What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh (2 Viewers)

I’d like to see them take a few weeks to show some of the classic episodes from the 80’s and 90’s. It would be interesting for some of the younger fans to see how the show has changed over the years. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d like to see them take a few weeks to show some of the classic episodes from the 80’s and 90’s. It would be interesting for some of the younger fans to see how the show has changed over the years. 
They could air the Ken Jennings stuff.  Of course, that could take us to Christmas.

Must have been tough to do that last taping, if they were in production when they were shut down. Not knowing how long it would last or if Alex would be back once they could start again. 
I would hope they wouldn't say anything until after the day's shows were done.  The distraction level would be pretty high.

That last champ was an odd one. She had to comment on every Final Round answer and acted really stressed out in her last game.

Mam, you just won 4 games and almost $90K, relax and enjoy it!

Was fun to watch Ken Jennings first appearance last night. Our guide says teachers tournament, but they are replaying the greatest of all time tournament starting tonight.

Was fun to watch Ken Jennings first appearance last night. 
Funny seeing the Final Jeopardy answer as the somewhat vague " Who is Jones?". I joked that it's a good thing he didn't answer "Who is Smith?".

(Yes, I realize the category narrows things down and there aren't any other possible Joneses for confusion but it still seemed funny to me.Even he looked somewhat nervous if they would accept it. )

BTW, I thought the other two players were very good but they just ran into a buzzsaw.

Funny seeing the Final Jeopardy answer as the somewhat vague " Who is Jones?". I joked that it's a good thing he didn't answer "Who is Smith?".

(Yes, I realize the category narrows things down and there aren't any other possible Joneses for confusion but it still seemed funny to me.Even he looked somewhat nervous if they would accept it. )

BTW, I thought the other two players were very good but they just ran into a buzzsaw.
I was wondering if he even knew her first name. Doesn't seem like he did

Watched it as well and I don't believe he knew her first name.  Was this ever discussed in any of those post streak interviews he has done over the years?

gdub said:
Watched it as well and I don't believe he knew her first name.  Was this ever discussed in any of those post streak interviews he has done over the years?
It would be interesting to compare the records of those who give too much information vs those who give too little. Seems like just the minimum last name is the safer way out?

Speaking of minimums, as much as I like betting on myself to get FJ right vs. betting on the other person to get it wrong, betting nothing gives one a second chance to win with the tiebreaker question. Tough call?

It would be interesting to compare the records of those who give too much information vs those who give too little. Seems like just the minimum last name is the safer way out?
I think last Friday was the replay of Ken's last game on his streak and one question was asking about what a "wife beater" was.  Ken's first answer was "shirt", Alex asked for more, "undershirt" need more "sleeveless undershirt" which then had to go to the judges who decided that it was close enough.

Im guessing a tie no longer brings both players back, but her wager made no sense. Bet zero and give him a chance to miss and then go to the tiebreak.
The tiebreaks are often pretty simple.  It then becomes a fastest to ring in contest.  I guess wagering would depend on your speed there or your confidence in the FJ category.

I think last Friday was the replay of Ken's last game on his streak and one question was asking about what a "wife beater" was.  Ken's first answer was "shirt", Alex asked for more, "undershirt" need more "sleeveless undershirt" which then had to go to the judges who decided that it was close enough.
What was the answer supposed to be?  Did they want “white” added in or something?

1st episode ever on tonight.  Alex looking like a permed Magnum PI.  Tube TVs in the clue boxes.  Obvious glitter around the Jeapordy name plates.  My son started complaining around middle of Single Jeopardy.  We didn't stay through Double.  :cry:  

1st episode ever on tonight.  Alex looking like a permed Magnum PI.  Tube TVs in the clue boxes.  Obvious glitter around the Jeapordy name plates.  My son started complaining around middle of Single Jeopardy.  We didn't stay through Double.  :cry:  
That was fun to watch. I forgot how lame it was when it started.

Contestants ringing in immediately without hearing hardly any of the clue and looking like a deer in the headlights.  :shock:

The clapping and *shocked* crowd reaction to wrong responses after every other question was a bit odd.  It also slowed things down.  it was weird to see 5+ on the board in both rounds.

