What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh (3 Viewers)

I was really hoping the winner would donate a bigly portion to pancreatic cancer research.  This tournament was something of a lifetime achievement event ...a donation would symbolize a lifetime recognition for Alex' career on the show.  That would have been epic.
I understand the thought, but it really isnt realistic. Jennings is at an age where 4M dollars is obviously life changing, but probably not enough to comfortably retire. Meanwhile Trebek pulls in about 10M a year and can easily donate much more without it impacting his life (or his family). I dont think its up to Jennings to make a lifetime recognition in Trebek's honor. 

I understand the thought, but it really isnt realistic. Jennings is at an age where 4M dollars is obviously life changing, but probably not enough to comfortably retire. Meanwhile Trebek pulls in about 10M a year and can easily donate much more without it impacting his life (or his family). I dont think its up to Jennings to make a lifetime recognition in Trebek's honor. 
I'm with this. and how much is he taking home of that 1mil? 600k? Can and should definitely donate to pancreatic cancer research... But "bigly"? Anything in 5 digits is a big chunk (both of his earnings and in general) but is more symbolic than game changing in terms of the research....which is ok imo.

$4M is plenty to comfortably retire on assuming some modest return on investment.  Most people that smart don't want to retire.  A token gift of $50k would have been sufficient.   

$4M is plenty to comfortably retire on assuming some modest return on investment.  Most people that smart don't want to retire.  A token gift of $50k would have been sufficient.   
I guess I didnt consider 50K to be a "bigly portion"

I understand what Tri Man was getting at and it probably would have been a cool moment. I just dont think its realistic. 
Definitely not.  Ken writes books for a living.  He will make 600k.  Im sure he has donated and will donate something.  But a big sum is not required.  They have more than shown their love of Alex.  Now if that was 100 M it would be different.  But 1M is not alot and Ken has his family to think of as well. 

Did ken want another game or something? Or was he just betting on James not knowing it? 
I thought it was odd that James didn't bet enough to win.  Even if he got the question correct wouldn't he have still lost because Ken bet all his points?  Didn't he bet like 11k or something like that? 

Unless I'm missing something, Ken's bet didn't matter. James was going to go all in, and win if he was right no matter what. 
But James didn't go all in on FJ, did he?  I seem to remember his FJ bet being oddly low.  Or maybe I'm a bit senile.  

I thought it was odd that James didn't bet enough to win.  Even if he got the question correct wouldn't he have still lost because Ken bet all his points?  Didn't he bet like 11k or something like that? 
That was in the first half.

But James didn't go all in on FJ, did he?  I seem to remember his FJ bet being oddly low.  Or maybe I'm a bit senile.  
James went all in in the second game. 

Important to note they combine both scores at the end. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That was in the first half.

James went all in in the second game. 

Important to note they combine both scores at the end. 
Thanks.  I knew they combined at the end and I suppose that's what confused me.  I thought he didn't go all in during the second game, but you're right and now I remember that it was the first game that he didn't go all in on FJ.  

Man, what a run by Ken. He beat James using James’ own style
I wonder if any Jeopardy! :nerd:  has gone back and re-played all of Ken's run to see what the outcome would have been if he employees James's strategy on DDs and FJ. Have to think he would have beat James' records and overall haul (and maybe even Brad's?). Although, there may have been a game in his run where Ken missed a DD or FJ that still enabled him to win because he was conservative (and would have lost the streak if he was all-in.)

I wonder what significance that number had to him...he looked emotional hitting it.
I am guessing the bet was his wife's birthday.  It was 11381 I think.  Some internet time wasting shows she is 3 years older than him, and Wikipedia has his birthday in 1984.  

Sure, are you one of the best 2-3 people in the world in something that draws 18M viewers over the course of a week? It not, your logic fails. 
My logic does not fail. They knew the terms and Im sure were happy to be part of it.

I dont think the network knows how big something like this is going to actually be. The prize seems more than fair to me.  :shrug:

My logic does not fail. They knew the terms and Im sure were happy to be part of it.

I dont think the network knows how big something like this is going to actually be. The prize seems more than fair to me.  :shrug:
Nobody is disputing their happiness or saying they didn’t know the terms but they were still severely underpaid. 1.5M total for potentially 72M viewers total is insane. 

You don't think the network knew how big this was going to be? Ok.

I wonder if any Jeopardy! :nerd:  has gone back and re-played all of Ken's run to see what the outcome would have been if he employees James's strategy on DDs and FJ. Have to think he would have beat James' records and overall haul (and maybe even Brad's?). Although, there may have been a game in his run where Ken missed a DD or FJ that still enabled him to win because he was conservative (and would have lost the streak if he was all-in.)
This would be interesting but i agree.  If Ken had employed James strategy i think he destroys all records.  Ken was overall more consistent.  Im also impressed he was still sharp.  Like how much time did they have to prepare? 

This would be interesting but i agree.  If Ken had employed James strategy i think he destroys all records.  Ken was overall more consistent.  Im also impressed he was still sharp.  Like how much time did they have to prepare? 
these questions were as hard and esoteric as I can ever remember the show having and ken seemed to know everything about everything, even here- and was crushing the timing of the buzzer as well. I had seen something prior to the event where he was concerned that as an "older" person, his recall and reflexes might have suffered relative to his run... apparently not. I wouldn't be surprised if he had been trying to buzz in on most of the questions, even the ones james or brad won out on.

these questions were as hard and esoteric as I can ever remember the show having and ken seemed to know everything about everything, even here- and was crushing the timing of the buzzer as well. I had seen something prior to the event where he was concerned that as an "older" person, his recall and reflexes might have suffered relative to his run... apparently not. I wouldn't be surprised if he had been trying to buzz in on most of the questions, even the ones james or brad won out on.
I think there were lots of Qs Ken was just winning the buzzer and then trying to figure out the answer.

James got a little unlucky on the DDs -- maybe a lot unlucky -- but I still think the best player won.

Ken's little pause, then answer, then acting surprised he got it correct was a bit much. I don't think he missed one when he did that whole act. Guy has a bit of ham in him.

Ken knew the majority, if not all, of the questions the other two buzzed first.  You could sometimes see his anguish when someone out-buzzed him.  

Ok, they got screwed. Poor fellas. 
:lol:

I have no stake or problem with the amount they won. But given how huge the ratings were for each of these guys win streaks were, added to Alex having limited living days left, the network knew full well this was going to be huge- my comment was in response to you saying they couldn't know that.

Ken's little pause, then answer, then acting surprised he got it correct was a bit much. I don't think he missed one when he did that whole act. Guy has a bit of ham in him.
He admitted that he was guessing most of the time on the DDs and didn't "know" the answers. The pause was him working out the best guess. And he probably was surprised when he got it right. The other two did the same. You don't have to know all the answers - if you know enough about the subject, you can guess the right answer most of the time. 

My idea is to have a race to a certain point point.  Start out with low value clues then up the ante day by day.  Someone will go all in at 50% of the target and it will be epic.

He admitted that he was guessing most of the time on the DDs and didn't "know" the answers. The pause was him working out the best guess. And he probably was surprised when he got it right. The other two did the same. You don't have to know all the answers - if you know enough about the subject, you can guess the right answer most of the time. 
Exactly.  i think what separates the good from the great is their ability to guess an answer based on the limited information.  Ken is great at that.  They all are.

Didnt James say he was using childrens books to prepare, which makes total sense!

Users who are viewing this thread