode aired that night no matter what, as the first Jeopardy broadcast of the day debuted in Montgomery, Ala., where the local CBS affiliate airs the show at 9:30 a.m. Central Time. 

36 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

That's a sweet gig for Alex.....work 2 / off 12.

3 minutes ago, boilerdave said:

That's a sweet gig for Alex.....work 2 / off 12.

I think pat and vanna have a similar deal. Plus paid vacations if they go on location.

1 hour ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Not sure 

I always liked Let it Snow

taken in the context of the modern parlance, that might be as buzzworthy as Potent Potables :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Yep. I’d never have watched if the vague spoiler wasn’t posted.

And it’s pretty insulting how the new winner’s nearly flawless play is being described as lucky by some.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

James appeared on 33 episodes, which means he was only on set 7 actual days for tapings.

So do contestants on winning streaks have to foot the bill to travel to California every other week for the tapings if they travel home between the tapings?

Also, an interesting tidbit: spoilers would have hit the internet Monday before the episode aired that night no matter what, as the first Jeopardy broadcast of the day debuted in Montgomery, Ala., where the local CBS affiliate airs the show at 9:30 a.m. Central Time. 

Exhibit # 323 on why Alabama is ### backwards.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Captain Cranks said:

Exhibit # 323 on why Alabama is ### backwards.  

Gotta get all the learning done before football practice starts.

• Laughing 5

6 hours ago, Jayrok said:

1969      2019

The first thing I said when the show started was, "Look!  It's Kim Darby's hair!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wingnut said:

Contestants pay to go to CA the first time.  After that, the show pays.

The show's producers say they know who leaked the pirated footage and will be prosecuting.  The various air times of the show have never been an issue before.  

• Like 1

Spoiler for tonight's show? Something that's never happened before!:

Emma wins. 

She becomes the first "giant killer" to win more than one episode after ending a 10+ episode run.

Previously, Nancy Zerg (defeated Ken Jennings, 74 wins), Diana Peloquin (defeated Arthur Chu, 11 wins), Victoria Groce (defeated David Madden, 19 wins), Brian Loughnane (defeated Julia Collins, 20 wins), Michael Baker (defeated Matt Jackson, 13 wins), Scarlett Sims (defeated Austin Rogers, 12 wins), and Margie Ott (defeated Seth Wilson, 12 wins) all lost their second games.

4 hours ago, shuke said:

Ooooooh a Jeopardy snob!

It took you 12+ hours to come up with that?  Not surprised you're not a regular viewer, Mr. Cae-muss.

8 hours ago, Capella said:

Ironically my wife wasn’t spoiled at all. But we paused it on the dvr to put the kid to bed and her mom texted her “wow can’t believe he lost” 10 minutes before we saw it. :lmao: Guess it was just bound to happen. 

I've made the mistake of clicking in here 3-4 times during his run and saw the amount James won because East Coast viewers already saw the episode.  

If you don't like being spoiled, don't consider moving to the West Coast.

1 hour ago, Terminalxylem said:

Yep. I’d never have watched if the vague spoiler wasn’t posted.

And it’s pretty insulting how the new winner’s nearly flawless play is being described as lucky by some.

Um have you ever watched sports?  People will slander dynasties like the Warriors and Patriots at any cost.

3 hours ago, hagmania said:

Look man, no need to fumo-shame.

Fumo Shame is the name of my Vapors cover band.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Captain Cranks said:

I'm sad to see James go.  He's been extremely entertaining and ultimately i found him to be quite likable.  

Same here, man. Almost feels like there's nothing to look forward to after work now.

I certainly won't be watching until Emma is out of the picture. James brought excitement to my life 7PM every day for the the past 6 weeks.

It's kind of like hooking up with a girl way out of your league. You know it's not going to last forever and when it's over, it's hard to go back to chasing a plain Jane.

Gotta sulk for awhile...

Edited by Raptors409
  • Like 2