They should bring back the balloon shape art though.

The clapping and *shocked* crowd reaction to wrong responses after every other question was a bit odd.  It also slowed things down.  it was weird to see 5+ on the board in both rounds.

They should bring back the balloon shape art though.
loved the shocked response.......sounded like a laugh track actually.

Can't believe all three got FJ wrong tonight, that was a softball question
My wife said the same thing. But we all lived through the turn of the 21st century, and there was confusion (remember that Seinfeld episode). 

Also saw a post later on Reddit from someone clearly born after the turn of the century who didn't get it.

Probably didn't seem so crazy at the time that three people didn't know it.

And all 3 finished with 0.  The next time that happened was a recent teen tournament semifinal .
:lmao: :D :lmao:

One of the funniest ever.

Instead of betting $5,001, first place bets it all.

Over the years, I've seen a few 1st place going into Final betting it all, but those morons seemed to get away with it.

I remember watching Jeopardy in my father and stepmother's TV room in their townhouse, where they lived between summer 1983 and fall 1985. So if I didn't see these first episodes, I started not long thereafter. I remember the original run of Chuck Forrest, the first player who really advanced the game.

Just finished watching a rerun of The Chase game show. This episode featured a team that included a pre Jeopardy James Holzhauer . James set a record for highest individual cash builder and his team went on to easily thrash the Beast.

Just finished watching a rerun of The Chase game show. This episode featured a team that included a pre Jeopardy James Holzhauer . James set a record for highest individual cash builder and his team went on to easily thrash the Beast.
Saw this as well.  The prior record for questions answered in the final part was either 21 or 22.  Their team got 26.  Beast knew he had to push it to try and catch and guessed many wrong answers.

Still surprised neither James nor the other dude went for the high money.  Both would have gotten it too.

I saw the end of that one a few months ago and I’m pretty sure I watched it when it was new. Would be funny if they revived that show with him as The Beast.

Saw this as well.  The prior record for questions answered in the final part was either 21 or 22.  Their team got 26.  Beast knew he had to push it to try and catch and guessed many wrong answers.

Still surprised neither James nor the other dude went for the high money.  Both would have gotten it too.
James is a gambler for a living so he knows all about risk assessment. I’m sure he had a rationale for his choice.

I wikied James today and saw that there was a recent add regarding  talks about bringing him and other trivia gurus to play the Beast in a Chase revival.
I had no idea but it seems like a slam dunk. 😄

I enjoyed Master Minds, the show GSN aired earlier this year (hosted by Brooke Burns from The Chase) which featured contestants going up against Jennings and other highly knowledgeable people. It was fun even if the newbies usually didn’t put up much of a fight.

I had no idea but it seems like a slam dunk. 😄

I enjoyed Master Minds, the show GSN aired earlier this year (hosted by Brooke Burns from The Chase) which featured contestants going up against Jennings and other highly knowledgeable people. It was fun even if the newbies usually didn’t put up much of a fight.
They do not give away much money on that show especially going against Jennings.

They do not give away much money on that show especially going against Jennings.
IIRC only one person won the bonus round when they were going up against Jennings, and even that was because they tied him and then got the tiebreaker correct (which the Master Mind doesn't get a chance to answer.)

A good Jeopardy tactic has been to only give the last name in your response unless prompted otherwise.
But spelling isn't supposed to count in Final unless it's the category or affects the pronunciation.  And then there's the beetle vs insect thing.  They're gonna have to fix that, too.

I think the judges are still in quarantine.

https://uproxx.com/sports/jeopardy-fans-furious-final-jeopardy-spelling-ruling/

This ruling was total BS. I would have spelled it the same way. Close enough. 

Funny that the article is filed under ‘Sports.’
I thought the same thing when I saw that.  If she just put Gordy she'd have got it right.  Or B. Gordy.  On Friday's show a contestant just put the last name of the answer and got it right.  

BS ruling imo.  I guess the morale of the story is if you're not sure how to spell the first name, just put the last.  

Users who are viewing this thread